Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Swimp » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:45 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Does this bother you as a student that your professor doesn't care enough about his class to manufacture an original exam? You're paying potentially $200k to attend this prestigious university and the professor doesn't care enough to not life his test material from a hornbook?


Yes, what about the hallowed values of legal scholarship!?!

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:46 am

Three troll responses in a row? That your professor doesn't give care to his own exam really doesn't give you any pause whatsoever? Can you explain why?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 am

PinkCow wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Does this bother you as a student that your professor doesn't care enough about his class to manufacture an original exam? You're paying potentially $200k to attend this prestigious university and the professor doesn't care enough to not life his test material from a hornbook?


Does it bother you that you're dumb?


180. Hope things are going well for you out east, bud.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:02 am

cahwc12 wrote:Three troll responses in a row? That your professor doesn't give care to his own exam really doesn't give you any pause whatsoever? Can you explain why?


Umm.. Given that LS has a curve, and that even students who work really hard end up below median, I'd say NO, it does NOT give me pause. The professor is essentially giving you a shot at doing really well on an exam - no tricks. Get the hornbook, read it, come to class, and you have a decent shot at the exam.

Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Swimp » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:23 am

cahwc12 wrote:Three troll responses in a row? That your professor doesn't give care to his own exam really doesn't give you any pause whatsoever? Can you explain why?


Why does this bother you so much? I'm honestly asking.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:53 am

It would bother me if there wasn't a curve and students could work hard for good grades - or if I attended a school w/o grades. But, since the amount of work you do is slightly irrelevant, I'm very much down with this idea of ripped questions. 8)

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:01 am

iMisto wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Three troll responses in a row? That your professor doesn't give care to his own exam really doesn't give you any pause whatsoever? Can you explain why?


Umm.. Given that LS has a curve, and that even students who work really hard end up below median, I'd say NO, it does NOT give me pause. The professor is essentially giving you a shot at doing really well on an exam - no tricks. Get the hornbook, read it, come to class, and you have a decent shot at the exam.


Thanks, this is actually a pretty reasonable explanation.


Swimp wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Three troll responses in a row? That your professor doesn't give care to his own exam really doesn't give you any pause whatsoever? Can you explain why?


Why does this bother you so much? I'm honestly asking.


It bothered me because I didn't think of an alternative to the professor just being lazy. iMisto's response makes a lot of sense. I just hear a lot about how Cornell is a very studious-friendly school, and I would be disappointed if I found out my test came from a hornbook if it was because the professor didn't care enough to make his own exam. Now, since the reason is because he's trying to eliminate some of the subjectivity/randomness/etc in grading, that seems good.
Last edited by cahwc12 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:04 am

cahwc12 wrote:
iMisto wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Three troll responses in a row? That your professor doesn't give care to his own exam really doesn't give you any pause whatsoever? Can you explain why?


Umm.. Given that LS has a curve, and that even students who work really hard end up below median, I'd say NO, it does NOT give me pause. The professor is essentially giving you a shot at doing really well on an exam - no tricks. Get the hornbook, read it, come to class, and you have a decent shot at the exam.


Thanks, this is actually a pretty reasonable explanation.


This is a first for me. I feel like I just won a beauty pageant!

I would like to thank TLS, and lil baby jebus.

In all seriousness, you are welcome. :wink:

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:09 am

iMisto wrote:
This is a first for me. I feel like I just won a beauty pageant!

I would like to thank TLS, and lil baby jebus.

In all seriousness, you are welcome. :wink:


Now we just need the mods to change the thread title to "0Ls taking questions."

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:31 am

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
iMisto wrote:
This is a first for me. I feel like I just won a beauty pageant!

I would like to thank TLS, and lil baby jebus.

In all seriousness, you are welcome. :wink:


Now we just need the mods to change the thread title to "0Ls taking questions."


ouch

Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Swimp » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:38 am

cahwc12 wrote:It bothered me because I didn't think of an alternative to the professor just being lazy. iMisto's response makes a lot of sense. I just hear a lot about how Cornell is a very studious-friendly school, and I would be disappointed if I found out my test came from a hornbook if it was because the professor didn't care enough to make his own exam. Now, since the reason is because he's trying to eliminate some of the subjectivity/randomness/etc in grading, that seems good.


I'm not sure what you mean by "studious-friendly." That sounds kind of like you're paraphrasing admissions boilerplate. My view is: who cares if the guy's lazy or trying to be helpful or whatever? Maybe it's notable if something he's doing is helpful to students in the know, but from my perspective his intentions are incidental. I'm a 0L and, please, if any law students want to put me in my place, feel free, but from what I can tell, there seem to be two broad areas of agreement among most law students on this board. 1) You're gonna get pretty much the same education wherever you go. 2) It won't do much to prepare you to practice law. You're paying for a credential. At the end of 3 years, they hand you a transcript and a diploma and, depending on the grades on the transcript and the school's name on the diploma, you qualify for different jobs. The job is the goal. I don't buy into the liberal-arts intellectual self-improvement angle when it comes to law school. I can take care of that stuff in my free time if I want.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 am

Swimp wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:It bothered me because I didn't think of an alternative to the professor just being lazy. iMisto's response makes a lot of sense. I just hear a lot about how Cornell is a very studious-friendly school, and I would be disappointed if I found out my test came from a hornbook if it was because the professor didn't care enough to make his own exam. Now, since the reason is because he's trying to eliminate some of the subjectivity/randomness/etc in grading, that seems good.


I'm not sure what you mean by "studious-friendly." That sounds kind of like you're paraphrasing admissions boilerplate. My view is: who cares if the guy's lazy or trying to be helpful or whatever? Maybe it's notable if something he's doing is helpful to students in the know, but from my perspective his intentions are incidental. I'm a 0L and, please, if any law students want to put me in my place, feel free, but from what I can tell, there seem to be two broad areas of agreement among most law students on this board. 1) You're gonna get pretty much the same education wherever you go. 2) It won't do much to prepare you to practice law. You're paying for a credential. At the end of 3 years, they hand you a transcript and a diploma and, depending on the grades on the transcript and the school's name on the diploma, you qualify for different jobs. The job is the goal. I don't buy into the liberal-arts intellectual self-improvement angle when it comes to law school. I can take care of that stuff in my free time if I want.


C'mon... he's just wondering why a professor wouldn't care a little bit more about creating his/her own exams. I completely understand why somebody might feel cheated out of 250K getting an exam like that, but they also haven't learned the LS game yet...

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:59 am

iMisto wrote:
Swimp wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:It bothered me because I didn't think of an alternative to the professor just being lazy. iMisto's response makes a lot of sense. I just hear a lot about how Cornell is a very studious-friendly school, and I would be disappointed if I found out my test came from a hornbook if it was because the professor didn't care enough to make his own exam. Now, since the reason is because he's trying to eliminate some of the subjectivity/randomness/etc in grading, that seems good.


I'm not sure what you mean by "studious-friendly." That sounds kind of like you're paraphrasing admissions boilerplate. My view is: who cares if the guy's lazy or trying to be helpful or whatever? Maybe it's notable if something he's doing is helpful to students in the know, but from my perspective his intentions are incidental. I'm a 0L and, please, if any law students want to put me in my place, feel free, but from what I can tell, there seem to be two broad areas of agreement among most law students on this board. 1) You're gonna get pretty much the same education wherever you go. 2) It won't do much to prepare you to practice law. You're paying for a credential. At the end of 3 years, they hand you a transcript and a diploma and, depending on the grades on the transcript and the school's name on the diploma, you qualify for different jobs. The job is the goal. I don't buy into the liberal-arts intellectual self-improvement angle when it comes to law school. I can take care of that stuff in my free time if I want.


C'mon... he's just wondering why a professor wouldn't care a little bit more about creating his/her own exams. I completely understand why somebody might feel cheated out of 250K getting an exam like that, but they also haven't learned the LS game yet...


do any of you actually go to Cornell?

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Nope. :lol:

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Yes, the goal is the job, unless you want to become an academic/professor. And TBF, law school actually is a very intellectually stimulating experience and LOL if you think you are capable of this kind of intellectual stimulation on your own....your not and you won't realize that until you go to law school. Also, I think the education you receive at the T14 is remarkably better than other schools

Swimp wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:It bothered me because I didn't think of an alternative to the professor just being lazy. iMisto's response makes a lot of sense. I just hear a lot about how Cornell is a very studious-friendly school, and I would be disappointed if I found out my test came from a hornbook if it was because the professor didn't care enough to make his own exam. Now, since the reason is because he's trying to eliminate some of the subjectivity/randomness/etc in grading, that seems good.


I'm not sure what you mean by "studious-friendly." That sounds kind of like you're paraphrasing admissions boilerplate. My view is: who cares if the guy's lazy or trying to be helpful or whatever? Maybe it's notable if something he's doing is helpful to students in the know, but from my perspective his intentions are incidental. I'm a 0L and, please, if any law students want to put me in my place, feel free, but from what I can tell, there seem to be two broad areas of agreement among most law students on this board. 1) You're gonna get pretty much the same education wherever you go. 2) It won't do much to prepare you to practice law. You're paying for a credential. At the end of 3 years, they hand you a transcript and a diploma and, depending on the grades on the transcript and the school's name on the diploma, you qualify for different jobs. The job is the goal. I don't buy into the liberal-arts intellectual self-improvement angle when it comes to law school. I can take care of that stuff in my free time if I want.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:14 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Yes, the goal is the job, unless you want to become an academic/professor. And TBF, law school actually is a very intellectually stimulating experience and LOL if you think you are capable of this kind of intellectual stimulation on your own....your not and you won't realize that until you go to law school. Also, I think the education you receive at the T14 is remarkably better than other schools


Guurl is speak'n some TRUTH.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby spiritniffler189 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:45 pm

1L wondering how I can make sure I understand Civ Pro enough for exams. Feel okay with the material until Clermont starts asking questions. Have Glannon's E&E, any other suggestions?

transfer2014
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby transfer2014 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:09 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:1L wondering how I can make sure I understand Civ Pro enough for exams. Feel okay with the material until Clermont starts asking questions. Have Glannon's E&E, any other suggestions?


It's only 3 weeks in, you can't understand the PEDAGOGICAL SCHEME yet!

User avatar
BullShitWithBravado
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:01 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:1L wondering how I can make sure I understand Civ Pro enough for exams. Feel okay with the material until Clermont starts asking questions. Have Glannon's E&E, any other suggestions?


The only supplement worth having for him is the BLS. Follow along in that and keep up with the reading and you'll be fine. You're supposed be confused/unsure of what's going on at this point. I'd be more concerned if you thought you understood everything.

When you read, pay close attention to the questions in the book and write down the answers he gives during class. You'll be seeing variations of these on the final.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:26 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:1L wondering how I can make sure I understand Civ Pro enough for exams. Feel okay with the material until Clermont starts asking questions. Have Glannon's E&E, any other suggestions?


The only supplement worth having for him is the BLS. Follow along in that and keep up with the reading and you'll be fine. You're supposed be confused/unsure of what's going on at this point. I'd be more concerned if you thought you understood everything.

When you read, pay close attention to the questions in the book and write down the answers he gives during class. You'll be seeing variations of these on the final.


I would actually disagree- Clermont's concise hornbook (same series as the hillman one) is outstanding.

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Can any 2Ls weigh in on how AJF/OCI were this year? Thanks.

ETA: or maybe this would be better served in the LE forum?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:23 am

HBBJohnStamos wrote:Can any 2Ls weigh in on how AJF/OCI were this year? Thanks.

ETA: or maybe this would be better served in the LE forum?


It went fine. Tend your own garden.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:37 am

Can you elaborate?? Cornell being my first choice, I'm curious as to how many people got offers from large firms, etc.

( 0L asking question!! :D )

User avatar
breadbucket
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby breadbucket » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 pm

iMisto wrote:Can you elaborate?? Cornell being my first choice, I'm curious as to how many people got offers from large firms, etc.

( 0L asking question!! :D )

Anything you get is going to be purely anecdotal and probably unreliable, you will just have to wait for the actual data to be sure

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby iMisto » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:32 am

breadbucket wrote:
iMisto wrote:Can you elaborate?? Cornell being my first choice, I'm curious as to how many people got offers from large firms, etc.

( 0L asking question!! :D )

Anything you get is going to be purely anecdotal and probably unreliable, you will just have to wait for the actual data to be sure


Thank you. When does such information generally become available?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest