Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 pm

FlanAl wrote:
They're just the PI career services people but would probably offer a good amount of insight.

For professors you could also probably contact Glenn Galbreath, he runs the externships and I think a chunk of the clinics. Also possibly John Blume or Prof. Johnson may be helpful.

This.

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:16 am

FlanAl wrote:For professors you could also probably contact Glenn Galbreath, he runs the externships and I think a chunk of the clinics. Also possibly John Blume or Prof. Johnson may be helpful.

Awesome, thanks.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm

I know parking at Cornell is an assache, but it's going to be a necessity for me. The price doesn't scare me, but I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. I would get the SC permit which would allow me to park in the SC lots on the map below. It looks like the crescent lot is one of them. I parked in the garage by the baseball field for my tour and it wasn't too far. Can anyone confirm how far of a walk it is from the crescent lot to the law school and whether or not there's actually parking available there, or if I'll end up having to park further away?

http://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/pa ... t_info.cfm

http://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/fi ... %20Map.pdf

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:42 pm

ph5354a wrote:I know parking at Cornell is an assache, but it's going to be a necessity for me. The price doesn't scare me, but I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. I would get the SC permit which would allow me to park in the SC lots on the map below. It looks like the crescent lot is one of them. I parked in the garage by the baseball field for my tour and it wasn't too far. Can anyone confirm how far of a walk it is from the crescent lot to the law school and whether or not there's actually parking available there, or if I'll end up having to park further away?

If price isn't an option, you can buy a permit to park in the city parking garage which is literally a 3 minute walk to the law school if that. I don't haeva permit but I park there everyday. If you don't have a permit it is $1 per hour.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:43 pm

ph5354a wrote:I know parking at Cornell is an assache, but it's going to be a necessity for me. The price doesn't scare me, but I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. I would get the SC permit which would allow me to park in the SC lots on the map below. It looks like the crescent lot is one of them. I parked in the garage by the baseball field for my tour and it wasn't too far. Can anyone confirm how far of a walk it is from the crescent lot to the law school and whether or not there's actually parking available there, or if I'll end up having to park further away?

It's a 15 minute walk tops. A little hill but not bad. No idea about availability.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:26 am

Thank you both! Great call on the collegetown garage. Looks like it's $2,200 for a year. I thought it might be worth it for the convenience, but I also realized that I would be leasing a specific spot, so if someone parked in my spot, I would be SOL for the time-being. I may stick with the SC permit --a little exercise never hurt anyone.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:42 pm

I have started considering Cornell more and more as this process goes on. How is placement into Texas? I'd love to hear any and all anecdotes. Or should I be focusing more on Duke, UVA, etc?

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:I have started considering Cornell more and more as this process goes on. How is placement into Texas? I'd love to hear any and all anecdotes. Or should I be focusing more on Duke, UVA, etc?

Also interested in this.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 am

thoughts on the opportunity cost of applying for the LII journal during april?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:30 am

BigZuck wrote:I have started considering Cornell more and more as this process goes on. How is placement into Texas? I'd love to hear any and all anecdotes. Or should I be focusing more on Duke, UVA, etc?

I have no idea how it compares to Duke/UVA, but I have two friends who got Texas offers with varying degrees of ties. One was from Texas and one had an SO in Texas. From what they told me most of the big firms hire from the (non-HYS?) T14 pretty equally, and it's the ties that matter. It's my impression that it's also relatively easy to get 1L summer gigs in Texas. This is a very small sample-size, obviously, but you asked for anecdotes.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:32 am

redsox550 wrote:thoughts on the opportunity cost of applying for the LII journal during april?

All I know is the last thing I would have wanted during 2L fall is more shit to deal with.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:46 am

redsox550 wrote:thoughts on the opportunity cost of applying for the LII journal during april?

Other than the opportunity of becoming EIC of LII and thus getting to go to moot banquets, I don't really know why people would choose to do LII. In fact, you're better off spending the time mooting to go to moot banquets.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:09 am

Arbiter213 wrote:

Other than the opportunity of becoming EIC of LII and thus getting to go to moot banquets, I don't really know why people would choose to do LII. In fact, you're better off spending the time mooting to go to moot banquets.

I guess if you don't get on a journal having LII on your resume could be good, but chances are you will end up on a journal and so will have to do both, which just sounds terrible. Maybe someone who is actually on LII can chime in?

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:03 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

I guess if you don't get on a journal having LII on your resume could be good, but chances are you will end up on a journal and so will have to do both, which just sounds terrible. Maybe someone who is actually on LII can chime in?

It doesn't give u an OCI boost?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:43 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

It doesn't give u an OCI boost?

Hard to say. Maybe? Most of the people on LII already have pretty impressive resumes and did very well. One of my friends is a JD/MBA, LII, Law Review. He did very well at OCI but I doubt LII had any impact- he didn't do any better than people with less on their resumes.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:55 pm

What do Cornell students do during the 1L summer? I know there's a $4,000 PI stipend. Do most end up in NYC or DC?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Does the 1L PI stipend cover internships at USAO or state attorneys offices or is it only non-profits?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:14 pm

ph5354a wrote:Does the 1L PI stipend cover internships at USAO or state attorneys offices or is it only non-profits?

It covers government and non-profit. So yes, the USAO is covered. The only glaring omission is for judicial internships, but you can get cheap academic credit for that.
Edit: state, local and federal government are all covered.
Last edited by hephaestus on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:16 pm

ph5354a wrote:What do Cornell students do during the 1L summer? I know there's a $4,000 PI stipend. Do most end up in NYC or DC?

Yes antecdotally most people I know are going to NYC or DC. I'm going back to my secondary market, as are a few other people I know. I do not know anyone that did not find something in the specific location they desired.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:52 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Does the 1L PI stipend cover internships at USAO or state attorneys offices or is it only non-profits?

It covers government and non-profit. So yes, the USAO is covered. The only glaring omission is for judicial internships, but you can get cheap academic credit for that.

Thanks! Does anyone know how competitive USAO internships are in the northern NY district? I'm guessing Syracuse/Binghamton are less competitive than the nyc offices because who really wants to spend their summer in Syracuse or Binghamton.... Or is that off base?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 pm

ph5354a wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

Thanks! Does anyone know how competitive USAO internships are in the northern NY district? I'm guessing Syracuse/Binghamton are less competitive than the nyc offices because who really wants to spend their summer in Syracuse or Binghamton.... Or is that off base?

That's on target. I know several people doing work with NDNY. Several people also got SDNY related positions in NYC. The key was applying early (essentially right after finals).
Honestly if you want a USAO gig for 1L, you can get it.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm pretty sure syracuse came to interview on campus for 1L positions last year.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 pm

FlanAl wrote:I'm pretty sure syracuse came to interview on campus for 1L positions last year.

They did this year too. They hired at least three people from it that I know of.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:17 am

ImNoScar wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I'm pretty sure syracuse came to interview on campus for 1L positions last year.

They did this year too. They hired at least three people from it that I know of.

NDNY is pretty selective in its own right. They're very gettable, but the USAO jobs are definitely up there in selectivity.

There's also the USAO Clinic in NDNY- and they're definitely extremely picky. From what I've seen and heard, they're law reviews whores.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

NDNY is pretty selective in its own right. They're very gettable, but the USAO jobs are definitely up there in selectivity.

There's also the USAO Clinic in NDNY- and they're definitely extremely picky. From what I've seen and heard, they're law reviews whores.

wait was he asking about full time employment? I thought it was just for 1L summer

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”