Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 052220151 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks dudes. I just did a little kayaking and found out that tickets aren't that bad into ithaca. This seems like an imminently manageable pain in the ass.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:40 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
Do not do either of these things. The bus from NYC is pretty expensive and takes forever, because Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. The Syracuse option is less bad, but you probably wouldn't be saving enough money to sign up for all the aggravation. Usually people fly into Philly and transfer on to one of those tiny planes to Ithaca airport.


This. For a money/time compromise, though, flying into NYC and taking the Campus to Campus bus from Midtown to Ithaca is a great option.


I wouldn't even recommend that. Round trip c2c will run you about $165, and you still have to get from whatever airport to midtown, which takes time and money. Just fly into Ithaca. Trying to get around it just invites all sorts of complications that aren't worth the $50 or whatever that you would save.

I guess it depends on how much money. Last time I flew in it was a $200 difference for Syracuse, so that was definitely worth it. It's really not a hassle to get to or from Syracuse. If it's less than $100 then you're probably right that it's not worth it.
And the C2C is great for trips to and from NYC generally, but probably not for this situation (unless the flight is just way cheaper into NYC).

bincognito
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby bincognito » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 pm

Any recs for pet friendly housing?

Thank you!

User avatar
HanShotFirst
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:05 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HanShotFirst » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Would someone with CA ties have a shot at CA biglaw? Does Cornell have any west coast recruiting events?

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 pm

bincognito wrote:Any recs for pet friendly housing?

Thank you!

What kind of pet? From what I gather, you need to go further out downtown or north campus for dogs. Cats you can accommodate around collegetown in certain complexes.

bincognito
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby bincognito » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:16 pm

toothbrush wrote:
bincognito wrote:Any recs for pet friendly housing?

Thank you!

What kind of pet? From what I gather, you need to go further out downtown or north campus for dogs. Cats you can accommodate around collegetown in certain complexes.



Thanks for the response! It's a small dog.

igotolawschool
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby igotolawschool » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:20 pm

bincognito wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
bincognito wrote:Any recs for pet friendly housing?

Thank you!

What kind of pet? From what I gather, you need to go further out downtown or north campus for dogs. Cats you can accommodate around collegetown in certain complexes.



Thanks for the response! It's a small dog.



Definitely check out the apartment complex next to the Urban Outfitters. Some other apartments in the downtown area should be dog-friendly, you should be able to find somewhere via Craigslist.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:07 pm

HanShotFirst wrote:Would someone with CA ties have a shot at CA biglaw? Does Cornell have any west coast recruiting events?


Yes and yes. I'm sure its in this thread somewhere but a lot of people from california go back. We even have a club that is specifically designed to help people with this.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Otunga » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 pm

If you strike out at biglaw at Cornell, and you don't pursue PI and make yourself PI-competitive during 2L and 3L, are you stuck with shitlaw? I mean, Cornell's class last year had a good LST score of 85%, but do students on here have anecdotes relating to striking out at biglaw? Looking at the stats, 12 people have what TLS would say is an undesirable outcome (outside of straight jobless), whether in business/industry, state/local clerkships or firms with 25 lawyers or less.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Otunga wrote:If you strike out at biglaw at Cornell, and you don't pursue PI and make yourself PI-competitive during 2L and 3L, are you stuck with shitlaw? I mean, Cornell's class last year had a good LST score of 85%, but do students on here have anecdotes relating to striking out at biglaw? Looking at the stats, 12 people have what TLS would say is an undesirable outcome (outside of straight jobless), whether in business/industry, state/local clerkships or firms with 25 lawyers or less.


You shouldn't assume state clerkships are undesirable.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:10 am

vicpin5190 wrote:I'm interested in pursuing Miami Big Law (i'm from the area so strong ties). I did some brief skimming through some of the law firms down there and it was tough for me to find anything about Cornell recruiting. Does Cornell place at all in the area? If so how many and/or what is the success rate.


Gonna have to due that on ur own probably from any T14 you go to. Im going back to PIttsburgh with strong ties. Employers didn't seem to care which T14 I go to outside of HYS. They were more interested in good grades and strong ties. You'll have to reach out to these firms on your own, but its not very difficult to do. HOwever, Miami is an even tougher market than Pittsburgh.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Otunga wrote:If you strike out at biglaw at Cornell, and you don't pursue PI and make yourself PI-competitive during 2L and 3L, are you stuck with shitlaw? I mean, Cornell's class last year had a good LST score of 85%, but do students on here have anecdotes relating to striking out at biglaw? Looking at the stats, 12 people have what TLS would say is an undesirable outcome (outside of straight jobless), whether in business/industry, state/local clerkships or firms with 25 lawyers or less.


Anecdote? Sure, I have some. But because they're just that, you won't really learn anything from them.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Otunga » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Otunga wrote:If you strike out at biglaw at Cornell, and you don't pursue PI and make yourself PI-competitive during 2L and 3L, are you stuck with shitlaw? I mean, Cornell's class last year had a good LST score of 85%, but do students on here have anecdotes relating to striking out at biglaw? Looking at the stats, 12 people have what TLS would say is an undesirable outcome (outside of straight jobless), whether in business/industry, state/local clerkships or firms with 25 lawyers or less.


Anecdote? Sure, I have some. But because they're just that, you won't really learn anything from them.


If you want to share here or PM, I'd like to hear it.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Otunga wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Otunga wrote:If you strike out at biglaw at Cornell, and you don't pursue PI and make yourself PI-competitive during 2L and 3L, are you stuck with shitlaw? I mean, Cornell's class last year had a good LST score of 85%, but do students on here have anecdotes relating to striking out at biglaw? Looking at the stats, 12 people have what TLS would say is an undesirable outcome (outside of straight jobless), whether in business/industry, state/local clerkships or firms with 25 lawyers or less.


Anecdote? Sure, I have some. But because they're just that, you won't really learn anything from them.


If you want to share here or PM, I'd like to hear it.



I know this might sound whatever, but if your a social normal person you have a really good chance of getting biglaw at Cornell with less than stellar grades. There is that person who finishes last, and thats always a possibility, but if you are that low you should probably drop anyway after first semester and cut your losses. Thats not just at Cornell either.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Otunga wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Otunga wrote:If you strike out at biglaw at Cornell, and you don't pursue PI and make yourself PI-competitive during 2L and 3L, are you stuck with shitlaw? I mean, Cornell's class last year had a good LST score of 85%, but do students on here have anecdotes relating to striking out at biglaw? Looking at the stats, 12 people have what TLS would say is an undesirable outcome (outside of straight jobless), whether in business/industry, state/local clerkships or firms with 25 lawyers or less.


Anecdote? Sure, I have some. But because they're just that, you won't really learn anything from them.


If you want to share here or PM, I'd like to hear it.



I know this might sound whatever, but if your you're a social normal person you have a really good chance of getting biglaw at Cornell with less than stellar grades. There is that person who finishes last, and thats always a possibility, but if you are that low you should probably drop anyway after first semester and cut your losses. Thats not just at Cornell either.



:|

PrideandGlory1776
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:52 pm

With tuition going up to 60k what is the debt load that current students think is probably the upper limit of worthwhile debt beyond which the cost would not longer be advantageous investment over other lower ranked schools? 150k? 180k? 200k? Or conversely what's the minimum amount of scholarship that would need to be offered to make it worthwhile over a full-ride to t-20 non-t-14?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:04 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:With tuition going up to 60k what is the debt load that current students think is probably the upper limit of worthwhile debt beyond which the cost would not longer be advantageous investment over other lower ranked schools? 150k? 180k? 200k? Or conversely what's the minimum amount of scholarship that would need to be offered to make it worthwhile over a full-ride to t-20 non-t-14?

Ugh, this made me look up our new tuition: $59,360.

To (not really) answer your question, it completely depends on your goals, geographic preferences, personal finances, and risk-aversion.

User avatar
HanShotFirst
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:05 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HanShotFirst » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:41 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:I know this might sound whatever, but if your you're a social normal person you have a really good chance of getting biglaw at Cornell with less than stellar grades. There is that person who finishes last, and thats always a possibility, but if you are that low you should probably drop anyway after first semester and cut your losses. Thats not just at Cornell either.



:|


social socially normal

FTFY

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:01 pm

HanShotFirst wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:I know this might sound whatever, but if your you're a social normal person you have a really good chance of getting biglaw at Cornell with less than stellar grades. There is that person who finishes last, and thats always a possibility, but if you are that low you should probably drop anyway after first semester and cut your losses. Thats not just at Cornell either.



:|


social socially normal

FTFY


Clearly we know what category I'm in. :wink:

I'd have just added a comma between social and normal though.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 pm

So we are really checking my forum posts for grammar now lol.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:So we are really checking my forum posts for grammar now lol.


Don't listen to the LR douches.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 am

Lincoln wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:So we are really checking my forum posts for grammar now lol.


Don't listen to the LR douches.


It's not our fault we grammar check compulsively.

linkx13
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby linkx13 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 am

Does anyone have familiarity with PILIPP? It looks like loan payments would still be high, though the debt is gone in 10 years I'm assuming.

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:So we are really checking my forum posts for grammar now lol.


Don't listen to the LR douches.


*confirmed autists




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest