Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn6542

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:41 am

Patches wrote:Quick question regarding books: did you guys end up using all of the books listed as required by each class? I know in undergrad "required" sometimes meant "recommended"...

You're likely to not only buy the required ones but not required supplements, as well. I doubt you're gonna be able to get away with not buying your books.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 am

I would buy most of the books used online if possible. For example the torts book was $120+ in the bookstore and $30 online.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:10 am

spanktheduck wrote:I would buy most of the books used online if possible. For example the torts book was $120+ in the bookstore and $30 online.

A bunch of my stuff is on Amazon right now. So, I think y'all should buy from Amazon.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:27 am

I recommend textbooks.com. They buy back at good prices as well. And I have a lot of supplements that I'll be selling too-- first come first served :-). There is a supplement sale in October where all the 2Ls sell their hornbooks etc. so you can also wait for that.

abecedarian

Postby abecedarian » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 am

And if you want supplements you can just check your e-mail, because inevitably folks will unload them via list-serv e-mails all semester long.

jsun

Postby jsun » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I was looking more for general estimates on the books. I want to know what a good price is for a book (since I have no point of reference). For example, Amazon has a sale on Clermont's CivPro book. The price used to be $150, but it's now $120. Is that a good deal in comparison to the bookstore or should I keep looking?

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:55 pm

I think I paid 103 used at the bookstore for that book last year. Incidentally, I still have mine. The person that used it before briefed very neatly in the margins-- that saved me in class one day :-). I think some 2Ls (myself included) will probably try to sell theirs before school starts.

markakis

Postby markakis » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Hey, I was looking at the book list on cornell law website and it seems like some 1L classes have more sections than the others. I may be wrong, but I assumed that the number after the course number and a dash refers to the section number.
My question is, how do these sections correspond or relate to class sections? I know that for 1L there are definitely more than two sections, so what's the deal with contracts for example, that has only two section on the book list?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:48 pm

markakis wrote:Hey, I was looking at the book list on cornell law website and it seems like some 1L classes have more sections than the others. I may be wrong, but I assumed that the number after the course number and a dash refers to the section number.
My question is, how do these sections correspond or relate to class sections? I know that for 1L there are definitely more than two sections, so what's the deal with contracts for example, that has only two section on the book list?

Well, some classes are made up of more class sections than others. On the schedule, this is indicated by letters after the classes. So, if it says "Contracts (A,C,E)" that particular contracts class is made up of sections A,C, and E. And so on...

markakis

Postby markakis » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:52 pm

kn6542 wrote:
markakis wrote:Hey, I was looking at the book list on cornell law website and it seems like some 1L classes have more sections than the others. I may be wrong, but I assumed that the number after the course number and a dash refers to the section number.

Well, some classes are made up of more class sections than others. On the schedule, this is indicated by letters after the classes. So, if it says "Contracts (A,C,E)" that particular contracts class is made up of sections A,C, and E. And so on...

I just had an "aha" moment. You've made it crystal clear. Thanks much

Patches

Postby Patches » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:50 pm

So I have this opportunity to take a free 2-day Kaplan course that's supposed to help prepare you for 1L (teaching case briefs, legal writing and the basics about 1L courses). Has anyone taken something like this before and actually found it helpful? I guess I want to know if I can just pick up this stuff from the Lawyering course, or whether it really helps to be exposed to it before school starts. Thanks!

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:36 pm

Patches wrote:So I have this opportunity to take a free 2-day Kaplan course that's supposed to help prepare you for 1L (teaching case briefs, legal writing and the basics about 1L courses). Has anyone taken something like this before and actually found it helpful? I guess I want to know if I can just pick up this stuff from the Lawyering course, or whether it really helps to be exposed to it before school starts. Thanks!

It probably helps to alleviate anxiety, and not much else.

danielfgator

Postby danielfgator » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:54 pm

kn6542 wrote:
Patches wrote:So I have this opportunity to take a free 2-day Kaplan course that's supposed to help prepare you for 1L (teaching case briefs, legal writing and the basics about 1L courses). Has anyone taken something like this before and actually found it helpful? I guess I want to know if I can just pick up this stuff from the Lawyering course, or whether it really helps to be exposed to it before school starts. Thanks!

I really wanted to attend one in NYC that's being sponsored by Latino Justice and Mayer Brown LLP, but it's the day I get back from my honeymoon. So I guess it is just regular orientation for me...

panda

Postby panda » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:37 pm

danielfgator wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

I really wanted to attend one in NYC that's being sponsored by Latino Justice and Mayer Brown LLP, but it's the day I get back from my honeymoon. So I guess it is just regular orientation for me...

congrats dan! :)

danielfgator

Postby danielfgator » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 pm

panda wrote:
danielfgator wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

congrats dan! :)

Thanks Panda! I hope I still have a little bit of a tan by the time we start LS.

panda

Postby panda » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 pm

danielfgator wrote:
Thanks Panda! I hope I still have a little bit of a tan by the time we start LS.

i was hoping for the same..but lost that hope quite a long time ago..
one month in MI and im so white again its like all those hours on the Mediterranean went to waste..
*sniffle*

JazzyJazz

Postby JazzyJazz » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi guys. I was wondering how common it is for 1L students to have class on Fridays? And what time are those Friday classes, if any.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:28 pm

JazzyJazz wrote:Hi guys. I was wondering how common it is for 1L students to have class on Fridays? And what time are those Friday classes, if any.

Every 1L has friday classes. I don't remember exactly but I want to say it's start time would be between 8 -10am.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:43 pm

JazzyJazz wrote:Hi guys. I was wondering how common it is for 1L students to have class on Fridays? And what time are those Friday classes, if any.

Once your lawyering class is over (it ends earlier than the others) your friday classes will start later.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:02 am

fsohn wrote:

Once your lawyering class is over (it ends earlier than the others) your friday classes will start later.

if you go to http://support.law.cornell.edu/students/ you'll find a pdf with all classes. It looks like everyone has friday classes, but Section E gets out earlier than everyone else (by a lot).

TopLaw_Diva

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:07 am

Where are you all finding the booklist? Sorry if you already answered that but I can't find it!

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:08 am

TopLaw_Diva wrote:Where are you all finding the booklist? Sorry if you already answered that but I can't find it!

same link as above, it' right on the front page.

TopLaw_Diva

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:21 pm

Ok got it...Thanks!

markakis

Postby markakis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Hey does anyone have information on the number of firms interviewing on campus this august? I understand you can get this information on Symplicity, which I have no access to. Can someone help me with this info?
Thanks

TopLaw_Diva

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Here's a link to my craigslist post for apartment essentials. PM me if you want me to take anything off your hands. :wink:

--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”