Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
redsox550

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby redsox550 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 pm

lets hope rossi gives his students a goodbye present and says screw the 3.3-3.5 curve. A's for all

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:18 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
redsox550 wrote:thanks for the answer. one more, did eisenber include multiple choice on topics that were not covered in his class. for instance, he wrote on our sylabus that "warranties" were "omitted" as well as much of statute of fruads. did he still test on the information not covered in class?

He said in class that he wouldn't.

Arbiter213 wrote:
gabriella97 wrote:How is Cornell graduates' job placements last year? What percentage of graduates lands in biglaw?

Last year was something like 65%. This year we're looking more like 70-75%.

Is this in reference to the classes of 2012 and 13?

13 and 14.

ETA: DeRossa claims last year was like 80%, but he's full of shit.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Glad to see SAs are up despite the earlier pessimism in this year's AJF thread. Thanks.

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
gabriella97 wrote:How is Cornell graduates' job placements last year? What percentage of graduates lands in biglaw?

I really think we'd be up to at least 80% if they fucking gave better instructions on how to bid.

Some people got screwed by the lottery, which sucked.

But a lot of people bid horribly and ended up with lots of firms they had (realistically) no shot in hell at getting a CB/Offer from, which could easily have been fixed by better instruction by Career Services.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:05 pm

KingRajesh wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

I really think we'd be up to at least 80% if they fucking gave better instructions on how to bid.

But a lot of people bid horribly and ended up with lots of firms they had (realistically) no shot in hell at getting a CB/Offer from, which could easily have been fixed by better instruction by Career Services.

To be fair, those people were retarded. They gave us the averages- why would people think they have a shot at only firms they were below average at?

And you could recover nicely from a bad lottery- I had only 11 firms coming out of it, as did another student I know of. I ended up with ~16 interviews, she I think had ~20 (though she's got insane stats).

muddup

Postby muddup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Am I screwed?

I took clermont's civ pro multiple choice today, and I felt like I maybe had 6 Qs I was confident with, 4 Qs I just plainly guessed, and 20 Qs that i had 2-3 choices on (mainly 2s). Is everyone supposed to feel this way?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 am

muddup wrote:Am I screwed?

I took clermont's civ pro multiple choice today, and I felt like I maybe had 6 Qs I was confident with, 4 Qs I just plainly guessed, and 20 Qs that i had 2-3 choices on (mainly 2s). Is everyone supposed to feel this way?

sounds about right brah

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 am

PinkCow wrote:
muddup wrote:Am I screwed?

sounds about right brah

muddup

Postby muddup » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Wait so everyone is supposed to feel this way?

Or I'm screwd?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:36 pm

muddup wrote:Wait so everyone is supposed to feel this way?

Or I'm screwd?

Both.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
muddup wrote:Wait so everyone is supposed to feel this way?

Or I'm screwd?

Both.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:38 pm

But seriously: The average on multiple choice is 15. if you guessed 50/50 and your outcome conformed to averages, you'd probably be around there.

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 am

I don't know how OCI works, so any help would be appreciated:

I'd prefer to work in the South (Atlanta, Charlotte) or DC, and I'm deciding between Vandy and Cornell. Vandy's biglaw placement was pretty bad for c/o '11 (I want to say ~30%), which makes me pretty worried. How good or poor of a decision would it be to go to Cornell (whose biglaw stats are better)? Theoretically, I wouldn't be competing against many of my fellow classmates, since Cornell's reputation is to self-select NYC. Is this sound reasoning or am I way off base?

Thank you all in advance!

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:17 pm

nbj08 wrote:I don't know how OCI works, so any help would be appreciated:

I'd prefer to work in the South (Atlanta, Charlotte) or DC, and I'm deciding between Vandy and Cornell. Vandy's biglaw placement was pretty bad for c/o '11 (I want to say ~30%), which makes me pretty worried. How good or poor of a decision would it be to go to Cornell (whose biglaw stats are better)? Theoretically, I wouldn't be competing against many of my fellow classmates, since Cornell's reputation is to self-select NYC. Is this sound reasoning or am I way off base?

Do you have ties to the south?

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:22 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

Yes, from North Florida.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 pm

nbj08 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Yes, from North Florida.

Then you should be find choosing Cornell. I am from the same general area and was between Vandy and Cornell. I went to both the ASD and although Cornell is only marginally ranked higher than Vandy, I have to admit Cornell seemed to be miles ahead. I really think there is a hard cut off at T14...I mean it is the T14 for a reason.

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:
redsox550 wrote:thanks for the answer. one more, did eisenber include multiple choice on topics that were not covered in his class. for instance, he wrote on our sylabus that "warranties" were "omitted" as well as much of statute of fruads. did he still test on the information not covered in class?

He said in class that he wouldn't.

Arbiter213 wrote:

Is this in reference to the classes of 2012 and 13?

13 and 14.

ETA: DeRossa claims last year was like 80%, but he's full of shit.

These numbers seem like a big improvement compared to c/o 2011's 38.8%, according to LST:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell&show=ABA

Has biglaw placement really gotten that much better? Or was c/o 2011 really unlucky?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 pm

nbj08 wrote:
Has biglaw placement really gotten that much better? Or was c/o 2011 really unlucky?

Sorry, that was total JD required full time employment, I think. Not entirely clear. And yes, hiring is up that much.

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
nbj08 wrote:

Sorry, that was total JD required full time employment, I think. Not entirely clear. And yes, hiring is up that much.

So, if you had to guess, what percentage are getting biglaw these days?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 pm

nbj08 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
nbj08 wrote:

50%. Minimum.

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 am

When does one find out about scholarships?

Seems like UMich and UVa kids are already finding out. Does Cornell wait until you submit your FinAid forms at the beginning of the year?

Edit: Should this question be more appropriately placed in the Financial Aid forum?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:38 am

nbj08 wrote:When does one find out about scholarships?

Seems like UMich and UVa kids are already finding out. Does Cornell wait until you submit your FinAid forms at the beginning of the year?

Edit: Should this question be more appropriately placed in the Financial Aid forum?

naw people from Cornell probably haven't been frequenting TLS as much since we just took finals. However, it took forever for me to find out. Accepted January and didn't find out until April. Thought I wasn't getting anything, but Cornell was generous. Your probably going to have to be patient.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
nbj08 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
nbj08 wrote:

50%. Minimum.

wut

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:55 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

To be fair, those people were retarded. They gave us the averages- why would people think they have a shot at only firms they were below average at?

And you could recover nicely from a bad lottery- I had only 11 firms coming out of it, as did another student I know of. I ended up with ~16 interviews, she I think had ~20 (though she's got insane stats).

To be fair, career services gave some people bad advice. Dean DeRosa and most of the rest of the career services staff have been out of the game for a while, so they don't always give the best advice. I know that they gave me some advice that was totally wrong and I was lucky that it didn't end up screwing me over. Just because some people don't have jobs doesn't mean they're retarded, some people just got bad advice and had shitty luck on top of it. AJF is a total shit show and it's almost impossible to know how it will turn out until you're done with callbacks.

Arbiter, just curious, where did you get the stats from last year and this year?

nbj08

Postby nbj08 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:20 am

To be fair, career services gave some people bad advice. Dean DeRosa and most of the rest of the career services staff have been out of the game for a while, so they don't always give the best advice. I know that they gave me some advice that was totally wrong and I was lucky that it didn't end up screwing me over. Just because some people don't have jobs doesn't mean they're retarded, some people just got bad advice and had shitty luck on top of it. AJF is a total shit show and it's almost impossible to know how it will turn out until you're done with callbacks.

If you're at liberty to do so, could you please elaborate?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”