Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iMisto

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Time warner goes up each year. As a second year I had to pay like $60/m just for internet and they charged me an outrageous fee for moving.

Are you kidding me???? $60 for internet? :shock: Please, tell me there is another provider in Ithaca...

Also, is it plausible to snag a studio apartment in the downtown area for less than $600/mo? I'm kind of freaking out about housing at the moment... (let's be real, I'm freaking out about everything).

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 pm

iMisto wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
Time warner goes up each year. As a second year I had to pay like $60/m just for internet and they charged me an outrageous fee for moving.

Are you kidding me???? $60 for internet? :shock: Please, tell me there is another provider in Ithaca...

Also, is it plausible to snag a studio apartment in the downtown area for less than $600/mo? I'm kind of freaking out about housing at the moment... (let's be real, I'm freaking out about everything).

I pay like 38 for internet, but I dont have a contract. They automatically raise it, as FlanAl says. You just have to call and harass them and you can pay the normal rate.
Also, you can in the downtown area (which is like a 15-20 minute walk), but not in Collegetown, which is close to Cornell. I would say expect to spend between 800-1000 a month on an apartment in comfortable walking distance. I think its worth the extra cash to be close to campus 1L.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I pay like 38 for internet, but I dont have a contract. They automatically raise it, as FlanAl says. You just have to call and harass them and you can pay the normal rate.
Also, you can in the downtown area (which is like a 15-20 minute walk), but not in Collegetown, which is close to Cornell. I would say expect to spend between 800-1000 a month on an apartment in comfortable walking distance. I think its worth the extra cash to be close to campus 1L.

And that is the only internet provider in all of Ithaca?

15-20min walk is fine by me (I also have a car). Collegetown is expensive, and I hear it's obnoxiously loud.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 pm

iMisto wrote:
FlanAl wrote:

Thats pretty much what timewarner costs everywhere I think. My parents pay something similar and a friend of mine pays $80m in NYC for just internet. Theres no way you're going to be able to get a studio for less than $600 anywhere in ithaca. There's one that looks good on craigslist right now --LinkRemoved--

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that they claim that their high tuition is offset by the cheap cost of living. Ithaca thinks its fine to charge NYC prices.

Timewarner is the only internet provider and collegetown really isn't that loud, its cornell not Chico State.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 pm

iMisto wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:I pay like 38 for internet, but I dont have a contract. They automatically raise it, as FlanAl says. You just have to call and harass them and you can pay the normal rate.

And that is the only internet provider in all of Ithaca?

15-20min walk is fine by me (I also have a car). Collegetown is expensive, and I hear it's obnoxiously loud.

It depends on what part of Collegetown. I live in upper collegetown and its great. There are no bars near me and its not uphill. There are no real apartment complexes though, they are all houses that have been converted into apartments. I'd stick to Craigslist for a decent deal.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Ok.. so I'll prep myself for paying out the ass for internet.

Collegetown will remain a possibility, but I'll keep my eyes on craigslist for a deal like the one above ^.
How far out does one need to begin seriously searching for an apartment? I'd like my lease to begin Aug.1... but I hear it's atrocious trying to get a place late in the game. Will renters allow me to put down a deposit and hold a place? :|

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 pm

There's a renting season coming up. Another key is that some landlords are absolute crooks, while others are great.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:There's a renting season coming up. Another key is that some landlords are absolute crooks, while others are great.

Omg... I'll cry if I get stuck with a terrible landlord. What the hell is wrong with people? :(

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 am

iMisto wrote:Ok.. so I'll prep myself for paying out the ass for internet.

Collegetown will remain a possibility, but I'll keep my eyes on craigslist for a deal like the one above ^.
How far out does one need to begin seriously searching for an apartment? I'd like my lease to begin Aug.1... but I hear it's atrocious trying to get a place late in the game. Will renters allow me to put down a deposit and hold a place? :|

I got my place in march during asw. Since its such a college town most leases actually start in August or July. As arbiter said, it's about finding people that wont screw you. Avoid the renting companies.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 am

iMisto wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:There's a renting season coming up. Another key is that some landlords are absolute crooks, while others are great.

Omg... I'll cry if I get stuck with a terrible landlord. What the hell is wrong with people? :(

This will be your best friend: http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/Tenant_Rights_2011.pdf

I suggest living in the Commons. 1Ls get a free bus pass for the year, the ride takes 10 minutes and is comfortable, the buses and the main bus stop in the Commons is heated, you'll be close to better bars and restaurants, and you won't have to live in a shithole.

I'm pretty sure there are internet providers other than TWC. I can't wait to switch next semester.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 pm

How have employment prospects been for the most recent graduating class? I know Cornell usually does better than the vast majority of schools to begin with but I was wondering if here was a discernible difference this year compared with the previous 2?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:17 pm

I second living downtown if you are not living in ctown. Buses to campus run every 5-10 minutes, you have a free bus pass first year (and it's about $200/yr after that, which is about what you save per month living downtown), and there are actually stores and bars and whatever. If you live anywhere else it's just kind of isolated.

My building has internet and heat included. Gas, electric, and water runs me $30.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Lincoln - is that a larger building where I might find a spot? Studios/1bedrooms?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:06 am

iMisto wrote:Lincoln - is that a larger building where I might find a spot? Studios/1bedrooms?

PM'd you.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:35 am

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 am

no real changes...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:42 am

redsox550 wrote:no real changes...

Agreed. A bit anomalous, actually. You'd expect the cutoffs to go down, not remain the same (or actually go up, as it did for the 3Ls).

SpatulasRcool13

Postby SpatulasRcool13 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:15 am

Although I'm not a Cornell 1L, I do go to undergrad here right now, so I thought I'd add a little to the housing discussion. Out of all the places I've looked, the nicest apartments are at Gun Hill (they have cathedral ceilings and they repaint/carpet/ clean them before every new lease). It's a good walking distance to both the Commons and campus, and renting there includes complimentary shuttle rides to campus every 15min during the week, and to Wegmans on the weekend.

Just an idea for those looking :) There are also new apartments (real apartments, not converted houses) going up at the far end of Collegetown, but I don't know how expensive they are, and also I think you'd end up having to make the walk to campus (which is not something you want to do in January/February).

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:56 pm

SpatulasRcool13 wrote:

Although I'm not a Cornell 1L, I do go to undergrad here right now, so I thought I'd add a little to the housing discussion. Out of all the places I've looked, the nicest apartments are at Gun Hill (they have cathedral ceilings and they repaint/carpet/ clean them before every new lease). It's a good walking distance to both the Commons and campus, and renting there includes complimentary shuttle rides to campus every 15min during the week, and to Wegmans on the weekend.

Just an idea for those looking :) There are also new apartments (real apartments, not converted houses) going up at the far end of Collegetown, but I don't know how expensive they are, and also I think you'd end up having to make the walk to campus (which is not something you want to do in January/February).

prices for studios/1 bedrooms here seem a little steeper than you'd want to spend on a student loan budget.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:14 pm

^ Yeah... those look uber pricey. Mommy isn't giving me her credit card.

The mini studios in downtown seem reasonable, though the parking costs extra. I've also seen some places on CL I might look into during ASD. Decisions, decisions.

Charlie.Home

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:19 am

How does the lawyering class operate? Group work?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 am

Charlie.Home wrote:How does the lawyering class operate? Group work?

Usually around 3 major assingments a semester. They basically determine your grade comprising of memo's and one oral argument. There's some bullshit research classes, and there some bullshit lectures. Not too much too it its as much of a blow off class as your going to get in law school. Some people gun I was perfectly content with my b+. Most the time the grades are only an A- and B+ while a prof might reward one student with an A.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 am

Charlie.Home wrote:How does the lawyering class operate? Group work?

No group work. The lawyering class is a small-section class worth two credits per semester, and it's graded just like all your other classes. In addition to the professor, each section has four "Honors Fellows," who are just TAs picked from the 2Ls and 3Ls who did well in Lawyering.

You have 2-3 assignments each semester that make up your grade, usually in the form of memos, motions, appellate briefs, etc. (depending on which lawyering professor you have). In the spring most (all?) sections have a moot oral argument, where they argue the issue on which they wrote the last brief in front of the lawyering professor (and sometimes the TAs). The TAs critique your written assignments and hold office hours where you can go and get help.

In addition, there is a research component to the class. Each class is assigned a librarian who teaches classes on legal research, and you have a few short (non-graded) research assignments. The research classes are insanely boring and no one cares about them.

I'd say lawyering is taken more seriously at Cornell than elsewhere (probably mostly because it's graded). Some people hate it; I thought it was useful and actually benefited a lot from it w/r/t my 1L and 2L summer jobs.

SpatulasRcool13

Postby SpatulasRcool13 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 am

iMisto wrote:^ Yeah... those look uber pricey. Mommy isn't giving me her credit card.

The mini studios in downtown seem reasonable, though the parking costs extra. I've also seen some places on CL I might look into during ASD. Decisions, decisions.

Haha, Mommy doesn't give me her credit card for anything. I live in a 4 bedroom, so its affordable, but your point is taken. Housing prices throughout Ithaca are surprisingly high.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm

SpatulasRcool13 wrote:
Haha, Mommy doesn't give me her credit card for anything. I live in a 4 bedroom, so its affordable, but your point is taken. Housing prices throughout Ithaca are surprisingly high.

How in the world do you study, Ke$ha???

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”