Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I'm pretty sure syracuse came to interview on campus for 1L positions last year.

They did this year too. They hired at least three people from it that I know of.


NDNY is pretty selective in its own right. They're very gettable, but the USAO jobs are definitely up there in selectivity.

There's also the USAO Clinic in NDNY- and they're definitely extremely picky. From what I've seen and heard, they're law reviews whores.


wait was he asking about full time employment? I thought it was just for 1L summer

Yeah I just meant for internships.

User avatar
Rev. Cherrycoke
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm

I originally posted this in the Class of 2016 thread, but I'm gonna drop it here to get the thoughts/advice of current students:


It now looks like I will most likely end up at Cornell, so hopefully one of you will be kind enough to give me a quick housing 101. I'm looking for something cheap (under $1,000 a month) and as close to the school as possible (ideally, I would like to walk, avoid hills, and not rely on public transportation).

My understanding is that Collegetown is where most students live and it is closer to the school, but it is pricey. Downtown is cheaper but at the bottom of a hill. Hughes Hall is dormy and perhaps too close to the school. Where is the best place to start looking for housing? Any website recommendations?

With regards to Hughes, I know that they have 2-5 person suites. Can you pick a suite or at least state your preference? I wouldn't mind living with one or two people (as I have done this in the past), but living with three or four other people would be a completely new experience that I'm not too keen on having during 1L. Also, how are the bathrooms shared? Is it one bathroom per suite?

Finally, can someone speak on the other graduate housing options? Maplewood and Thurston Ct have decent prices for a studio and one bedroom.

Any housing advice or recommendations will be appreciated.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 pm

My 1br 1L year was just up a little hill from the law school and all inclusive it came to just under $1000 a month. I found it on craigslist via padmapper in like August right before school started. I would recommend asking around at pj apartments, moll properties also looked like it had some good stuff. Be prepared to act quick though I found one for next year the day it was put on craigslist and scheduled a viewing for the next day and by the morning viewing someone else had already snatched it up.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Clermont has to be one of the worse teachers I have ever had... I am terrified his class will ruin me, and this is coming from someone who liked civ pro first semester

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 pm

redsox550 wrote:Clermont has to be one of the worse teachers I have ever had... I am terrified his class will ruin me, and this is coming from someone who liked civ pro first semester



I'm pretty sure if you just guess C for all of the multiple choice you're guaranteed at least a B/B+. I don't think he really even reads the essays.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:I originally posted this in the Class of 2016 thread, but I'm gonna drop it here to get the thoughts/advice of current students:


It now looks like I will most likely end up at Cornell, so hopefully one of you will be kind enough to give me a quick housing 101. I'm looking for something cheap (under $1,000 a month) and as close to the school as possible (ideally, I would like to walk, avoid hills, and not rely on public transportation).

My understanding is that Collegetown is where most students live and it is closer to the school, but it is pricey. Downtown is cheaper but at the bottom of a hill. Hughes Hall is dormy and perhaps too close to the school. Where is the best place to start looking for housing? Any website recommendations?

With regards to Hughes, I know that they have 2-5 person suites. Can you pick a suite or at least state your preference? I wouldn't mind living with one or two people (as I have done this in the past), but living with three or four other people would be a completely new experience that I'm not too keen on having during 1L. Also, how are the bathrooms shared? Is it one bathroom per suite?

Finally, can someone speak on the other graduate housing options? Maplewood and Thurston Ct have decent prices for a studio and one bedroom.

Any housing advice or recommendations will be appreciated.



Start on Craigslist. This is just my 2 cents. Admissions really harps on living as close to campus as possible, but it really isn't a a big deal so long as you don't live out int he middle of Dryden or way up in Lansing. Paying under $1,000, living within non-hill walking distance to the law school, and not requiring use of public transportation is a hard combo to find unless you live in Hughes. The bus system is really great and it is free your first year, so don't be terrified if you have to take a short bus ride to school. Depending on what type of housing you are used to and how much you currently pay for it, Ithaca may be a bit of a sticker shock. You will find that apartments near the law school that literally look like they are going to fall any moment with bear claw bathtubs, no stove, and no utilities included can cost upwards of $800 a month. While living near the law school may be nice, plan on paying for it unless you can get some great deal. There are many places in the downtown area and north campus area that are about a 10 minute bus ride, but are more modernized and don't cost quite as much as collegetown. Also, most of the grocery stores and general stores (wal-mart, target etc) are much closer to either downtown or north campus.

When I was first looking at housing I thought I would just die if I didn't get super close to the law school. But I live downtown (which is really only a mile from the law school) and I couldn't be more happy with my choice. Several 1ls live in the north campus area and are equally happy with their choice. Living extremely close to the law school may not be as necessary or even desirable as admissions makes it out to be. However, don't take this to mean that living 5-7 miles out is fine... that will be inconvenient b/c buses don't run as frequently. A 1-3 miles range really is fine.

User avatar
Rev. Cherrycoke
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions. I was originally Collegetown or bust, but now I've started looking at places that are a bit farther away. Places in the Fall Creek that are conveniently close to a bus stop look pretty cheap.

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby masked kavana » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:41 am

I'm thinking of deferring admission for a year. I was offered a scholarship this year but it's not guaranteed for the next school year. Does anyone know about others that have deferred and received the same scholarship or are you basically looking at sticker?

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 pm

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:48 pm

I hear ppl throwing around the 30% number for average score on clermonts exam. Anyone actually know any of the past average scores on his test?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:20 pm

redsox550 wrote:I hear ppl throwing around the 30% number for average score on clermonts exam. Anyone actually know any of the past average scores on his test?


My understanding was 50% was average for the multiple choice. Generally a 20/30 would give you one of, if not the, highest multiple choice score.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:I hear ppl throwing around the 30% number for average score on clermonts exam. Anyone actually know any of the past average scores on his test?


My understanding was 50% was average for the multiple choice. Generally a 20/30 would give you one of, if not the, highest multiple choice score.

Any idea about Holden-Smith's multiple choice?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:I hear ppl throwing around the 30% number for average score on clermonts exam. Anyone actually know any of the past average scores on his test?


My understanding was 50% was average for the multiple choice. Generally a 20/30 would give you one of, if not the, highest multiple choice score.

Any idea about Holden-Smith's multiple choice?


Only god can save you now.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mths » Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:I hear ppl throwing around the 30% number for average score on clermonts exam. Anyone actually know any of the past average scores on his test?


My understanding was 50% was average for the multiple choice. Generally a 20/30 would give you one of, if not the, highest multiple choice score.

Any idea about Holden-Smith's multiple choice?


Only god can save you now.

go to bed

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:12 am

mths wrote:go to bed


You first.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mths » Mon May 06, 2013 12:37 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:go to bed


You first.

touche

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:I hear ppl throwing around the 30% number for average score on clermonts exam. Anyone actually know any of the past average scores on his test?


My understanding was 50% was average for the multiple choice. Generally a 20/30 would give you one of, if not the, highest multiple choice score.

Any idea about Holden-Smith's multiple choice?


Only god can save you now.


as soon as u mention god my mind goes straight to deific doctrine (crim law)... now that prob means i should go to bed

User avatar
Rev. Cherrycoke
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Which companies provide the best cell phone service in Ithaca?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm

verizon works pretty good for me

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:Which companies provide the best cell phone service in Ithaca?

And I have AT&T and I get service everywhere around Ithaca. Except in the Ithaca Mall...I get absolutely no service

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:55 am

FlanAl wrote:verizon works pretty good for me


AT&T is generally fine, Verizon is spectacular (4G).

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Wed May 08, 2013 12:59 am

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:Which companies provide the best cell phone service in Ithaca?

Sprint is also fine here. No 4G though.

Volforlife
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Volforlife » Sat May 11, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm coming to Ithaca this weekend to scout a couple apartments and sign a lease. Anyone willing to let me sleep on their couch Friday and Saturday night? I will fill your fridge with beverages. PM me.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:33 am

seeing how shitty my note is, I am interested in knowing if one of the secondary journals will help more in getting a jerb then the other one.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 pm

redsox550 wrote:seeing how shitty my note is, I am interested in knowing if one of the secondary journals will help more in getting a jerb then the other one.


No.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests