Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:51 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Scheduling question for next year. Would it be smart for a 2L to take on an externship during the semester, or would that be too much to do when including potential journal, class, and club commitments during the semester. I'm debating applying for one for next semester, or waiting until 3L, but either way I don't want to screw myself over either.

I did a part time externship fall 2L, it was great. 10 hours a week for 4 credits or some such.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:12 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:Scheduling question for next year. Would it be smart for a 2L to take on an externship during the semester, or would that be too much to do when including potential journal, class, and club commitments during the semester. I'm debating applying for one for next semester, or waiting until 3L, but either way I don't want to screw myself over either.

I did a part time externship fall 2L, it was great. 10 hours a week for 4 credits or some such.

thanks to both you and other25. I ended up passing on the externship for next semester, but I'll see if something comes up in the Spring since by that point I'll have a better grasp of what's up. It was definitely tempting to take it on, though, as an externship sounds better than classes, imho.

sheishkabob

Postby sheishkabob » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Hey there. Can anyone comment on Cornell's Big Law placement in CA? Do you have to be in the top 3rd to get Big Law in CA (particularly Los Angeles)? Are CA recruiters in abundance at Cornell, or relatively sparse? How is the Career Services Dept. in helping students find jobs? Do they give you substantial guidance, or is more up to the student to mass mail, etc.?

DetroitBL

Postby DetroitBL » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:39 am

Looking to speak with a Cornell student who either had an SA in Detroit or ended up there after graduation. Received a generous scholarship but not sure if it's worth it in light of my goals.

Thanks~

penguinJAM

Postby penguinJAM » Fri May 01, 2015 1:10 pm

So what is the night life like at Cornell Law? What do people do for fun on the weekends? I prefer quiet bars where I can actually hear myself think. Are there any?

Also, how is the talent at Cornell?

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:18 pm

So what is the night life like at Cornell Law? What do people do for fun on the weekends? I prefer quiet bars where I can actually hear myself think. Are there any?

There are several bars around the area that law students will frequent. You can find something that fits your taste, though the loss of Chapter House reduced the number of more low key, conversation oriented bars. But Ruloff's is still good.

If you want a ratchet night, you can find that too.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat May 02, 2015 9:17 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:

There are several bars around the area that law students will frequent. You can find something that fits your taste, though the loss of Chapter House reduced the number of more low key, conversation oriented bars. But Ruloff's is still good.

If you want a ratchet night, you can find that too.

There are plenty downtown if you live down there or are willing to walk/bus/taxi. My favorites are Felicia's, Bandwagon, Northstar, and the Westy (during the summer at least, probably the most biergarten-type place - lots of outdoor seating). Also, Uncle Joe's if you're interested in getting some wings with your drinks or shooting pool.

Hanging downtown has the added benefit of getting you away from undergrads and most other law students (although you'll still run into some).

scofield0183

Postby scofield0183 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:02 pm

So what's the deal with 13 South Ave? I just got an extra large room there but I was never able to find pics of rooms to see what it is actually like... Can anyone help me out? Any pics/comments will be appreciated!

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Mon May 25, 2015 4:34 pm

How strong is the effect of people grade-protecting post-1L re: chances of latin honors or moving up into a different quartile.

(e.g., being squarely median after second semester grades and wanting to graduate cum laude)

(e.g., top 20%ishh wanting to graduate magna cum laude)

I'm assuming the kids in the top 5-10% just take a bunch of seminars or S/U classes, no?

Can any 2ls or 3Ls shed light on this?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon May 25, 2015 5:27 pm

runinthefront wrote:How strong is the effect of people grade-protecting post-1L re: chances of latin honors or moving up into a different quartile.

(e.g., being squarely median after second semester grades and wanting to graduate cum laude)

I'm assuming the kids in the top 5-10% just take a bunch of seminars or S/U classes, no?

There are certainly ways to boost your GPA after 1L. The degree to which you want to do it will depend on how much you want to sacrifice taking classes you are actually interested in. To do this effectively, you will want a combination of off curve seminars, taking professors you did well in their 1L classes, and seeking out classes with A- heavy curves. I know several people that were in the 3.4-3.5 range that will now graduate cum Laude. Enough people drop off from caring after they get a job at AJF that it can be a very realistic goal.

And yes people very much GPA protect, especially at the top end. I was that guy this year, and I had 3 graded credits in the fall and 1 graded credit in the spring. Pulling that off requires a lot of schedule engineering and being willing to take any class even if you are utterly disinterested by it (looking at you, intro to depositions).

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 pm

runinthefront wrote:How strong is the effect of people grade-protecting post-1L re: chances of latin honors or moving up into a different quartile.

I knew a few people who made the top 20%ish to magna move. I would recommend taking whatever classes tons of 3Ls take, because if anyone cares less about their grades than 2Ls with SAs lined up it's 3Ls with permanent jobs lined up. I had a seminar class 2L year that I think I got an A in merely because everyone else in the class was a 3L and didn't even pretend to care in the slightest (whereas I skimmed the reading most of the time).

A lot of people will tell you it's not worth it if you already have a job, but if you're on the cusp, all it really takes is caring a little bit more than your classmates who don't care at all, and those fancy latin honors stay on your resume/firm bio forever and can be really useful when/if you lateral.

antek2b

Postby antek2b » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Long time luker 0L here. Curious about housing - what are the pros and cons of living in Hughes? Can anyone rate their overall experience? Know of anyone that lives in Collegetown Terrace? What do they think? Where are some good apartments to look at? I'm hoping for well under 1600/month, though the lower the better/the closer the more worth it it is, I suppose. I have a spot in Hughes but am kind of craving the solitude of a 1 bedroom/studio away from school.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:57 am

Cornell Law is pretty small and the UG seems rather large, is there a lot of interaction between LS and UG students? I think I'd go crazy constantly being around the same 200 students. I loved UG and im K-JD, so I wouldnt mind partying with UGs who dont give a fuck.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:19 am

WeeBey wrote:Cornell Law is pretty small and the UG seems rather large, is there a lot of interaction between LS and UG students? I think I'd go crazy constantly being around the same 200 students. I loved UG and im K-JD, so I wouldnt mind partying with UGs who dont give a fuck.

Well, you won't have time to hang out with them and reminisce, but yeah, take your talents to collegetown and there will be a plethora of UGs. BUt your aversion to being around the same 200 people is pretty incurable, you're gunna spend a ridiculous amount of time in the law school with the same people.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:30 am

Probably doesn't help I'll be in Hughes does it lol I'm not totally averse to it, I just think I'd go crazy if they're always taking about LS stuff.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:48 am

WeeBey wrote:Probably doesn't help I'll be in Hughes does it lol I'm not totally averse to it, I just think I'd go crazy if they're always taking about LS stuff.

Well sorry but then be prepared to go crazy thats like 90% of what we talk about-there are people I talked to like everyday and 6 months in all i knew about them was what they thought about law school-sad shit really. Of course, even in Hughes its possible to get away, but its real easy to get sucked in. One of the downsides of gorges ithaca

(Edit for unnecessary grimness lol its fine but LS will kinda take over a lot of your conversation youd be surprised, but once you make some good friends that gets better)

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:57 am

WeeBey wrote:Probably doesn't help I'll be in Hughes does it lol I'm not totally averse to it, I just think I'd go crazy if they're always taking about LS stuff.

a year from now you will have zero non-law related things to discuss so lol

just lol

hang on to your old interests and hobbies as long as you can is my advice

don't end up like me

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:17 am

mt2165 wrote:

Well sorry but then be prepared to go crazy thats like 90% of what we talk about-there are people I talked to like everyday and 6 months in all i knew about them was what they thought about law school-sad shit really. Of course, even in Hughes its possible to get away, but its real easy to get sucked in. One of the downsides of gorges ithaca

(Edit for unnecessary grimness lol its fine but LS will kinda take over a lot of your conversation youd be surprised, but once you make some good friends that gets better)

This is basically what happens. Undergrads are ratchet though, but they become more of an inconvenience/annoyance by the end of the semester (especially spring). This will make more sense in the future, but take advantage of some of the grad school mixers/happy hours that go on during the semester, at least that's a good way to branch out of the law school, if cabin fever is a real concern.

Ultimately, my main advice is find something that will distract you for a little bit each day. You can get away, but you need to also take the initiative.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:22 pm

Wow, I didnt think it would bad... And people still choose to date other law students haha

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm

You think you'll go crazy, but there is comfort in knowing that the people around you are going through the same academic shit that you are and understand what it's like. Talking to them helps you get through 1L. Seeing undergrads happy and partying just made me yearn for those days.

Besides my close friends and I still talk about random shit, make stupid jokes, go out to eat, etc. You can make time for your hobbies (watching sports is pretty easy). And there were a lot more social events than I was expecting up until 3-4 weeks before finals.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Yea All Right wrote:You think you'll go crazy, but there is comfort in knowing that the people around you are going through the same academic shit that you are and understand what it's like. Talking to them helps you get through 1L. Seeing undergrads happy and partying just made me yearn for those days.

Besides my close friends and I still talk about random shit, make stupid jokes, go out to eat, etc. You can make time for your hobbies (watching sports is pretty easy). And there were a lot more social events than I was expecting up until 3-4 weeks before finals.

Could it really be that bad? Isnt there only like 3hrs of class a day and aside from maybe finals, wouldn't another 3 every night be enough?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:16 pm

I don't know anyone putting in days under 6 hours. I know many who treat school like a 9-5 and did well enough, but that means literally working every second outside of class, including lunch. That requires pretty high efficiency/diligence though.

I don't think I ever put in under 8 hours of studying/reading a day, though. But I'm less efficient. I don't think anyone around median or above can truthfully say they spent 3 hours a day reading outside of class though

Dude that's not all sufficient

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:41 pm

runinthefront wrote:I don't know anyone putting in days under 6 hours. I know many who treat school like a 9-5 and did well enough, but that means literally working every second outside of class, including lunch. That requires pretty high efficiency/diligence though.

I don't think I ever put in under 8 hours of studying/reading a day, though. But I'm less efficient. I don't think anyone around median or above can truthfully say they spent 3 hours a day reading outside of class though

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So 3 hrs of class + another 8hrs? Those are 12 hrs days and 40hrs outside of class w/o weekends, 56hrs w/ weekends.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Law school is easily a 40 hour a week job at minimum. That's not me being gunnery, that's just the truth. But seriously, either you or your parents are paying anywhere from the COL to the full COA to attend, so you're really not there to work like 3 hours a day lol

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:46 pm

WeeBey wrote:
runinthefront wrote:I don't know anyone putting in days under 6 hours. I know many who treat school like a 9-5 and did well enough, but that means literally working every second outside of class, including lunch. That requires pretty high efficiency/diligence though.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So 3 hrs of class + another 8hrs? Those are 12 hrs days and 40hrs outside of class w/o weekends, 56hrs w/ weekends.

I took every Saturday after 1pm off in the fall because college football

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”