Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FlanAl

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by FlanAl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 am

there's a public service challenge certificate if you do enough volunteer hours your 1st year. I don't think very many people get it because, in all honesty, putting in like an extra 40 hours or whatever it was of your time in 1L is a pain in the ass. Just volunteer this summer and then try to do the challenge when you get to school.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 pm

so cornell doesnt leak data like this?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=187337

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Inkjet or laser printer?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Inkjet or laser printer?
Free printing included with tuition up to $40. But lazer.

cornell2014

New

Post by cornell2014 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:17 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:if i'm signed up for direct deposit through the bursar, when will financial aid be disbursed? the site says ~10 days before classes start/3rd week of august, but i thought i remember reading someone saying they received theirs a few days after classes started.
I never signed up for direct deposit, so I can't speak to that, but I was able to pick up my check on the first day of orientation. "A few days after classes started" is definitely not accurate unless there was some sort of issue with that person's paperwork.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:15 pm

PinkCow wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Any legal volunteer opportunities for novices in the Ithaca area?
Like right now? I think there's a thin with helping people divorce coming up on Friday...
More like and organization or something
0L gunner identified.

Seriously, though, there are enough campus groups and programs to get involved in. Stop worrying about this stuff now.
The mission in Rogue Squadron where Madine defects is my favorite one.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Hughes question: if i cook at least two meals a day, and i take up about one full shelf in a normal-sized fridge, should i get my own minifridge?

it seems like a pain in the ass to carry all my food to the kitchen to prepare it so i'd rather not. but if the fridges get really crammed, i guess i'll have to.

eta: my food takes up one full shelf in a fridge, not me.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 pm

how hard would it be to get decent last minute housing - as in right before orientation?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:how hard would it be to get decent last minute housing - as in right before orientation?
Like, permanent housing, or just for that night?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:how hard would it be to get decent last minute housing - as in right before orientation?
Permanent

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Permanent
Not impossible, but good luck with that.

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Hey does anybody have any recommendations on choosing between Commons West/City View? I know City View is nicer but it is also more expensive and out of the way. Commons West is in the heart of downtown, however, and Im worried that noise levels might be distracting.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:53 pm

morally0bese wrote:Hey does anybody have any recommendations on choosing between Commons West/City View? I know City View is nicer but it is also more expensive and out of the way. Commons West is in the heart of downtown, however, and Im worried that noise levels might be distracting.
It's ithaca. everything shuts down at 1 am. by 1:30, everything but collegetown is dead. Also buses run from the commons very frequently in the morning, and you can walk downhill at night.

With city view you're going to be walking uphill at least some of the time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Anyone know the approximate amount of time it takes to get from the Commons stop on bus 10 to the law school?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:Hughes question: if i cook at least two meals a day, and i take up about one full shelf in a normal-sized fridge, should i get my own minifridge?

it seems like a pain in the ass to carry all my food to the kitchen to prepare it so i'd rather not. but if the fridges get really crammed, i guess i'll have to.

This is also relevant to my interests. I will probably be brining a mini fridge but its not big and don't really wanna buy a new one.

Edit: Also do you have to worry about people taking your food. I never put food in my houses fridge in college (think something similar to hughes) because everyone would always take each other's food. Is this something you have to worry about? Or is the fact that we're all in law school enough to deter people from doing this.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:14 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:Hughes question: if i cook at least two meals a day, and i take up about one full shelf in a normal-sized fridge, should i get my own minifridge?

This is also relevant to my interests. I will probably be brining a mini fridge but its not big and don't really wanna buy a new one.

Edit: Also do you have to worry about people taking your food. I never put food in my houses fridge in college (think something similar to hughes) because everyone would always take each other's food. Is this something you have to worry about? Or is the fact that we're all in law school enough to deter people from doing this.
yo, at the ASW during the tour of hughes i asked about food stealing, and the tour guide said he'd never heard of that happening. i wouldn't be that surprised if it happened with ~45 people in there, but i hope not, haha.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:25 am

I lived in Hughes and from personal experience, yes, a minifridge is a lifesaver. You will need to have a car or have a friend drive you for grocery shopping. Either that or pay a ton for inferio goods at Wilson Farms etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:23 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:

I heard you actually need to go through an approved 3rd party and rent one for Hughes. At least that's what I was told by a now 2L. https://www.mymicrofridge.com/ that's the place I was told.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:34 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

I heard you actually need to go through an approved 3rd party and rent one for Hughes. At least that's what I was told by a now 2L. https://www.mymicrofridge.com/ that's the place I was told.

Can anyone else confirm this?
If this is true this sucks lol I haven't had to get one of those since freshmen year of college.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:14 am

msblaw89 wrote:Anyone know the approximate amount of time it takes to get from the Commons stop on bus 10 to the law school?

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:20 am

when do we move into Hughes? Contract says 18th but I've seen 17th float around. Any specific time we're meant to show up?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:47 am

msblaw89 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone know the approximate amount of time it takes to get from the Commons stop on bus 10 to the law school?
I swear this was posted in your class of 2015 thread by clone22 the same day you originally asked.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 am

msblaw89 wrote:
http://tcat.nextinsight.com/

This is very accurate, except for maybe in the winter, but nobody can predict what times will be like then.

oliverlovesyou

New

Post by oliverlovesyou » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 pm

Does it really take 38 minutes to get from the dorms to Wegmans on the bus??

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:35 am

oliverlovesyou wrote:Does it really take 38 minutes to get from the dorms to Wegmans on the bus??
Depends on the fastest route, but probably. Most people just find someone with a car and either borrow it or go with him/her. It's not too bad. You could also call a cab if you really don't like waiting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”