Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
como

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Tue May 19, 2009 12:33 pm

moco112 wrote:This is going to sound stupid, but bear with me.

What do girls and guys dress like at Cornell? Where I go to school now guys wear polos/kakhis/sperry-topsiders and girls wear sundresses with cowboy boots to class and out to dinner/bars.

What is the "campus culture?" I guess would be a good way to phrase my question better. Thanks!

You're right...that DOES sound stupid. It's an east coast school, so people generally take fashion cues from NYC fwiw. Does it matter?

moco112

Postby moco112 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:36 pm

como wrote:

What do girls and guys dress like at Cornell? Where I go to school now guys wear polos/kakhis/sperry-topsiders and girls wear sundresses with cowboy boots to class and out to dinner/bars.

What is the "campus culture?" I guess would be a good way to phrase my question better. Thanks!

You're right...that DOES sound stupid. It's an east coast school, so people generally take fashion cues from NYC fwiw. Does it matter?

not really, i just wanted proof to show my friends who argued with me when i said if i got into cornell i would have to buy a new wardrobe. they think cowboy boots are national "couture"

como

Postby como » Tue May 19, 2009 12:38 pm

For some reason, a really popular accessory with females is the headband. It is really annoying and overdone, but hopefully it will only last another few months...

moco112

Postby moco112 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:44 pm

como wrote:For some reason, a really popular accessory with females is the headband. It is really annoying and overdone, but hopefully it will only last another few months...

That is actually ironic, because i wore headbands and collared shirts to class all fall semester in attempt to look more east coast preppy...

but before I get harassed for talking about fashion on this thread...lets get back to questions about law school.

I saw pictures online of the library...its beautiful! do people seem pretty friendly and open to create study groups? do most people study in the law library or at their homes/apts?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:44 pm

como wrote:For some reason, a really popular accessory with females is the headband. It is really annoying and overdone, but hopefully it will only last another few months...

I was going to add the completely useless scarf to this discussion as an example of another overdone and annoying accessory for females, but then I realized you're kinda wearing one in your 'tar. :wink:

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:46 pm

moco112 wrote:

That is actually ironic, because i wore headbands and collared shirts to class all fall semester in attempt to look more east coast preppy...

but before I get harassed for talking about fashion on this thread...lets get back to questions about law school.

I saw pictures online of the library...its beautiful! do people seem pretty friendly and open to create study groups? do most people study in the law library or at their homes/apts?

A lot of people study at the library and form study groups. It's not really the place, imo, to get anything done unless you go to the carrells. The reading room is very distracting. I know a lot of people who just like to study at home. Just depends on your style.

jxk

Postby jxk » Tue May 19, 2009 5:02 pm

i went to cornell UG and graduated a year ago. honestly, there is so much variation in the way people dress at cornell that you can wear whatever you want. it doesn't really matter. yes, the trends from nyc are pretty prevalent but there is so much diversity at cornell that it's hard to make a blanket statement about the campus culture or about the way people dress. there are girls from the south who dress up a lot and southern guys who wear cowboy boots but there are also east coat preps who wear headbands and pearls as well as inner city kids who rock a more urban look. hell, i knew several guys that liked to wear 3 piece suits to class regularly, just because they felt like it. seriously, don't worry about it. wear whatever you like. if there is one thing you should add to your wardrobe to blend in with the "culture" at cornell, it is a big fat down coat.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue May 19, 2009 10:15 pm

You know what else are annoying and overdone? Pants.

But really, headbands are incredibly convenient for keeping hair out of your face if it's not long enough for a pony tail.

como

Postby como » Wed May 20, 2009 8:13 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:

But really, headbands are incredibly convenient for keeping hair out of your face if it's not long enough for a pony tail.

But do they have to make you look like a bohemian a la Kate Hudson? I don't get the appeal of the thin, braided headbands. I have a suspicion that UO is somehow behind this...

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Wed May 20, 2009 10:13 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:

You know what else is really overdone? The "tights as pants" idea. No ma'am, I do not want to see every flabby contour at 9 in the morning, thank you.

como

Postby como » Wed May 20, 2009 10:14 am

fsohn wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

You know what else is really overdone? The "tights as pants" idea. No ma'am, I do not want to see every flabby contour at 9 in the morning, thank you.

Hahaha...true. American Apparel is a crime against humanity.

TopLaw_Diva

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Wed May 20, 2009 1:15 pm

fsohn wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Ithaca Carshare service? I wasn't going to bring my car and I was just going to use the service for trips to the grocery store, etc. Do you know if the cars are even available? I would imagine that most people would have reserved them during reasonable hours...

Here's the website for those of you who aren't familiar with it http://www.ithacacarshare.org/

My roommate for next year uses it, and he's never had any problems with it. There's one car right in collegetown, a two minute walk from the law school, and a couple down on/near the Commons. This year, Cornell paid your joining fee for the basic plan, and would pay up to $50 for any higher priced plan. It's not an altogether terrible option. Then again, you can get a cab both ways from Wegmans to the law school for about $15 total, or always just crib a ride with one of the many law students going.

Thanks... :D

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:09 pm

fsohn wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

Yup
http://www.tightsarenotpants.com/manifesto

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed May 20, 2009 2:35 pm

it's cool when fit chicks do it...

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:40 pm

underdawg wrote:it's cool when fit chicks do it...

Yet they still are not pants.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed May 20, 2009 7:32 pm

what's wrong with hot chix not wearing pants? open your mind

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:58 pm

underdawg wrote:what's wrong with hot chix not wearing pants? open your mind

I didn't say anything was wrong with it. Just making sure everyone is aware that tights are not pants.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed May 20, 2009 9:10 pm

kn6542 wrote:

I didn't say anything was wrong with it. Just making sure everyone is aware that tights are not pants.

Agreed. Pants are pants, goddamnit.

You know what fashion trend needs to pick up? Kilts.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 pm

kn6542 wrote:

TITCR.

Sigh. Some people have no shame...

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu May 21, 2009 12:21 am

LeahNic wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

TITCR.

that's what people said when girls' skirts starting going above the ankle

time will tell

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu May 21, 2009 7:37 am

underdawg wrote:
LeahNic wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

TITCR.

time will tell

Ah, but men and women with particularly bad legs shouldn't wear short anything--whether it be shorts or skirts. The problem is that tights are worn indiscriminately, and quite simply, not everything flatters everyone, and social decorum dictates that certain things not be worn in all times and places.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:19 am

fsohn wrote:
underdawg wrote:
LeahNic wrote:
kn6542 wrote:TITCR.

time will tell

Ah, but men and women with particularly bad legs shouldn't wear short anything--whether it be shorts or skirts. The problem is that tights are worn indiscriminately, and quite simply, not everything flatters everyone, and social decorum dictates that certain things not be worn in all times and places.

What about pants that are basically tights. like really really tight jeans?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:42 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
What about pants that are basically tights.

Well, then they are basically not pants.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu May 21, 2009 11:57 am

fsohn wrote:

yeah i'm only talking about chicks with nice legs..the rest can go to hell

scorez

Postby scorez » Fri May 29, 2009 1:09 am

What do people do for going the the gym? I heard something about a facilities pass (or some other name) at ASW, but I guess I wasn't really listening.

Do a decent amount of 1ls make it to the gym semi-regularly (3-5 times a week)? I work a job with pretty legit hours and manage to do so; I was hoping I could accomplish the same during 1l.

Thanks. Pretty pumped/nervous about heading to ithaca with everyone in the fall.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”