Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scorez
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby scorez » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Does anyone make it out to any Big Red hockey games?

I am a huge hockey fan and there was no hockey at my liberal arts school, so this would be a plus.

JJim1919
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby JJim1919 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:02 am

lsat_fear wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:Also, as far as clerkships go, I am pretty interested in doing one after law school. How are the opportunities for federal clerkships at cornell? Are they extremely hard to get? Do many people do them?


I'm also curious about this. I know that a relatively low percentage of Cornell grads do clerkships compared to peer schools. Is that self-selection, or is it just hard to get a clerkship out of Cornell for some reason? Anyone know how awesome your grades have to be to have a reasonable shot at federal district/circuit court or state supreme court clerkships?


Bump for this question. I don't think anyone really answered it, and I'm still very curious.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:01 am

.
Last edited by como on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm

hokoelc wrote:well... anything that makes a salary enough to live on, i suppose. work in a bank, maybe? or another sort of financial institution.

Wtf?

User avatar
VictoryFord
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby VictoryFord » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:05 pm

como wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:
lsat_fear wrote:
JJim1919 wrote:Also, as far as clerkships go, I am pretty interested in doing one after law school. How are the opportunities for federal clerkships at cornell? Are they extremely hard to get? Do many people do them?


I'm also curious about this. I know that a relatively low percentage of Cornell grads do clerkships compared to peer schools. Is that self-selection, or is it just hard to get a clerkship out of Cornell for some reason? Anyone know how awesome your grades have to be to have a reasonable shot at federal district/circuit court or state supreme court clerkships?


Bump for this question. I don't think anyone really answered it, and I'm still very curious.


The viewbook I just got lists clerkships for a recent class (I can't remember if it is '08 or '09), and there are some impressive ones. I believe there were a handful of state supreme court clerkships, and I counted 4/5 US circuit court clerkships. Not bad at all, considering the size of the class.



i know this is an extreme improbability regardless of school i attend, but where do the nys ct. of appeals clerks come from, schools wise?

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby tintin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Considering that Ithaca is a small town, is there any kind of gay scene? Is it generally a gay friendly town? I currently live in a super queer town that's about the same size as Ithaca and I love it, so this would be a big plus. Anyone have info on this?

SaraBara
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby SaraBara » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:27 am

can someone help me?? i got into cornell, and i'm preferred wl at georgetown. i love cornell, but i've lived in upstate ny my whole life (i'm from buffalo and i go to the university of rochester now)... are opportunities limited by the location at all? i dont' know about 3 more years in new york!!

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:33 am

amyLAchemist wrote:Random question - how long to drive from Ithaca to Albany?


I did it in 3 hours a couple weekends ago. Very doable.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 am

amyLAchemist wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what kind of legal market exists in Albany? Ever hear of Cornell grads heading there?

Edit-considering living in albany in the future (explaining the incessant albany questions....sorry).


Yeah, Albany loves Cornell I think. I went to college out near Albany. I'm not sure how many go to Albany, but I'm fairly certain that most could, if they wanted.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:39 am

tintin wrote:Considering that Ithaca is a small town, is there any kind of gay scene? Is it generally a gay friendly town? I currently live in a super queer town that's about the same size as Ithaca and I love it, so this would be a big plus. Anyone have info on this?


I've heard that Ithaca is the lesbian capital of the world. In any event, it has a vibrant artsy hippieshness feel too it. The town is VERY gay friendly, ... not sure about the gay scene itself.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:40 am

SaraBara wrote:can someone help me?? i got into cornell, and i'm preferred wl at georgetown. i love cornell, but i've lived in upstate ny my whole life (i'm from buffalo and i go to the university of rochester now)... are opportunities limited by the location at all? i dont' know about 3 more years in new york!!


What's your question? Are what opportunities limited by location?

hopeful87
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hopeful87 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:38 am

Hey! how true is it that cornell students study 6 hours a day everyday?

How's competition among students?

How diverse is the community/cornell?

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:25 am

amyLAchemist wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what kind of legal market exists in Albany? Ever hear of Cornell grads heading there?


There's the NY Court of Appeals in Albany (the NY highest court)--that would make a good and plausible clerkship possibility after graduation if you do well.

SaraBara
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby SaraBara » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:38 pm

well, i guess my question is, does the rural location of ithaca affect opportunities like getting internships, job placement, ect.? i'm just concerned about living in the middle of ny, rather than a big city. or does that not have an impact??

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:57 pm

SaraBara wrote:well, i guess my question is, does the rural location of ithaca affect opportunities like getting internships, job placement, ect.? i'm just concerned about living in the middle of ny, rather than a big city. or does that not have an impact??


don't worry about this at all. firms, government agencies, and public interest groups come to ithaca all the time just to sell themselves to cornell students. everyone's heard of cornell--according to that NLJ chart floating around, we place 6th in terms of the percentage of our grads working at the NLJ250 firms (largely due to our proximity to NYC, and partly due to self-selection--we don't put out as many clerks as some similarly ranked schools).

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:42 pm

SaraBara wrote:well, i guess my question is, does the rural location of ithaca affect opportunities like getting internships, job placement, ect.? i'm just concerned about living in the middle of ny, rather than a big city. or does that not have an impact??

No

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:49 pm

hopeful87 wrote:Hey! how true is it that cornell students study 6 hours a day everyday?
It's not.

hopeful87 wrote:How's competition among students?
I can't imagine that it gets any less competitive than this. Wait, I assume you're talking about how competitive it feels, right? I don't feel much competition at all. At many top schools there's a lot of competition to get onto law journals. Here, we have three journals and a small student body - so it's really not difficult (relatively, of course) to get onto one if you want. On the other hand, we have a graded legal writing course (though I'm not sure this creates much competition because there's a very tight curve in that class). In short, I don't think Cornell is more competitive than other peer schools (I'm tempted to say that it's even less so). Same thing for its feel.

hopeful87 wrote:How diverse is the community/cornell?


In terms of what? Pretty diverse, I guess. Relatively diverse with regards to age and race. Pretty good (read even) gender split. I'm not sure what everyone is interested in going into ... there's probably an overrepresentation of people looking to go into big law. I'm not sure.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:53 pm

SaraBara wrote:well, i guess my question is, does the rural location of ithaca affect opportunities like getting internships, job placement, ect.? i'm just concerned about living in the middle of ny, rather than a big city. or does that not have an impact??


If it has an impact on you personally, that's one thing. It will have zero impact on job prospects. If anything it might help by setting you apart. Cornell has a strong name ... it's location will not negatively affect you.

Westmalle
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Cornell 1Ls, this thread has been very helpful. I'll be at the March 6 ASD and am excited to see the law school that y'all have been raving about.

I have some questions:
What do you guys think about the prospects for a 1L biglaw SA position? Any anecdotal evidence, particularly for IP?
I have read a lot about BRB in the Class of 2011 thread. What is it?
sbrown: In the Class of 2011, I think I read that you recently broke you arm. Can you (or anyone else that was there) tell the TLS community how this happened? Feel free to embellish, if you must.

User avatar
VictoryFord
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby VictoryFord » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:03 pm

Dear Cornellians,

Please march down to the admissions office and demand I be admitted.

Thank You,
Victory Ford


P.S. Is there anything about Cornell that you found out after being there that you couldn't have possibly thought to ask about before attending, but now seems pretty important? The reason I ask: people seem to ask the same stuff over and over again, I don't want to miss something important that none of us can think of. Like, maybe there is a smell of syrup which makes studying impossible, etc.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Westmalle wrote:What do you guys think about the prospects for a 1L biglaw SA position? Any anecdotal evidence, particularly for IP?


Eh, this economy is rough first of all, though it might clear up. But more significantly, what's your UG in? If it isn't engineering-related, chances are not too good. Chances are better if it is. And your 1L GPA will matter quite a bit too.

Westmalle wrote:I have read a lot about BRB in the Class of 2011 thread. What is it?


Haha, I STILL haven't gone! I will one of these days - it's a bar on campus I guess. The BIG RED BARN.

Westmalle
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:13 pm

woeisme wrote:
Westmalle wrote:What do you guys think about the prospects for a 1L biglaw SA position? Any anecdotal evidence, particularly for IP?


Eh, this economy is rough first of all, though it might clear up. But more significantly, what's your UG in? If it isn't engineering-related, chances are not too good. Chances are better if it is. And your 1L GPA will matter quite a bit too.


I will have a PhD in Electrical Engineering. Do you know of any classmates trying to get, or have been offered, a 1L SA in IP?
Last edited by Westmalle on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VictoryFord
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby VictoryFord » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:17 pm

pimp

Westmalle
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Westmalle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 pm

woeisme wrote:
Westmalle wrote:I have read a lot about BRB in the Class of 2011 thread. What is it?


Haha, I STILL haven't gone! I will one of these days - it's a bar on campus I guess. The BIG RED BARN.


That sounds awesome. How can you resist the allure of partying in a big red barn? If I go to Cornell Law and there are no chickens randomly walking around and drinking unattended beers, i will demand my tuition back!

User avatar
bishopus
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:02 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby bishopus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Very helpful thread, thanks guys.

I have a probably dumb question about clerking opportunities if I come to Cornell: what are my odds of clerking for the appeals court in Albany? Top ~10% of the class? Do I need to ace legal writing? Be a horrible, unforgivable gunner?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jjcorvino, mrtux45 and 3 guests