Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
oliverlovesyou

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oliverlovesyou » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:50 am

2Ls, what are your thoughts on the meal plans? Planning on living in the dorms with no car. Wondering if the time saved going to the grocery store, preparing, and cleaning up is worth it.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:02 pm

oliverlovesyou wrote:2Ls, what are your thoughts on the meal plans? Planning on living in the dorms with no car. Wondering if the time saved going to the grocery store, preparing, and cleaning up is worth it.

Had a meal plan. Didn't regret it.

Rounder35

Postby Rounder35 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Has anyone here looked into/know about biglaw prospects in Chicago? I'm from the area as well I've worked for two years in a Chicago biglaw firm.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:37 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
oliverlovesyou wrote:2Ls, what are your thoughts on the meal plans? Planning on living in the dorms with no car. Wondering if the time saved going to the grocery store, preparing, and cleaning up is worth it.

If you just want to go to the cafeterias occasionally, or dinner every night, can you use your cornell card? or just pay to enter
every time?

ETA: or do you need a meal plan?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:

If you just want to go to the cafeterias occasionally, or dinner every night, can you use your cornell card? or just pay to enter
every time?

They all take cash. Some have some occasional deals for planholders that seem overrated.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:59 am

What do most students wear to class? Guys: khakis and polo? Or tshirt and athletic shorts? Girls: blouse and nice skirt? Or tshirt and shorts? Also, do students use a backpack? Or more like a professional messenger bag?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 am

msblaw89 wrote:What do most students wear to class? Guys: khakis and polo? Or tshirt and athletic shorts? Girls: blouse and nice skirt? Or tshirt and shorts? Also, do students use a backpack? Or more like a professional messenger bag?

All of the above.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:43 pm

msblaw89 wrote:What do most students wear to class? Guys: khakis and polo? Or tshirt and athletic shorts? Girls: blouse and nice skirt? Or tshirt and shorts? Also, do students use a backpack? Or more like a professional messenger bag?

No one worth your time cares. Wear what you like.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 pm

PinkCow wrote:

Accurate, though I will say: Some people use messenger bags. I would strongly, strongly urge you to get a real backpack. I used a messenger bag all through college (to my spine's detriment), but between the hills and the weight of the books, a full bag was a hugely prudent investment.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

Accurate, though I will say: Some people use messenger bags. I would strongly, strongly urge you to get a real backpack. I used a messenger bag all through college (to my spine's detriment), but between the hills and the weight of the books, a full bag was a hugely prudent investment.

Thanks! I was more concerned about what the professors prefer students to wear... I've heard some professors give dirty looks at students who don't dress nicely at other schools

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

Thanks! I was more concerned about what the professors prefer students to wear... I've heard some professors give dirty looks at students who don't dress nicely at other schools

Professors don't give a shit, and why would you care if they did?

morally0bese

Postby morally0bese » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:49 am

"What would you have your Arbiter do?"

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Anyone work with Joe Daley as a landlord?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:49 am

What speed internet do you have? Trying to decide between 20 mbps and 30mbps. I don't game or download movies...I just want to make sure I have enough speed to download law school material efficiently

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:08 am

msblaw89 wrote:What speed internet do you have? Trying to decide between 20 mbps and 30mbps. I don't game or download movies...I just want to make sure I have enough speed to download law school material efficiently

Geez dude you're all business all of the time aren't you? Either of those speeds will be more than sufficient to download the occasional .pdf.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:12 am

PinkCow wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:What speed internet do you have? Trying to decide between 20 mbps and 30mbps. I don't game or download movies...I just want to make sure I have enough speed to download law school material efficiently

Geez dude you're all business all of the time aren't you? Either of those speeds will be more than sufficient to download the occasional .pdf.

I have to set up a plan with Time Warner and have to choose what Internet speed / cable package soon

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 am

msblaw89 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

I have to set up a plan with Time Warner and have to choose what Internet speed / cable package soon

Both of those are like 50x what you would ever need to download the minuscule number of files you'll need for 1L.

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:55 am

Chucky21 wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:

every time?

I lived in Hughes with no car, and I went mostly every day for Lunch and Dinner. Its worth it if you want to eat healthy.

Time saved is great, as long as you go for lunch at either 11:45 or 12:45. (If you go 15 min earlier or 15 min later, it'll be packed). You can walk to a dining hall, eat lunch/dinner, and walk back in a half hour.

On weekends I'd eat lunch/dinner either at the Dining Halls on West or North Campus as the quality of the food is better. I definitely got my money's worth.

Also: Any 3Ls have opinions on Public International Law with Ohlin, Remedies in Litigation with Sherwin or Fed. Courts with Dorf? I have to pick one of those 3...

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:31 pm

No laughing..... I've lived in a no snowmclimate my entire life. Do you wear ski pants in the winter? Or what bottoms should I wear?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:22 pm

msblaw89 wrote:No laughing..... I've lived in a no snowmclimate my entire life. Do you wear ski pants in the winter? Or what bottoms should I wear?

Definitely kilts.

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Surprised we got journal decisions 24 hours after bidding closed...you think they would have extended the bid deadline being that close to an announcement. Glad I went with a relatively conservative bid strategy after all

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:09 pm

orderofthings wrote:Surprised we got journal decisions 24 hours after bidding closed...you think they would have extended the bid deadline being that close to an announcement. Glad I went with a relatively conservative bid strategy after all

JLPP?

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm

PinkCow wrote:
orderofthings wrote:Surprised we got journal decisions 24 hours after bidding closed...you think they would have extended the bid deadline being that close to an announcement. Glad I went with a relatively conservative bid strategy after all

JLPP?

haha nah just not LR

Any luck on your end?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:14 pm

orderofthings wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

JLPP?

haha nah just not LR

Any luck on your end?

Yeah I got LR. 1/3 surprised 1/3 thrilled 1/3 mourning my 2L year

clone22

Postby clone22 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:15 pm

msblaw89 wrote:No laughing..... I've lived in a no snowmclimate my entire life. Do you wear ski pants in the winter? Or what bottoms should I wear?

Dude, this isn't siberia. We had snow on the ground maybe a cumulative of 10 days this year, at no point too heavy. When it snowed, the snow got plowed really quickly. Jeans work just fine.

To the attire question: some people dressed fancy and were well groomed year round. Some looked like they didn't give a shit. Your 1L year, only grades matter. Your grades will not be affected by what you wear. Act accordingly.

pinkcow: aren't you doing H anyway? :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”