Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kerrigaa

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kerrigaa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:50 pm

I tried to negotiate with an acceptance at UChi and $75k @ BU and they wouldn't budge on the 45k.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:20 pm

kerrigaa wrote:I tried to negotiate with an acceptance at UChi and $75k @ BU and they wouldn't budge on the 45k.

If you used Chicago and got nothing...I have no hope

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:21 pm

kerrigaa wrote:I tried to negotiate with an acceptance at UChi and $75k @ BU and they wouldn't budge on the 45k.

I remember you! So you decided Cornell?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:22 pm

msblaw89 wrote:If you used Chicago and got nothing...I have no hope

I mean it's just a weird concept anyway to give aid because of a mere acceptance somewhere. Like how would one quantify that? I know I'm biased, but I think Cornell is a better/more appealing school than GULC is anyway. Assuming Cornell is equally biased, they'd have no real need to up their offer.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:35 pm

People are withdrawing every day . Keep bugging them until they give you something.

kerrigaa

Postby kerrigaa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:04 pm

woeisme wrote:

I remember you! So you decided Cornell?

Yep, after visiting I decided I really liked the school and the Ithaca area (we'll see if that lasts through 1L lol).

MAapplicant

Postby MAapplicant » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Can any current students attest to how bad or good driving conditions are in the winter? I am considering a rental 6 mi away from Cornell (on the west side of Cayuga Lake off route 89). I am from Cali and haven't had to really drive in snow so not sure if this rental would be a good choice if road conditions are rough (i.e. not plowed consistently, more ice on roads near lake, etc.).

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 pm

MAapplicant wrote:Can any current students attest to how bad or good driving conditions are in the winter? I am considering a rental 6 mi away from Cornell (on the west side of Cayuga Lake off route 89). I am from Cali and haven't had to really drive in snow so not sure if this rental would be a good choice if road conditions are rough (i.e. not plowed consistently, more ice on roads near lake, etc.).

Can be bad. I did this... I had a lakehouse 3L year (with a hot tub and everything). You heard that right... eat your heart out.

Anyway, this is absolutely doable so long as you're doing this with eyes wide open (which it seems you are). It might require planning for extra time given road conditions. Frankly, I'd rethink living in this kind of place as a 1L, but people do it regularly. There will be a few days where it's going to be a bitch to get to school, but it's manageable. What streets are you talking about btw? You can PM if for some reason you don't want to disclose that here.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Hey, thanks for doing this.

I just wanted to know if it is hard to live in Ithica without a car.

Also, is it easy to get to the city from Ithaca?

Finally, do you know anyone specializing in some form of International law, and what they are trying to do with that degree?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Hey, thanks for doing this.

Finally, do you know anyone specializing in some form of International law, and what they are trying to do with that degree?

I went up for ASW. Yes, it would be hard to live there without a car, especially if you needed to go to Walmart of target. 2. the city is about a 4-4.5 hour drive away. There is a campus to campus bus that will take you round trip for $165

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:47 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

I went up for ASW. Yes, it would be hard to live there without a car, especially if you needed to go to Walmart of target. 2. the city is about a 4-4.5 hour drive away. There is a campus to campus bus that will take you round trip for $165

I disagree. I had a car all three years, but I had friends that never did. Bus transportation is pretty good and gets you anywhere you'd need. Also, people are pretty friendly and willing to give rides.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:30 pm

woeisme wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

I disagree. I had a car all three years, but I had friends that never did. Bus transportation is pretty good and gets you anywhere you'd need. Also, people are pretty friendly and willing to give rides.

Okay, its much more inconvenient to not have a car

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:58 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
woeisme wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Okay, its much more inconvenient to not have a car

Thanks I figured it was probably harder. I lived in Tallahassee without a car for 4 years so I can make it work, but I wont lie it would be cool to be in a metropolitan area with really good public transportation. Tally is the capital city but it is very small.

muddup

Postby muddup » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey,

I heard that it's pretty difficult to guarantee successfully leasing summer sublet? Like I need a place to live from August - May, (Hughes won't work because they start August 17th, and I need to move in 2 weeks earlier). So should I just get a 12-month contract, and try to lease it for the summer? Any advice would be appreciated. And if I get a 12-month contract, I'm going to get a studio almost for sure.

Thanks!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:14 pm

muddup wrote:Hey,

I heard that it's pretty difficult to guarantee successfully leasing summer sublet? Like I need a place to live from August - May, (Hughes won't work because they start August 17th, and I need to move in 2 weeks earlier). So should I just get a 12-month contract, and try to lease it for the summer? Any advice would be appreciated. And if I get a 12-month contract, I'm going to get a studio almost for sure.

Thanks!

LLs here almost universally only offer 12-month leases, and if they do give you an option for 10-months, it's usually at a very inflated rate, making it basically just as expensive. Most everybody I know just sucks it up and eats those 2+ summer months as vacant. There's just simply way more supply than demand in the summer, and so you'll see 50+ sublets on CL around now, for fractions of the actual rental cost.

That being said, I managed to sublet my place to someone for this coming summer at 2/3 my cost, which around here, I think is pretty good. (But I think I'm more of the exception than the rule.)

EDIT: I don't know if the Hughes deadline has already passed, but another option would be to sublet somewhere during those 2 August weeks. You could probably find a 1br/studio for a couple hundred.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:31 pm

woeisme wrote:
Can be bad. I did this... I had a lakehouse 3L year (with a hot tub and everything). You heard that right... eat your heart out.

Pretty sure that lakehouse is up for grabs for next year.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Lincoln wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Maybe. I know we passed it off to some other law students. Don't know if they're renewing or not. It's a pretty sweet place and when I lived there the price was really reasonable

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 pm

woeisme wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Maybe. I know we passed it off to some other law students. Don't know if they're renewing or not. It's a pretty sweet place and when I lived there the price was really reasonable

Assuming there's really just the one, they're not keeping it.

Place is sweet though.

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:08 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
woeisme wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Assuming there's really just the one, they're not keeping it.

Place is sweet though.

Is there truly a benefit to the lakehouse if its so cold all the time? Factoring the hot tub out of the equation as a hot tub can be had anywhere.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:17 am

its really not cold all the time. there have been so many days where i've been outside and a big yard/lake would have been awesome.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:50 am

breadbucket wrote:Is there truly a benefit to the lakehouse if its so cold all the time? Factoring the hot tub out of the equation as a hot tub can be had anywhere.

How can a hot tub be had anywhere? You're not going to find one in any of the apartments or houses near the law school. But yeah, the views of the lake with the sunrise/sunset are pretty awesome. Place is well insulated too. I mean it was definitely the best when we could chill out back by the lake, but it was a cool place year round

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 pm

what are the best restaurants around town?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

msblaw89 wrote:what are the best restaurants around town?

How best are we talking? Best as in Zagats 30 food, or best as in best deal?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:

Looking for a mix of both...
Best fine dining
Best pizza
Best cheap chinese
Best healthy
And wherever else you find "tasty"

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Looking for a mix of both...
Best fine dining: John Thomas Steakhouse
Best pizza: I'm partial to Collegetown Pizza
Best cheap chinese: Appollo
Best healthy: im12andwhatisthis.jpg
And wherever else you find "tasty"

Best fine dining: John Thomas Steakhouse
Best pizza: I'm partial to Collegetown Pizza
Best cheap chinese: Appollo
Best healthy: im12andwhatisthis.jpg
And wherever else you find "tasty": I'm a fan of CTB and Jack's. Aladdin's and Mexeo are delicious but overpriced.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”