Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm

oldad wrote:Where is it on the unofficial?


It would look like this:

Image

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:58 pm

So that means Deans List? When did the letters come last year?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Whats the purpose of a letter if you have the super fancy "* Dean's List"?

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:55 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Whats the purpose of a letter if you have the super fancy "* Dean's List"?

It looks so unofficial that I feel like its not true.

nbj08
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:27 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby nbj08 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Super noob question, but I'm not embarrassed:

What are the lockers like? Are they merely cubbyholes (like at Vandy) or do they have lockable doors?

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 pm

nbj08 wrote:Super noob question, but I'm not embarrassed:

What are the lockers like? Are they merely cubbyholes (like at Vandy) or do they have lockable doors?


Lockable doors. We also have coat lockers.

nbj08
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:27 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby nbj08 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
nbj08 wrote:Super noob question, but I'm not embarrassed:

What are the lockers like? Are they merely cubbyholes (like at Vandy) or do they have lockable doors?


Lockable doors. We also have coat lockers.



Two separate lockers? That's kind of cool.

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 pm

Yeah but we share the coat locker with one other person. I've never used mine, actually.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 pm

nbj08 wrote:Super noob question, but I'm not embarrassed:

What are the lockers like? Are they merely cubbyholes (like at Vandy) or do they have lockable doors?


Each student not living in Hughes gets two lockers, an individual book locker and a shared coat locker. Both have lockable doors, with the book locker being a built-in combination lock set by the school and the coat locker being a shared lock you and your lockermate provide (I'm guessing on the coat locker as I never used mine).

nbj08
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:27 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby nbj08 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm

So, if y'all never use your coat lockers, what do you do with your winter gear while in class?

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 pm

nbj08 wrote:So, if y'all never use your coat lockers, what do you do with your winter gear while in class?


Real men forego the winter gear.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:45 pm

nbj08 wrote:So, if y'all never use your coat lockers, what do you do with your winter gear while in class?


Some things I have done.
(a) put it on the back of a chair
(b) hang it in the back of the classroom on coat hangers
(c) move to DC for the last three semesters of law school

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:Yeah but we share the coat locker with one other person. I've never used mine, actually.

Neither have I. Honestly most people wear coats to class. It's nbd.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 am

CyLaw wrote:
nbj08 wrote:So, if y'all never use your coat lockers, what do you do with your winter gear while in class?


Some things I have done.
(a) put it on the back of a chair
(b) hang it in the back of the classroom on coat hangers
(c) move to DC for the last three semesters of law school


Not all of us can pull off (c).

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
nbj08 wrote:So, if y'all never use your coat lockers, what do you do with your winter gear while in class?


Some things I have done.
(a) put it on the back of a chair
(b) hang it in the back of the classroom on coat hangers
(c) move to DC for the last three semesters of law school


Not all of us can pull off (c).


is it possible to pull off C?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 am

redsox550 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
nbj08 wrote:So, if y'all never use your coat lockers, what do you do with your winter gear while in class?


Some things I have done.
(a) put it on the back of a chair
(b) hang it in the back of the classroom on coat hangers
(c) move to DC for the last three semesters of law school


Not all of us can pull off (c).


is it possible to pull off C?


CyLaw did. But IIRC it involved special circumstances.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 am

redsox550 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
nbj08 wrote:So, if y'all never use your coat lockers, what do you do with your winter gear while in class?


Some things I have done.
(a) put it on the back of a chair
(b) hang it in the back of the classroom on coat hangers
(c) move to DC for the last three semesters of law school


Not all of us can pull off (c).


is it possible to pull off C?


Yes, but to spend more than one semester away, you need to demonstrate "personal hardship" to the school and be admitted as a visiting student at another ABA approved school. For me, the personal hardship was my wife working in DC and not wanting to be separated for the remainder of law school.

Also, it is fairly easy to spend at a single semester away from the school through either a study aboard, a full semester externship, or a single semester visiting another school.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Some things I have done.
(a) put it on the back of a chair
(b) hang it in the back of the classroom on coat hangers
(c) move to DC for the last three semesters of law school


Not all of us can pull off (c).


is it possible to pull off C?


CyLaw did. But IIRC it involved special circumstances.


True, it was easier for me because "spousal separation" is an easy case to approve for the school. However, I would encourage anyone that really wants to spend time in another city or at another school, and has a good reason, to ask if it is possible. Of course, the administration is not going to approve most requests, but the worst thing that can happen is they say no. But, you should probably have some reason other than weather. :)

I also really encourage people to try to do an externship. It's a great experience and a good break from the academic load. However, be like my smarter classmates and do it the last semester of 3L.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 am

How hard is it to get approved by another law school? Can u give me some details regarding this? I'm guessing u still get a degree from Cornell and everything?

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:02 am

CyLaw wrote:

I also really encourage people to try to do an externship. It's a great experience and a good break from the academic load. However, be like my smarter classmates and do it the last semester of 3L.


What are the advantages of doing it at end of 3L as opposed to any other time?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 am

redsox550 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

I also really encourage people to try to do an externship. It's a great experience and a good break from the academic load. However, be like my smarter classmates and do it the last semester of 3L.


What are the advantages of doing it at end of 3L as opposed to any other time?


By spring 3L, guess how many fucks you will give?*


*Assuming you're not funemployed.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

I also really encourage people to try to do an externship. It's a great experience and a good break from the academic load. However, be like my smarter classmates and do it the last semester of 3L.


What are the advantages of doing it at end of 3L as opposed to any other time?


By spring 3L, guess how many fucks you will give?*


*Assuming you're not funemployed.


The way I calculate the amount of fucks I would give , would be the following. 3L spring = 0. However, I presume it is a lot easier to never show up to class and basically do wtvr u want, while in school. As opposed to an internship where u prob actually have to show up to work and do shit. Then again I get how being in a major city during the least important semester could be nice

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am

redsox550 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

I also really encourage people to try to do an externship. It's a great experience and a good break from the academic load. However, be like my smarter classmates and do it the last semester of 3L.


What are the advantages of doing it at end of 3L as opposed to any other time?


By spring 3L, guess how many fucks you will give?*


*Assuming you're not funemployed.


The way I calculate the amount of fucks I would give , would be the following. 3L spring = 0. However, I presume it is a lot easier to never show up to class and basically do wtvr u want, while in school. As opposed to an internship where u prob actually have to show up to work and do shit. Then again I get how being in a major city during the least important semester could be nice


Yah, but externships don't have finals.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby curious66 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm

muddup wrote:I got mine in april...when they REALLY surprised me. So I encourage you to wait for it


Good to know. Many schools require seat deposits are due mid-late April so, hoping was early April?

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby muddup » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 pm

curious66 wrote:
muddup wrote:I got mine in april...when they REALLY surprised me. So I encourage you to wait for it


Good to know. Many schools require seat deposits are due mid-late April so, hoping was early April?


For me they sent it maybe 10 days before my michigan & columbia deadline? You should have enough time to negotiate . . . if the timing turns out that way for you




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests