Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn6542

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:57 am

JJim1919 wrote:Does anyone know if Cornell gives merit aid? I was accepted but saw no mention of it. Will it come at a later date?

They conflate merit and need aid so you won't know what precisely prompted the money.

You need to complete the financial aid application forms by March 15th if you want to be considered for money (including "merit aid"). Do a Needaccess as well.
http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... /Forms.cfm

butternose

Postby butternose » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Where do I make my check out to, current Cornell Law students?

Cornell University Law School? Cornell University? Does it matter?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 pm

butternose wrote:Where do I make my check out to, current Cornell Law students?

Cornell University Law School? Cornell University? Does it matter?

I think you can just make it out to Cornell Law School. ("Cornell University Law School" doesn't exist, according to career services here)

Patches

Postby Patches » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Hey kn--awesome avatar...I love Jens Lekman!

I'm probably going to Cornell (but still waiting on a few other t14s). I was wondering how much grant money is typically given out and whether it's mostly based on merit or need. My LSAT score is low for Cornell, while my GPA is high (the difference between them probably puts me at the median for the entering class), so I wanted to get an idea for about how much I could possibly receive. And does anyone know why tuition jumped so much from previous years (this year it's going to be 48k)?!?

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:15 pm

I think it was $46K this year...

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Patches wrote:Hey kn--awesome avatar...I love Jens Lekman!

I'm probably going to Cornell (but still waiting on a few other t14s). I was wondering how much grant money is typically given out and whether it's mostly based on merit or need. My LSAT score is low for Cornell, while my GPA is high (the difference between them probably puts me at the median for the entering class), so I wanted to get an idea for about how much I could possibly receive. And does anyone know why tuition jumped so much from previous years (this year it's going to be 48k)?!?

Tuition last year was $46,670. This year it is $48,950. The increase is 4.9% which is a lot lower than a lot of law schools.

I know that the admissions comittee reviews your file to decide on merit money and then it goes to another committee to decide on need.

danr2040

Postby danr2040 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi guys,
I am in at Cornell, and I am looking forward to visiting before I decide where to go next year.

To the 1Ls, what is the merit aid process (and timeline) like? How did you go about negotiating for $? Was there ever a form to indicate what other schools you had been accepted to, and which ones had offered you merit aid?

If there was no form, do you think I should send a letter indicating where I have gotten in and where I have received money? My LSAT and GPA are at the 75%ile, so I'm hoping for some aid.

Thanks!

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:41 pm

danr2040 wrote:Hi guys,
I am in at Cornell, and I am looking forward to visiting before I decide where to go next year.

To the 1Ls, what is the merit aid process (and timeline) like? How did you go about negotiating for $? Was there ever a form to indicate what other schools you had been accepted to, and which ones had offered you merit aid?

If there was no form, do you think I should send a letter indicating where I have gotten in and where I have received money? My LSAT and GPA are at the 75%ile, so I'm hoping for some aid.

Thanks!

I was told that Cornell has "relationships" with certain schools with respect to negotiating aid. So if one of those schools has offered you a good package, you can use it to negotiate with Cornell. But aid from schools that Cornell does not consider itself to have a relationship with won't get you anywhere in the bargaining process. I don't know all of the schools that Cornell has a "relationship" with, but I think Karla can tell what the story is on that. Think GULC, Michigan, etc...basically schools that many students who are offered spots at Cornell might be considering as well.
You just need to sit down with FA once you get your aid offer. You first need to actually apply for aid. I posted links to all the forms in an earlier post. Deadline for applying is March 15th. Get your taxes done and do your FAFSA, too.

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:27 am

kn6542 wrote:

Thanks!

I was told that Cornell has "relationships" with certain schools with respect to negotiating aid. So if one of those schools has offered you a good package, you can use it to negotiate with Cornell. But aid from schools that Cornell does not consider itself to have a relationship with won't get you anywhere in the bargaining process. I don't know all of the schools that Cornell has a "relationship" with, but I think Karla can tell what the story is on that. Think GULC, Michigan, etc...basically schools that many students who are offered spots at Cornell might be considering as well.
You just need to sit down with FA once you get your aid offer. You first need to actually apply for aid. I posted links to all the forms in an earlier post. Deadline for applying is March 15th. Get your taxes done and do your FAFSA, too.

what about UT?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:30 am

paraducks wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Thanks!

what about UT?

kn6542 wrote:I don't know all of the schools that Cornell has a "relationship" with, but I think Karla can tell what the story is on that.

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33 am

kn6542 wrote:
paraducks wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Thanks!

what about UT?

kn6542 wrote:I don't know all of the schools that Cornell has a "relationship" with, but I think Karla can tell what the story is on that.

who is Karla?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:38 am

paraducks wrote:
who is Karla?

Karla is the person you communicate with at the FA office. You need to apply by March 15th for ANY kind of aid. Like I said before, do your FAFSA, and send in your FA app, tax return, and gradplus app to the FA office. Once she gets all that you will be offered a package. You won't get anything unless you apply.

como

Postby como » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:25 pm

The deadline for institutional grants is March 15th. You apply for loans afterward.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:55 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
como wrote:The deadline for institutional grants is March 15th. You apply for loans afterward.

I already submitted the institutional grant stuff/FAFSA/NeedAccess. Don't we wait until we receive the award letter to apply for the loans? I assumed this, as this is how it was in undergrad, but I could be wrong.

Yeah.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 pm

mr.smurf wrote:Any guy Cornellians have a recommendation on good, solid boots to buy, as it seems pretty key?

I don't have real boots. I've been fine so far.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:39 pm

kn6542 wrote:

Thanks!

You keep saying that you need to apply for aid, but this isn't true. It is possible to get merit aid, without need-based aid. You can leverage scholarships with submitting FAFSA, etc.

Postby 18488 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:39 pm

mr.smurf wrote:Any guy Cornellians have a recommendation on good, solid boots to buy, as it seems pretty key?

I have a pair of waterproof Timberlands that've served me quite well.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:40 pm

who are you guys getting for slope day this year?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 pm

paraducks wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Thanks!

what about UT?

I think if you have enough from UT they'll throw you some. Like if you have a named scholarship upwards of 30k or something.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:50 pm

woeisme wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Thanks!

You keep saying that you need to apply for aid, but this isn't true. It is possible to get merit aid, without need-based aid. You can leverage scholarships with submitting FAFSA, etc.

Well, yeah if all you want is institutional grants you can skip the FAFSA, but you'd still have to submit an app.

mr.smurf

Postby mr.smurf » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:54 pm

sbrown83 wrote:

I have a pair of waterproof Timberlands that've served me quite well.

Nice, what kind ?

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 pm

here's a question for current students and admittees:

how many times have you been referred to as nard-dog?

3 or 4 times already for me.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:54 pm

paraducks wrote:here's a question for current students and admittees:

0 :?:

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:10 am

woeisme wrote:

see the office.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:12 pm

paraducks wrote:
woeisme wrote:

see the office.

Oh! Yeah, that figures. I should do that. :oops:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”