Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paraducks

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby paraducks » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:22 pm

studymaster wrote:
paraducks wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:you mean like undergrad/ grad classes?

i guess something like that. i studied chinese for four years and studied in china a couple of times... seems a shame to let it go down the tube. i feel like spanish would be easier to maintain so i'm interested in that, too...

What a coincidence.
I did 3 years of chinese, some in china, and spanish, both of which I want to keep up / improve..

Cornell also has some tempting looking study abroad options for chinese that I definitely are points in cornell's favor in my book

ya one of their programs is in suzhou which is where i went the summer after my freshman year.

como

Postby como » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Anyone done a summer at the Sorbonne? I'm really interested in this. Is it hard to get accepted to the program?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:22 pm

como wrote:Anyone done a summer at the Sorbonne? I'm really interested in this. Is it hard to get accepted to the program?

Do you have rich parents?

Postby 18488 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:25 pm

kn6542 wrote:
como wrote:Anyone done a summer at the Sorbonne? I'm really interested in this. Is it hard to get accepted to the program?

titcr

como

Postby como » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:42 pm

kn6542 wrote:

Not really, but I can come up with the money. Is it not worth it?

yuanyuan18

Postby yuanyuan18 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:12 am

Hello, Cornell is one of my top choices. I am really looking forward to the ASD on March 6th.

I have a question and I hope someone here could help me. My situation is bit unique. My mom who barely knows any English is going to stay with me as a dependent. Is there any free ESL class for adults in Ithaca area? I live in Chapel Hill now and the Durham Community College provides free ESL classes to new immigrants in the area and that is how my mom survived the first few months in the states. I wonder if Ithaca has similar things. Thank you!

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:17 am

yuanyuan18 wrote:Hello, Cornell is one of my top choices. I am really looking forward to the ASD on March 6th.

I have a question and I hope someone here could help me. My situation is bit unique. My mom who barely knows any English is going to stay with me as a dependent. Is there any free ESL class for adults in Ithaca area? I live in Chapel Hill now and the Durham Community College provides free ESL classes to new immigrants in the area and that is how my mom survived the first few months in the states. I wonder if Ithaca has similar things. Thank you!

http://www.isso.cornell.edu/ithacalife/english.php

seems like there are some options, but looks like there is quite a range of costs involved... scroll down and give some of these folks a call

yuanyuan18

Postby yuanyuan18 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:27 am

paraducks wrote:

i guess something like that. i studied chinese for four years and studied in china a couple of times... seems a shame to let it go down the tube. i feel like spanish would be easier to maintain so i'm interested in that, too...

Hey, there, I am native Chinese and very likely I will go to Cornell. So talk to me if you want to practice your Chinese!

yuanyuan18

Postby yuanyuan18 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:31 am

neskerdoo wrote:
yuanyuan18 wrote:Hello, Cornell is one of my top choices. I am really looking forward to the ASD on March 6th.

http://www.isso.cornell.edu/ithacalife/english.php

seems like there are some options, but looks like there is quite a range of costs involved... scroll down and give some of these folks a call

This is awesome! Seems like they do offer free ESL classes! (Only $100 for registration and buy your own books which is not bad at all!). Thank you, thank you!

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:56 pm

any recommendations regarding housing? i was thinking that living in hughes (or whatever it's called) seemed like a good way to meet people, but am open to anything. pros/cons?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:58 pm

como wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Not really, but I can come up with the money. Is it not worth it?

I'm sure it's very enjoyable. Whether it's worth it or not would depend on what you have to do to come up with the money. I certainly wouldn't borrow money for it, or give up some important thing to do it, as I don't think it would have a huge impact on the future of your career. My understanding is that it's rather short and ppl tend to just stay there for the reaminder of the summer and dick around in France. I think it's a lot of money for something that isn't essential or critical.

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:22 pm

yuanyuan18 wrote:
paraducks wrote:

Hey, there, I am native Chinese and very likely I will go to Cornell. So talk to me if you want to practice your Chinese!

好的。谢谢!

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:22 pm

paraducks wrote:any recommendations regarding housing? i was thinking that living in hughes (or whatever it's called) seemed like a good way to meet people, but am open to anything. pros/cons?

bump this question.

como

Postby como » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:47 pm

paraducks wrote:
paraducks wrote:any recommendations regarding housing? i was thinking that living in hughes (or whatever it's called) seemed like a good way to meet people, but am open to anything. pros/cons?

bump this question.

I'm thinking it is increasingly likely that I'm going to go the Hughes route. I think the pros just slightly outweigh the cons in my calculation.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:06 pm

paraducks wrote:

bump this question.

I think it is a good way to meet people, you just give up a little in terms of privacy. Personally, I kind of wanted to live away from campus because I wanted a separate life, but I think most ppl like Hughes and enjoy the proximity.

TammyG

Postby TammyG » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for taking questions.

I'm very passionate about feminism and hope to work for a non-profit women's organization or governmental organization. I'm very interested in Feminist Jurisprudence and Legal Theories classes. Is there a concentration in Feminist Jurisprudence available at Cornell? In the viewbook I received there was mention of a clinic focused on Women and the Law which seemed right up my alley - is this clinic still in existence and how is the Gender and the Law Journal?

Thanks.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm

LeahNic wrote:
paraducks wrote:

bump this question.

I think it is a good way to meet people, you just give up a little in terms of privacy. Personally, I kind of wanted to live away from campus because I wanted a separate life, but I think most ppl like Hughes and enjoy the proximity.

"So far as I know, I have not contracted rabies or herpes from the (Hughes) kitchen."
-Sbrown.

hth

dolcevita11

Postby dolcevita11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm

TammyG wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for taking questions.

I'm very passionate about feminism and hope to work for a non-profit women's organization or governmental organization. I'm very interested in Feminist Jurisprudence and Legal Theories classes. Is there a concentration in Feminist Jurisprudence available at Cornell? In the viewbook I received there was mention of a clinic focused on Women and the Law which seemed right up my alley - is this clinic still in existence and how is the Gender and the Law Journal?

Thanks.

+1

missv463

Postby missv463 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:05 pm

in regard to Hughes....

does everyone get the housing application in April (for those who put in their deposit)? I'm wondering if it matters whether or not I send my first deposit right away.

I think the accepted package said something about April, but I wanted to double-check that.

Thanks!
Last edited by missv463 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

como

Postby como » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:08 pm

missv463 wrote:in regard to Hughes....

does everyone get the housing application in April, or do we get it shortly after submitting the first deposit?

I think the accepted package said something about April, but I wanted to double-check that.

Thanks!

I remember it saying 'after deposit' -> incentive to submit deposit ASAP.

missv463

Postby missv463 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:11 pm

como wrote:
missv463 wrote:in regard to Hughes....

does everyone get the housing application in April, or do we get it shortly after submitting the first deposit?

Thanks!

I remember it saying 'after deposit' -> incentive to submit deposit ASAP.

right, i was thinking that initially, but then i thought, if that were the case, people getting accepted later on in the game (like March/early April) will not have a chance to apply to live in Hughes. so to me, it would also make sense to send everyone the application in April...?

como

Postby como » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Here is a quote from my acceptance package:

'Beginning in mid-April, detailed University housing information prepared by Residence Life is sent to accepted applicants who have paid the admission deposit. This information will include the housing application form.'

It looks like you're right. It will be in April, but only to those who have paid the deposit. The deposit is due by April 17th anyway, so that pretty much makes the 'get it in ASAP' conclusion that I made moot.

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:58 pm

i plan on bringing my car and was wondering:

a) what the parking situation will be like if i live in hughes

b) what driving is like during the winter. is it too icy/snowy? should i get snow tires?

como

Postby como » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 am

paraducks wrote:i plan on bringing my car and was wondering:

b) what driving is like during the winter. is it too icy/snowy? should i get snow tires?

All seasons should do, so long as your car isn't rear wheel drive. If it is...good luck!

paraducks

Postby paraducks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:22 am

como wrote:
paraducks wrote:i plan on bringing my car and was wondering:

All seasons should do, so long as your car isn't rear wheel drive. If it is...good luck!

... i have no idea. embarrassing. :oops:

EDIT: i just asked someone, who mocked me. it is 2wd. is 2wd really a bad idea? i am a pretty terrible driver as it is haha.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”