Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:12 pm

muddup wrote:
curious66 wrote:
muddup wrote:I got mine in april...when they REALLY surprised me. So I encourage you to wait for it

Good to know. Many schools require seat deposits are due mid-late April so, hoping was early April?

For me they sent it maybe 10 days before my michigan & columbia deadline? You should have enough time to negotiate . . . if the timing turns out that way for you

You can also negotiate prior to getting an offer- I met with them and showed them all my other offers prior to getting my initial package, and the package definitely came out higher as a result.

IAmTheTruth

Postby IAmTheTruth » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Just double checked, and my mistake: 3.79 is the 10% cutoff for the 1Ls. Median is 3.4784. My bad for posting without double checking.

BANNED FOR BEING A TROGLODYTE WHO ALTED SOLELY WITH THE INTENTION OF BEING AN ASSHAT

newbienew

Postby newbienew » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 pm

I'll take Unreasonable, Unprovoked Shots at Helpful Posters for $200, Alex.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:51 pm

redsox550 wrote:How hard is it to get approved by another law school? Can u give me some details regarding this? I'm guessing u still get a degree from Cornell and everything?

I assume you mean being admitted as a visiting student. I can only speak to applying for visiting student status at DC schools, but it did not seem that difficult. The only problem was that even though I applied very early (around Feb. for fall admission), I did not hear one way or the other until very late (July timeframe). For the most part, applying for visiting student status is a lot like applying for transfer, but with less reliance on your numbers and more reliance on the reasons why you want to study there (or so they said in the application materials). And yes, I will still receive a Cornell degree (and will be attending graduation in May at Cornell). However, if you spend too much time away from the Cornell, you are not eligible for Order of the Coif. I am not sure about latin honors. If either is important to you, then visiting away for more than one term may not be a good idea.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Yah, but externships don't have finals.

TITCR. Don't get fired and you have no need to worry about your credits for that semester.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm

CyLaw wrote:
redsox550 wrote:How hard is it to get approved by another law school? Can u give me some details regarding this? I'm guessing u still get a degree from Cornell and everything?

I assume you mean being admitted as a visiting student. I can only speak to applying for visiting student status at DC schools, but it did not seem that difficult. The only problem was that even though I applied very early (around Feb. for fall admission), I did not hear one way or the other until very late (July timeframe). For the most part, applying for visiting student status is a lot like applying for transfer, but with less reliance on your numbers and more reliance on the reasons why you want to study there (or so they said in the application materials). And yes, I will still receive a Cornell degree (and will be attending graduation in May at Cornell). However, if you spend too much time away from the Cornell, you are not eligible for Order of the Coif. I am not sure about latin honors. If either is important to you, then visiting away for more than one term may not be a good idea.

now how did u decide on "visiting student" status instead of transferring. is it possible to apply for both?

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Scholarship question:

How much of a negative impact does (relatively) high parental income have on Cornell's scholarship offers, even though I'm not getting one red cent from said parents?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:18 pm

nbj08 wrote:Scholarship question:

How much of a negative impact does (relatively) high parental income have on Cornell's scholarship offers, even though I'm not getting one red cent from said parents?

I don't think it matters for scholarship offers. Similar situation, very good scholarship. All about the numbers.

muddup

Postby muddup » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 pm

ANyone had Holden-Smith term 2 Civ pro? I know exam is closed-book, but is it essay? MC? I heard rumours that she steals MC from Clermont is that true?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm

muddup wrote:ANyone had Holden-Smith term 2 Civ pro? I know exam is closed-book, but is it essay? MC? I heard rumours that she steals MC from Clermont is that true?

She varies. Last year it was I don't remember what percentage multiple choice, and they were most certainly not Clermont. Her MC questions are notorious for being extremely difficult to understand/parse.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Underkuffler? anyone?

mths

Postby mths » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 am

msblaw89 wrote:Underkuffler? anyone?

she's awesome

go to class, listen, and throw in the kitchen sink on the exam

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 am

mths wrote:

she's awesome

If mths is saying go to class, you'd better motherfucking go to class.

Asleep

Postby Asleep » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:

she's awesome

+1

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Asleep wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:

she's awesome

+1

I'm assuming the kitchen sink will become apparent once class starts?

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Any clue whether or not I'll get any $ this cycle?

My stats are 167, 3.7. So... median/slightly above.

I'm willing to beg.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:43 pm

iMisto wrote:Any clue whether or not I'll get any $ this cycle?

I'm willing to beg.

Probably not unless you can show substantial need or are an URM. Otherwise, enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm willing to beg.

Do you have any other acceptances that you can leverage (so you can pretend that you would ever consider going to another school)? Also, congrats :D

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:54 am

BullShitWithBravado wrote:

I'm willing to beg.

Do you have any other acceptances that you can leverage (so you can pretend that you would ever consider going to another school)? Also, congrats :D

LOL Thank you!

I have BU w/ 60k, but everybody seems to agree that won't help. I'd be over the moon with 10k/yr from Cornell, and perfectly happy with 5k. :mrgreen: Just want something to take the edge off... (of course, I'll go regardless :lol: ).

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 am

iMisto wrote:
BullShitWithBravado wrote:

I'm willing to beg.

LOL Thank you!

I have BU w/ 60k, but everybody seems to agree that won't help. I'd be over the moon with 10k/yr from Cornell, and perfectly happy with 5k. :mrgreen: Just want something to take the edge off... (of course, I'll go regardless :lol: ).

I had a 1.69 3.56 so basically the flip of yours and I got 10k/yr. So I bet you'll get at least 5

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Alrighty, thank you!

I'm going to try and write something this weekend, and send it off to FinAid.

BlhBlhBlh

Postby BlhBlhBlh » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Are the Dean's List letters for 2Ls out yet? Does anyone know the top 10% GPA cutoff?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 pm

BlhBlhBlh wrote:Are the Dean's List letters for 2Ls out yet? Does anyone know the top 10% GPA cutoff?

No and no.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 pm

I have many questions that I'm sure have been answered before, but this thread is incredibly long.

What internet provider do most of you use in Ithaca? And the price range?

Is living downtown going to make getting to campus impossible by foot/bike? I heard Collegetown is loud, and I don't do loud.

Cell phones: Who do you guys prefer? iPhone too expensive for LS? Do any prepaid services work decently in Ithaca? Currently have an iPhone 4, but I'm not sure it'll last 3 more years. It's currently out of contract, and I'm not excited about renewing my contract and paying $76+ every month while I'm unemployed.

Thx!

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:07 pm

iMisto wrote:I have many questions that I'm sure have been answered before, but this thread is incredibly long.

What internet provider do most of you use in Ithaca? And the price range?

Is living downtown going to make getting to campus impossible by foot/bike? I heard Collegetown is loud, and I don't do loud.

Cell phones: Who do you guys prefer? iPhone too expensive for LS? Do any prepaid services work decently in Ithaca? Currently have an iPhone 4, but I'm not sure it'll last 3 more years. It's currently out of contract, and I'm not excited about renewing my contract and paying $76+ every month while I'm unemployed.

Thx!

Just my opinion
1. Time Warner - about $39 a month but I have one of the upgraded internet packages
2. Not impossible you could def bike or walk no problem in the warmer months, probably wouldn't be too fun right about now. But you get a free bus pass your first year and the bus runs downtown every 9 minutes
3. I have had the iPhone since it was birthed. Currently have the iPhone 5 wouldn't chose anything else

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”