Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CyLaw

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CyLaw » Wed May 02, 2012 5:21 am

Ikki wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:What are the benefits/costs of doing the jd/MBA at Cornell? I asked this to a couple students at asw and got mixed reviews

A $76,306 excuse to not do the writing competition.

You can still do the writing competition as a JD/MBA.

As for the benefits, I don't know. I'm not a JD/MBA and it does not interest me. I'll let others handle that question.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:12 am

CyLaw wrote:
Ikki wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:What are the benefits/costs of doing the jd/MBA at Cornell? I asked this to a couple students at asw and got mixed reviews

As for the benefits, I don't know. I'm not a JD/MBA and it does not interest me. I'll let others handle that question.

Yes, but you have an excuse not to.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed May 02, 2012 8:56 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Ikki wrote:

Yes, but you have an excuse not to.

Meh. I chose not to do the writing comp. without any excuse.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 9:21 am

I did think about applying jd/mba but I was worried that I wouldn't be accepted to the mba side with my low gpa. I have no idea if that was a rational fear

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed May 02, 2012 9:35 am

unlicensedpotato wrote:I did think about applying jd/mba but I was worried that I wouldn't be accepted to the mba side with my low gpa. I have no idea if that was a rational fear

In case you did not know, you can apply for the MBA part any time before the end of 1L.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 am

Do you think having a masters degree can make you more competitive in the admissions process? I know it cant make up for a low gpa or a low lsat score, but can it give you a slight edge among those with similar scores?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am

CyLaw wrote:

How required is a journal? Do you know anyone not doing jd/mba who isn't on one? I don't know what people on journals do or how it actually helps you but I feel compelled to do it, mostly because everyone else is.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:02 pm

I have a question for people that lived in Hughes. What did you guys do for food? Did you just eat at places on campus try to cook? I don't have a car so the latter will be difficult for me.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 3:41 pm

I was just accepted to UVA off the wait list. I was wondering if anyone else was deciding between Virginia and Cornell and what influenced their decisions? I would be paying sticker at both

Also what are y'alls impressions of each school?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed May 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Although I really enjoy cornell i did ED to UVA. For some weird reason UVA seems to do really well in California. If you're gunning for New York I'd guess that they both probably have equal placement power. I'd think that UVA just sort of opens up more markets than Cornell does.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 4:40 pm

thanks FlanAl. Haha i love the avatar/name. That agrees with my thoughts. If I was willing to totally commit to New York, I think Cornell would be the better option. However, I am also interested in Texas, and I think UVA would have better placement there.

oliverlovesyou

Postby oliverlovesyou » Thu May 03, 2012 2:34 pm

How does the food situation work at Hughes? Do you bring your own dishes, pots, pans? Can I have a microwave in my room? How thin are the walls (will I wake up my neighbors by trying to fall asleep to tv?)

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu May 03, 2012 2:34 pm

FlanAl wrote:How required is a journal? Do you know anyone not doing jd/mba who isn't on one? I don't know what people on journals do or how it actually helps you but I feel compelled to do it, mostly because everyone else is.

Anecdotally, being on a journal is very important for getting a job, and not much else. What you do is write a twenty-five-page student note (a boring research paper no one but one editor will ever read) and do some editing on three articles for publication (grammar, spelling, punctuation, cite-checking, and Bluebooking). After the August Job Fair, I think our friends on the Law Review were swimming in callbacks while those on ILJ and JLPP were begging for scraps. I know a couple non-JD/MBAs who aren't on journals, voluntarily or otherwise. One of them did very well for himself (SA/job at Latham in California), I'm not sure about the other.

timeandspace11 wrote:Do you think having a masters degree can make you more competitive in the admissions process? I know it cant make up for a low gpa or a low lsat score, but can it give you a slight edge among those with similar scores?

Yes. It's a soft; all softs push you over another candidate with similar scores. But your LSDAS GPA and LSAT score are still 90% of your application.

unlicensedpotato wrote:thanks FlanAl. Haha i love the avatar/name. That agrees with my thoughts. If I was willing to totally commit to New York, I think Cornell would be the better option. However, I am also interested in Texas, and I think UVA would have better placement there.

Then UVA's the right answer. Especially given you'd be paying sticker at both and Cornell is more expensive.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm

FlanAl wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

How required is a journal? Do you know anyone not doing jd/mba who isn't on one? I don't know what people on journals do or how it actually helps you but I feel compelled to do it, mostly because everyone else is.

Sorry, missed this earlier. I am a non-jd/mba who is not on a journal. I have outside experience that helped me with my personal job search, so I can't really comment on whether a journal is required or not. It doesn't hurt to be on a journal. I just had zero interest in journal work and couldn't care less about how it would help with my job search. I will say that at AJF I had two interviewers ask me point blank why I did not do the writing comp. Quick paraphrase of my answer:

ETA: I will add that journals are also important for clerkship applications.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu May 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Potato - If you really like Cornell better, I don't think we have too much trouble placing in TX. But you will have a better chance at D.C. and maybe other markets out of UVA.

FlanAl - If your grades are great, you will get a job without a journal. Otherwise, probably not a great idea to risk it. LR is almost necessary for clerkships.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 pm

oliverlovesyou wrote:How does the food situation work at Hughes? Do you bring your own dishes, pots, pans? Can I have a microwave in my room? How thin are the walls (will I wake up my neighbors by trying to fall asleep to tv?)

I asked these same questions with no response. Hopefully someone can help out this time

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:43 pm

KMaine wrote:Potato - If you really like Cornell better, I don't think we have too much trouble placing in TX. But you will have a better chance at D.C. and maybe other markets out of UVA.

FlanAl - If your grades are great, you will get a job without a journal. Otherwise, probably not a great idea to risk it. LR is almost necessary for clerkships.

I've heard EIC of the other two works as well for clerkships, though I've not seen that born out.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm

KMaine wrote:Potato - If you really like Cornell better, I don't think we have too much trouble placing in TX. But you will have a better chance at D.C. and maybe other markets out of UVA.

Do you know how many walk-ons there are and how many total 1Ls make CLR?

mths

Postby mths » Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:Noticed that top firms (Cravath, S&C, Boies, etc.) don't do OCI at Cornell and some that do come only come for the NY job fair. Does this make it all but impossible to get hired by these firms out of Cornell?

NY job fair (called the August Job Fair) is to Cornell as OCI is to other schools. And I know multiple people doing Cravath and S&C.

Thank you that helps a lot! I have very little up front knowledge of Cornell so some of my questions may be very stupid slash off base. Also, is it hard to do a lot of specialization (in my case tax) with the set 1L schedule and four "strongly recommended" 2L core classes?

Give tax a shot before you decide to specialize in that barbed wire in a jar of salt field.

mths

Postby mths » Thu May 03, 2012 10:59 pm

vexion wrote:
FlanAl wrote:How required is a journal? Do you know anyone not doing jd/mba who isn't on one? I don't know what people on journals do or how it actually helps you but I feel compelled to do it, mostly because everyone else is.

Anecdotally, being on a journal is very important for getting a job, and not much else. What you do is write a twenty-five-page student note (a boring research paper no one but one editor will ever read) and do some editing on three articles for publication (grammar, spelling, punctuation, cite-checking, and Bluebooking). After the August Job Fair, I think our friends on the Law Review were swimming in callbacks while those on ILJ and JLPP were begging for scraps. I know a couple non-JD/MBAs who aren't on journals, voluntarily or otherwise. One of them did very well for himself (SA/job at Latham in California), I'm not sure about the other.

Don't even try to make journal sound easy. I spent more time on law review work than I did on all of my classes put together this year.

Fuck that noise.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 pm

mths wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:Noticed that top firms (Cravath, S&C, Boies, etc.) don't do OCI at Cornell and some that do come only come for the NY job fair. Does this make it all but impossible to get hired by these firms out of Cornell?

NY job fair (called the August Job Fair) is to Cornell as OCI is to other schools. And I know multiple people doing Cravath and S&C.

Thank you that helps a lot! I have very little up front knowledge of Cornell so some of my questions may be very stupid slash off base. Also, is it hard to do a lot of specialization (in my case tax) with the set 1L schedule and four "strongly recommended" 2L core classes?

Give tax a shot before you decide to specialize in that barbed wire in a jar of salt field.

+1

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:09 pm

mths wrote:
vexion wrote:

Don't even try to make journal sound easy. I spent more time on law review work than I did on all of my classes put together this year.

Fuck that noise.

That's really the chinese-finger trap of law school: the more work you do, the more work you want to have to do. :(

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
oliverlovesyou wrote:How does the food situation work at Hughes? Do you bring your own dishes, pots, pans? Can I have a microwave in my room? How thin are the walls (will I wake up my neighbors by trying to fall asleep to tv?)

I asked these same questions with no response. Hopefully someone can help out this time

This is also relevant to my interests

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri May 04, 2012 9:02 am

paulshortys10 wrote:

There is a common kitchen for use that has most of the pots and pans you would need. You will need your own dishes and utensils if you want to use the common kitchen. There is also a lot of dining halls with a 5-10 min walk from Hughes.

You can have a microwave, but check your housing contract and the rules for Hughes to see if they still restrict it to only micro-fridges rented from their provider.

Walls are thin, but not that thin. It is actually the heater that transmits nice from room to room. Just set things at a responsible volume and you should be fine.

Also, check out the FAQ for grad housing to see if that helps with your questions at all. http://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campu ... eneral.cfm

I liked Hughes. Others did not.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 am

msblaw89 wrote:

Do you know how many walk-ons there are and how many total 1Ls make CLR?

I believe that they choose a full 1/3 without any reference to grades.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”