Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yea All Right

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Yea All Right » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:12 pm

toothbrush wrote:are you weird? are you targeting outside NYC? are you a white male k-jd who never had a job?

if yes to any of those questions, i'd put prospects at borderline difficult. again, it's doable, but it makes it much harder.

if you are 2/3 of those things i'd try to change that before law school anyways. particularly the third one.

What if you're an Asian-American male K-JD? :D

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
toothbrush wrote:are you weird? are you targeting outside NYC? are you a white male k-jd who never had a job?

if yes to any of those questions, i'd put prospects at borderline difficult. again, it's doable, but it makes it much harder.

if you are 2/3 of those things i'd try to change that before law school anyways. particularly the third one.

there's an operation for that

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:03 pm

toothbrush wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Lol thanks for the concise answer. I'm like .5 of those (somewhat, though not entirely targeting non-NYC market). But I'm an AA Male k-jd, for what it's worth, with some interesting/possibly beneficial softs.

.5 of 3. i like your style.

i feel like everyone asks "what happens if im at median" but the truth is there is no credible answer for that. it's all up to varying factors like interviewing skills, softs, target market, bidding, selectivity, etc.

then again, i think if you top 10% there's a (small) chance you can strike out of big law by having the above factors and not being smart.

from what i hear, diverse students at median who hustle will find big law jobs.

oh, i'm a 1l so it's speculative since i haven't gone through recruitment yet w/ my class to see who strikes out (or not)

hth

Yeah, depends on if your normal or not to be honest. Honestly the best thing I heard on TLS is that 1L is the revenge of the nerds, and OCI is when the sociable median strikes back. I think that's pretty true. Not to say your going to get a V5 or whatever at median, but you can't defintely outperform your numbers if you are a great interviewer, and have good softs.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 am

ImNoScar wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Just for clarification purposes, what would you say are the average employment prospects of a cornell student at median? Like I'm sure they have to hustle, but is the consensus that if such a student acts with care they'll be in an ok spot? Sorry if I'm being too vague. It's kind of a vague inquiry.

You'll be fine. Just do your homework w/r/t bidding and interviewing, and be yourself.

Yes, and with bid lists have a current 2L/3L look at it and sign off on it. Do not rely on career services to know what a good bidlist looks like.

Agreed on all fronts. Be [the best version] of yourself. Do your research ahead of time. And definitely give a 2L/3L you trust your bidlist/GPA range, so they can determine whether you're bidding appropriately. Arbiter, for example, provides [reasonably] good feedback.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Lol thanks for the concise answer. I'm like .5 of those (somewhat, though not entirely targeting non-NYC market). But I'm an AA Male k-jd, for what it's worth, with some interesting/possibly beneficial softs.

i feel like everyone asks "what happens if im at median" but the truth is there is no credible answer for that. it's all up to varying factors like interviewing skills, softs, target market, bidding, selectivity, etc.

then again, i think if you top 10% there's a (small) chance you can strike out of big law by having the above factors and not being smart.

oh, i'm a 1l so it's speculative since i haven't gone through recruitment yet w/ my class to see who strikes out (or not)

hth

Yeah, depends on if your normal or not to be honest. Honestly the best thing I heard on TLS is that 1L is the revenge of the nerds, and OCI is when the sociable median strikes back. I think that's pretty true. Not to say your going to get a V5 or whatever at median, but you can't defintely outperform your numbers if you are a great interviewer, and have good softs.

So to continue the analogy, what's Return of the Jedi?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:32 am

gonewiththewind wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

hth

So to continue the analogy, what's Return of the Jedi?

Hopefully 3L lol... the above i mean't can* obviously.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:18 am

toothbrush wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:

See, e.g., Fred Korematsu

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:25 pm

gonewiththewind wrote: Arbiter, for example, provides [reasonably] good feedback.

Before I get a massive influx of PM's, please note that 1. I am self confessedly pretty useless for people below, say, a 3.65. 2. My fucks have been largely depleted by now.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:11 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:

See, e.g., Fred Korematsu

Well shucks.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Deposited and withdrew all other offers, very very excited to be joining you all!

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:42 pm

mt2165 wrote:Deposited and withdrew all other offers, very very excited to be joining you all!

Welcome where you living?

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:17 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Deposited and withdrew all other offers, very very excited to be joining you all!

No substantive idea lol

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:32 pm

mt2165 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

No substantive idea lol

Haha okay.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
mt2165 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

No substantive idea lol

Haha okay.

Whats the word on maplewood?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:22 am

My friends an RA there. Its not bad pretty big rooms, but Kinda far away from the law school. At least a 15 minute walk. The bus comes, but it can sometimes be a hassle. Law students don't really live there because of Hughes.

redsoxfan1989

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:51 am

Does anyone have experience with Beer Properties as a landlord?

billydaduck

Postby billydaduck » Fri May 02, 2014 9:33 pm

Would it be harder to target a market outside of NYC that's not a prime market like LA/NYC/DC?

What if for example, I was trying to target Denver/Seattle?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat May 03, 2014 1:31 am

billydaduck wrote:Would it be harder to target a market outside of NYC that's not a prime market like LA/NYC/DC?

First, you'll probably need strong ties to break into those markets. Second, you'll have to do all the leg work yourself: Identify firms, send cold apps, follow up, maybe even pay for flying out to interview, etc.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat May 03, 2014 1:45 am

billydaduck wrote:Would it be harder to target a market outside of NYC that's not a prime market like LA/NYC/DC?

I've met alumni at events on campus from both Denver and Seattle who were in hiring positions. I'd wager we have better ties with Seattle, as Nicole Sandoz has strong ties with Perkins Coie in Seattle. But I echo Lincoln's sentiment that you need strong ties and you have to be prepared to put in the work.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:22 am

Lincoln wrote:

First, you'll probably need strong ties to break into those markets. Second, you'll have to do all the leg work yourself: Identify firms, send cold apps, follow up, maybe even pay for flying out to interview, etc.

That said, a 3L this year summered at Perkins Coie in Seattle, so it is possible.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon May 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

That said, a 3L this year summered at Perkins Coie in Seattle, so it is possible.

It's definitely possible, but also definitely "harder", in that you can't just get a firm via lottery and roll into AJF and say "Oh I've never spent more than a day in your city but I'd still like to work for your firm", like you can with NYC and still get an offer.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon May 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Anyone do well in crim (Ohlin) and have advice? Feel free to pm. Not sure how to approach this exam or answering his questions.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue May 06, 2014 12:01 am

toothbrush wrote:Anyone do well in crim (Ohlin) and have advice? Feel free to pm. Not sure how to approach this exam or answering his questions.

Worst grade I got in all of law school. I can send you my outline and then you can just insert "not" everywhere and get an A.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue May 06, 2014 10:18 am

toothbrush wrote:Anyone do well in crim (Ohlin) and have advice? Feel free to pm. Not sure how to approach this exam or answering his questions.

Pay very close attention to the MPC.

redsoxfan1989

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Two qs:

1. How hard is it to get hockey season tix for a law student/is it a bad idea for 1l to do so?

2. Are most leases in Ithaca joint (i.e. all the roommates sign the same lease) or individual (i.e. each roommate gets their own separate agreement)? Asking for liability purposes...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”