Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
guinness1547

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby guinness1547 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Beercules wrote:Anyone have any insight into ED, why it's being done, and what kind of boost it could have? I'm right at both medians as of now. Retook last Saturday, feeling pretty good about it. But if my stats remain the same, would it be wise to ED? Cornell is my top choice, cost not a factor.

I don't think there is a significant advantage between applying ED and just having and early application in for Cornell. But it's non-binding(still correct?) so you might as well.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Lavitz wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:1Ls: did they tell you when your practice exam is?

Yeah. Wednesday 10/23. 4:15-5:05.

Section B already had their practice exam, if for some reason you wanted to know.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:20 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
Beercules wrote:Anyone have any insight into ED, why it's being done, and what kind of boost it could have? I'm right at both medians as of now. Retook last Saturday, feeling pretty good about it. But if my stats remain the same, would it be wise to ED? Cornell is my top choice, cost not a factor.

I don't think there is a significant advantage between applying ED and just having and early application in for Cornell. But it's non-binding(still correct?) so you might as well.

No, there's a new binding ED option this cycle. No telling what effect it will have.

And if it's your top choice and cost is not a factor at all then yeah, I guess it makes sense to ED. You should be sure that's really what you want though.

It's probably being done because Cornell doesn't want its numbers to slide any more. Yield didn't seem too good last cycle either. At least a few people who were willing to pay sticker at first ended up getting off the WL at schools they didn't think they could get into. If we had ED last cycle, iMisto would be here right now. :lol: Part of the reason may be to lock down most of the people willing to pay sticker so they don't have to find replacements at the last minute again. Just my speculation.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:25 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Section B already had their practice exam, if for some reason you wanted to know.

How did that work? We just downloaded the software 2 days ago. Did Bowman just give you her own already?

I thought all the 1Ls were supposed to take one at the same time, we each get assigned a different exam from one of our profs, and we find out which subject we have the day before the exam.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 am

Lavitz wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

How did that work? We just downloaded the software 2 days ago. Did Bowman just give you her own already?

I thought all the 1Ls were supposed to take one at the same time, we each get assigned a different exam from one of our profs, and we find out which subject we have the day before the exam.

This is accurate, I find guinness' claim suspect.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:15 am

Lavitz wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Yes. Perhaps their small section prof gave them one independently? The practice exam is actually useful because you get individualized feedback on your exam (though how much depends on your professor). Also it's in exam 4 and feels like the real thing so you can get used to taking an exam in an interface straight out of 1994.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 am

Last edited by guinness1547 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:52 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
Yeah. It was through Exam 4 and some proctor came to help us.. Set up the software and took our own exam from Bowman during class last week. We were told it took the place of the regular 1L practice exam since it was the exact same thing we would have been doing anyway. The feedback we were told would be minimal. She went over some things the next day that we should have identified and basically said that if she read through our tests and it really, really looked like we were in trouble she'd let us know.

I speak only truth, Arbiter. It can be verified through any B section member.

Sounds legit.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
Yeah. It was through Exam 4 and some proctor came to help us.. Set up the software and took our own exam from Bowman during class last week. We were told it took the place of the regular 1L practice exam since it was the exact same thing we would have been doing anyway. The feedback we were told would be minimal. She went over some things the next day that we should have identified and basically said that if she read through our tests and it really, really looked like we were in trouble she'd let us know.

I speak only truth, Arbiter. It can be verified through any B section member.

Sounds legit.

Apparently this is true. I spoke to one such B sectioner today and was told this.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Is this Winter Break shadow program worth doing?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:32 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Is this Winter Break shadow program worth doing?

Might as well. I met a big law attorney in my secondary market. It only took a couple hours and may be useful for next year.

Eta: though I didn't actually shadow him. He said I probably wouldn't want to watch him write Rule 26 motions for two hours so we just got coffee and talked.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:58 pm

I shadowed a 2d Appellate Department judge, it was pretty cool.

spiritniffler189

Postby spiritniffler189 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:02 am

guinness1547 wrote:Is this Winter Break shadow program worth doing?

Yeah, although I found it valuable bc of the person I was paired with. I was paired w/ someone who worked at a firm I was really interested in, and made sure to keep in touch up til AJF. Helped me prepare for my screener w/ the firm too.

And didn't actually shadow either -- just had a nice lunch.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:35 pm

anyone ever heard of anyone getting the U in an S/U class? I'm trying to figure out how much effort I actually need to put in as we get closer to finals.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:45 pm

FlanAl wrote:anyone ever heard of anyone getting the U in an S/U class? I'm trying to figure out how much effort I actually need to put in as we get closer to finals.

I looked through the grade distrubtion books and saw that there were like 5 people in the last few years that got a U in all the classes combined. So maybe out of like 100 students 5 got a U. I'm a little worried about this one clase i'm pass failing.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
FlanAl wrote:anyone ever heard of anyone getting the U in an S/U class? I'm trying to figure out how much effort I actually need to put in as we get closer to finals.

I looked through the grade distrubtion books and saw that there were like 5 people in the last few years that got a U in all the classes combined. So maybe out of like 100 students 5 got a U. I'm a little worried about this one clase i'm pass failing.

A 3L got a U last spring, but he was allowed to retake the final so he could graduate. To get a U in a giant class like the one he was in you literally have to not know a single thing. Knowing the major general concepts is probably enough to get an S.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:49 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

A 3L got a U last spring, but he was allowed to retake the final so he could graduate. To get a U in a giant class like the one he was in you literally have to not know a single thing. Knowing the major general concepts is probably enough to get an S.

I'm S/Uing a seminar. My gut feeling is that as long as I hit the minimum page requirement for the paper I should be good but I'm starting to get a little worried. I also showed up and participated almost every class and have legit reasons for missing the ones that I missed.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm

FlanAl wrote:
BullShitWithBravado wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I'm S/Uing a seminar. My gut feeling is that as long as I hit the minimum page requirement for the paper I should be good but I'm starting to get a little worried. I also showed up and participated almost every class and have legit reasons for missing the ones that I missed.

Since you've been participating, you should really be fine as long as your paper topic somehow relates to what the class is about.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Last edited by guinness1547 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:54 am

guinness1547 wrote:Anyone have a Holden-Smith civ pro outline they'd be willing to send my way?

Won't help you much; it's closed book.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:46 am

Last edited by guinness1547 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:52 am

guinness1547 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Anyone have a Holden-Smith civ pro outline they'd be willing to send my way?

I know. It's going to be a super fun day.

Her multiple-choice questions are ridiculously hard, so don't get flustered if you feel like you can't answer the first five. That means nothing, and everyone around you feels the same way. Her essays tend to be kitchen-sink ones, so rather than go deep into a topic, you have to figure out how to be structured and discuss many concepts in a concise manner.

(I had BHS for second-semester civ pro and conflict of laws and did well in both classes.)

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:07 am

Lincoln wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Her multiple-choice questions are ridiculously hard, so don't get flustered if you feel like you can't answer the first five. That means nothing, and everyone around you feels the same way. Her essays tend to be kitchen-sink ones, so rather than go deep into a topic, you have to figure out how to be structured and discuss many concepts in a concise manner.

(I had BHS for second-semester civ pro and conflict of laws and did well in both classes.)

You did well in all your classes, bro-sky.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:12 am

guinness1547 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

You know that review session she has held? That is the closed universe of what will be tested. Study and know everything that was covered during the review. Forget everything else in the class.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 am

Arbiter213 wrote:You did well in all your classes, bro-sky.

There are some very notable exceptions.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”