Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lavitz

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Egzon wrote:
bombaysippin wrote:
Egzon wrote:Thanks for your answers! I had one more: not to sound like a prestige whore, but do you feel like Cornell places less at V10?

lol. no.

I've been looking at the firms' websites and it seems as if there are less Cornell grads than say Columbia or NYU at V10.

I know that Cornell is a lot smaller than these schools but it seems as if the cutoff is lower for T6 than for Cornell.

There was a long discussion on this issue starting here: viewtopic.php?p=8535164#p8535164 Data was a bit incomplete, but the tl;dr is that Cornell does perfectly fine.

Anecdotal data from more recent years seems to back it up as well. Seems to be a lot of c/o 2017 people going to V10 firms this summer.

earthabides

Postby earthabides » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Can anyone elaborate on Hughes Hall closing?

chickensoup1234

Postby chickensoup1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Quick question - does anyone know anything about the Charles Hughes Scholars? Couldn't find much information after a quick search.

Just seems like a named full tuition scholarship. But the application asks for how 'being a CEHS scholar will help effectuate your goals' and I have no idea what a CEHS scholar means.

Thanks for your help ~

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 pm

chickensoup1234 wrote:Quick question - does anyone know anything about the Charles Hughes Scholars? Couldn't find much information after a quick search.

Just seems like a named full tuition scholarship. But the application asks for how 'being a CEHS scholar will help effectuate your goals' and I have no idea what a CEHS scholar means.

Thanks for your help ~

Weird prompt. I guess you can talk about having little debt will allow you to do [insert career path other than biglaw here]?

chickensoup1234

Postby chickensoup1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks, Lavitz. Your posts have been a great resource since I've joined tls.

I think your angle is a good one. Just seems like there might be something more substantial here that I am missing..

mustwemean

Postby mustwemean » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Can anyone talk about how well Cornell does with placing graduates in California? In particular, northern California. I have done some research on the placement numbers, but I was hoping someone might have more information about how many students actually seek work in California, the experiences of those that do, and/or how many California firms, if any, come for OCI. Just general info on the topic.

I am a 0L considering attending. Thanks in advance!

bluefish91

Postby bluefish91 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:25 pm

Anyone know if Collegetown Terrace allows small dogs? My guess is no, but their website doesn't specify one way or another.

tyrant_flycatcher

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:15 pm

mustwemean wrote:Can anyone talk about how well Cornell does with placing graduates in California? In particular, northern California. I have done some research on the placement numbers, but I was hoping someone might have more information about how many students actually seek work in California, the experiences of those that do, and/or how many California firms, if any, come for OCI. Just general info on the topic.

I think most firms that have CA offices will interview for those offices at OCI, but very few firms if any will actually send attorneys from those offices. In other words, you'll probably do your screeners with attorneys from NYC offices, which may or may not have its drawbacks.

redsoxfan1989

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:44 pm

bluefish91 wrote:Anyone know if Collegetown Terrace allows small dogs? My guess is no, but their website doesn't specify one way or another.

They do not. PM me if you would like advice on dog-friendly housing in Ithaca.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:37 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
mustwemean wrote:Can anyone talk about how well Cornell does with placing graduates in California? In particular, northern California. I have done some research on the placement numbers, but I was hoping someone might have more information about how many students actually seek work in California, the experiences of those that do, and/or how many California firms, if any, come for OCI. Just general info on the topic.

I think most firms that have CA offices will interview for those offices at OCI, but very few firms if any will actually send attorneys from those offices. In other words, you'll probably do your screeners with attorneys from NYC offices, which may or may not have its drawbacks.

I think a good strategy for someone looking for CA (or Chicago) is to mass mail firms in your home market as your predominant tactic. Even though you can, say, interview for GDC's LA office at OCI, the LA recruiting contacts will likely have much more interest in you than NY based lawyers (because even firms that like to think they're really integrated do silo-ed recruiting by office. If you have the grades for the particular firm in a particular market, you can get looks via mass mailing in that market. This works particular well if you're working in the area that summer and you offer to interview at any time.

Then AJF can work as a hedge because you can target NY based firms as a second route. So don't re-interview with GDC, WSGR, Cooley, MoFo etc., but instead take that opportunity to target firms that aren't in CA or don't have large classes in CA.

hopefuljumbo23

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Does anyone have suggestions about housing other than collegetown terrace? I really want to live there, but it's super, super expensive :(

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:33 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Does anyone have suggestions about housing other than collegetown terrace? I really want to live there, but it's super, super expensive :(

Imma be frank with you, the housing options/situation in Ithaca are/is really really shitty. You're paying real city costs without the niceties of the actual apartments or of the location. That said, you can find a plethora of mediocre collegetown (where you'll probably want to live) apartments for less than $1000 (often in that $750-950 range) on craigslist and other apartment finders, but generally there is an direct relationship between proximity to the LS (closer) and cost (higher), and you'll sadly find that neither variable necessarily results in a better quality apartment (though some of the really expensive stuff e.g. CTT are pretty nice).

hopefuljumbo23

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:31 pm

mt2165 wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Does anyone have suggestions about housing other than collegetown terrace? I really want to live there, but it's super, super expensive :(

Imma be frank with you, the housing options/situation in Ithaca are/is really really shitty. You're paying real city costs without the niceties of the actual apartments or of the location. That said, you can find a plethora of mediocre collegetown (where you'll probably want to live) apartments for less than $1000 (often in that $750-950 range) on craigslist and other apartment finders, but generally there is an direct relationship between proximity to the LS (closer) and cost (higher), and you'll sadly find that neither variable necessarily results in a better quality apartment (though some of the really expensive stuff e.g. CTT are pretty nice).

Haha, well thank you for the frank response. I appreciate it!

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:30 pm

mt2165 wrote:

Or you can live downtown and get a nicer place for half the price.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Lincoln wrote:
mt2165 wrote:

Or you can live downtown and get a nicer place for half the price.

True, although I don't consider that a walkable distance (also because of the hill), but if you're willing to use ithaca's shoddy public transit system . . .

deepseapartners

Postby deepseapartners » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Ithaca's the 11th most expensive place to rent in the US, sitting right behind New York City. You'll have to console yourself with our employment statistics while your bats fly inside your wall (not even kidding).

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:30 pm

deepseapartners wrote:Ithaca's the 11th most expensive place to rent in the US, sitting right behind New York City. You'll have to console yourself with our employment statistics while your bats fly inside your wall (not even kidding).

My 2L year, we rented from a run of the mill shady Ithaca landlord for the usual amount of "far too much."

We had a raccoon in our attic and we alerted our landlord. She didn't do anything and told us not to worry, because "it's not their mating season."

So yeah, you'll overpay and live in a likely run down apartment (or get fleeced for Collegetown terrace etc), but at least our employment statistics are good.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:48 pm

mt2165 wrote:True, although I don't consider that a walkable distance (also because of the hill), but if you're willing to use ithaca's shoddy public transit system . . .

I lived downtown for three years, paid $500/mo for the nicest place I've ever lived in, and it took me literally 15 minutes on the bus up the hill in the morning and 10 minutes to walk home down the hill after class. Anyone willing to pay more than twice the rent to save a 15-min bus ride deserves to be in debt. And it's not like collegetown terrace isn't a 10-minute walk to class.

hopefuljumbo23

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:05 am

Lincoln wrote:
mt2165 wrote:True, although I don't consider that a walkable distance (also because of the hill), but if you're willing to use ithaca's shoddy public transit system . . .

I lived downtown for three years, paid $500/mo for the nicest place I've ever lived in, and it took me literally 15 minutes on the bus up the hill in the morning and 10 minutes to walk home down the hill after class. Anyone willing to pay more than twice the rent to save a 15-min bus ride deserves to be in debt. And it's not like collegetown terrace isn't a 10-minute walk to class.

Is the bus (I'm assuming public transit) easy to use? As in, was it ever late or did it ever cause you to be late? The benefit of walking somewhere is that you don't really have rely on anything or anyone but yourself, but if I'll save $700 a MONTH from living downtown, I'm down to do that.

redsoxfan1989

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Is the bus (I'm assuming public transit) easy to use? As in, was it ever late or did it ever cause you to be late? The benefit of walking somewhere is that you don't really have rely on anything or anyone but yourself, but if I'll save $700 a MONTH from living downtown, I'm down to do that.

The bus is pretty punctual. Also downtown is MUCH nicer than collegetown unless you really want to live through someone else's undergraduate party years.

deepseapartners

Postby deepseapartners » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:31 am

Lincoln wrote:I lived downtown for three years, paid $500/mo for the nicest place I've ever lived in

This is not normal.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 am

deepseapartners wrote:
Lincoln wrote:I lived downtown for three years, paid $500/mo for the nicest place I've ever lived in

This is not normal.

This was a few years ago, but my point was more that rents downtown are about half for equivalent quality; of all my law school friends who lived in ctown, the only people who had anything as nice as my place paid double.

For those interested, this was my landlord, and they were excellent: http://www.ppmhomes.com/index.php

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Is the bus (I'm assuming public transit) easy to use? As in, was it ever late or did it ever cause you to be late? The benefit of walking somewhere is that you don't really have rely on anything or anyone but yourself, but if I'll save $700 a MONTH from living downtown, I'm down to do that.

There were probably a handful of times over three years that I was late because of the bus. I also walked up the hill regularly for exercise.

On a separate note, the bars downtown are (or at least were when I was there) way better than most Collegetown bars.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:45 am

Lincoln wrote:On a separate note, the bars downtown are (or at least were when I was there) way better than most Collegetown bars.

This is especially true now that there is only one Collegetown bar.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:On a separate note, the bars downtown are (or at least were when I was there) way better than most Collegetown bars.

I feel sad for all of you. There were seven when I started law school.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:10 pm

Lavitz wrote:

What is the last one standing?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”