Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:27 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:ruggedly handsome and/or blindingly gorgeous partners


You sure this wasn't meant for DPW?


Or Paul, Weiss.


I've been to Paul, Weiss's big summer party at MoMa. Meh.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:54 am

Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:ruggedly handsome and/or blindingly gorgeous partners


You sure this wasn't meant for DPW?


Or Paul, Weiss.


I've been to Paul, Weiss's big summer party at MoMa. Meh.


I'm going to miss having you around so much. Haha.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby spiritniffler189 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Does anyone know the dates of the journal orientations?

I remember they gave us the dates in the writing competition packet, but pretty sure I threw it out.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:49 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:Does anyone know the dates of the journal orientations?

I remember they gave us the dates in the writing competition packet, but pretty sure I threw it out.

They didn't tell you in the journal offer email? It should be part of the materials.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby spiritniffler189 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:09 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:Does anyone know the dates of the journal orientations?

I remember they gave us the dates in the writing competition packet, but pretty sure I threw it out.

They didn't tell you in the journal offer email? It should be part of the materials.


No, just checked. But I also was interested in all of the journal orientation dates, not just for the one I'm on. Thanks though.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:20 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:Does anyone know the dates of the journal orientations?

I remember they gave us the dates in the writing competition packet, but pretty sure I threw it out.

They didn't tell you in the journal offer email? It should be part of the materials.


No, just checked. But I also was interested in all of the journal orientation dates, not just for the one I'm on. Thanks though.

LR is the 24/25, not sure about the other two.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:25 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:Does anyone know the dates of the journal orientations?

I remember they gave us the dates in the writing competition packet, but pretty sure I threw it out.


Email Sue Pado, the administrative assistant for the journals, at sgp6.

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Random question regarding something I don't really have to worry about for a while:

What do 3Ls do after taking the July bar, before they start work?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:57 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Random question regarding something I don't really have to worry about for a while:

What do 3Ls do after taking the July bar, before they start work?


It's called a Bar Trip.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Random question regarding something I don't really have to worry about for a while:

What do 3Ls do after taking the July bar, before they start work?


It's called a Bar Trip.


And it's gonna be glorious.

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oldad » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 am

Any movement on Honors Fellows stuff?

I know someone said the last group found out just before AJF, but I'm still curious.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:54 am

oldad wrote:Any movement on Honors Fellows stuff?

I know someone said the last group found out just before AJF, but I'm still curious.


I haven't heard anything. I know someone who was offered a spot for the LLM class, but they pick those first.

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oldad » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:13 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
oldad wrote:Any movement on Honors Fellows stuff?

I know someone said the last group found out just before AJF, but I'm still curious.


I haven't heard anything. I know someone who was offered a spot for the LLM class, but they pick those first.


Thank you, your grace.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:15 am

oldad wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
oldad wrote:Any movement on Honors Fellows stuff?

I know someone said the last group found out just before AJF, but I'm still curious.


I haven't heard anything. I know someone who was offered a spot for the LLM class, but they pick those first.


Thank you, your grace.


Sucking up is appreciated, but unnecessary.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Anyone know when to expect our class schedules to be finalized ( barring drop/add and W/L)?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:11 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Anyone know when to expect our class schedules to be finalized ( barring drop/add and W/L)?


Last year we got them on the 8th. This year the equivalent would be the 7th, but for some reason I have it marked as being the 12th.

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Do 2L/3L classes have TA's too?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:16 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Do 2L/3L classes have TA's too?


Very few do. Antitrust is the only one that comes to mind, and last year was the first time that was the case.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 pm

So I assume a lot of 1L classes have TA's ? Is that considered a "bad" thing or good? Do the effectively teach the course or just aid / assist the professor? On that note, are the 1L professors alright for the most part, or are some of the garbage?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:50 pm

toothbrush wrote:So I assume a lot of 1L classes have TA's ? Is that considered a "bad" thing or good? Do the effectively teach the course or just aid / assist the professor? On that note, are the 1L professors alright for the most part, or are some of the garbage?


Traditionally, only the Lawyering class had true TAs (called Honors Fellows), as far as I know. In the second semester there is a tutoring program where 2Ls and 3Ls who did well in Civ Pro or Contracts provide tutoring for 1L who struggled first semester. Apparently, however, there is a TA for one of the Contracts classes now. I think it's just someone who has office hours so the prof doesn't have to deal with all the stupid questions.

Professors are professors. Some are terrible; some are great. Which ones are which is probably just as much a function of your preferences as the professors' abilities.

User avatar
MischiefMayhemSoap
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm a rising 2L. Contracts and civ pro are more likely to have TA's and some of them do "review sessions" near the end of the semester.

CocoNutties
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CocoNutties » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm

I had some truly dazzling professors my 1L year. TAs in substantive law classes don't teach, they just review.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby californiauser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:29 am

does cornell allow a "why cornell" essay in their application?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 am

californiauser wrote:does cornell allow a "why cornell" essay in their application?

Assuming they haven't changed anything, there will be a question on the app asking you to explain why Cornell in three sentences. Personally, I found this was enough space for an answer, but some people insisted on including a separate addendum.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 am

Lavitz wrote:
californiauser wrote:does cornell allow a "why cornell" essay in their application?

Assuming they haven't changed anything, there will be a question on the app asking you to explain why Cornell in three sentences. Personally, I found this was enough space for an answer, but some people insisted on including a separate addendum.


I wrote an essay (1 pg double spaced) and had really borderline numbers and got in, no way to tell if it helped or not




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mccracal and 2 guests