Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:40 am

It is as good as impossible to get a spot in the lot immediately next to Hughes. Even professors and other staff can't get those. I'm not sure as to where other people park; nesker drives to campus, so he would know better than the rest of us. I plan on bringing a car next year, but I won't be bringing it to campus very often, so I'll go without a permit.

paraducks
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby paraducks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:12 am

fsohn wrote:It is as good as impossible to get a spot in the lot immediately next to Hughes. Even professors and other staff can't get those. I'm not sure as to where other people park; nesker drives to campus, so he would know better than the rest of us. I plan on bringing a car next year, but I won't be bringing it to campus very often, so I'll go without a permit.


so if i plan to live on campus i should forget the car? i guess it's no big deal either way, but i would like to drive. i guess i could get a 4wd car but i don't really want the hassle.

User avatar
bishopus
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:02 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby bishopus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 am

fsohn wrote:It is as good as impossible to get a spot in the lot immediately next to Hughes.


The admitted student binder claims that Hughes residents have the option of a parking spot in that lot. Can anyone verify?

If the admitted student binder is fallible, I just don't know anymore...

zay
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby zay » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:44 am

bishopus wrote:The admitted student binder claims that Hughes residents have the option of a parking spot in that lot. Can anyone verify?


I thought it used to be that you could park in the upper lot on the weekends, just not the weekdays. Perhaps they've changed that rule?

paraducks wrote:so if i plan to live on campus i should forget the car? i guess it's no big deal either way, but i would like to drive. i guess i could get a 4wd car but i don't really want the hassle.


I'd still bring a car if you can. You'll need it to get to the Wegmans to do any sort of grocery shopping (unless you're a bus fan, but it kinda sucks). What kind of car do you have? Based upon your earlier post, I assume you have a FWD, so you are probably okay. You may want to get snow tires if you feel so inclined, but as long as you avoid the super steep roads, you'll be fine. Plus, you'll need to car to escape Ithaca on any long weekend and/or breaks. Flying in/out of Ithaca Regional is a miserable experience. And expensive.

User avatar
mr.smurf
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mr.smurf » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:48 am

I posted this q as a new thread but thought it'd make more sense to post in this thread :)

Does anyone know how Cornell's Public Interest Low Income Protection Plan (PILIPP) actually pans out? I've read through the plan details and examples, and it seems to give fair consideration in proportion to your income among other factors. But I've heard varied reports on different LRAPs from different law schools, I've heard Cornell's LRAP is not bad, but was wondering if anyone has been through this plan personally.

Thanks.

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:49 am

You can park in most (if not all) Cornell lots on the weekends without a permit. As for needing a car to go grocery shopping, there are always people you can get a ride with, and if you don't feel like being a mooch in that way, or getting a ride, there's always Ithaca CarShare. I don't use it, but I know people who do, and it works for them. This year, Cornell paid the $50 sign-up fee, so it didn't cost anything to join.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 am

You guys don't need 4 wheel-drive cars. Rear wheel-drive cars are just really bad in the snow. Most cars made today are front wheel-drive, or all wheel-drive. The exceptions are typically sports cars, BMWs (non Xi), older American cars, etc.

If you've never driven in a lot of snow/ice, then it could be a bit of a challenge. The roads in Ithaca can be steep and fairly narrow. You might want to look into getting snow tires. I think you can get a set for ~500-600.

missv463
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby missv463 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:46 am

como wrote:Here is a quote from my acceptance package:

'Beginning in mid-April, detailed University housing information prepared by Residence Life is sent to accepted applicants who have paid the admission deposit. This information will include the housing application form.'

It looks like you're right. It will be in April, but only to those who have paid the deposit. The deposit is due by April 17th anyway, so that pretty much makes the 'get it in ASAP' conclusion that I made moot.



hahaha awesome... i was freaking out for a sec, and i remember reading this, so i just wanted to confirm with someone else. thanks dude!

PS- In an unrelated note: definitely bring a car if you can! it comes in handy when you need to go to the supermarket or the mall. also, after a certain time, the buses don't run as often and that can be in a pain in the A if you are not living in hughes or anywhere near the law school.

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LeahNic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:20 pm

I'll ask a couple of Hughes residents that I know have a car and find out where they park. I'll get back to you after I hear from them.

If you have the option to bring a car I would. It's just nice and convenient.

I wouldnt worry about snow tires. The roads stay plowed, and you likely wont need to drive your car to the grocery store DURING a snowstorm. If you dont want to spend the money on them, then just know there will be times that are not advisable to drive, but a couple hours after it stops-- the roads will be cleared.

You will find you probably wont use your car THAT much during the winter-- but it is still nice to have one.

paraducks
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby paraducks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:52 pm

como wrote:You guys don't need 4 wheel-drive cars. Rear wheel-drive cars are just really bad in the snow. Most cars made today are front wheel-drive, or all wheel-drive. The exceptions are typically sports cars, BMWs (non Xi), older American cars, etc.

If you've never driven in a lot of snow/ice, then it could be a bit of a challenge. The roads in Ithaca can be steep and fairly narrow. You might want to look into getting snow tires. I think you can get a set for ~500-600.


mine is rwd i have since found out but i think i am just going to take my chances.

LeahNic wrote:I'll ask a couple of Hughes residents that I know have a car and find out where they park. I'll get back to you after I hear from them.

If you have the option to bring a car I would. It's just nice and convenient.

I wouldnt worry about snow tires. The roads stay plowed, and you likely wont need to drive your car to the grocery store DURING a snowstorm. If you dont want to spend the money on them, then just know there will be times that are not advisable to drive, but a couple hours after it stops-- the roads will be cleared.

You will find you probably wont use your car THAT much during the winter-- but it is still nice to have one.


good to know - thanks!

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:02 pm

paraducks wrote:
como wrote:You guys don't need 4 wheel-drive cars. Rear wheel-drive cars are just really bad in the snow. Most cars made today are front wheel-drive, or all wheel-drive. The exceptions are typically sports cars, BMWs (non Xi), older American cars, etc.

If you've never driven in a lot of snow/ice, then it could be a bit of a challenge. The roads in Ithaca can be steep and fairly narrow. You might want to look into getting snow tires. I think you can get a set for ~500-600.


mine is rwd i have since found out but i think i am just going to take my chances.

LeahNic wrote:I'll ask a couple of Hughes residents that I know have a car and find out where they park. I'll get back to you after I hear from them.

If you have the option to bring a car I would. It's just nice and convenient.

I wouldnt worry about snow tires. The roads stay plowed, and you likely wont need to drive your car to the grocery store DURING a snowstorm. If you dont want to spend the money on them, then just know there will be times that are not advisable to drive, but a couple hours after it stops-- the roads will be cleared.

You will find you probably wont use your car THAT much during the winter-- but it is still nice to have one.


good to know - thanks!


That's cool, man. Rear wheel drives are definitely more fun to drive, and you can do some sick drifting or donuts now! Either way, it's not like you should get a different car for a different climate. You'll just have to learn how to drive a little differently (if you're from a warmer climate).

serenfindis
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby serenfindis » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:36 pm

I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but how are job placements in California firms from Cornell? Also, since I probably can't afford a car (or the parking), how about having a bike to go to Wegman's, doable or insane (I'm a CA native and have no concept of snow)? Do you get to choose your sections or is it randomly assigned? What sort of ECs would you recommend for a 1L?

Thanks!

User avatar
monochrome
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby monochrome » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:51 pm

serenfindis wrote:Also, since I probably can't afford a car (or the parking), how about having a bike to go to Wegman's, doable or insane


as a cornell ug living near the law school-- i've never heard of anyone biking to wegman's. it's about ten minutes away, but the real issue is that it's down in the valley and it would probably be a really strenuous ride back up the hill to campus, especially with groceries.

serenfindis
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby serenfindis » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:17 am

Thanks! Bus, it is then...or is there a cheaper, more convenient way to go?

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:59 am

serenfindis wrote:I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but how are job placements in California firms from Cornell? Also, since I probably can't afford a car (or the parking), how about having a bike to go to Wegman's, doable or insane (I'm a CA native and have no concept of snow)? Do you get to choose your sections or is it randomly assigned? What sort of ECs would you recommend for a 1L?

Thanks!


As far as I'm aware, sections are randomly assigned. My small-section professor, who used to be on the admissions committee, said they try to balance the section demographically.

You'll have classes with every section at some point, I think. In any case, you'll probably get to know the people in your section best, but because you'll definitely get to know people in other sections if you are at all sociable. Some of my better friends at the law school are not in my section, and I'm not a terribly sociable person.

As for groceries, I would say bring a car if you can. It's more than a small pain to take the bus to do grocery shopping. You can do some of the basics at the 24-hour place near the law school, but for most stuff it is an utter rip off. I regret not bringing a car this year, and will definitely be getting one this summer. Buses are convenient enough for getting to and from school, but rather inconvenient in terms of scheduling for grocery shopping.

User avatar
mr.smurf
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mr.smurf » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:09 am

+1 On the whether you can park @ Hughes question. It seems the consensus is that having a car in Ithaca is not necessary, but much more convenient ?

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LeahNic » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:18 am

mr.smurf wrote:+1 On the whether you can park @ Hughes question. It seems the consensus is that having a car in Ithaca is not necessary, but much more convenient ?



My friend at Hughes says that you get a parking permit and there is a lot about a block or so away from Hughes that you get a space in. He said it's a little farther from the law school than he anticipated but not too bad.

edit: for terrible grammar.
Last edited by LeahNic on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jxk
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby jxk » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:50 pm

serenfindis wrote:Thanks! Bus, it is then...or is there a cheaper, more convenient way to go?


the cheaper more convenient way to go is to make friends with someone who has a car and beg them to take you to wegmans whenever they go.

haha but seriously, as other people have said, bring a car if you can. i went to cornell UG and there is a bus to wegmans but it only runs on saturday and sunday once an hour between 3 pm and 7 pm or something like that. i didn't have a car when i was there and id have to take the bus there on the wknds and then get all my shopping done in 45 min so i wouldnt miss the next bus. once i missed the bus and wandered around wegmans for 2 hours (thankfully, i really enjoy supermarkets). in addition, since you only have time to go once a week MAX (and you'll probably even have less time since its law school), you have to buy enough food to sustain you for at least 2 weeks. bringing all that stuff on the bus is not a pleasant experience. maintaining a supply of fresh fruits and vegetables can be difficult. plus, it really sucks when you run out of something you need to use to cook and you have no way of getting to wegmans easily other than a cab. and i agree with the other poster about the 24 hour wilson farms mini mart in ctown being a huge ripoff. most of their produce/meat looks..questionable.

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:46 pm

paraducks wrote:say i want to maintain foreign language proficiencies, are there any options?


I wanted to bump this question because I'm wondering the same thing. Want to maintain at least one of my languages...Any options??

Edit: Sorry if this has been answered, but I just skimmed through everything pretty quickly because I'm at work. Thanks!

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:51 pm

I think on the admitted students website/forum there is a post about this. Apparently you can put 6 credits or something of language toward the JD. So, I guess that means you can take 1-2 language courses at the university if you want. Like most universities with an international student body, I'm pretty sure you would be able to find a private tutor in almost any major language.

User avatar
TopLaw_Diva
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:10 pm

As a SoCal girl who loves to shop...are there any nearby malls or shopping centers, movie theaters, banks? What stores do they have (Macy's, Nordstrom, JCPenny? Also is there a place to shop for household necessities like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy? How far would you say this is from campus? And is it doable via the bus/shuttle?

JJim1919
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby JJim1919 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Anyone want to talk about the OCI process? How do interviews work? How easy is it to get one your top choice firms? Thanks.

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LeahNic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:21 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:As a SoCal girl who loves to shop...are there any nearby malls or shopping centers, movie theaters, banks? What stores do they have (Macy's, Nordstrom, JCPenny? Also is there a place to shop for household necessities like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy? How far would you say this is from campus? And is it doable via the bus/shuttle?



I'm from Houston. I love to shop. I'll be honest-- the shopping options here are brutal. It makes me want to cry.

We do have a Target, Wal Mart and Best buy. We dont have any of the department stores you listed. There is a bus to the Target/Best buy area that is easy and convenient. Wal-Mart is not quite as convenient as those.

The one up side is-- we really shouldnt be shopping in law school anyway, unless you are independently wealthy. That's how I console myself.

User avatar
neskerdoo
Posts: 599
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby neskerdoo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:24 pm

I think there is a big mall in Syracuse, so you could go there on the weekend or some such

User avatar
TopLaw_Diva
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby TopLaw_Diva » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 pm

OMG...you have got to be kidding me. You're right I shouldn't be shopping but I at least like to know its there. Where do you all go for clothes? Let's say if you needed a new suit for an interview? Also is there a movie theater and does it play current movies?

When would you all suggest looking for places to live? I am still waiting to hear back from quite a few other schools and don't want to jump the gun...

Thanks so much for the quick responses
Still in shock about not even having a JCPenny? How about an OldNavy or Forever 21? (I'm desperate here)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], govlife and 5 guests