Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fsohn

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:44 pm

mbw wrote:What time do classes begin on their earliest day? I'm trying to figure out school/parenting schedules for my kids. TIA.

My earliest class was 9:05 first semester, fwiw.

mbw

Postby mbw » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:50 pm

fsohn wrote:
mbw wrote:What time do classes begin on their earliest day? I'm trying to figure out school/parenting schedules for my kids. TIA.

Thanks. I'm hoping I have none at 8am, as that's when the youngest goes to school.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:47 pm

mbw wrote:
fsohn wrote:

Thanks. I'm hoping I have none at 8am, as that's when the youngest goes to school.

The schedules are out on the cornell registrar site for those of you interested. And the earliest class is 8:45 am.

mbw

Postby mbw » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:32 pm

LeahNic wrote:
mbw wrote:
fsohn wrote:

The schedules are out on the cornell registrar site for those of you interested. And the earliest class is 8:45 am.

Thanks, Leah!

missxo

Postby missxo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:15 am

Sorry if this has already been addressed - but I couldn't seem to find it.

When do we find out our sections? Is it not until orientation or the start of classes?

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:12 am

missxo wrote:Sorry if this has already been addressed - but I couldn't seem to find it.

When do we find out our sections? Is it not until orientation or the start of classes?

https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... hedule.pdf.

And yes.

como

Postby como » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 am

Do you guys bring casebooks to class? It seems like a lot of lugging to bring a casebook to each and every class with you. Is it necessary?

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:57 am

como wrote:Do you guys bring casebooks to class? It seems like a lot of lugging to bring a casebook to each and every class with you. Is it necessary?

Almost always. You will have a book locker in the library if you aren't in Hughes, and you'll have enough time between classes to exchange your books.

como

Postby como » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 am

fsohn wrote:
como wrote:Do you guys bring casebooks to class? It seems like a lot of lugging to bring a casebook to each and every class with you. Is it necessary?

Almost always. You will have a book locker in the library if you aren't in Hughes, and you'll have enough time between classes to exchange your books.

Bummer. I'm just not a fan of carrying 2-3 super heavy books to and from school each day, especially when the weather gets rough. I guess I could just throw them in a tote bag or something.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 am

Does anyone know of any Cornell students who transferred up to other schools? Where did they transfer to? What kind of grades did they have?

missxo

Postby missxo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks, fsohn, for the reply.

On another note, what organizations are you current students involved with, if any, and how have they been? Did you get involved during fall semester of your first year? Do you recommend getting involved in an organization as a 1L?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Yeah, you're gonna need to bring them to class. A lot of people had two backpacks/bags to carry them to and from school.

If you don't want to do all your reading on campus and keep them in your book locker, and they just feel too burdensome to lug to/from home, you can get them made into 2-3 smaller books at kinkos. The fedex/kinkos in the commons will do each book for about $10. They just cut them into thirds and rebind them, so you can just bring the mini-volume that has the day's reading in it to class instead of the whole book. I think this is a great idea, but I never got around to doing it. I think underdawg did it, though, so if you want to know how well it worked, ask him.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 pm

1) you need to bring your books to class but there is time btwn classes to go to your locker. If you dont want to take them home, stay at school at the library and do your reading then go home and enjoy your evening.

2) we dont know who is transferring yet. Come Sept we will know but i doubt we will know what kinda grades they had. I have a few candidates in mind that I hope transfer

3) I recommend getting involved in at least 1 organization i the fall. You worry about being busy but really everyone can handle at least one organization. Just do something you are interested in. I love my animal club :-).

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:11 pm

zoo club

Postby 18488 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 am

zeetraveler wrote:Could you guys weigh in on what laptops you got last year? Reviews, pros, cons and regrets would be super helpful. I know there's a bunch of threads on what kind of laptops you should get for LS on TLS, but I kind of want to hear from you guys, not some World of War blah blah gamer/John Marshall 1L. Thanks

I used a 2004 17" Compaq Presario first semester, which decided to die about 3 minutes before my property exam began--one of the most horrifying events of law school. Second semester, I got a new 14" Dell Latitude 5400, which I liked overall, but found the mousepad way too sensitive--you have to acquire a delicate touch to avoid the cursor going every which-a-way. Also, I don't like the "Dell Point Control" software that you have to use to connect to wireless networks--I liked that the Compaq just connected automatically to whatever network was in range. I had a couple of friends with MSI winds and loved them--they seemed like good, super-portable machine; I might just get me one actually, and leave the Dell at home.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 am

I have a Dell Latitude D630 with Windows Vista Business and I really like it. It's a bit heavy cause I got the heaviest battery, but other than that I have no complaints. I would recommend getting the complete care package with it just for peace of mind....because...

I'm REALLY hard on computers and I've had my screen and hard drive replaced. But, Dell just comes out to the law school and fixes it for me on site the next day since I got that package. I dropped the computer a lot which is why the screen messed up, and I really dont know what happened to the hard drive. It just crashed this summer (thankfully not during anything), and they simply sent me a new one. I was able to get everything off the old one too.

I'm not sure if it's me or the equipment that is faulty, but I know a couple of others with the same laptop that havent had anything replaced. I think it might be me...

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:00 pm

zeetraveler wrote:Could you guys weigh in on what laptops you got last year? Reviews, pros, cons and regrets would be super helpful. I know there's a bunch of threads on what kind of laptops you should get for LS on TLS, but I kind of want to hear from you guys, not some World of War blah blah gamer/John Marshall 1L. Thanks

I'd recommend the subnotebooks (MSI Wind, Asus EEEPC, and several others by HP and the like) if you can learn to adjust to the smaller keyboard. I had a 15inch Dell XPS, and it was fine, but I sometimes regretted not getting the 13inch or a subnotebook, just for size/convenience sake.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:59 pm

Cornell has always been one of the schools I am most interested in and now that I have an actual LSAT score I'm even more interested bc it's a real possibility. Whoo.

I've read through most of this thread but not all yet, so apologies if I'm just beating a head horse.

I'd really like a smaller close-knit sort of group. I've gone to school in big cities and small towns, and enjoy attending schools in smaller areas. Though no shopping? I probably can't afford it but gah.

What are students like outside of class? I'm a social person who enjoys going out, hanging in with friends, whatever on the weekends. I go a little crazy without a social life. Ice read in descriptions students say they stay in and study all the time, don't have any distractions, and don't want to venture out due to the cold.

Could someone describe for me the social life at Cornell? I'm not bring a significant other, a dog, guinea pig, whatever. Just me. I'm assuming I won't have to resort to running around naked to get attention, but just some general quality of life stuff would be great.

Also, I have a mac. I love him. His name is iBob. I do not want to give him up.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Honestly, it's going to depend a great deal on personal preferences. You can use a mac or pc in law school.
Size, what kind of word processing program you prefer, whether or not you can tolerate Vista, , etc., are all a matter of taste and priorites. For just law school use, all you need is something that runs, doesn't take 15 min to boot, is comfortable for you, and won't putz out. I know everyone gets anxious about law school, but most 1Ls seem to overthink every single thing associated with the time they spend at law school, including whether they should take a shit before or after contracts. Just think about what you need in a computer and buy one in your price range. That's about all you need to do.

markakis

Postby markakis » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:15 pm

So if I decide to not have cable tv (to shave off some costs), is there at least local channels that I can take a peek at from time to time. Plus, dogs, cats, are these advisable to have during IL? I'm going to be one lonely son of a gun..

JJim1919

Postby JJim1919 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:59 pm

Im just curious about club sports or anything like that. I know UVA has the famous softball league where many law students play in. Are there are any casual sports leagues that some law students play in? I'd love to get involved in men (coed) softball or something like that if there was some time/something availible. Any thing like that at cornell?

Thanks.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:42 pm

JJim1919 wrote:Im just curious about club sports or anything like that. I know UVA has the famous softball league where many law students play in. Are there are any casual sports leagues that some law students play in? I'd love to get involved in men (coed) softball or something like that if there was some time/something availible. Any thing like that at cornell?

Thanks.

Well, I think Cornell also has a softball team, and that they play UVA. Don't know much about it but I can PM you the name of someone who does. Are you coming to Cornell?

MikeL10001

Postby MikeL10001 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Do you have any social skills or are you struggling in that department? Be serious - I'm not judging you(jk).

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:53 pm

MikeL10001 wrote:Do you have any social skills or are you struggling in that department? Be serious - I'm not judging you(jk).

Pardon me?

JJim1919

Postby JJim1919 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:57 pm

kn6542 wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:Im just curious about club sports or anything like that. I know UVA has the famous softball league where many law students play in. Are there are any casual sports leagues that some law students play in? I'd love to get involved in men (coed) softball or something like that if there was some time/something availible. Any thing like that at cornell?

Thanks.

Well, I think Cornell also has a softball team, and that they play UVA. Don't know much about it but I can PM you the name of someone who does. Are you coming to Cornell?

Yes, I am. You can PM me the name, thanks.

I know cornell has a softball league but so do all schools. Its usually for girls and its an udnergraduate sport. I was wondering if there was anything more graduate student oriented. Like a rec league or something.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”