Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:33 pm

msblaw89 wrote:will medians be posted at orientation?

Medians? Like, of the 1L class for admission? No.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Probably a little naive, but I just came across LEEWS. Any rising 2Ls use LEEWS and have positive or negative things to say about it?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:45 pm

msblaw89 wrote:How would you describe Wendel's personality? Is he a jerk?

No. He cold-calls a lot, and if he thinks you're talking out of your ass he'll let you know, but he likes teaching and likes his students. I loved having him for torts (though I hear his ethics class is less fun).

mths

Postby mths » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:59 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Probably a little naive, but I just came across LEEWS. Any rising 2Ls use LEEWS and have positive or negative things to say about it?

I wouldn't bother. Profs have their own preferences for how you wrote an exam.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm

mths wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Probably a little naive, but I just came across LEEWS. Any rising 2Ls use LEEWS and have positive or negative things to say about it?

If you ask, will most professors let you know the style they prefer?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
mths wrote:

If you ask, will most professors let you know the style they prefer?

Yes, most will. You can also surmise it from the years and years of exams that are avaialble for Professors that don't Rhyme with Solden-Hith (or the other newer professors like Frakes, but Frakes' exam was super straightforward)

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Would it be beneficial to have your own copy of Black's Dictionary?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:03 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Would it be beneficial to have your own copy of Black's Dictionary?

It depends. Coming from a tech background, my vocabulary was horrible. For me personally, having Black's Law on my iPhone and iPad made it easier to look up unfamiliar words and to tie related concepts together. But, you can also use Black's Law on your free Westlaw account to look up the words. I just like to have the Black's Law Dictionary apps for offline use.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 pm

So, unlike last year I will not have the necessary funds to purchase all of my casebooks before class starts. I'm also not even sure where to find a book list for 2L courses. Anyways I was wondering how crucial it is to have the books right away. I know in 1L there were cold calls on day one of class but I'd imagine that 2L is a little more relaxed. Any advice would be appreciated!

mths

Postby mths » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:23 pm

FlanAl wrote:So, unlike last year I will not have the necessary funds to purchase all of my casebooks before class starts. I'm also not even sure where to find a book list for 2L courses. Anyways I was wondering how crucial it is to have the books right away. I know in 1L there were cold calls on day one of class but I'd imagine that 2L is a little more relaxed. Any advice would be appreciated!

Just say no to the call if you don't know it. Plus profs don't usually call right away cause people drop out and add into the classes for a bit.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 pm

FlanAl wrote:So, unlike last year I will not have the necessary funds to purchase all of my casebooks before class starts. I'm also not even sure where to find a book list for 2L courses. Anyways I was wondering how crucial it is to have the books right away. I know in 1L there were cold calls on day one of class but I'd imagine that 2L is a little more relaxed. Any advice would be appreciated!

There are cold calls on day one in 2L.

You can borrow the book from the library to read for class.
Last edited by CyLaw on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:26 pm

mths wrote:

Just say no to the call if you don't know it. Plus profs don't usually call right away cause people drop out and add into the classes for a bit.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 pm

CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote:

:lol: I'm not about to start caring now

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 pm

mths wrote: :lol: I'm not about to start caring now

First time I met you you said I was gunning way too hard. I think it was because I had been to the library in the first week.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 pm

CyLaw wrote:

where do I find the reading assignments?!?! ahhhh I thought everything would just be awesome after 1L

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:59 pm

FlanAl wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

where do I find the reading assignments?!?! ahhhh I thought everything would just be awesome after 1L

Check scoops on Friday.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 am

CyLaw wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Check scoops on Friday.

cool, thanks!

mths

Postby mths » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 am

FlanAl wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Dude chill. They'll come to you.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 am

Arbiter213 wrote:

First time I met you you said I was gunning way too hard. I think it was because I had been to the library in the first week.

The question is why was I in the library?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 am

mths wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Lost? Confused? Passing through to CT? Trolling 1Ls?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:24 pm

mths wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

No it was at the brb and you were already quite drunk

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 pm

got some questions about buying my 1L books.

are all the required 1L books for sale on-campus at the cornell bookstore?

are the prices on amazon generally fair for new books?

i've lagged on buying books and am just starting, don't really know where to start in terms of not getting ripped off paying sticker for all of them.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:41 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:got some questions about buying my 1L books.

i've lagged on buying books and am just starting, don't really know where to start in terms of not getting ripped off paying sticker for all of them.

I got a book off half.com it was labeled like new and I looked through it, it had no markings at all and it basically had only been used a few times. I got the book for like 80 dollars less than the book was priced new on amazon. Make sure you shop around a little bit there's some deals to be had. I'm assuming you want books with no markings if you don't care they can get a lot cheaper than even that.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 am

horrorbusiness wrote:got some questions about buying my 1L books.

1L here too but I can chime in.

1. yes - go to the store online, click on "buy textbooks" and your book list will be there in full. I ordered mine online and picked em up in person.

2. It depends. Generally for new ones they are priced about the same, but I found my contracts casebook from an independent seller on amazon for brand new about 70 bucks cheaper than it was listed anywhere else.

muddup

Postby muddup » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Sorry I'm too lazy to go through the thread, but in short what should I know about my 1L profs?

Heise
Meyler
Clermont
Eisenberg
Mooney

Much appreciated!
Muddup

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”