Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Westmalle

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:38 pm

bishopus wrote:Very helpful thread, thanks guys.

I have a probably dumb question about clerking opportunities if I come to Cornell: what are my odds of clerking for the appeals court in Albany? Top ~10% of the class? Do I need to ace legal writing? Be a horrible, unforgivable gunner?

Why would you apologize? Own your gunnerness.

Westmalle

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 pm

What's up Amy? Are you still considering Cornell?

Westmalle

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:47 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
Westmalle wrote:What's up Amy? Are you still considering Cornell?

Unsure, there is a slight chance I might come to Cornell. Still undecided....

Are you going to any of their ASDs? They gave me a $300 stipend, and I imagine they would give you the same.

dolcevita11

Postby dolcevita11 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks for taking time out to answer all these questions.

i was admitted into Cornell already as well. I am still in the process of hearing back form schools, so I am long ways from making a decision. But basically, Im not 100% sure what kind of law I want to study.

What I am looking for, is a top, well-rounded school that will give me various options. I am considering public interest law, and was curious if Cornell was well developed in that area.

I am not sure though so in terms of their program, would you consider CL to be a well-rounded school, or do they tend to focus on a few specialtys?

Thanks!

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:57 pm

Westmalle wrote:
woeisme wrote:
Westmalle wrote:I have read a lot about BRB in the Class of 2011 thread. What is it?

Haha, I STILL haven't gone! I will one of these days - it's a bar on campus I guess. The BIG RED BARN.

That sounds awesome. How can you resist the allure of partying in a big red barn? If I go to Cornell Law and there are no chickens randomly walking around and drinking unattended beers, i will demand my tuition back!

BRB is a grad-students-only hangout that I guess serves food all day long... the part we like is that every Friday at 4:30, it serves free soda and snacks and sells beers for $1 until 7:30... and last week, they followed that up with 3.5 more hours of karaoke and $1 beers... I am starting to think we might be getting banned soon, though...

Westmalle

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:07 pm

neskerdoo wrote:BRB is a grad-students-only hangout that I guess serves food all day long... the part we like is that every Friday at 4:30, it serves free soda and snacks and sells beers for $1 until 7:30... and last week, they followed that up with 3.5 more hours of karaoke and $1 beers... I am starting to think we might be getting banned soon, though...

Thanks for the info. If I choose to go to Cornell, it would be in part due to its reputation for having a close-knit, collegial student body. Your description of the BRB certainly sounds as if it helps foster this.

Btw, if you guys do get banned, it would be epic. Future Cornellian poets will write of the Class of 2011 and their debauchery, for sure.

Edit: What beers do they serve? Just the standard Bud/Miller/Coors, or do they have any good craft beers? This is important.

VictoryFord

Postby VictoryFord » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:11 pm

$1=pbr

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:32 pm

Westmalle wrote:
woeisme wrote:
Westmalle wrote:What do you guys think about the prospects for a 1L biglaw SA position? Any anecdotal evidence, particularly for IP?

Eh, this economy is rough first of all, though it might clear up. But more significantly, what's your UG in? If it isn't engineering-related, chances are not too good. Chances are better if it is. And your 1L GPA will matter quite a bit too.

I will have a PhD in Electrical Engineering. Do you know of any classmates trying to get, or have been offered, a 1L SA in IP?

I don't. I know of 2Ls who have gotten sick IP jobs though. You won't have better options for 1L though. I mean you can argue that HYS might be better for 1L jobs, and I guess they probably would be, but it's kind of a crap shoot anyway. You'll definitely have an edge with your PhD, though.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:36 pm

bishopus wrote:Very helpful thread, thanks guys.

I have a probably dumb question about clerking opportunities if I come to Cornell: what are my odds of clerking for the appeals court in Albany? Top ~10% of the class? Do I need to ace legal writing? Be a horrible, unforgivable gunner?

I don't have evidence to back this up, so take it with a grain of salt, ... but I'd think that Cornell would be an AWESOME choice if you're hoping to clerk in Albany (after all, it is the closest "prestigious" school). I'm not sure how well you'd have to. I'd think you might be able to snag it outside of the top 10. I'm sure there are other factors that will go into it. I'm kind of talking out of my ass though, ... I'm really not informed on this.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:38 pm

dolcevita11 wrote:Thanks for taking time out to answer all these questions.

i was admitted into Cornell already as well. I am still in the process of hearing back form schools, so I am long ways from making a decision. But basically, Im not 100% sure what kind of law I want to study.

What I am looking for, is a top, well-rounded school that will give me various options. I am considering public interest law, and was curious if Cornell was well developed in that area.

I am not sure though so in terms of their program, would you consider CL to be a well-rounded school, or do they tend to focus on a few specialtys?

Thanks!

Jesus Christ. What's your first language?

Heh. Just kidding. Kind of.

But yeah, Cornell is for sure well-rounded. I'd think that most schools are. Cornell has a great public interest grant program. Definitely don't worry about that.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:42 pm

VictoryFord wrote:$1=pbr

no, not pbr... But I confess I am a beertard, and I don't remember what they have, though I think one is from Saranac... I do know that the $2 offering is Hoegaarden...

Westmalle

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:49 pm

woeisme wrote:I don't. I know of 2Ls who have gotten sick IP jobs though. You won't have better options for 1L though. I mean you can argue that HYS might be better for 1L jobs, and I guess they probably would be, but it's kind of a crap shoot anyway. You'll definitely have an edge with your PhD, though.

Thanks!

And for god's sake, go to the BRB next week and bless your classmates with your presence. Just kidding. Kind of.

Westmalle

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 pm

neskerdoo wrote:

no, not pbr... But I confess I am a beertard, and I don't remember what they have, though I think one is from Saranac... I do know that the $2 offering is Hoegaarden...

I am a beernerd. $2 Hoegaarden is a good deal, as long as they keep the fruit out of it.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:09 pm

Westmalle wrote:
woeisme wrote:I don't. I know of 2Ls who have gotten sick IP jobs though. You won't have better options for 1L though. I mean you can argue that HYS might be better for 1L jobs, and I guess they probably would be, but it's kind of a crap shoot anyway. You'll definitely have an edge with your PhD, though.

Thanks!

And for god's sake, go to the BRB next week and bless your classmates with your presence. Just kidding. Kind of.

Pawnage 8)

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:12 pm

we tell woeisme to come all the time... yesterday, we told him right before we left for it and he still said no...

Westmalle

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:25 pm

neskerdoo wrote:we tell woeisme to come all the time... yesterday, we told him right before we left for it and he still said no...

You should have applied the Socratic Method on him. Next time bust out an awesome hypo.

dolcevita11

Postby dolcevita11 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:00 am

woeisme wrote:

Thanks!

But yeah, Cornell is for sure well-rounded. I'd think that most schools are. Cornell has a great public interest grant program. Definitely don't worry about that.

what's wrong with the language?

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:10 am

dolcevita11 wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Thanks!

I think woeisme was jokingly referring to the numerous spelling and grammar errors in your post.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Westmalle wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:

I am a beernerd. $2 Hoegaarden is a good deal, as long as they keep the fruit out of it.

It's a $1 saranac and a $1 labatt blue. And, I dont think there is any fruit but I am too cheap to have ever bought the $2 beer.

And based on last week's karaoke event-- I think nesker might be right-- banning could be in our future.

TammyG

Postby TammyG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Hearing about this karaoke is moving Cornell up my list :D

I wonder if you all could tell me more about the Cornell Cabaret (I ran across a video on youtube and I need answers :lol: )

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Is it ok to choose cornell just because I like its school colors best?

hieveryone

Postby hieveryone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:38 pm

$1 beer? I'm liking this place already.

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:42 pm

:shock:
Last edited by lsatbobby on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolcevita11

Postby dolcevita11 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:58 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
dolcevita11 wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Thanks!

I think woeisme was jokingly referring to the numerous spelling and grammar errors in your post.

I suppose I did not realize that grammar and spelling are to be used formally when writing on a message board online.

Please excuse the informal language--- I did not realize I was being so meticulously scrutinized.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:00 pm

well, if you enroll in the fall, I will point woeisme out to you and you can beat him up.... deal?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”