Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mr.smurf

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mr.smurf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:27 am

LeahNic wrote:
mr.smurf wrote:+1 On the whether you can park @ Hughes question. It seems the consensus is that having a car in Ithaca is not necessary, but much more convenient ?

My friend at Hughes says that you get a parking permit and there is a lot about a block or so away from Hughes that you get a space in. He said it's a little farther from the law school than he anticipated but not too bad.

edit: for terrible grammar.

Thanks. Doesn't sound too bad.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 am

neskerdoo wrote:besides the movies at the mall, I would like to plug the little arthouse at which I recently saw the awesometacular Let the Right One In... and at what schools must one "dress to the nines"? Speaking of the Nines, that is a tasty food joint here...

You guys are lucky that you get to experience the new theater. The old movie theater (also at the same mall) sucked. The Nines is awesome....great deep dish pizza. Unfortunately, they're also ridiculously slow and occasionally charge you cover for bands that have no business charging cover.

TammyG

Postby TammyG » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 am

TammyG wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for taking questions.

I'm very passionate about feminism and hope to work for a non-profit women's organization or governmental organization. I'm very interested in Feminist Jurisprudence and Legal Theories classes. Is there a concentration in Feminist Jurisprudence available at Cornell? In the viewbook I received there was mention of a clinic focused on Women and the Law which seemed right up my alley - is this clinic still in existence and how is the Gender and the Law Journal?

Thanks.

Reasking now that the fashion discussion has died down :)

hieveryone

Postby hieveryone » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:52 am

TopLaw_Diva wrote:
hieveryone wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
Thanks I really appreciate it...I am already nervous and scared about moving all the way across the country to a small town with extremely cold weather...I used to say that I wanted something different and boy did I get it...No more flip flops for me..LOL!!

Hah I definitely feel where you're coming from. I'm from the LA area and I'm definitely a little bit apprehensive about living in Ithaca for a couple of years. But I figure that 1)How fun a place is is dependent on the people. So hopefully Cornell has that covered. and 2) It's only 3 years and hell, maybe we'll love the place. Or worse case scenario, we'll just really appreciate So-cal when we get back.

I sure hope your right...I guess we will actually have a reason to wear Uggs (sans the obligatory shorts)...lol!!!

er....I'm a guy. :lol:

kurthectic

Postby kurthectic » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:07 am

How supportive is the community there of people who want to do public interest law? I'm afraid that the career office will focus their attention/resources on helping people with BigLaw pursuits and would prefer not to get sucked in. I talked to a friend who graduated from Cornell Law a few years ago and said that they really pushed their students to go into private firms-- she had a hard time with that. Any stories to share about this?

hopingtogo

Postby hopingtogo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:46 am

kn6542 wrote:
LeahNic wrote:
paraducks wrote:
paraducks wrote:any recommendations regarding housing? i was thinking that living in hughes (or whatever it's called) seemed like a good way to meet people, but am open to anything. pros/cons?

bump this question.

I think it is a good way to meet people, you just give up a little in terms of privacy. Personally, I kind of wanted to live away from campus because I wanted a separate life, but I think most ppl like Hughes and enjoy the proximity.

"So far as I know, I have not contracted rabies or herpes from the (Hughes) kitchen."
-Sbrown.

hth

So does this mean that there is one kitchen that all the residents in Hughes Hall share? How do 55+ students share one kitchen? This might sound like a frivolous question but as one who enjoys cooking and personal space while cooking it's definitely something I would like to know about beforehand. I like the idea of living at Hughes but I'm not too sure about how the kitchen situation pans out...

Also, for those who are concerned about the shopping options, I will be taking my car with me to Ithaca, and I would be willing to drive to Syracuse or elsewhere during some weekends so we can go shopping!

YellowRose

Postby YellowRose » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:12 am

Do any of you have a dog? I have a medium sized dog (35lbs). I am concerned with housing answers, not time management answers. The dog is coming to law school - no questions there. She's the only thing that will keep me sane, but would it be possible to live somewhere with a yard? Are there little 2 bedroom houses for rent in Ithaca? For anyone that does have a dog, I'm assuming walking your dog at 7am in 10 degree weather isn't very pleasant? I'll have a car, so I guess I wouldn't mind living a little ways away from campus.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm

como wrote:I would be happy to show any of my future classmates around the 'cuse. I was born and raised in Syracuse, and I'm living here right now. The mall is a little overrated, but they have a few staple stores. There is a Lord & Taylor, which carries some of your slightly more stylish stuff. I think they have BCBG and Coach and Bebe and stuff. I don't know too much about women's clothing.

There are quite a few boutiques downtown that have some more fresh stuff, and there is a pretty decent little store off the SU campus that sells the seven, true religion, diesel type stuff.

And an apple store! Important for computer malfunctions. I'm headed to the apple store at carousel tonight because my macbook has been sounding like a helecopter preparing for takeoff.

And by the by, for those of us who grew up thinking that the mall in Utica was the be all and end all of shopping, Carousel is a magical and terrifying place.

hopingtogo

Postby hopingtogo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 pm

YellowRose wrote:Do any of you have a dog? I have a medium sized dog (35lbs). I am concerned with housing answers, not time management answers. The dog is coming to law school - no questions there. She's the only thing that will keep me sane, but would it be possible to live somewhere with a yard? Are there little 2 bedroom houses for rent in Ithaca? For anyone that does have a dog, I'm assuming walking your dog at 7am in 10 degree weather isn't very pleasant? I'll have a car, so I guess I wouldn't mind living a little ways away from campus.

Your dog is adorable! I really wish I could take my dogs with me to law school, but they are the family dogs, and everybody else would miss them. I also have a parrot but I don't know how he would fare in the cold weather in Ithaca...

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:06 pm

YellowRose wrote:Do any of you have a dog? I have a medium sized dog (35lbs). I am concerned with housing answers, not time management answers. The dog is coming to law school - no questions there. She's the only thing that will keep me sane, but would it be possible to live somewhere with a yard? Are there little 2 bedroom houses for rent in Ithaca? For anyone that does have a dog, I'm assuming walking your dog at 7am in 10 degree weather isn't very pleasant? I'll have a car, so I guess I wouldn't mind living a little ways away from campus.

There are a few places I would look. Off the bat, my old apartment complex Summerhill Plaza allowed dogs up to a certain size. The apartment is around a 5 minute bus ride/drive to the law school.
http://www.ithacahome.com/index.htm

The apartments/houses in collegetown aren't particularly dog friendly, but you might look into a house downtown.

When I was still in Ithaca and I was looking to sublet out my apartment, I had a lot of luck with this website. http://www.housingsolutions.com/ I think it's the most popular online apartment finding tool for Ithaca. Ithaca also has some physical rental offices that cater to students (mostly in collegetown) although I've never used them.

Good luck!

hokoelc

Postby hokoelc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:45 am

How much free time do you have as a IL? I was planning on joining Cornell's competitive ballroom dance team. Would that be mad?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:00 am

hokoelc wrote:How much free time do you have as a IL? I was planning on joining Cornell's competitive ballroom dance team. Would that be mad?

It would depend a bit on what your goals are. If you want to make top 10%, I wouldn't plan on spending a lot of time on extra-curriculars. If you have ambitions to join a lot of clubs and stuff you might not have time to spend doing even more than that with a dance team. Just kinda depends on what else you want going on in your life.
There isn't a lot of free time. I feel lucky to get a full night's sleep, and I take off every Friday after classes are over and just don't do anything law related for the rest of the day. That's about all I feel comfortable affording myself. However, I also know that I require an unusual amount of solitude, so spending all my free time doing social stuff would probably just send me over the edge. The upshot being, choose what is most important to you to spend your free time on, because you won't have time for very much. That's probably not a very informative answer, though. Kinda a no brainer.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 pm

hokoelc wrote:How much free time do you have as a IL? I was planning on joining Cornell's competitive ballroom dance team. Would that be mad?

I have a pretty good amount of free time. Last semester I took off every Friday after class and all day Saturday. If it's something that is important to you-- then go for it. But there are tons of law related clubs to join as well.

If it's just something you think would be cool-- I would wait on doing something like that.

como

Postby como » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:11 pm

What are the best clubs to join. Anyone want to take the chance to do some recruiting?

hokoelc

Postby hokoelc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 pm

thanks! it's something i'm rather committed to, so we'll see. your responses are a great help.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:43 pm

kurthectic wrote:How supportive is the community there of people who want to do public interest law? I'm afraid that the career office will focus their attention/resources on helping people with BigLaw pursuits and would prefer not to get sucked in. I talked to a friend who graduated from Cornell Law a few years ago and said that they really pushed their students to go into private firms-- she had a hard time with that. Any stories to share about this?

We have a dean that is dedicated to helping those students that want to go into public interest. I think that it's not that private firms are pushed, it's just that you see all your friends getting these big jobs with tons of money, and they know where they will be working after graduation by the end of their 2L summer. Meanwhile, you make no money, and you may not know about a job till right at the time you graduate. It's easy to feel like no one else is doing it or to panic cause your life isn't planned out yet.

I'm going into public interest as it stands now. I'm not too worried about it at all.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 pm

I have a dog that is about 10 lbs. We ended up buying our place cause not that many places that we liked allowed dogs. The farther from campus you get the better luck you will have with that. I found a 2 bdrm house for rent that we looked at about 1.5 miles from campus that was $950 a month and allowed dogs. But, the bus system was inconvenient to it, so we didnt end up renting.

I dont walk my dog in the morning-- she runs outside and uses the bathroom and darts back upstairs. She thinks cold weather shouldnt happen.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:52 pm

como wrote:What are the best clubs to join. Anyone want to take the chance to do some recruiting?

Gosh, I think you'd have to take the opportunity to tell us a little about yourself first.

mr.smurf

Postby mr.smurf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:40 am

Any guy Cornellians have a recommendation on good, solid boots to buy, as it seems pretty key?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:24 am

mr.smurf wrote:Any guy Cornellians have a recommendation on good, solid boots to buy, as it seems pretty key?

Kinda depends. Are you male or female and would you ever be caught dead in a pair of Uggs?

como

Postby como » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 am

I don't think you can go wrong with a simple pair like this:

--LinkRemoved--

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:27 pm

jxk wrote: if you really want to shop and you have a car, you can drive to syracuse, which is only about an hour and a half away and go to the carousel mall, which is much better than pyramid mall. it has h&m, banana republic, j crew and a bunch of other stores..

Be careful with that. Isn't Banana Republic just for poor people?

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:39 pm

kn, you shouldn't make in-jokes online. People might not get it.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:47 pm

fsohn wrote:kn, you shouldn't make in-jokes online. People might not get it.

I'm not joking. I think it's an important consideration.

JJim1919

Postby JJim1919 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:24 am

Does anyone know if Cornell gives merit aid? I was accepted but saw no mention of it. Will it come at a later date?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”