Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lacepiece23

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:38 pm

toothbrush wrote:
bobbybird wrote:Thank you for your response. This, honestly, was my feeling from what I've read thus far about Cornell. It seems like such an undervalued school for it's employment data, so now that I'm in with the potential to get very good scholarship money, it's really high on my list. However, I keep doubting myself, thinking maybe I'm missing something critical.

To give you some food for thought - 8 people last year from the 1L class chose to pay more money to go to an objectively worse (using the data points you chose) [[EDIT - decided to fact check. NYU does have a better big firm score by .8%. However, NYU's clerkship placement is -2.1% comparatively, making it a loss of -1.3 for the two data points. I could edit this post for a better example, but I think most of what I say is still ok., just covering myself w/ this edit]] school and pay more money for it. I am speaking of those who transferred to NYU. I guess you can wonder why so many people did that (mind you, 17 transferred out of Cornell, only two of which went to HYS).

Without this being too cryptic, consider (1) Cornell's location. There are varying opinions on Ithaca and whether it's a good place to study or not. I fall in the camp that Ithaca was pretty awesome and is an excellent place to study. (2) Cornell's student body. The group tends to be a bit younger compared to some other t14. This, anecedotally, helps shape the atmosphere of the 1L class. In addition, there is indeed an isolating factor about Ithaca (compared to, say, NYC) whereby the attributes of the class are amplified. I'm not just talking out of my ass but a few current 1Ls have PM'd me saying the same thing. (3) Your career goals. Cornell is a NYC big law feeder. It is comparatively difficult to get many resources from the school or find like-minded individuals who don't want NYC big law. If you're in this camp who wants NYC big law, then great. If not, maybe you'd do better at somewhere like NYU that tends to have a broader class in terms of employment interests. That is not to say that PILU or CALSA or whatever don't do a good job in bringing like-minded individuals together - but they can't be as good as NYU for PI or places like Berk or Stanford for CA west coast.

Those are just some thoughts. Congrats on your acceptance and future money, though! Cornell is an excellent school and a great place to study - just maybe not for everyone. Using big firm % and clerkship % should not be the only consideration in choosing to spend three years somewhere, really.

I agree with a lot of this as well. The only thing I would disagree about is whether using big firm % and clerkship % data to pick a school. I think that if Cornell gives the most bang for their buck - an acceptable chance at biglaw at the lowest cost - then OP should jump on that like everyone else who is paying with loans should. That is not to say that to some ppl x better percentage chance of getting biglaw isn't worth extra money. But I think all in all if you are going to get Biglaw from say Columbia 9 times out of 10 you would have gotten it from Cornell.

The reason why I say this is because when you think about it its really 2 years of law school. 1L is shit everywhere you go. You should really be busting your ass and honestly I don't know any 1L that is like damn I love my life right now anywhere . But those second two years could be better in a place that you like especially after you are biglaw secure. Now I know a lot of people believe it or not pay sticker for Cornell. So those people aren't really giving up anything by transferring to another school. But I do know several people who could have gotten HYS who stayed because they didn't want to give up class rank and scholly.

I'm in the camp that really enjoyed my time in Ithaca. I'm just saying if you look at the other threads and from talking to ppl that have graduated debt fucking sucks. You can suck up two years if it means saving tens of thousands of dollars.

Just my 2 cents. Otherwise solid post by Toothbush.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:40 am

bobbybird wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
bobbybird wrote:I really appreciate the guidance. Those aren't my only criteria, and honestly it felt a little dumb to base my original post solely around those numbers (thus the 'poindexter' comment) but I wanted to get a feel for those things before I go into considering a lot of the other stuff. I know Ithaca is very isolated and can get very cold, and I have plans to visit the campus and speak to other grads so I can be as informed as I can be if I decide to go there.

About transferring to NYU, I have a feeling those minor difference in %'s for those categories pale in comparison to the location aspect, on top of everything you said, toothbrush. I've heard about NYU students casually having lunch with biglaw associates in between classes, which is a benefit that you can't really quantify but is probably worth any perceived drop in %'s.

As a BigLaw associate, I fail to see how anyone would benefit from having lunch with me except to the extent that person decides, as a result of our lunch, not to do BigLaw. And besides, you can have lunch with me when visiting form Cornell, anyway. I've helped out plenty of Cornellians who weren't around to be a free meal ticket for me.

Lol, fair point. I had heard that there is potential to create a relationship that one could leverage when looking for full-time work, but I can't argue with first-hand experience from the other side.

My point wasn't really that it's not possible. My point was that you can create that relationship if you're at Cornell, at least to the extent that I don't think it's a reason to choose NYU/Columbia over Cornell. I have gotten at least two people from Cornell CBs at my firm who missed out on them at AJF. (One of them accepted the offer.) Similarly, I got CBs at two V10 firms through alumni who pulled strings for me. Columbia, on the other hand, has such a strong presence at my firm that I think that if someone randomly contacted my coworkers asking for a lunch they might just ignore it. Don't underestimate the close-knit network of alumni generated by having a small class isolated in the middle of nowhere.

Edited for persuasive effect.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:17 pm

Lincoln wrote:
bobbybird wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
bobbybird wrote:I really appreciate the guidance. Those aren't my only criteria, and honestly it felt a little dumb to base my original post solely around those numbers (thus the 'poindexter' comment) but I wanted to get a feel for those things before I go into considering a lot of the other stuff. I know Ithaca is very isolated and can get very cold, and I have plans to visit the campus and speak to other grads so I can be as informed as I can be if I decide to go there.

About transferring to NYU, I have a feeling those minor difference in %'s for those categories pale in comparison to the location aspect, on top of everything you said, toothbrush. I've heard about NYU students casually having lunch with biglaw associates in between classes, which is a benefit that you can't really quantify but is probably worth any perceived drop in %'s.

As a BigLaw associate, I fail to see how anyone would benefit from having lunch with me except to the extent that person decides, as a result of our lunch, not to do BigLaw. And besides, you can have lunch with me when visiting form Cornell, anyway. I've helped out plenty of Cornellians who weren't around to be a free meal ticket for me.

Lol, fair point. I had heard that there is potential to create a relationship that one could leverage when looking for full-time work, but I can't argue with first-hand experience from the other side.

My point wasn't really that it's not possible. My point was that you can create that relationship if you're at Cornell, at least to the extent that I don't think it's a reason to choose NYU/Columbia over Cornell. I have gotten at least two people from Cornell CBs at my firm who missed out on them at AJF. (One of them accepted the offer.) Similarly, I got CBs at two V10 firms through alumni who pulled strings for me. Columbia, on the other hand, has such a strong presence at my firm that I think that if someone randomly contacted my coworkers asking for a lunch they might just ignore it. Don't underestimate the close-knit network of alumni generated by having a small class isolated in the middle of nowhere.

Edited for persuasive effect.

Yes, never underestimate the power of this effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEGy_asxL2U

Carter1901

Postby Carter1901 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:

Yes, never underestimate the power of this effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEGy_asxL2U

Beautifully done.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Outside of Hillman's Hornbook, what other supplement's are good for Rachlinski?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:00 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Outside of Hillman's Hornbook, what other supplement's are good for Rachlinski?

You don't need anything else. Near the end of the semester he gives you 4 years worth of old exams with the answers that are A+ answers. All you need to do is outline them, learn them, and be able to apply his method to the new set of facts. Hillman's hornbook gives the background and will help you issue spot etc.

Edit: Don't worry too much about the exam yet; but when it gets closer I am open to taking PM's and writing out more of a guide to Rachlinski's exam.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:40 pm

New grading policy is finally up for those of you who care.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:50 pm

ImNoScar wrote:New grading policy is finally up for those of you who care.

Finally. Thanks.

eed333

Postby eed333 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:35 pm

New grading policy?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:43 pm

aad993 wrote:New grading policy?

You're a 0L, right? It's not a new policy affecting you; we just mean the GPA cutoffs for certain ranks.

eed333

Postby eed333 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Lavitz wrote:
aad993 wrote:New grading policy?

You're a 0L, right? It's not a new policy affecting you; we just mean the GPA cutoffs for certain ranks.

Oh okay thanks Lavitz

TheatreofDreams1

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:21 pm

ED admitted student here with a quick question. (Actually, LOTS of questions...but I'll start with one).

Can anyone shed some light on the housing situation. I'll be moving to Ithaca from NYC and began browsing Craigslist for potential apartments. Where do most students rent from/find their apartments, is there a Cornell list serve for this?

Also, can anyone speak to Hughes Hall? I'm 3 years out of UG, but the convenience of not having to deal with a landlord is really appealing to me at least for 1L.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:24 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:ED admitted student here with a quick question. (Actually, LOTS of questions...but I'll start with one).

Can anyone shed some light on the housing situation. I'll be moving to Ithaca from NYC and began browsing Craigslist for potential apartments. Where do most students rent from/find their apartments, is there a Cornell list serve for this?

Also, can anyone speak to Hughes Hall? I'm 3 years out of UG, but the convenience of not having to deal with a landlord is really appealing to me at least for 1L.

There's a Cornell Law listserv, but you won't be added to it until around orientation. Collegetown Terrace is fairly popular. But you can find cheaper stuff if you look around. Just copying this from c/o 2017 thread:

I was also 3 years out of UG, and I enjoyed Hughes. Great for getting to know people. And you don't have to walk up the hill in the snow every day like I do now. It's not for everyone though. PM me if you want more specifics.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Random ignorant 1L question-what exactly happens in between the ending of AJF and the beginning of class? Do most people go back to Ithaca and just chill and wait/pray to sweet jesus for callbacks?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:00 pm

mt2165 wrote:Random ignorant 1L question-what exactly happens in between the ending of AJF and the beginning of class? Do most people go back to Ithaca and just chill and wait/pray to sweet jesus for callbacks?

Depends on the person probably. If you can front a hotel for the post-ajf week or can crash around nyc, some do that. Others go back to ithaca. Firms will pay for you to travel back (c2c) so that's a fine option.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:55 pm

toothbrush wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Random ignorant 1L question-what exactly happens in between the ending of AJF and the beginning of class? Do most people go back to Ithaca and just chill and wait/pray to sweet jesus for callbacks?

Depends on the person probably. If you can front a hotel for the post-ajf week or can crash around nyc, some do that. Others go back to ithaca. Firms will pay for you to travel back (c2c) so that's a fine option.

Thanks, that makes sense. It all just seems like kind of awkward timing

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Lavitz wrote:
TheatreofDreams1 wrote:ED admitted student here with a quick question. (Actually, LOTS of questions...but I'll start with one).

I was also 3 years out of UG, and I enjoyed Hughes. Great for getting to know people. And you don't have to walk up the hill in the snow every day like I do now. It's not for everyone though. PM me if you want more specifics.

Can attest, walking up the damned hills is the worst...especially during the winter.

future!jd12

Postby future!jd12 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 pm

regarding Hughes Hall, if I don't make my deposit until the last day to do so (April 25), will I miss the boat on being able to live there? I realize there are limited spots so just wondering if its first come first serve

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:23 am

future!jd12 wrote:regarding Hughes Hall, if I don't make my deposit until the last day to do so (April 25), will I miss the boat on being able to live there? I realize there are limited spots so just wondering if its first come first serve

Most likely will.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:59 pm

Hey all! I've got a slew of questions that have probably already been addressed in some form earlier in the thread (or on some school page), but I'm too lazy to read through 200+ pages. :mrgreen:

- If there are any Virginians here, how does Ithaca compare to Charlottesville or Blacksburg?
    - Are there dorms with individual rooms? I don't care about sharing a bathroom, but I don't want a literal roommate.
    - Where does Cornell stand in terms of unicorn jobs (DOJ and the like)?
    - LST shows that only 6.7% of graduates place in DC. Is it safe to assume that this is largely self-selection and that Cornell is competitive in DC?
    - Will I miss out on much if I don't go to an ASD, but visit on a random weekend instead?

I feel like I had a bunch of questions that I can't remember anymore. :| Oh well!

Thanks!

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:15 pm

commandercup wrote:Hey all! I've got a slew of questions that have probably already been addressed in some form earlier in the thread (or on some school page), but I'm too lazy to read through 200+ pages. :mrgreen:

- If there are any Virginians here, how does Ithaca compare to Charlottesville or Blacksburg?
    - Are there dorms with individual rooms? I don't care about sharing a bathroom, but I don't want a literal roommate.
    - Where does Cornell stand in terms of unicorn jobs (DOJ and the like)?
    - LST shows that only 6.7% of graduates place in DC. Is it safe to assume that this is largely self-selection and that Cornell is competitive in DC?
    - Will I miss out on much if I don't go to an ASD, but visit on a random weekend instead?

I feel like I had a bunch of questions that I can't remember anymore. :| Oh well!

Thanks!

Current 1L, I can answer some of your questions.

-Don't know enough about the cities to compare them.
-There is a dorm connected to the law school with law students only, it's called Hughes Hall. Each person gets their own room and shares the bathroom with other rooms in the same suite.
-I haven't gone through recruiting yet but I expect people to advise you to not pick a school based on unicorn prospects since they're so rare, unless YHS are options.
-I know of 2-3 2Ls who are going to DC, and I don't know the job placements of many 2Ls. That being said, you'll definitely need good grades.
-You won't miss out on anything important but the ASD is definitely fun since you get to talk to other admits, there is more of a schedule set up to accommodate you, etc.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:34 pm

Can anyone give advice on how to take practice exams for Garvey Crim Law? Right now all I have is that Model Problems and Outstanding Answers book, but I'm not sure how to use it.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:51 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Can anyone give advice on how to take practice exams for Garvey Crim Law? Right now all I have is that Model Problems and Outstanding Answers book, but I'm not sure how to use it.

I was lazy and just went through all the practice exams in that book, wrote down the issues that I spotted, and didn't bother writing out full answers. Especially since there are issues in there that Garvey doesn't cover, and because I already learned how to write an exam during first semester, I felt like typing things out and timing myself was a waste of time. But I know people who actually wrote out answers for everything in that book plus the ones he gave us. I think I took one of the three practice exams he made available to us. Memorized the difference between the common law and MPC via flashcards and making a comparison chart from the hornbook and class slides. Did all of this right before the final without having paid any attention during the semester. Worked out very well.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Scheduling question for next year. Would it be smart for a 2L to take on an externship during the semester, or would that be too much to do when including potential journal, class, and club commitments during the semester. I'm debating applying for one for next semester, or waiting until 3L, but either way I don't want to screw myself over either.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:44 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Scheduling question for next year. Would it be smart for a 2L to take on an externship during the semester, or would that be too much to do when including potential journal, class, and club commitments during the semester. I'm debating applying for one for next semester, or waiting until 3L, but either way I don't want to screw myself over either.

I would probably wait till 3L year since journal commitment will be less unless you're an ME or something. And you'll know by then whether you got an SA gig so you'll know whether or not you should be focusing on your grades (maintaining high grades only really matters if you don't have a job yet after your 2L summer). If you don't get an SA gig and need to keep your grades high, I think you might end up kicking yourself for planning to extern as a 2L.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”