Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HBBJohnStamos

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Reviews on the following professors? Also, if any 2Ls (or 3Ls for that matter) are selling old textbooks, please PM me with the condition, price, and any advice. Thank you so much! :)

(I realize most of these have been reviewed, but any extra information would be greatly appreciated.)

Deleted.
Last edited by Miss_Sunshine on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 am

HBBJohnStamos wrote:Because clsevals is taking forever to get back to me with a password, could someone give me the lowdown on these profs?

Heise
Eisenberg
Mooney
Meyler

Not to poison you, but Mooney is a terrible lawyering prof.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:39 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:Because clsevals is taking forever to get back to me with a password, could someone give me the lowdown on these profs?

Heise
Eisenberg
Mooney
Meyler

Reasonable minds may differ. There's a certain style to her teachings. Such as: don't start the assignments until the weekend before they're due, because she will probably change her mind about what she wants and what the assignment means.

Cheers.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:43 am

clone22 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Heise
Eisenberg
Mooney
Meyler

Reasonable minds may differ. There's a certain style to her teachings. Such as: don't start the assignments until the weekend before they're due, because she will probably change her mind about what she wants and what the assignment means.

Cheers.

Tip One: Never hand in anything late.
Tip Two: CREAC (You will find out what this is your first day of class. Follow the CREAC format to the letter and you'll be fine.)
Tip Three: See user name.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:09 am

clone22 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Heise
Eisenberg
Mooney
Meyler

Cheers.

Translation: She punishes people who work the way I do :P

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
clone22 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Heise
Eisenberg
Mooney
Meyler

Cheers.

Translation: She punishes people who work the way I do :P everyone should do in law school

FTFY

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 am

Also worth noting she does NOT teach bluebooking beyond the minimum. If you want to gun for law review, that's your business. So unlike every other section, you will NOT have bluebook tabbing classes.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:51 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Also worth noting she does NOT teach bluebooking beyond the minimum. If you want to gun for law review, that's your business. So unlike every other section, you will NOT have bluebook tabbing classes.

She assigns Blue Booking assignments online though. However, the fact that they're ungraded and not due until the end of each semester means that most people leave them until the last minute and don't put much effort into the exercises. If you want to benefit from the exercises, it's up to you to put in the effort.

Also, if you want to learn how to tab your Blue Book, just ask someone in another section or an upperclassmen to show you theirs. I did this and it was fine. No one really knows how to cite until they go through the writing competition anyway.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Also worth noting she does NOT teach bluebooking beyond the minimum. If you want to gun for law review, that's your business. So unlike every other section, you will NOT have bluebook tabbing classes.

She assigns Blue Booking assignments online though. However, the fact that they're ungraded and not due until the end of each semester means that most people leave them until the last minute and don't put much effort into the exercises. If you want to benefit from the exercises, it's up to you to put in the effort.

Also, if you want to learn how to tab your Blue Book, just ask someone in another section or an upperclassmen to show you theirs. I did this and it was fine. No one really knows how to cite until they go through the writing competition anyway.

Wut. Bluebook tabbing? What kind of class teaches you how to tab a book? Just put tabs where the contents change...I'm not sure I follow.

mths

Postby mths » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:10 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:

I don't even think I own a bluebook anymore.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Look, I'm not saying those matter in the end, just pointing out a difference

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:09 pm

Why do schools occasionally have visiting professors?

T00L

Postby T00L » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:54 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Why do schools occasionally have visiting professors from BLS?

enhanced.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:56 pm

lol

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:01 pm

T00L wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Why do schools occasionally have visiting professors from BLS?

enhanced.

I like the enhancement haha

eat-train-grow

Postby eat-train-grow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:26 pm

2L here who came back to Ithaca to get away from the crazy after a long week of interviews. If anyone has any questions or wants to meet, feel free to pm me. I'm leaving either tomorrow night or Sunday as I will be living out of hotels in NYC next week.

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:35 pm

People are freaking out in the AJF thread. How is it looking so far for people you know?

T00L

Postby T00L » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:58 am

I have a year off-campus lease on an apt. What are the summer sub-leasing prospects?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:50 am

T00L wrote:I have a year off-campus lease on an apt. What are the summer sub-leasing prospects?

not great, but at least you'll have somewhere to leave your stuff. Basically the listserv completely blows up with people looking to sublet for summer and I don't know anyone who subletted.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:00 am

T00L wrote:I have a year off-campus lease on an apt. What are the summer sub-leasing prospects?

You will be very lucky to be able to sublet your apartment. In addition to the list-serv, craigslist explodes too. There is just way, way more supply than demand. I was able to sublet mine for 2/3 of the cost, but I managed to have a very uniquely nice apartment and it was exactly what the sublettor was looking for. Almost everyone I know was not as lucky.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Advertizing:

Updated list of books/materials available:

Constitutional Law
Constitutional Law, Stone, 6th Ed.
Constitutional Law, Chemerinsky, 3rd Ed.

Torts - Heise
Case & Materials on Torts, Epstein, 9th Ed.

LEEWS
Last edited by Skyhook on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:59 pm

PinkCow wrote:

You will be very lucky to be able to sublet your apartment. In addition to the list-serv, craigslist explodes too. There is just way, way more supply than demand. I was able to sublet mine for 2/3 of the cost, but I managed to have a very uniquely nice apartment and it was exactly what the sublettor was looking for. Almost everyone I know was not as lucky.

I sublet mine both summers, but yes, I did so at a substantial discount.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:54 pm

How would you describe Wendel's personality? Is he a jerk?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:22 pm

will medians be posted at orientation?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”