Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
spike
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby spike » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:20 pm

stayingclassy wrote:Do any current law students remember when they began receiving coverage under Cornell's medical insurance? Was it at the start of August or not until the first day of classes?

Thanks!


I was wondering the same thing. I did some searching and found this: http://www.studentinsurance.cornell.edu ... vered.html

Coverage begins August 17.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:52 pm

LeahNic wrote: carefully hedging their bets in case they do poorly people wont think they are dumb but rather just a slacker

Gosh, who does that?

User avatar
ben1185
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ben1185 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:12 am

So... my contract with Verizon conveniently ends next month. It's treated me well where I am now, but anyone have problems with the coverage in Ithaca. If so what service would you recommend instead.

Thanks.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 am

ben1185 wrote:So... my contract with Verizon conveniently ends next month. It's treated me well where I am now, but anyone have problems with the coverage in Ithaca. If so what service would you recommend instead.

Thanks.

I've heard that Verizon is common in Ithaca, since some other carriers have coverage problems here. So, for what it's worth... I had Verizon before law school and just kept it. I've had no problems at all.

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Tue May 05, 2009 2:43 pm

I also have Verizon, and have not had any problems.

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LeahNic » Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 pm

I have AT&T with no problems at all, but people have told me that Verizon is the best in the area.

amr105
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby amr105 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:49 pm

does anyone know off-hand the layout of the rooms in hughes? what i mean by that is, are there certain room numbers that are 2 person suites, 3 person, etc., or do they vary by floor? just got my assignment and am trying to figure out how many people i might be sharing a bathroom with. thanks.

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Sat May 09, 2009 4:12 pm

amr105 wrote:does anyone know off-hand the layout of the rooms in hughes? what i mean by that is, are there certain room numbers that are 2 person suites, 3 person, etc., or do they vary by floor? just got my assignment and am trying to figure out how many people i might be sharing a bathroom with. thanks.


All rooms are singles--they're all suites with between 2 and 6 single rooms sharing a bath room. The rooms vary in size from about 120 to 210 square feet (small, medium, large and extra large). There's one kitchen with two oven/stoves, 3 refrigerators, 3 microwaves, and several small appliances for all 45 Hughes dwellers to share.

User avatar
danr2040
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby danr2040 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi guys,
Trying to decide between Cornell and GULC by next weekend. My career interests are JAG/government service after school.
Posted this in another thread but didn't get any replies, so I'm posting the questions I have after my visit.

Is the public transportation good enough to get around town on a daily basis and to the airport? I was not impressed by Hughes and would want to live somewhere in town.

To any public-interest types: how helpful has Career Services been for you?

If there is anyone who knows more about the US Attorney's office externship program, I would love to hear from them.

I thank everyone in advance for their input. Feel free to chime in with other things I should consider.

User avatar
moco112
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby moco112 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I am very interested in Cornell and the international law program.

Do you suggest visiting Ithaca and making some type of advising appointment before applying? Would it help my chances of getting accepted?

I am taking the LSAT in Sept. and am hoping to make in the 167-171 range. I have a 3.86 from Univ. Tenn (main campus), softs listed on my profile. Accounting/International Business major.

Any suggestions for the admissions process?

vtha
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby vtha » Sun May 10, 2009 4:58 pm

LeahNic wrote:I have AT&T with no problems at all, but people have told me that Verizon is the best in the area.


I saw in the Cornell newspaper (that Cornell is sending me every week) that they just built an AT&T antennae, are you seeing that your service is better?

User avatar
studymaster
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby studymaster » Sun May 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Have any of the regular TLS posters taken the legal aid clinic (public interest clinic)? What was your experience with it?

User avatar
ddp
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ddp » Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm

When are loans disbursed to incoming students? For undergrad mine were disbursed a couple weeks into the semester...Can't imagine how I'll be able to pay for books/supplies/rent without the loan a few days before though.

Thanks!

JJim1919
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby JJim1919 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 pm

moco112 wrote:I am very interested in Cornell and the international law program.

Do you suggest visiting Ithaca and making some type of advising appointment before applying? Would it help my chances of getting accepted?

I am taking the LSAT in Sept. and am hoping to make in the 167-171 range. I have a 3.86 from Univ. Tenn (main campus), softs listed on my profile. Accounting/International Business major.

Any suggestions for the admissions process?


Get a 167+, write a good "why cornell," make sure your essays and recs are good and you should be in. Good luck!

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:15 am

ddp wrote:When are loans disbursed to incoming students? For undergrad mine were disbursed a couple weeks into the semester...Can't imagine how I'll be able to pay for books/supplies/rent without the loan a few days before though.

Thanks!

Last year there was some glitch that delayed the disbursement of loans, so I don't know precisely when they would have hit my bank acct otherwise. I do know that they can't disburse until classes start and that in Spring semester it was in within a day or two of the first class.

You probably won't have that $$ before classes start to be able to use it directly for books. You'll have to use another means, credit card perhaps, and pay it off when loans do get disbursed.

User avatar
ddp
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ddp » Sat May 16, 2009 4:27 pm

kn6542 wrote:
ddp wrote:When are loans disbursed to incoming students? For undergrad mine were disbursed a couple weeks into the semester...Can't imagine how I'll be able to pay for books/supplies/rent without the loan a few days before though.

Thanks!

Last year there was some glitch that delayed the disbursement of loans, so I don't know precisely when they would have hit my bank acct otherwise. I do know that they can't disburse until classes start and that in Spring semester it was in within a day or two of the first class.

You probably won't have that $$ before classes start to be able to use it directly for books. You'll have to use another means, credit card perhaps, and pay it off when loans do get disbursed.


great, thanks!

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Sun May 17, 2009 10:57 am

ddp wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
ddp wrote:When are loans disbursed to incoming students? For undergrad mine were disbursed a couple weeks into the semester...Can't imagine how I'll be able to pay for books/supplies/rent without the loan a few days before though.

Thanks!

Last year there was some glitch that delayed the disbursement of loans, so I don't know precisely when they would have hit my bank acct otherwise. I do know that they can't disburse until classes start and that in Spring semester it was in within a day or two of the first class.

You probably won't have that $$ before classes start to be able to use it directly for books. You'll have to use another means, credit card perhaps, and pay it off when loans do get disbursed.


great, thanks!


There's some sort of credit option directly from the bookstore for books and such. I simply paid off my old credit card and got a new one with 0% interest, because I knew the money would take a while to come. It's not a big deal, though it is an added bit of unnecessary stress, imho, especially for those of us straight out of UG without substantial savings to help us along.

User avatar
ddp
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ddp » Sun May 17, 2009 11:10 am

even better. was the credit enough to cover all of your books or a portion?

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:51 am

ddp wrote:even better. was the credit enough to cover all of your books or a portion?

I *think* he's talking about the cornell card. It has a $10 annual fee and a $650 limit. It's linked up to your cornell ID card, so you just present that when you check out. I think you don't have to pay sales tax at the bookstore if you use it.
They tell you that you can buy books with $600 or some crap but really it's way more than that. But hold off on buying supplements right away, because you won't need them immediately anyway and there will be a "supplement sale" where 2Ls sell theirs for cheapo.

User avatar
ddp
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ddp » Mon May 18, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks again! One other quick question...do outlets run aplenty in the classrooms? I'm trying to decide between batteries on a new laptop.

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LeahNic » Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 am

Every seat has an outlet in the classrooms.

User avatar
TopLaw_Diva
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Mon May 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Does anyone know anything about the Ithaca Carshare service? I wasn't going to bring my car and I was just going to use the service for trips to the grocery store, etc. Do you know if the cars are even available? I would imagine that most people would have reserved them during reasonable hours...

Here's the website for those of you who aren't familiar with it http://www.ithacacarshare.org/

User avatar
Ken
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:22 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Ken » Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 pm

I just want to thank all of the Cornell Law students for providing such excellent advice, it is very informative as there is no better source of information than fellow TLSers currently attending.

Cheers,

Ken

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Tue May 19, 2009 1:35 am

TopLaw_Diva wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Ithaca Carshare service? I wasn't going to bring my car and I was just going to use the service for trips to the grocery store, etc. Do you know if the cars are even available? I would imagine that most people would have reserved them during reasonable hours...

Here's the website for those of you who aren't familiar with it http://www.ithacacarshare.org/


My roommate for next year uses it, and he's never had any problems with it. There's one car right in collegetown, a two minute walk from the law school, and a couple down on/near the Commons. This year, Cornell paid your joining fee for the basic plan, and would pay up to $50 for any higher priced plan. It's not an altogether terrible option. Then again, you can get a cab both ways from Wegmans to the law school for about $15 total, or always just crib a ride with one of the many law students going.

User avatar
moco112
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby moco112 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:31 pm

This is going to sound stupid, but bear with me.

What do girls and guys dress like at Cornell? Where I go to school now guys wear polos/kakhis/sperry-topsiders and girls wear sundresses with cowboy boots to class and out to dinner/bars.

What is the "campus culture?" I guess would be a good way to phrase my question better. Thanks!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nathjf and 6 guests