Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Will I be needing a clicker? I can't remember if that is for certain profs or if pretty much everyone will need them. If so, does anyone have one they'll be selling?

I think that's only if you have Clermont this semester, and you have BHS. But we'll have Clermont in the Spring so I guess you can buy one now.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:20 pm

you may need it for lawyering

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Looking to buy books! And a clicker (since I have Clermont)..

Heise (Torts)
Shiffrin (ConLaw)
Freed (Lawyering)
Clermont (CivPro)
Eisenberg (Contracts)

Feel free to PM me!

Also, any comments about professors or this schedule would be appreciated!

edit: The classes which are struck out I no longer need the text for. Would still appreciate stories about the professors :D
Last edited by toothbrush on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
highopes337
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby highopes337 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm section E...

Clermont (CivPro)
Dorf (ConLaw)
Hillman (Contracts)
Mooney (Lawyering)
Wendel (Torts)

Ditto on the rest of what Toothbrush said... :mrgreen:

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 pm

highopes337 wrote:I'm section E...

Clermont (CivPro)
Dorf (ConLaw)
Hillman (Contracts)
Mooney (Lawyering)
Wendel (Torts)

Ditto on the rest of what Toothbrush said... :mrgreen:

I had a couple of these professors for first semester last year.

Wendel: one of my favorite professors. Extremely approachable, answers questions in a detailed fashion on blackboard. There were no surpises with his exam. He is very straightforward and posts previous exam grading sheets and model answers. He cold calls, but isn't crazy about it. He was more than willing to stop grilling you if you were clueless, as long as it was clear you read. Reading was pretty light, 2-3 cases per night usually. No laptops in class. I wrote in my Casebook and found that to be effective, but YMMV.

Hillman: probably the most aggressive with cold calling from your list (and in general besides Holden Smith). He will call the same person or two people for an entire class. He has a strictly word limited exam that was half multiple choice. Buying his hornbook is key to doing well in his class. And take special note of cases. Out of all professors, he looks for the mention of specific case names on his exam. But wait to panic about that until Novemer. Last year Arbiter told us ITT that Hillman is the most "emblematic of Cornell" or something along those lines. I think that's a fair characterization.

Clermont: prepare to be confused. Many people do not like him, but I thought he was one of the best professors I had 1L. He knows everything about Civ Pro, and will soon prove it to you by having you read his extraordinarily confusing casebook. He does not cold call. At all. Well, he did once last year on a random day in November, causing considerable angst to the student he targeted. The key with Clermont is that many people stop reading since he doesn't cold call and the casebook is impermeable. Keep reading. His class culminates in an intentionally misleading and "hide the ball" multiple choice exam. As an example, one of the multiple choice questions required you to remember an off topic footnote in a 30 page reading assignment. So keep reading and pay close attention. NB: pay particular attention whenever he waxes poetically about a "gap in the rules" or "drafting error." Guaranteed MC question.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:27 pm

ImNoScar wrote: "emblematic of Cornell"

Mind elaborating on what that would mean exactly, besides referring to the way that professor itself is? Alternatively, what is Cornell's essence like? Sorry for an oddly worded question.
ImNoScar wrote:Clermont: prepare to be confused. Many people do not like him, but I thought he was one of the best professors I had 1L. He knows everything about Civ Pro, and will soon prove it to you by having you read his extraordinarily confusing casebook. He does not cold call. At all. Well, he did once last year on a random day in November, causing considerable angst to the student he targeted. The key with Clermont is that many people stop reading since he doesn't cold call and the casebook is impermeable. Keep reading. His class culminates in an intentionally misleading and "hide the ball" multiple choice exam. As an example, one of the multiple choice questions required you to remember an off topic footnote in a 30 page reading assignment. So keep reading and pay close attention. NB: pay particular attention whenever he waxes poetically about a "gap in the rules" or "drafting error." Guaranteed MC question.

This write up was both hilarious to me and helpful.


Thanks for posting (even if I only have Clermont) - I hope we can get more of these!

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:35 pm

toothbrush wrote:
ImNoScar wrote: "emblematic of Cornell"

Mind elaborating on what that would mean exactly, besides referring to the way that professor itself is? Alternatively, what is Cornell's essence like? Sorry for an oddly worded question.
ImNoScar wrote:Clermont: prepare to be confused. Many people do not like him, but I thought he was one of the best professors I had 1L. He knows everything about Civ Pro, and will soon prove it to you by having you read his extraordinarily confusing casebook. He does not cold call. At all. Well, he did once last year on a random day in November, causing considerable angst to the student he targeted. The key with Clermont is that many people stop reading since he doesn't cold call and the casebook is impermeable. Keep reading. His class culminates in an intentionally misleading and "hide the ball" multiple choice exam. As an example, one of the multiple choice questions required you to remember an off topic footnote in a 30 page reading assignment. So keep reading and pay close attention. NB: pay particular attention whenever he waxes poetically about a "gap in the rules" or "drafting error." Guaranteed MC question.

This write up was both hilarious to me and helpful.


Thanks for posting (even if I only have Clermont) - I hope we can get more of these!

Re: Hillman. He is very into Cornell, Ithaca and upstate New York. Before he was an academic, he worked in big law and seemed to have no fondness for NYC (and especially elevators, but I'm not sure why). He used to be the vice dean (or some other relatively high administrative position) so he's very plugged into what's going on at the law school. It's hard to describe until you meet him. Even if you don't have him first semester you may have him in the spring.

User avatar
highopes337
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby highopes337 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Beautiful, thanks IMNOSCAR!

User avatar
BullShitWithBravado
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
ImNoScar wrote: "emblematic of Cornell"

Mind elaborating on what that would mean exactly, besides referring to the way that professor itself is? Alternatively, what is Cornell's essence like? Sorry for an oddly worded question.
ImNoScar wrote:Clermont: prepare to be confused. Many people do not like him, but I thought he was one of the best professors I had 1L. He knows everything about Civ Pro, and will soon prove it to you by having you read his extraordinarily confusing casebook. He does not cold call. At all. Well, he did once last year on a random day in November, causing considerable angst to the student he targeted. The key with Clermont is that many people stop reading since he doesn't cold call and the casebook is impermeable. Keep reading. His class culminates in an intentionally misleading and "hide the ball" multiple choice exam. As an example, one of the multiple choice questions required you to remember an off topic footnote in a 30 page reading assignment. So keep reading and pay close attention. NB: pay particular attention whenever he waxes poetically about a "gap in the rules" or "drafting error." Guaranteed MC question.

This write up was both hilarious to me and helpful.


Thanks for posting (even if I only have Clermont) - I hope we can get more of these!

Re: Hillman. He is very into Cornell, Ithaca and upstate New York. Before he was an academic, he worked in big law and seemed to have no fondness for NYC (and especially elevators, but I'm not sure why). He used to be the vice dean (or some other relatively high administrative position) so he's very plugged into what's going on at the law school. It's hard to describe until you meet him. Even if you don't have him first semester you may have him in the spring.


Rumor is that Hillman graduated with a 4.3 GPA, or at least the highest GPA EVER given, from Cornell Law. Not sure if it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised either. Also, if I remember correctly, one of his favorite cases took place in the Ithaca area. It's a covenant not to compete case. . .Ignasi something?

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:49 pm

^ yes but that doesn't come up until the second semester.

I also did hear about the legendary GPA. Not confirmed. That he did Clermont's prenup that resulted in Clermont v. Clermont, pretty common knowledge.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 pm

I want to read Getting to Maybe but don't want to spend 20 bucks. Does anyone have a copy I can borrow, or that I can buy off them used ? I imagine 2L / 3L's don't need it anymore ?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:49 am

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:^ yes but that doesn't come up until the second semester.

I also did hear about the legendary GPA. Not confirmed. That he did Clermont's prenup that resulted in Clermont v. Clermont, pretty common knowledge.


Last year's valedictorian shattered the school GPA record, supposedly, so I dunno about that. But Hillman definitely had a high GPA.

comeonletsgo
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:20 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby comeonletsgo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:11 pm

still looking for books if anyone is trying to get rid of theirs!

Holden-Smith
Rana
Heise
Atlas
Eisenberg

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Bumping this:
Lavitz wrote:a friend who just graduated law school gave me Gilbert's law summaries for CivPro and Contracts; would these be useful in any way for these classes?

Also, for supplements, I'm guessing Hillman's hornbook for Eisenberg and Chemerinsky for Rana?

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Lavitz wrote:Bumping this:
Lavitz wrote:a friend who just graduated law school gave me Gilbert's law summaries for CivPro and Contracts; would these be useful in any way for these classes?

Also, for supplements, I'm guessing Hillman's hornbook for Eisenberg and Chemerinsky for Rana?

I've read that Chemerinsky is the golden universal supp. (?)

Also, did most of you current students use supplements? If so, was that right away or when things got tougher you sought them out ?

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:49 pm

I used supps but mostly toward the end of each semester.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby spiritniffler189 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:16 am

toothbrush wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Bumping this:
Lavitz wrote:a friend who just graduated law school gave me Gilbert's law summaries for CivPro and Contracts; would these be useful in any way for these classes?

Also, for supplements, I'm guessing Hillman's hornbook for Eisenberg and Chemerinsky for Rana?

I've read that Chemerinsky is the golden universal supp. (?)

Also, did most of you current students use supplements? If so, was that right away or when things got tougher you sought them out ?


It depends on the person/class. For Hillman, I think reading the hornbook as you go is helpful. Some of the hypos he uses in class (and jokes) are directly from the hornbook. But you don't need any supplements right away -- you can definitely wait until you're on the listserv on Monday (assuming you'll all be on then). Glannon for Civ Pro is helpful but no one starts to understand Civ Pro until fall break anyways, so no rush (w/ Clermont at least).

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 am

spiritniffler189 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Bumping this:
Lavitz wrote:a friend who just graduated law school gave me Gilbert's law summaries for CivPro and Contracts; would these be useful in any way for these classes?

Also, for supplements, I'm guessing Hillman's hornbook for Eisenberg and Chemerinsky for Rana?

I've read that Chemerinsky is the golden universal supp. (?)

Also, did most of you current students use supplements? If so, was that right away or when things got tougher you sought them out ?


It depends on the person/class. For Hillman, I think reading the hornbook as you go is helpful. Some of the hypos he uses in class (and jokes) are directly from the hornbook. But you don't need any supplements right away -- you can definitely wait until you're on the listserv on Monday (assuming you'll all be on then). Glannon for Civ Pro is helpful but no one starts to understand Civ Pro until fall break anyways, so no rush (w/ Clermont at least).


I know I've said it before, but the civ pro lecture video you get with the other materials free from BarBri when you put down your deposit is a godsend.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:40 am

Arbiter213 wrote:I know I've said it before, but the civ pro lecture video you get with the other materials free from BarBri when you put down your deposit is a godsend.

Got it. Will be signing up.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:41 am

Lavitz wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I know I've said it before, but the civ pro lecture video you get with the other materials free from BarBri when you put down your deposit is a godsend.

Got it. Will be signing up.

How much is the deposit ?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:58 am

toothbrush wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I know I've said it before, but the civ pro lecture video you get with the other materials free from BarBri when you put down your deposit is a godsend.

Got it. Will be signing up.

How much is the deposit ?

I believe you have to pay $50 when you sign up, and then another $200 in 2L.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 am

Lavitz wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I know I've said it before, but the civ pro lecture video you get with the other materials free from BarBri when you put down your deposit is a godsend.

Got it. Will be signing up.

How much is the deposit ?

I believe you have to pay $50 when you sign up, and then another $200 in 2L.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


That's accurate, though sometimes they have a special where it's $20 as a 1L, then $230 as a 2L. That's all a deposit you get back when you return your bar study books after the bar, though.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:28 am

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:I used supps but mostly toward the end of each semester.

Yeah I wouldn't use them right away. There's something legitimately helpful about struggling with a subject for a while.

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 am

arbiter the #1 barbri rep

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:22 am

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:arbiter the #1 barbri rep


Shhhh.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], WhiskeynCoke and 3 guests