Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby spiritniffler189 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:28 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:I'm also looking to buy books for the following professors. Also, any opinions or supplement suggestions would be nice.

Smith
Heise
Holden-Smith
Eisenberg
Chafetz


Chafetz and HS are great...


I have Chafetz for my seminar is he really that good?


He is a great professor, and definitely 1 of my favorites from 1L. He's extremely smart and takes a lot of time to work with students, and just a v. nice and fun prof overall. I heard that the seminar is the densest 2 hours you'll have in the wk, but it's interesting (am on the waitlist).

User avatar
gonewiththewind
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 am

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
oldad wrote:Dear those in Clermont's section,

Sibbach faces a dilemma.

Best of luck.


And her dilemma is now yours.


I laughed out loud. I remember poor Mrs. Sibbach and her unfortunate dilemma especially well. I also remember Clermont disabusing me of any naive notions of understanding civil procedure.

Also, for anyone with BHS, get ready for some serious cold calling. You will be shaking in your metaphorical boots the first couple of weeks.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:I'm also looking to buy books for the following professors. Also, any opinions or supplement suggestions would be nice.

Smith
Heise
Holden-Smith
Eisenberg
Chafetz


Chafetz and HS are great...


I have Chafetz for my seminar is he really that good?


He is a great professor, and definitely 1 of my favorites from 1L. He's extremely smart and takes a lot of time to work with students, and just a v. nice and fun prof overall. I heard that the seminar is the densest 2 hours you'll have in the wk, but it's interesting (am on the waitlist).


That seminar was rough, I dropped it after 1 class.

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:01 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:Also, for anyone with BHS, get ready for some serious cold calling. You will be shaking in your metaphorical boots the first couple of weeks.


Or for the rest of your life. Met some CLS alums recently who're still in shock.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
That seminar was rough, I dropped it after 1 class.


Why was it just boring or did you not think that you were going to do well in the class?

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oldad » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
That seminar was rough, I dropped it after 1 class.


Why was it just boring or did you not think that you were going to do well in the class?


For Con Law, he was a solid 30-40 pages per night...with no signs of slowing down.

User avatar
BullShitWithBravado
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:45 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Also, for anyone with BHS, get ready for some serious cold calling. You will be shaking in your metaphorical boots the first couple of weeks.


Or for the rest of your life. Met some CLS alums recently who're still in shock.


Babsey can be intimidating, but she's really a sweet when you get to know her. Just do your reading and you'll be fine. You can go up to her after class and ask her questions if you want to see how nice she is. I liked her waaaaaay better than Clermont because I actually learned things in her class.

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:13 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Also, for anyone with BHS, get ready for some serious cold calling. You will be shaking in your metaphorical boots the first couple of weeks.


Or for the rest of your life. Met some CLS alums recently who're still in shock.


Babsey can be intimidating, but she's really a sweet when you get to know her. Just do your reading and you'll be fine. You can go up to her after class and ask her questions if you want to see how nice she is. I liked her waaaaaay better than Clermont because I actually learned things in her class.


oh dont get me wrong i liked bhs and her style too. learned shitload. but the typos in her exams made me sad :(

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oldad » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:27 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
BullShitWithBravado wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Also, for anyone with BHS, get ready for some serious cold calling. You will be shaking in your metaphorical boots the first couple of weeks.


Or for the rest of your life. Met some CLS alums recently who're still in shock.


Babsey can be intimidating, but she's really a sweet when you get to know her. Just do your reading and you'll be fine. You can go up to her after class and ask her questions if you want to see how nice she is. I liked her waaaaaay better than Clermont because I actually learned things in her class.


oh dont get me wrong i liked bhs and her style too. learned shitload. but the typos in her exams made me sad :(


Typos were mad bad.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:30 pm

This is all helpful advice.

It'll be nice when we get our final section assignments...on Monday. :roll:

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Lavitz wrote:This is all helpful advice.

It'll be nice when we get our final section assignments...on Monday. :roll:

Yeah, was just thinking that. Looks like the day is over for assignments today.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
That seminar was rough, I dropped it after 1 class.


Why was it just boring or did you not think that you were going to do well in the class?


Both- extremely dry, and full of people that I didn't feel like being on the same 15 person curve as.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
That seminar was rough, I dropped it after 1 class.


Why was it just boring or did you not think that you were going to do well in the class?


Both- extremely dry, and full of people that I didn't feel like being on the same 15 person curve as.


Thanks man.

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oldad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:52 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
That seminar was rough, I dropped it after 1 class.


Why was it just boring or did you not think that you were going to do well in the class?


Both- extremely dry, and full of people that I didn't feel like being on the same 15 person curve as.


Thanks man.


Lacepiece wants the 15 person curve...he's gunning in the RR already.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:03 am

oldad wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Lacepiece wants the 15 person curve...he's gunning in the RR already.


Haha yeah dude. Its funny I'm so outted on TLS that 1Ls call me by my TLS name IRL. Might be time to make a new account.

But then again I don't want to lose these 412 posts that I've worked so hard to accumulate.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:Its funny I'm so outted on TLS that 1Ls call me by my TLS name IRL.

They've been doing that to me since ASW.

"Can I just call you Lavitz? It sounds so much cooler than [actual name]." :|

I'm just going to call you by your last name.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
oldad wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Lacepiece wants the 15 person curve...he's gunning in the RR already.


Haha yeah dude. Its funny I'm so outted on TLS that 1Ls call me by my TLS name IRL. Might be time to make a new account.

But then again I don't want to lose these 412 posts that I've worked so hard to accumulate.


Dude, why do you think I'm still using this handle?

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:10 pm

oldad wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:oh dont get me wrong i liked bhs and her style too. learned shitload. but the typos in her exams made me sad :(


Typos were mad bad.

Not quite as bad as Rac's "Paul Plaintiff and Deborah Defendant" mix up.

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oldad » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 am

ImNoScar wrote:
oldad wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:oh dont get me wrong i liked bhs and her style too. learned shitload. but the typos in her exams made me sad :(


Typos were mad bad.

Not quite as bad as Rac's "Paul Plaintiff and Deborah Defendant" mix up.


Cool story, Rach City.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:46 am

Bumping this because my section stayed the same:
Lavitz wrote:Need opinions on profs and any supplement suggestions for them:

Holden-Smith
Rana
Eisenberg
Heise
Atlas

Also, I'm looking to buy the following books:

Civil Procedure - Materials for a Basic Course Concise Edition by Field, 10th Edition
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 2013 by Clermont, 2013 Edition (is this a new edition?)
Processes of Constitutional Decision Making by Brest, 5th Edition
Contract and Related Obligation: Theory, Doctrine, and Practice by Summers, 6th Edition
Legal Reasoning and Legal Writing: Structure, Strategy, and Style by Neumann, 7th Edition
Plain English for Lawyers by Wydick, 5th Edition
The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation, 19th Edition
Cases and Materials on Torts by Epstein, 10th Edition

PM me if you're looking to sell. Otherwise I'll find them when I get up there. Thanks!

A related question: a friend who just graduated law school gave me a bunch of these Gilbert's law summaries; would these be useful in any way for these classes?

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 am

guinness1547 wrote:Holden-Smith
Dorf
Hillman
Eagen
Bowman

Perhaps some supplements to go along with it, haven't looked into that yet though.



My section stayed the same. Looking for books to be bought.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby spiritniffler189 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:30 am

Any thoughts on Crim Pro w/ Blume or Int'l Commercial Arbitration w/ Barcelo?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:35 am

spiritniffler189 wrote:Any thoughts on Crim Pro w/ Blume or Int'l Commercial Arbitration w/ Barcelo?


Both great, useful for totally different things. Barcelo's class is a pre-req for making the Vis Moot team, if that was a thought.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 am

Will I be needing a clicker? I can't remember if that is for certain profs or if pretty much everyone will need them. If so, does anyone have one they'll be selling?

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:02 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Will I be needing a clicker? I can't remember if that is for certain profs or if pretty much everyone will need them. If so, does anyone have one they'll be selling?

I'll sell you mine. PM me if you're interested.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests