Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Lavitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:18 pm

hephaestus wrote:
Lavitz wrote:This is especially true now that there is only one Collegetown bar.
What is the last one standing?
Rulloff's (after being closed and then reopened).

Also Level B if that counts.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:55 pm

Lavitz wrote:
hephaestus wrote:
Lavitz wrote:This is especially true now that there is only one Collegetown bar.
What is the last one standing?
Rulloff's (after being closed and then reopened).

Also Level B if that counts.
The Nines too. And I guess Jack's.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Loco really getting shafted.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:Loco really getting shafted.
Doesn't Loco do Super Smash Melee nights? If so that clearly is the superior bar in Collegetown/Ithaca.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm happy for future generations that Chapter House will come back eventually, but I feel personally shafted that it burned down when I was here. That popcorn made a lot of sub-zero 1L nights feel slightly less oppressive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:15 pm

deepseapartners wrote:I'm happy for future generations that Chapter House will come back eventually, but I feel personally shafted that it burned down when I was here. That popcorn made a lot of sub-zero 1L nights feel slightly less oppressive.
So true. Before its fiery demise, Chapter House was easily the best bar for hanging out amongst peers.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:17 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
deepseapartners wrote:I'm happy for future generations that Chapter House will come back eventually, but I feel personally shafted that it burned down when I was here. That popcorn made a lot of sub-zero 1L nights feel slightly less oppressive.
So true. Before its fiery demise, Chapter House was easily the best bar for hanging out amongst peers.
I loved that place with all my heart.

puppy

New

Post by puppy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi! Not going to make the ASD but want to get a sense of life here. What's your typical schedule for a weekday? A weekend day? Do people actually attend the events listed in the scoops? How active are students in student orgs/how active are you in campus life? Thanks :mrgreen:

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:16 am

puppy wrote:Hi! Not going to make the ASD but want to get a sense of life here. What's your typical schedule for a weekday? A weekend day? Do people actually attend the events listed in the scoops? How active are students in student orgs/how active are you in campus life? Thanks :mrgreen:
Wait, you've already read Scoops? Yes, people attend these events, although that doesn't mean attendance is always high. Depends on what the event is and what the food situation is. I think students are mostly active in student orgs, with varying degrees of involvement. Some are super club happy, some join a few clubs, and others just don't bother. There are a lot of clubs relative to the student size, and so it's really easy to get leadership positions in things. Club elections for 1L reps will happen near the beginning of the year. 1L reps don't really do much, but it's useful if you want to run for President or something later. Then the e-board elections are in 1L Spring, and then the 2L class will run the clubs / be associates on journals. Then in 2L Spring, journals and moot court will have elections and the 2Ls will trade in their club positions for these positions. I used to be one of the most involved people, but I'm about to graduate, so I've pretty much wrapped up my involvement in everything.

That also means that a typical day depends on what year you're asking about. Today, I drove to Syracuse to do clinic work, got back to campus for a class, and then went bowling with friends. When I was a 2L, a typical day might involve a bunch of journal work, or organizing some club event, always combined with class + reading, and probably something social. But when I was a 1L, typical weekday was just class, whatever club event may be going on that day, then read, read, read. Weekends would involve reading earlier in the day and then social events like bar tabs, a section mixer, homecoming tailgate, a bowling night, movie night, a hike, apple picking, a formal event, whatever was going on that weekend. This would taper off later in the semester and be replaced with outlining, practice tests, and all that serious stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mjs289

New

Post by mjs289 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:31 am

I just got in off of reserve and am still waiting for scholly package, but since I only have under 2 weeks to make decision, I'm hoping to get some sense of how much Cornell would worth. How difficult is it for Cornell students to break into non-NYC biglaws? Is around median sufficient, or do you have to be more like top 20-30% to get it? Can any current 1Ls give their words?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:22 pm

mjs289 wrote:I just got in off of reserve and am still waiting for scholly package, but since I only have under 2 weeks to make decision, I'm hoping to get some sense of how much Cornell would worth. How difficult is it for Cornell students to break into non-NYC biglaws? Is around median sufficient, or do you have to be more like top 20-30% to get it? Can any current 1Ls give their words?
This is difficult to give a generalized answer to. Besides grades, it depends on which market, how strong your ties are, relevant experience, and interviewing skills. I've looked through your previous posts and it seems like you're IP eligible but have no ties to any US region. In your case, if you're at median, and you apply to whichever firms in other states do a lot of IP/patent work + NYC firms as a backup, I think you'd be fine.

mjs289

New

Post by mjs289 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:39 am

Lavitz wrote: This is difficult to give a generalized answer to. Besides grades, it depends on which market, how strong your ties are, relevant experience, and interviewing skills. I've looked through your previous posts and it seems like you're IP eligible but have no ties to any US region. In your case, if you're at median, and you apply to whichever firms in other states do a lot of IP/patent work + NYC firms as a backup, I think you'd be fine.
Thank you for your response:)! I was aware that there are different things that are taken into considerations, but wanted to ask anyway because NYC is pretty much the only place I'm hoping to avoid living. I'm thinking anywhere else would be fine (Chi, Cal, Boston, DC, Atlanta, TX etc.). Since Cornell is not in the middle of NYC, I'm expecting my years in Cornell will be fine if I go, but am worried about job prospects. It seemed like most people get settled in NYC (probably because of self selection), but I really don't like that NYC's city-of-the-city kind of atmosphere... I'll have to pay a lot more obviously if I choose Cornell over the non-T14 school with my first seat deposit (and I gladly will if heading to Cornell greatly enhances my chance of getting to my goal) but given my "let's avoid NYC" goal, I wasn't sure of how much more worth Cornell bears for a person like me:P

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:27 am

mjs289 wrote:
Lavitz wrote: This is difficult to give a generalized answer to. Besides grades, it depends on which market, how strong your ties are, relevant experience, and interviewing skills. I've looked through your previous posts and it seems like you're IP eligible but have no ties to any US region. In your case, if you're at median, and you apply to whichever firms in other states do a lot of IP/patent work + NYC firms as a backup, I think you'd be fine.
Thank you for your response:)! I was aware that there are different things that are taken into considerations, but wanted to ask anyway because NYC is pretty much the only place I'm hoping to avoid living. I'm thinking anywhere else would be fine (Chi, Cal, Boston, DC, Atlanta, TX etc.). Since Cornell is not in the middle of NYC, I'm expecting my years in Cornell will be fine if I go, but am worried about job prospects. It seemed like most people get settled in NYC (probably because of self selection), but I really don't like that NYC's city-of-the-city kind of atmosphere... I'll have to pay a lot more obviously if I choose Cornell over the non-T14 school with my first seat deposit (and I gladly will if heading to Cornell greatly enhances my chance of getting to my goal) but given my "let's avoid NYC" goal, I wasn't sure of how much more worth Cornell bears for a person like me:P
Do you have ties to a secondary market? You can definitely make secondary and tertiary markets happen from Cornell, but no matter where you go you need ties or a conceivable story why you want a market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjs289

New

Post by mjs289 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 am

hephaestus wrote: Do you have ties to a secondary market? You can definitely make secondary and tertiary markets happen from Cornell, but no matter where you go you need ties or a conceivable story why you want a market.
Meh, no ties. This is what I'm exactly worried about... I have no geographical or market preference at the moment, and not knowing where I really want to end up, it's very difficult to provide a conceivable story. I feel like my outcome is most likely ending up in NYC, which is just opposite of my goal...

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:10 pm

mjs289 wrote:
hephaestus wrote: Do you have ties to a secondary market? You can definitely make secondary and tertiary markets happen from Cornell, but no matter where you go you need ties or a conceivable story why you want a market.
Meh, no ties. This is what I'm exactly worried about... I have no geographical or market preference at the moment, and not knowing where I really want to end up, it's very difficult to provide a conceivable story. I feel like my outcome is most likely ending up in NYC, which is just opposite of my goal...
You seem a bit directionless. Maybe law school is not the right move at this time for you. What exactly is your "goal"?

mjs289

New

Post by mjs289 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:43 pm

Trippel wrote:
mjs289 wrote:
You seem a bit directionless. Maybe law school is not the right move at this time for you. What exactly is your "goal"?
At this moment, immediate goal is IP boutique firm where I can get exposure to both prosecution and litigation with actual responsibilities. Ultimate goal would be getting back to Asia as in-house counsel (if I can snag and stick around a biglaw Asia office, it would be great too). So "let's avoid NYC" is more for a short-term goal and my international background contributes largely to my directionlessness in terms of geographical/market preference. Many people, including currently working attorneys, told me getting legal experience is what's most important for getting back to Asia and I agree. Where I get that experience isn't a huge factor, and given that, all I really want is to avoid a place I'm fairly sure I'll be unhappy at... Is my goal too vague?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:22 pm

mjs289 wrote:
Trippel wrote:
mjs289 wrote:
At this moment, immediate goal is IP boutique firm where I can get exposure to both prosecution and litigation with actual responsibilities. Ultimate goal would be getting back to Asia as in-house counsel (if I can snag and stick around a biglaw Asia office, it would be great too). So "let's avoid NYC" is more for a short-term goal and my international background contributes largely to my directionlessness in terms of geographical/market preference. Many people, including currently working attorneys, told me getting legal experience is what's most important for getting back to Asia and I agree. Where I get that experience isn't a huge factor, and given that, all I really want is to avoid a place I'm fairly sure I'll be unhappy at... Is my goal too vague?
So with IP as a goal, I assume that you have an engineering background. If so, a lot of the normal rules won't apply to you. I know people from Cornell that got DC and SV without ties because of engineering backgrounds (and relatedly where those firms are centered).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ramybamy

New

Post by ramybamy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 am

I'm a bit confused.. So I'm really gunning for CA biglaw (strong ties to the region). I was between Cornell & UCLA/USC, but given the employment statistics, it's clear that Cornell is the way to go for biglaw. I went to Cornell ASD and the vibe that I got from speaking to the students was that as long as you don't place in lower 25th, you can get biglaw (and even some lower 25th can still get biglaw), whereas UCLA/USC only the top ~30% get biglaw. So statistically speaking, chances of biglaw are much higher at Cornell.

However, I read around a bit on here, and apparently you have to be in the top third to make it back to CA from Cornell? Can someone explain that to me? median can get you biglaw at Cornell, just not in CA?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm

ramybamy wrote:I'm a bit confused.. So I'm really gunning for CA biglaw (strong ties to the region). I was between Cornell & UCLA/USC, but given the employment statistics, it's clear that Cornell is the way to go for biglaw. I went to Cornell ASD and the vibe that I got from speaking to the students was that as long as you don't place in lower 25th, you can get biglaw (and even some lower 25th can still get biglaw), whereas UCLA/USC only the top ~30% get biglaw. So statistically speaking, chances of biglaw are much higher at Cornell.

However, I read around a bit on here, and apparently you have to be in the top third to make it back to CA from Cornell? Can someone explain that to me? median can get you biglaw at Cornell, just not in CA?
Median can get you Big law in CA and other places. I had a Big Law offer in CA, and I wasn't even trying to go there. But compared to NYC you may have to hustle a bit more and/or improve the other parts of your resume.

Dante181

New

Post by Dante181 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Are there any apartment buildings or other rental properties near Cornell that folks in this thread have had good or bad experiences with?

seoul_man

New

Post by seoul_man » Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 am

Dante181 wrote:Are there any apartment buildings or other rental properties near Cornell that folks in this thread have had good or bad experiences with?
Hi, C/O 2019 here. I'd like to add another question regarding housing. I noticed that there is a fire station in college avenue, about 5 min walk south from the law school. I was wondering if I should be concerned about loud siren/alarm from the fire station at night if I live in an apartment nearby or if that's no big deal as it rarely happens. Any advice? (Which area/apartment in collegetown to avoid?)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat May 28, 2016 11:41 am

seoul_man wrote:
Dante181 wrote:Are there any apartment buildings or other rental properties near Cornell that folks in this thread have had good or bad experiences with?
Hi, C/O 2019 here. I'd like to add another question regarding housing. I noticed that there is a fire station in college avenue, about 5 min walk south from the law school. I was wondering if I should be concerned about loud siren/alarm from the fire station at night if I live in an apartment nearby or if that's no big deal as it rarely happens. Any advice? (Which area/apartment in collegetown to avoid?)
I wouldn't worry about that. The bigger concern in collegetown is the noise from the undergrads partying. Here's the general rule of thumb: central collegetown is the worst (like right near CTB and Starbucks, and that road that runs perpendicular to college Ave (Dryden?). Upper collegetown is the quietest (meaning if you turn left at that four way stop towards East Hill Plaza). Lower. Collegetown (as in downhill, near chapter), is kind of in between and more location specific as far as if there's noise.

lowlands

New

Post by lowlands » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:52 pm

I searched the thread for this, but I'm asking again in case the answer has changed over the last few years: What's the public interest scene looking like these days? At ASW one student on the current student panel said he hoped/wished more Cornell students would pursue PI, which I found interesting. Are people finding good careers outside of biglaw? Are the resources and support there for the relatively few students who are pursuing PI?

I'm having a pretty tough time deciding between a few possible career paths, so I'm not committed to PI at the moment, just interested to hear people's take.

ETA I'm class of 2019.

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:02 pm

lowlands wrote:I searched the thread for this, but I'm asking again in case the answer has changed over the last few years: What's the public interest scene looking like these days? At ASW one student on the current student panel said he hoped/wished more Cornell students would pursue PI, which I found interesting. Are people finding good careers outside of biglaw? Are the resources and support there for the relatively few students who are pursuing PI?

I'm having a pretty tough time deciding between a few possible career paths, so I'm not committed to PI at the moment, just interested to hear people's take.

ETA I'm class of 2019.
A couple threshold points: yes, the large majority of students are not pursuing PI, and yes, sometimes it can feel like you're being pushed towards biglaw (although I'd add the push is more a result of professional realities than anything a classmate or the school does)

Obvious points aside, Cornell is a great place to pursue PI, and the "scene" is strong, supportive, and well-developed. There are a fair number of people directly pursing public interest jobs, and plenty more interested in related issues / involved in clinics, clubs, societies, etc. Essentially, there are lots of really good resources out there (Dean Comstack, teachers, upperclassmen, alumni, career services), you just have to be a little bit more engaged than someone who just wants a standard firm job in NYC. This is a good thing, honestly, as it keeps you involved / reminds you there are other things out there than your 4 doctrinals.

I'm a (soon-to-be) 2L, so I don't know too much about whether people "are finding good careers outside of biglaw." That said, of the 3L's and graduates I've talked to, all of them are employed in positions they find interesting / with organizations they wanted to work for. The new loan repayment program is solid (can speak more to this if you'd like), so that's something to bear in mind as well.

lowlands

New

Post by lowlands » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

CFC1524 wrote: A couple threshold points: yes, the large majority of students are not pursuing PI, and yes, sometimes it can feel like you're being pushed towards biglaw (although I'd add the push is more a result of professional realities than anything a classmate or the school does)

Obvious points aside, Cornell is a great place to pursue PI, and the "scene" is strong, supportive, and well-developed. There are a fair number of people directly pursing public interest jobs, and plenty more interested in related issues / involved in clinics, clubs, societies, etc. Essentially, there are lots of really good resources out there (Dean Comstack, teachers, upperclassmen, alumni, career services), you just have to be a little bit more engaged than someone who just wants a standard firm job in NYC. This is a good thing, honestly, as it keeps you involved / reminds you there are other things out there than your 4 doctrinals.

I'm a (soon-to-be) 2L, so I don't know too much about whether people "are finding good careers outside of biglaw." That said, of the 3L's and graduates I've talked to, all of them are employed in positions they find interesting / with organizations they wanted to work for. The new loan repayment program is solid (can speak more to this if you'd like), so that's something to bear in mind as well.
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm looking forward to getting involved in some of this for sure.

Yeah, I'd love to hear more about the LRAP if you're willing; I'm not quite sure what changed when it was recently revamped.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”