Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gonewiththewind

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Why do people enjoy being mean-spirited? See Listserv Fiasco, (Cornell Law School 2013).

Snark is fun.

That was not all snark. And you didn't even get involved, Arbiter.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:33 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Why do people enjoy being mean-spirited? See Listserv Fiasco, (Cornell Law School 2013).

Snark is fun.

I never get involved.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Snark is fun.

I never get involved.

This is a good thing. You won't tarnish the high opinion I have of you.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Are you shocked that law students are unable to be decent human beings?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:03 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

Bet it was a 3L :D

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

It was a 3L. And yes, I'm shocked. The people in our year seem, for the most part, to be kind, helpful, and, when the situation calls for it, even generous.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:15 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:It was a 3L. And yes, I'm shocked. The people in our year seem, for the most part, to be kind, helpful, and, when the situation calls for it, even generous.

Yes, what an honorable designation: Class of 2015 is the least unlikeable.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:18 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:It was a 3L. And yes, I'm shocked. The people in our year seem, for the most part, to be kind, helpful, and, when the situation calls for it, even generous.

Questionable.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

Questionable.

lawstudentsaretheworst.jpg

There are always outliers.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:15 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Holden-Smith Civ Pro
Dorf Con Law
Hillman
Eagen
Bowman Torts

Perhaps some supplements to go along with it, haven't looked into that yet though.

Anyone have supplement advice for the bolded classes?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:31 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
Dorf Con Law
Hillman
Eagen
Bowman Torts

Perhaps some supplements to go along with it, haven't looked into that yet though.

Civ Pro: Get the Civ Pro E&E. More importantly, get the Glannon Civ Pro Multiple Choice Guide. H-S's exam is 2/3 MC, so doing practice MC questions is going to be very helpful for her exam (its still helpful for Clermont, but not quite as helpful, since his MC strategy is to obfuscate concepts beyond recognition). I would also maybe get Clermont's concise hornbook, but only if you are really struggling with the BLL in Civ Pro. The hornbook is not nearly as useful as Hillman's, and its very dense.

Torts: get the Torts E&E and thats it. Honestly, I rarely used supplements in torts. Out of all the 1L classes, Torts has the most straightforward BLL, which is what supplements are most useful for. What differentiates torts exams is how you apply the material on the exam. To that end, doing torts exams is the most helpful way to prepare for torts. The Torts E&E is mostly helpful for its exam taking advice (the chapter "Dandelions in the Bluebook Garden") and practice exam question which has a full answer (unlike most of the exams available online).

As a general aside, practice exams are crucial. Come November, you should be sitting down and taking practice exams under exam conditions (that is, without a break/looking at your phone/doing anything else for 4 hours) a couple times a week.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:30 pm

I hope there's more listserv drama soon. It was probably the most entertaining part of my day.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
Dorf Con Law
Hillman
Eagen
Bowman Torts

Civ Pro: Get the Civ Pro E&E. More importantly, get the Glannon Civ Pro Multiple Choice Guide. H-S's exam is 2/3 MC, so doing practice MC questions is going to be very helpful for her exam (its still helpful for Clermont, but not quite as helpful, since his MC strategy is to obfuscate concepts beyond recognition). I would also maybe get Clermont's concise hornbook, but only if you are really struggling with the BLL in Civ Pro. The hornbook is not nearly as useful as Hillman's, and its very dense.

Torts: get the Torts E&E and thats it. Honestly, I rarely used supplements in torts. Out of all the 1L classes, Torts has the most straightforward BLL, which is what supplements are most useful for. What differentiates torts exams is how you apply the material on the exam. To that end, doing torts exams is the most helpful way to prepare for torts. The Torts E&E is mostly helpful for its exam taking advice (the chapter "Dandelions in the Bluebook Garden") and practice exam question which has a full answer (unlike most of the exams available online).

As a general aside, practice exams are crucial. Come November, you should be sitting down and taking practice exams under exam conditions (that is, without a break/looking at your phone/doing anything else for 4 hours) a couple times a week.

Awesome thanks!

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

note that the only people being douchy on there are 2Ls. aside from the original post, mocking the genlteman requesting to rent a suit....

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:15 pm

clone22 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

note that the only people being douchy on there are 2Ls. aside from the original post, mocking the genlteman requesting to rent a suit....

I wasn't gonna call them out on it- it's cute when they act superior.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Last edited by hephaestus on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:04 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
clone22 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I wasn't gonna call them out on it- it's cute when they act superior.

I'm sorry, mocking the dude who made an honest request to rent a suit is completely dickish. Especially since all of us 2Ls know the guy who was asking to rent a suit, and he's a very nice guy.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:32 am

clone22 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

I didn't see any 2Ls being douchey- the 2L comments were to just call that guy out.

Not to say one thing or another about a class as a whole. I feel every year 3Ls feel they can be as snarky as they want.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Did ATL actually think the renting a suit email was real?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:27 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Did ATL actually think the renting a suit email was real?

Of course. It's ATL.

newbienew

Postby newbienew » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Was it not real? If not, what was the joke?

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:38 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Not to say one thing or another about a class as a whole. I feel every year 3Ls feel they can be as snarky as they want.

I don't think becoming a 3L makes anyone more snarky. People who are snarky in general and/or blast the listserve with obnoxious, insensitive comments usually have a history of acting that way that goes all the way back to 1L.

My favorite part of that whole thing was the Michael Jackson GIF. Literally almost LOLed in class.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:42 pm

newbienew wrote:

Was it not real? If not, what was the joke?

Originally a 2L sent a real e-mail on the listserv asking to borrow a black suit. That makes sense since you don't need a black suit for interviews or a job but you may need it for a wedding, funeral, etc.

Then after the graduation discussion started on the listserv, a 3L parodied that e-mail by pretending to need a suit for graduation.

BullShitWithBravado wrote:My favorite part of that whole thing was the Michael Jackson GIF. Literally almost LOLed in class.

Same.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:09 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

I like our class.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:31 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

I like our class.

Yes we are a great group of social defectives.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”