Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:23 am

gonewiththewind wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Arbiter or whoever's not a rising 2L - -

In your year, were the people who struck out clearly because they couldn't interview to save their lives, or do you think it was more GPA-oriented than anything (as in, even the awkward-as-fuck people got offers if their GPA was high enough)?


Or was it Law Review or bust?


It was not this, in any case.

I know people with above median GPAs who struck out, and I know people with bad GPAs who did extremely well for themselves.


All about fit and how much they like you, then? Must've been Lincoln's year with the LR or bust stigma.


I'm pretty sure that in my year offers were more distributed than in Arbiter's. I am gonna be a bit more contentious than the rest and say that for many people who struck out I was not surprised. Interviewing skills matter A LOT. That being said, there are definitely some who just got unlucky or had a bad day, and grades always matter.

User avatar
gonewiththewind
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:59 am

Lincoln wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Arbiter or whoever's not a rising 2L - -

In your year, were the people who struck out clearly because they couldn't interview to save their lives, or do you think it was more GPA-oriented than anything (as in, even the awkward-as-fuck people got offers if their GPA was high enough)?


Or was it Law Review or bust?


All about fit and how much they like you, then? Must've been Lincoln's year with the LR or bust stigma.


I'm pretty sure that in my year offers were more distributed than in Arbiter's. I am gonna be a bit more contentious than the rest and say that for many people who struck out I was not surprised. Interviewing skills matter A LOT. That being said, there are definitely some who just got unlucky or had a bad day, and grades always matter.


Putting the fear of God into me, Lincoln.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:01 am

gonewiththewind wrote:Putting the fear of God into me, Lincoln.


All of those I know who struck out eventually got jobs. They just had to hustle more. Plus, having people at the bottom of the class get Big Law should be encouraging to everyone.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:06 am

Lincoln wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Putting the fear of God into me, Lincoln.


All of those I know who struck out eventually got jobs. They just had to hustle more. Plus, having people at the bottom of the class get Big Law should be encouraging to everyone.


Good advice all around, but shouldn't you be very intoxicated right now?

User avatar
gonewiththewind
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Putting the fear of God into me, Lincoln.


All of those I know who struck out eventually got jobs. They just had to hustle more. Plus, having people at the bottom of the class get Big Law should be encouraging to everyone.


Good advice all around, but shouldn't you be very intoxicated right now?


This. You just finished the bar!

jwD13
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby jwD13 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 am

gonewiththewind wrote:
jwD13 wrote:signed up today for a couple firms at AJF that I had bid high but missed out on... one of them is directly after another interview I already have scheduled. Anybody know how late i'll probably be to the back-end of the back-to-back or is this pretty common/doable?


Ask Career Services. Normally that's a schedule conflict, so make sure that they say you have enough time.



thanks... career services says it's up to you if you want to sign up for adjacent slots or not. I guess I was wondering if anyone has done it before since I already signed up for it and if i should expect it to be an issue.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:47 am

jwD13 wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:
jwD13 wrote:signed up today for a couple firms at AJF that I had bid high but missed out on... one of them is directly after another interview I already have scheduled. Anybody know how late i'll probably be to the back-end of the back-to-back or is this pretty common/doable?


Ask Career Services. Normally that's a schedule conflict, so make sure that they say you have enough time.



thanks... career services says it's up to you if you want to sign up for adjacent slots or not. I guess I was wondering if anyone has done it before since I already signed up for it and if i should expect it to be an issue.


I just mentioned it to my interviewer on the front end and they usually were fine about letting me out a minute early. I had one interview crammed between two others in a 15 minute break.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Putting the fear of God into me, Lincoln.


All of those I know who struck out eventually got jobs. They just had to hustle more. Plus, having people at the bottom of the class get Big Law should be encouraging to everyone.


Good advice all around, but shouldn't you be very intoxicated right now?

I consumed a few adult beverages last night, but we were all tired as hell. Also, I woke up at 8. Apparently my body thinks I should keep studying.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 pm

any upper classmen have any "cheat-sheets" for firms that they are willing to share. Like a word doc or excel with a few points that they used in the past that lists highlights of the firm that you mentioned on your interview are listed? If anyone is willing to PM me anything they got that would be super appreciated

User avatar
gonewiththewind
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:01 pm

redsox550 wrote:any upper classmen have any "cheat-sheets" for firms that they are willing to share. Like a word doc or excel with a few points that they used in the past that lists highlights of the firm that you mentioned on your interview are listed? If anyone is willing to PM me anything they got that would be super appreciated


This. I've been doing some painstakingly laborious research, and reached out to some people, but if anyone's got some great info here, I would be over the moon.

User avatar
oliverlovesyou
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oliverlovesyou » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:39 pm

When are class schedules happening?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:59 pm

oliverlovesyou wrote:When are class schedules happening?


Soon.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:31 am

1. Cornell is pretty shitty with removing my interview slots, I called and emailed multiple times to let them know im transffering and to take away my slots bc i dont want to double dip and they didnt do it for weeks for some strange reason. I know they havnt been this bad with some of my friends who transffered but they should really be more proactive for your guys sake

2. Called again today and Finnaly they did (within the hour) so Im guessing spots just opened up, GO CHECK SYMPLICITY if you want to add more firms!!!!!

Best of luck

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 pm

has anyone had luck emailing firms outside of ajf but in nyc

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby muddup » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:08 am

Ya I heard friend got some screeners and CB already. Not a surprise. Depends on your secondary market.

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:23 am

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:has anyone had luck emailing firms outside of ajf but in nyc

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:54 am

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:has anyone had luck emailing firms outside of ajf but in nyc

Yes, got two CBs in NY.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 am

ImNoScar wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:has anyone had luck emailing firms outside of ajf but in nyc

Yes, got two CBs in NY.


:pewpew:

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:02 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:has anyone had luck emailing firms outside of ajf but in nyc

Yes, got two CBs in NY.


:pewpew:

?

User avatar
LFH_intheflesh
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LFH_intheflesh » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:56 am

he's calling you a gunner. see it's ironic because

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:23 pm

well played.

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:52 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:has anyone had luck emailing firms outside of ajf but in nyc

Yes, got two CBs in NY.


I have a pretty solid idea of who you are irl and now I like you less.

jk bro congrats

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:has anyone had luck emailing firms outside of ajf but in nyc

Yes, got two CBs in NY.


I have a pretty solid idea of who you are irl and now I like you less.

jk bro congrats

No idea who you are but I appreciate your (faux?) hostility.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:26 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:he's calling you a gunner. see it's ironic because

:lol:

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Good luck to everyone participating in AJF tomorrow!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests