Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CyLaw

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CyLaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Best cheap chinese: Apollo

No. Even drunk, I hate that place.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but there is a great cheap chinese restaurant that delivers. Capital Corner or something like that.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:13 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Best cheap chinese: Apollo

No. Even drunk, I hate that place.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but there is a great cheap chinese restaurant that delivers. Capital Corner or something like that.

:shrug: To each his own. I like them, at least for 6.25 for a filling meal.

The best ASIAN I've had is Samurai sushi- but get a korean dish, not japanese or thai.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:18 pm

gotta give that a shot. i got jade garden last week and it wasn't very good. i love taste of thai but its nice to switch up the delivery a bit

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:what are the best restaurants around town?

How best are we talking? Best as in Zagats 30 food, or best as in best deal?

Looking for a mix of both...
Best fine dining: John Thomas Steakhouse
Best pizza: I'm partial to Collegetown Pizza
Best cheap chinese: Appollo
Best healthy: im12andwhatisthis.jpg
And wherever else you find "tasty"

Best fine dining: John Thomas Steakhouse
Best pizza: I'm partial to Collegetown Pizza
Best cheap chinese: Appollo
Best healthy: im12andwhatisthis.jpg
And wherever else you find "tasty": I'm a fan of CTB and Jack's. Aladdin's and Mexeo are delicious but overpriced.

Agree with all of those except for Mexeo, that place is really disgusting. Aladdin's is worth it even if overpriced.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Haha I didn't want to get all burrito snobby but Mexeo is not very good, even by NY standards.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:33 pm

FlanAl wrote:Haha I didn't want to get all burrito snobby but Mexeo is not very good, even by NY standards.

Bro, three more weeks and we can have all the CA Burritos we want :lol:

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Ikki wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Haha I didn't want to get all burrito snobby but Mexeo is not very good, even by NY standards.

Fuucckkkkk. Does Wegman's sell carne asada?

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:43 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
Ikki wrote:

Fuucckkkkk. Does Wegman's sell carne asada?

jajaaja no mames...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Ikki wrote:

They're not real burritos, but they're pretty decent for what they are, and the ingredients are really fresh.

Also jade garden is one of the worst things I've ever had, but I completely forgot about taste of thai express, which is excellent.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Ikki wrote:

They're not real burritos, but they're pretty decent for what they are, and the ingredients are really fresh.

Also jade garden is one of the worst things I've ever had, but I completely forgot about taste of thai express, which is excellent.

Chipotle doesn't sell real burritos and they are still pretty awesome. Mexeo just has no taste, I don't think they put any salt on their black beans.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:16 am

Is Mexeo new? Somehow I missed this one

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:02 am

Is Taste of Thai in the commons different than Taste of Thai Express?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 am

msblaw89 wrote:Is Taste of Thai in the commons different than Taste of Thai Express?

Yes. Taste of Thai Express is substantially better. This cannot be overstated.

golderob

Postby golderob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:10 pm

When do we find out what textbooks we need? Are there some 1L classes where all the profs use the same book?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 pm

All the professors use the same Contracts and CivPro. We had to buy a new edition for Civ Pro this year so my guess is that it will be good for next year, I'm not sure about contracts but I think it will be good for next year too. I'm trying to pressure CLSA into having a case book sale at the beginning of the year since most of the people with the books you'll need will be gone on call backs and stuff.

Also if you're interested, I have these two books in basically pristine condition. I don't like to write in books (for some reason that no writing in books policy stuck with me from the middle school library checking us out text books) so there's no highlighting or anything in them. I know some people like their books this way. However (and this will hurt my sales pitch) I had a used torts book that was book briefed and was pretty great. If you are looking for that sort of thing it sounded like Arbiter had some books for sale.

golderob

Postby golderob » Tue May 01, 2012 11:49 am

The book sale idea is amazing! If there's anything I can do from Boston to help (e.g. use my high school physics education to design a laser gun to divert incoming asteroids from Cornell towards some sinister building/organization), let me know. Also, it would be good to know what Cornell students consider to be the sinister organizations worthy of asteroid attacks.

golderob

Postby golderob » Tue May 01, 2012 11:58 am

One last thing (for now at least): how important is it to have the most updated edition? Do they really change that much from edition to edition?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Unfortunately I'm not sure what you could do to be helpful. I'd say email CLSA but they might be annoyed at having a 0L tell them what to do haha. If any of the 1Ls want to email them that would probably be good. I've spoken with a couple of the representatives and they thought it was a good idea, but we'll see if it gets done.

Civ pro changed a lot, you need the concise edition. I'm not sure about contracts, I've seen people using both but its probably best to use the new one.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Back to the best food...I took a peek at Aladdin's menu, and it looks delish! Are the plates served with jasmine rice?

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Tue May 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Was just accepted to Cornell. I apologize if any of this has already been asked:

How is Cornell perceived in tax law?
How good is Cornell at placing students in big law in New York City?

Noticed that top firms (Cravath, S&C, Boies, etc.) don't do OCI at Cornell and some that do come only come for the NY job fair. Does this make it all but impossible to get hired by these firms out of Cornell?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue May 01, 2012 5:38 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:Noticed that top firms (Cravath, S&C, Boies, etc.) don't do OCI at Cornell and some that do come only come for the NY job fair. Does this make it all but impossible to get hired by these firms out of Cornell?

NY job fair (called the August Job Fair) is to Cornell as OCI is to other schools. And I know multiple people doing Cravath and S&C.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Tue May 01, 2012 5:45 pm

CyLaw wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:Noticed that top firms (Cravath, S&C, Boies, etc.) don't do OCI at Cornell and some that do come only come for the NY job fair. Does this make it all but impossible to get hired by these firms out of Cornell?

NY job fair (called the August Job Fair) is to Cornell as OCI is to other schools. And I know multiple people doing Cravath and S&C.

Thank you that helps a lot! I have very little up front knowledge of Cornell so some of my questions may be very stupid slash off base. Also, is it hard to do a lot of specialization (in my case tax) with the set 1L schedule and four "strongly recommended" 2L core classes?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue May 01, 2012 5:55 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Thank you that helps a lot! I have very little up front knowledge of Cornell so some of my questions may be very stupid slash off base. Also, is it hard to do a lot of specialization (in my case tax) with the set 1L schedule and four "strongly recommended" 2L core classes?

Not stupid at all.

As you said the 1L schedule is completely set, so there is no wiggle room there. But the 2L core classes may be recommended but at no where near required (read: It will be a cold day in Hell before I take tax). If there are courses in your interest area then there should be no issue in you fitting in those courses. I think they been increasing the number of tax courses, but I can't say for certain. Note that they only have "concentrations" in a few areas (Business being one). You will not be able to get a Tax concentration on your degree, but I think there are plenty of tax classes to keep you busy. Also, did you think about the joint JD/MBA program?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 3:48 am

CyLaw wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Not stupid at all.

As you said the 1L schedule is completely set, so there is no wiggle room there. But the 2L core classes may be recommended but at no where near required (read: It will be a cold day in Hell before I take tax). If there are courses in your interest area then there should be no issue in you fitting in those courses. I think they been increasing the number of tax courses, but I can't say for certain. Note that they only have "concentrations" in a few areas (Business being one). You will not be able to get a Tax concentration on your degree, but I think there are plenty of tax classes to keep you busy. Also, did you think about the joint JD/MBA program?

What are the benefits/costs of doing the jd/MBA at Cornell? I asked this to a couple students at asw and got mixed reviews

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed May 02, 2012 4:07 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:What are the benefits/costs of doing the jd/MBA at Cornell? I asked this to a couple students at asw and got mixed reviews

A $76,306 excuse to not do the writing competition.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”