Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mths

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mths » Mon May 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Ostrizr316 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
vexion wrote:"I think I would be an excellent candidate for the law review because I voted for Romney."

Alright, alright. I Meant something more substantial than that, but I get it.... No politics

Writing a statement about how being conservative makes you diverse, or gives you a diverse perspective about law, is a really stupid idea because it shows that you don't know what law reviews do.

Although the criteria for the diversity statement has changed slightly this year, I'll share the advice that was given to me by the then Notes Editor and Managing Editor when I proposed to write a statement about my racial background:

Don't write some checkbox diversity essay that makes you seem like you have a unique perspective, because at the end of the day it will come of cliche and everyone else does that. Instead, write an essay about why you are the type of person that we would want to work with for the next year. Because when it comes down to choosing between the last few students that have minuscule differences between their GPAs and writing scores, what we really want to know is 'Is this someone who will take their editing assignments seriously, who has a skill-set that the journal can benefit from, and will be able to step up into a leadership role in less than a year.'

That was the best advice I got, and I wrote my statement accordingly and composited on to Law Review. While I can't say that the same thing will apply this year, take the time and go talk to the ME, SNE, and EIC and find out what they're looking for in the statement. They're all incredibly approachable people, and as long as you come off earnestly (and not like a conceited douche bag) you're likely to get some useful info.

Boy, did they make a mistake with us...

cstephen

Housing

Postby cstephen » Wed May 16, 2012 10:58 am

I am looking at two different housing situations.

One is a two bedroom apartment that is in north campus, near Cayuga Heights which is about a 5-10 minute drive to the law school and with 2 bus routes that pick up frequently at either end of the development, the other is a small 2 bedroom cottage in Dryden that is a 15-20min drive to the law school and there is only one bus route that picks up and drops off twice a day.

I will be bringing my car, but I have heard that parking near or on campus is hard to come across and very expensive. I also have a large dog and the farther house is more accommodating to him but I am worried that I will be separating myself if I decide on the farther one.

How far is too far away for your 1L year and is the 15-20 min drive going to be hard in the winter?

Ikki

Re: Housing

Postby Ikki » Wed May 16, 2012 1:43 pm

cstephen wrote:I am looking at two different housing situations.

One is a two bedroom apartment that is in north campus, near Cayuga Heights which is about a 5-10 minute drive to the law school and with 2 bus routes that pick up frequently at either end of the development, the other is a small 2 bedroom cottage in Dryden that is a 15-20min drive to the law school and there is only one bus route that picks up and drops off twice a day.

I will be bringing my car, but I have heard that parking near or on campus is hard to come across and very expensive. I also have a large dog and the farther house is more accommodating to him but I am worried that I will be separating myself if I decide on the farther one.

How far is too far away for your 1L year and is the 15-20 min drive going to be hard in the winter?

If you want to be able to mingle with fellow law students, have something resembling a social life, and fast access to the law school library, take the north campus option. If you don't really care for getting drunk 3-4 times a week in College town, don't mind the drive and gas expense, take the Dryden cottage.

Are you from a big metro area? I'm only asking because very few people can stand commuting every day. The parking situation is not bad at all, I was able to park for free on a regular basis on Seneca St. and Buffalo St. The walk up Edgemoor is also doable.
Last edited by Ikki on Wed May 16, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cstephen

Postby cstephen » Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Ikki wrote:

If you want to be able to mingle with fellow law students, have something resembling a social life, and fast access to the law school library, take the north campus option. If you don't really care for getting drunk 3-4 times a week in College town, don't mind the drive and gas expense, take the Dryden cottage.

Are you from a big metro area? I'm only asking because very few people can stand commuting every day. The parking situation is not bad at all, I was able to park for free on a regular basis on State St. and Buffalo St. The walk up Edgemoor is also doable.

I am coming from Washington DC, but I walk to get to class and work which is only about 15 min. How are taxis in Ithaca, would it be something I could use during the weekends if I wanted to go out then? I have heard that a lot of law students live in the surrounding towns but I am worried about mingling being more difficult if I live farther away.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed May 16, 2012 2:10 pm

cstephen wrote:
Ikki wrote:

Are you from a big metro area? I'm only asking because very few people can stand commuting every day. The parking situation is not bad at all, I was able to park for free on a regular basis on State St. and Buffalo St. The walk up Edgemoor is also doable.

I am coming from Washington DC, but I walk to get to class and work which is only about 15 min. How are taxis in Ithaca, would it be something I could use during the weekends if I wanted to go out then? I have heard that a lot of law students live in the surrounding towns but I am worried about mingling being more difficult if I live farther away.

I live close to North Campus and taxis are pretty expensive, you are looking at about 18 dollars to where I live. I'm gonna guess it would be a bit higher than $20 if you live near Cayuga Heights.

If you take the Dryden cottage, you're looking at a half-hour commute each way if you are willing to part somewhere on Stewart ave., Buffalo st., or Seneca street. Definitely doable but it might be a pain in the ass.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Cheap furniture stores?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Big Lots/Wal-Mart

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:44 pm

MTHS, I hate you and all your ilk. (Law review, that is)

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:45 am

PinkCow wrote:Big Lots/Wal-Mart

Okay, thanks. I didn't know BigLots had couches and things like that

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri May 18, 2012 1:57 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Big Lots/Wal-Mart

Okay, thanks. I didn't know BigLots had couches and things like that

That's where we got most of our stuff. It's a step up from Target quality wise, and a bit cheaper. They also have a delivery option that's pretty cheap (I think it was between $20-$50 to deliver a bed, couch, and dressers to us downtown).

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Sat May 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Thinking about not doing the writing comp. How bad of an idea is this?

Also how many people actually do the writing comp and don't get onto a journal?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:15 pm

How awful would a RWD SUV ( think expedition) be during winter? I have never driven in snow/ice before

golderob

Postby golderob » Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 pm

On a completely different note... I'm trying to get some of my textbooks now while prices are still low on places like Amazon and Half.com. Is it safe to assume that I'll need Hillman's "Contracts" and Clermont's "Civil Procedure" no matter which section I'm in? Also, is it absolutely necessary to have the most recent edition, or is it possible to use the next most recent edition? Thanks!

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 pm

golderob wrote:On a completely different note... I'm trying to get some of my textbooks now while prices are still low on places like Amazon and Half.com. Is it safe to assume that I'll need Hillman's "Contracts" and Clermont's "Civil Procedure" no matter which section I'm in? Also, is it absolutely necessary to have the most recent edition, or is it possible to use the next most recent edition? Thanks!

I don't know how cheap prices are on Half/Amazon, but in August when the incoming 1L's get added to the listserv your inboxes are going to be inundated with emails from 2Ls trying to sell you their books. It's just something to keep in mind if you want to wait and make sure and still save a good bit of money. Otherwise I'd say those are safe bets that you will need those books but no guarantees.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Tue May 29, 2012 12:30 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:Thinking about not doing the writing comp. How bad of an idea is this?

Very bad idea ITE. It will mark you as lazy to employers.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 pm

fsohn wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:Thinking about not doing the writing comp. How bad of an idea is this?

This is person dependent. If you are doing nothing else in life or law school, then maybe some employer will find it lazy. If you have other activities and zero interest in journals than it may not hurt you.

<-- No journal. Only 2 OCI interviews ask about it. Told them I did not care for journal work. Got callbacks from both (and others).

I don't actively recommend not doing journal work but it is not the end of your career if you decide not to do it. Just fill the time with something else.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue May 29, 2012 10:03 pm

CyLaw wrote:
fsohn wrote:

This is person dependent. If you are doing nothing else in life or law school, then maybe some employer will find it lazy. If you have other activities and zero interest in journals than it may not hurt you.

<-- No journal. Only 2 OCI interviews ask about it. Told them I did not care for journal work. Got callbacks from both (and others).

I don't actively recommend not doing journal work but it is not the end of your career if you decide not to do it. Just fill the time with something else.

But your grades were probably grade-on to law review caliber, yeah?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed May 30, 2012 5:24 pm

woeisme wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
fsohn wrote:

But your grades were probably grade-on to law review caliber, yeah?

They were good, but not grade-on good. But you point is valid in respect to journal membership as a proxy for grades.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:13 pm

I have a question about food and hughes...

1) I don't have a car should i think about a meal plan? Do people leave their food in the common kitchen? Do other people eat other people's food thats left there?

2) are we allowed fridges in our rooms?

3) Is it feasible to not have a meal plan and not have a car as well? Would i spend less money being on the school's meal plan?

Any insight would be helpful

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 pm

^ I will be in Hughes and I'll have a car, will get you food for a small fee 8)

And yes, fridges are allowed. I'm wondering if we can have toaster ovens.

I have a question though, I have a small FWD sedan, am I going to need chains?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:^ I will be in Hughes and I'll have a car, will get you food for a small fee 8)

Chains no, snow tires are not a bad idea.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:^ I will be in Hughes and I'll have a car, will get you food for a small fee 8)

lol thanks how small of a fee we talking? Are you doing the meal plan or anything or are you just winging it?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:17 am

i don't know if this breaks the honor code (honor codes make me paranoid) but can anyone point me in the direction of what we are supposed to do for the write on personal statements? Is there a page limit? Where do I send them? etc., etc.

Thanks!

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:24 am

Two pages double spaced, times new roman 12 point font. Send it to the email address you sent the edit test and note, no need to physically mail it. There should be a prompt in the materials provided, but I know a lot of people are just tweaking their law school personal statement.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 am

thanks, Pado helped me out. I just didn't know where to send them. For some reason I thought I was supposed to email the individual journals.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”