Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
studymaster
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby studymaster » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:59 pm

So... do any of the law school students live in grad housing besides hughes. With your own kitchen and bathroom, and relatively close, it seems like a nice choice. Any thoughts from you current students?

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 am

studymaster wrote:So... do any of the law school students live in grad housing besides hughes. With your own kitchen and bathroom, and relatively close, it seems like a nice choice. Any thoughts from you current students?


I know some people do, but I'm not sure who. I dunno.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:16 pm

woeisme wrote:
studymaster wrote:So... do any of the law school students live in grad housing besides hughes. With your own kitchen and bathroom, and relatively close, it seems like a nice choice. Any thoughts from you current students?


I know some people do, but I'm not sure who. I dunno.

I know some people do, and I know who.

I don't think any of them come to TLS, though. They seem to like it. There is one building that is basically an off-campus dorm. I don't know any more about that. There are also a couple buildings that have one-bedroom apts that seems like a quick and easy way to find housing if you aren't in the area.
I would have considered it but they don't allow pets and it didn't strike me as a particularly good deal financially.

User avatar
danr2040
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby danr2040 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for helping earlier with the financial aid question.

I plan on visiting Cornell in early April on Thursday and Friday. It's going to have to be these days because I need to finish my thesis here first, and I must combine the visit to Cornell with visits to other schools.

Are there any 1L courses that you guys recommend to visit on Thursday or Friday? Names and times would be appreciated.

Darth Topher
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Darth Topher » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 am

Why is the cost of living in Ithaca so DAMN high?

missv463
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby missv463 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:25 am

awesomepossum wrote:who are you guys getting for slope day this year?


+1

although, i don't think i'll be going back for slope day this year.... last time i was there was in 2007 and i think that was the year TI performed.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 am

Darth Topher wrote:Why is the cost of living in Ithaca so DAMN high?


Because rich kids will pay exorbitant prices for convenience/luxury/etc., driving up prices for everyone. Also, taxes in Tompkins county are unduly high. I'm sure landlords pass these on to tenants.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Darth Topher wrote:Why is the cost of living in Ithaca so DAMN high?

Er...it's not that high, really. Not even for the kind of town it is.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:42 pm

kn6542 wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:Why is the cost of living in Ithaca so DAMN high?

Er...it's not that high, really. Not even for the kind of town it is.


I don't know...it's pretty high for upstate NY. At least, rent is inordinately high.

law22
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby law22 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 pm

I saw in an earlier post that Cornell is very social and people celebrate the end of the week. I'm pretty sure I'll be going there in the fall, and I have a fiance. I was wondering if people tend to bring their SO's to events and hanging out.

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ecclaw07 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:47 pm

como wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:Why is the cost of living in Ithaca so DAMN high?

Er...it's not that high, really. Not even for the kind of town it is.


I don't know...it's pretty high for upstate NY. At least, rent is inordinately high.

+1 on that...It's actually kind of insane. I guess it has to do with the rich kid thing, taxes and the fact that it's on a (quite large) hill. Living on the top of the hill is prime time. :) Kind of amazes me, nonetheless, that my apartment in Boston was cheaper than anything I've seen in Ithaca.

Westmalle
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Westmalle » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:32 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
como wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:Why is the cost of living in Ithaca so DAMN high?

Er...it's not that high, really. Not even for the kind of town it is.


I don't know...it's pretty high for upstate NY. At least, rent is inordinately high.

+1 on that...It's actually kind of insane. I guess it has to do with the rich kid thing, taxes and the fact that it's on a (quite large) hill. Living on the top of the hill is prime time. :) Kind of amazes me, nonetheless, that my apartment in Boston was cheaper than anything I've seen in Ithaca.

You lived in Roxbury?

l'arte d'arrangiarsi
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby l'arte d'arrangiarsi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:43 pm

1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

2. where is the nearest airport?

3. how long is a train/bus ride to NYC?

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:01 pm

l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

2. where is the nearest airport?

3. how long is a train/bus ride to NYC?


1. depends on where you live. in collegetown (right next to the law school), 1BR runs 1000-1400, studio runs about 800-1100. If you live 1/4 mile away from the law school in lower collegetown or the commons, 1BR is like 650-1000 and studio more like 500-850. you can live a little further out for quite cheap. i lived in hughes this year, which is about 10 feet from the law school, and paid $777/month for a room with all utilities, but share a bathroom, and have access to a common kitchen. Next year I'm living in a 380 sq. ft. one-bedroom in lower collegetown for $690 including heat/water, which is considered a pretty good deal.

2. there's an airport in ithaca, but i'd never use it, since it's very expensive and doesn't go direct to anywhere i want to go. the nearest decent ones are in syracuse (1 hour away) and rochester (2 hours away), though you can get better deals out of buffalo (3 hours away) and NYC (4-5 hours away).

3. there is no train station in ithaca. there used to be; now it's a bank. on the bus, it takes about 4-6 hours depending on what bus you take.
Last edited by 18488 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ecclaw07 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Westmalle wrote:You lived in Roxbury?

Maybe I should clarify. I'm looking at distance to school vs. rent per month. Ithaca is cheaper if you live further away. I lived directly across from my undergrad (pretty much a 5 minute walk to any building on campus). Can't say the town or everyone will know what school I went to and need to maintain some anonymity. :) But it was a nice place, perfect location, very close to downtown Boston (not Roxbury, fwiw, lol). Living the same distance from the law school at Cornell for a similar price seems next to impossible.

Edit: Guess that's why they have Hughes. :)

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LeahNic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:58 pm

sbrown83 wrote:
l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

2. where is the nearest airport?

3. how long is a train/bus ride to NYC?


1. depends on where you live. in collegetown (right next to the law school), 1BR runs 1000-1400, studio runs about 800-1100. If you live 1/4 mile away from the law school in lower collegetown or the commons, 1BR is like 650-1000 and studio more like 500-850. you can live a little further out for quite cheap. i lived in hughes this year, which is about 10 feet from the law school, and paid $777/month for a room with all utilities, but share a bathroom, and have access to a common kitchen. Next year I'm living in a 380 sq. ft. one-bedroom in lower collegetown for $690 including heat/water, which is considered a pretty good deal.

2. there's an airport in ithaca, but i'd never use it, since it's very expensive and doesn't go direct to anywhere i want to go. the nearest decent ones are in syracuse (1 hour away) and rochester (2 hours away), though you can get better deals out of buffalo (3 hours away) and NYC (4-5 hours away).

3. there is no train station in ithaca. there used to be; now it's a bank. on the bus, it takes about 4-6 hours depending on what bus you take.


Currently the airport has some really good deals-- $200ish roundtrip from Houston etc. You just have to check for the deals more frequently. 3 airlines fly into Ithaca.

Its also pretty easy to live a couple of miles away from the law school because the 10 and 30 bus go right to it very frequently. So, if you are worried about money-- you can pick a further distance (make sure its on a bus route) and live cheaper.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby underdawg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:05 pm

how was neskerdoo's backstreet boys rendition?

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:09 pm

underdawg wrote:how was neskerdoo's backstreet boys rendition?

it was worthy of early-mid season American Idol.

craneaa
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby craneaa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
Westmalle wrote:You lived in Roxbury?

Maybe I should clarify. I'm looking at distance to school vs. rent per month. Ithaca is cheaper if you live further away. I lived directly across from my undergrad (pretty much a 5 minute walk to any building on campus). Can't say the town or everyone will know what school I went to and need to maintain some anonymity. :) But it was a nice place, perfect location, very close to downtown Boston (not Roxbury, fwiw, lol). Living the same distance from the law school at Cornell for a similar price seems next to impossible.

Edit: Guess that's why they have Hughes. :)

Must've been.... Tufts

User avatar
Zuckerkorn
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Zuckerkorn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:54 pm

In the off chance that one of you guys lives in Hughes and waited till April last year to commit... I was wondering if its not too late to grab a spot in Hughes if I wait till the mid-April deadline to send in my first deposit? I know they recommend sending it in asap in order to get the housing application, but I still have to visit my top two choices before I can make up my mind. I wouldn't be discouraged from attending if I had to look for alternative housing but I really dig the convenience.

missv463
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby missv463 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:02 pm

Zuckerkorn wrote:In the off chance that one of you guys lives in Hughes and waited till April last year to commit... I was wondering if its not too late to grab a spot in Hughes if I wait till the mid-April deadline to send in my first deposit? I know they recommend sending it in asap in order to get the housing application, but I still have to visit my top two choices before I can make up my mind. I wouldn't be discouraged from attending if I had to look for alternative housing but I really dig the convenience.


i think Cornell sends the housing applications to everyone who sends in their deposit by the deadline at the same time. so you still may have a shot. double check the note that came with the acceptance letter... i'm pretty sure that's what it says.

User avatar
Zuckerkorn
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Zuckerkorn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:05 am

missv463 wrote:i think Cornell sends the housing applications to everyone who sends in their deposit by the deadline at the same time. so you still may have a shot. double check the note that came with the acceptance letter... i'm pretty sure that's what it says.


Thanks, I just reread it and that does indeed appear to be the case. I could've sworn I read something somewhere that gave me the initial sense of urgency, but maybe its just my subconscious giving me a reason to send in the deposit and finally decide where to go. :D

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:21 am

LeahNic wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:
l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

2. where is the nearest airport?

3. how long is a train/bus ride to NYC?


1. depends on where you live. in collegetown (right next to the law school), 1BR runs 1000-1400, studio runs about 800-1100. If you live 1/4 mile away from the law school in lower collegetown or the commons, 1BR is like 650-1000 and studio more like 500-850. you can live a little further out for quite cheap. i lived in hughes this year, which is about 10 feet from the law school, and paid $777/month for a room with all utilities, but share a bathroom, and have access to a common kitchen. Next year I'm living in a 380 sq. ft. one-bedroom in lower collegetown for $690 including heat/water, which is considered a pretty good deal.

2. there's an airport in ithaca, but i'd never use it, since it's very expensive and doesn't go direct to anywhere i want to go. the nearest decent ones are in syracuse (1 hour away) and rochester (2 hours away), though you can get better deals out of buffalo (3 hours away) and NYC (4-5 hours away).

3. there is no train station in ithaca. there used to be; now it's a bank. on the bus, it takes about 4-6 hours depending on what bus you take.


Currently the airport has some really good deals-- $200ish roundtrip from Houston etc. You just have to check for the deals more frequently. 3 airlines fly into Ithaca.

Its also pretty easy to live a couple of miles away from the law school because the 10 and 30 bus go right to it very frequently. So, if you are worried about money-- you can pick a further distance (make sure its on a bus route) and live cheaper.


On this note, you can also get a round-trip to Chicago for around the $200.

As for Neskerdoo's Backstreet Boys performance, if Taylor Hicks can win American Idol, so can neskerdoo.

missv463
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby missv463 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:27 am

Zuckerkorn wrote:
missv463 wrote:i think Cornell sends the housing applications to everyone who sends in their deposit by the deadline at the same time. so you still may have a shot. double check the note that came with the acceptance letter... i'm pretty sure that's what it says.


Thanks, I just reread it and that does indeed appear to be the case. I could've sworn I read something somewhere that gave me the initial sense of urgency, but maybe its just my subconscious giving me a reason to send in the deposit and finally decide where to go. :D


no worries... i thought the same thing, too! then i re-read and was like ohhh i see now :lol:

l'arte d'arrangiarsi
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby l'arte d'arrangiarsi » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:17 pm

LeahNic wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:
l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

2. where is the nearest airport?

3. how long is a train/bus ride to NYC?


1. depends on where you live. in collegetown (right next to the law school), 1BR runs 1000-1400, studio runs about 800-1100. If you live 1/4 mile away from the law school in lower collegetown or the commons, 1BR is like 650-1000 and studio more like 500-850. you can live a little further out for quite cheap. i lived in hughes this year, which is about 10 feet from the law school, and paid $777/month for a room with all utilities, but share a bathroom, and have access to a common kitchen. Next year I'm living in a 380 sq. ft. one-bedroom in lower collegetown for $690 including heat/water, which is considered a pretty good deal.

2. there's an airport in ithaca, but i'd never use it, since it's very expensive and doesn't go direct to anywhere i want to go. the nearest decent ones are in syracuse (1 hour away) and rochester (2 hours away), though you can get better deals out of buffalo (3 hours away) and NYC (4-5 hours away).

3. there is no train station in ithaca. there used to be; now it's a bank. on the bus, it takes about 4-6 hours depending on what bus you take.


Currently the airport has some really good deals-- $200ish roundtrip from Houston etc. You just have to check for the deals more frequently. 3 airlines fly into Ithaca.

Its also pretty easy to live a couple of miles away from the law school because the 10 and 30 bus go right to it very frequently. So, if you are worried about money-- you can pick a further distance (make sure its on a bus route) and live cheaper.


thanks leah and sbrown for your answers! :)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carasrook, FascinatedWanderer, Lacepiece23 and 3 guests