Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 pm

2014 Cutoffs: 5% = 3.85, 10% = 3.80

And in case someone feels like challenging me on the veracity of this like they have in the past, feel free not to believe me:

LFH_intheflesh

Postby LFH_intheflesh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 am

Rach grades finally coming according to DeRosa.

Excellent. I p sure you guys were holding up my unofficial transcript, so I'll probably be getting that soon.
vvvv
Last edited by LFH_intheflesh on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 am

LFH_intheflesh wrote:Rach grades finally coming according to DeRosa.

I wonder if they'll come around noon like the others did.
Eta: they're up.
Eta: Any cutoff news for 1Ls? When will they be posted in Arbiter's magical grade sheet?

NYC450

Postby NYC450 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Also curious to know when the grade cutoff information for Top 10%, Top 30%, and median might be available?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:07 pm

NYC450 wrote:Also curious to know when the grade cutoff information for Top 10%, Top 30%, and median might be available?

They never release the actual grade cutoff for 30% or median. Your transcript will reflect the 30%/Dean's list cutoff when you get it, and you'll receive a letter.

NYC450

Postby NYC450 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks. How bout for the top 10% is that information available if you call the school or do we have to wait for them to release it? I remember Arbiter having that info last semester.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:17 pm

NYC450 wrote:Thanks. How bout for the top 10% is that information available if you call the school or do we have to wait for them to release it? I remember Arbiter having that info last semester.

Wait till they release it- itll come soon enough.

newbienew

Postby newbienew » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:54 pm

NYC450 wrote:Thanks. How bout for the top 10% is that information available if you call the school or do we have to wait for them to release it? I remember Arbiter having that info last semester.

Arbiter has all info at all times. It's just a matter of when and to whom he chooses to release it. :)

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:41 pm

3.80 per an unofficial transcript/attached grading policy.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

That's what I heard. I was also told (this is second hand, but I trust the information), that Dean's List was 3.646 for 1Ls.

cornellhouse

Postby cornellhouse » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Hey, if any 1Ls are looking for housing, a group of 3Ls have a couple of rooms open in a really cheap/convenient house: --LinkRemoved--

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 pm

cornellhouse wrote:Hey, if any 1Ls are looking for housing, a group of 3Ls have a couple of rooms open in a really cheap/convenient house: --LinkRemoved--

I can vouch that this is a really great house/location/people.

I should add, not nearly as high-strung as me.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

Post the pdf?

http://www.imgur.com

LSHopeful91

Postby LSHopeful91 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 am

Two bid list questions

#1: Which is more important in ranking firms, the amount of interview slots or class size?

#2: How far should we deviate from the average in a downward direction when selecting firms? I know there isn't any hard and fast answer, but let's say for a person at median and then for a person at the top of the class is there a difference in how much we should deviate (say 3.45 should bid a 3.49 average and a 3.73 bidding a 3.77 average)?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am

LSHopeful91 wrote:Two bid list questions

#1: Which is more important in ranking firms, the amount of interview slots or class size?

#2: How far should we deviate from the average in a downward direction when selecting firms? I know there isn't any hard and fast answer, but let's say for a person at median and then for a person at the top of the class is there a difference in how much we should deviate (say 3.45 should bid a 3.49 average and a 3.73 bidding a 3.77 average)?

I'm not really sure there's a right answer to #2. #1, the number of interview slots will directly impact how quickly they fill during bidding and thus how highly ranked you should place the firm if you want a chance at interviewing with them. You should take into account class size, certainly, but that should be considered in the same vein as selectivity, whereas number of slots should take precedence in terms of order (to some extent- obviously that is just one factor).

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:32 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

That's what I heard. I was also told (this is second hand, but I trust the information), that Dean's List was 3.646 for 1Ls.

Holy shit... would that mean that median was exactly a 3.5 this semester? Or was there just more clumping at the top then last semester and teachers kinda spread students out more with their distribution?

LFH_intheflesh

Postby LFH_intheflesh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

Haha wow... looks like I made Dean's list first semester by the skin of my teeth. Good thing I did better second semester.

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:13 am

How accurate is Cornell's estimation of 1,100 for books/supplies?

Should we allot more money if we intend to purchase supplementary materials?

Thanks for doing this thread.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:20 am

CR2012 wrote:How accurate is Cornell's estimation of 1,100 for books/supplies?

You can save a bunch by buying used books or by renting books from the Cornell bookstore (~50% off purchase price, you can highlight and write, and must return at the end of the semester). If you buy all new books, it's probably pretty accurate.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 am

Lincoln wrote:
CR2012 wrote:How accurate is Cornell's estimation of 1,100 for books/supplies?

You can save a bunch by buying used books or by renting books from the Cornell bookstore (~50% off purchase price, you can highlight and write, and must return at the end of the semester). If you buy all new books, it's probably pretty accurate.

I hear Lacepiece has great secondhand books, with superb highlighting.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 am

You guys seems pretty chill so hopefully you don't mind some questions.

The orientation date for us incoming 1l's is august 26th. After that I assume the week will progress with classes etc. How fast do we "hit the ground running" sort to speak? Is it going to get intense quickly or not so much?

How competitive is the feeling at Cornell? I know there are gunners everywhere, but iirc Cornell has graded lw which may make things worse? Thoughts?

What did you guys do the 1L winter break? Is it customary to take classes / stay in ithaca / do pro bono work ?

How soon into the semester do you have to think about summer work ? Did it work out for you / your peers (1l summer work I mean).

I guess that's all for now. Starting to get anxious.

Thanks!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

toothbrush wrote:You guys seems pretty chill so hopefully you don't mind some questions.

The orientation date for us incoming 1l's is august 26th. After that I assume the week will progress with classes etc. How fast do we "hit the ground running" sort to speak? Is it going to get intense quickly or not so much?

How competitive is the feeling at Cornell? I know there are gunners everywhere, but iirc Cornell has graded lw which may make things worse? Thoughts?

What did you guys do the 1L winter break? Is it customary to take classes / stay in ithaca / do pro bono work ?

How soon into the semester do you have to think about summer work ? Did it work out for you / your peers (1l summer work I mean).

Thanks!

Intensity: It's like having a fire hydrant turned on full blast and being told to take a sip.

Competition: Behind every blade of grass, a thousand guns. (No, people are fine).

Winter break: Collapse in a puddle of your our tears and, likely, vomit. You'll barely be able to walk.

Summer work: NALP guidelines prevent career services from consulting you before November 1, I think it is. So not before then.

ProTip: If you have to ask who the gunner is, it's you.

morally0bese

Postby morally0bese » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 am

Seconded. This kid has 1500 posts as a 0L.

LFH_intheflesh

Postby LFH_intheflesh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 am

toothbrush wrote:You guys seems pretty chill so hopefully you don't mind some questions.

Workload starts intense, but iirc doesn't really ramp up. So it becomes easier as you get used to it.

Nobody gives a fuck about graded LW. If people care its because its the first time they've ever heard negative feedback about their writing. Law school is full of special fragile snowflakes. (like you, cupcake)

Every year is different but we didn't go around trying to undermine each other if that's what your asking.

How would you take a class or do an internship in 4 weeks? It's customary to visit your family at this time because you may be working away from home over the summer. Stay in Ithaca, blaze, rediscover your hobbies, it doesn't matter.

Depends on where you want to work over the summer. If you want to work somewhere competitive like DC, start applying right after finals. If you want to work at the DAs office in your hometown in the midwest, you have a little more leeway. I got a job offer 2 days before my first spring semester final, so it was kind of down to the wire for me. But I am certain that I would have found a job much sooner were I willing to stay in Ithaca or stay with my parents over the summer. (lol fuck that noise). We were getting emails about professor RA positions opening up even during finals week.

Thanks!

Relax

Arbiter213 wrote:ProTip: If you have to ask who the gunner is, it's you.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 am

lol at some of the responses but thanks for giving me the input.

I asked about winter 'cause 1) I know HLS has classes inter session (which I'm on the WL for) and 2) my family is planning a vacation and I want to be able to commit.

I feel like I'm anti-gunner. I am worried I'll fall behind because of how little I care at this point / how little I did in UG.

I guess it'll work itself out though.

Do people get 1L SA in NYC ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”