Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:45 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
sf88 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have a dog? or know any 2Ls or 3Ls who do?


I will have a dog with me. The 2L who gave my tour of Myron Taylor during ASW said she has a dog, and that the current #1 and #10 ranked students in her year (as I recall) have dogs as well.

edit: I keep confusing this thread and the class of 2015 thread for whatever reason... I'm a 0L. Sorry!

Do you have any idea where they live? I'm trying to see if living farther out with a yard will be a super inconvenience.


you can have a pretty big yard in college town. might not be able to garden in it though, if thats what your looking for. but if its just space to grill and throw horseshoes there are definitely places in college town that accommodate that

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:56 pm

FlanAl wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
sf88 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have a dog? or know any 2Ls or 3Ls who do?


I will have a dog with me. The 2L who gave my tour of Myron Taylor during ASW said she has a dog, and that the current #1 and #10 ranked students in her year (as I recall) have dogs as well.

edit: I keep confusing this thread and the class of 2015 thread for whatever reason... I'm a 0L. Sorry!

Do you have any idea where they live? I'm trying to see if living farther out with a yard will be a super inconvenience.


you can have a pretty big yard in college town. might not be able to garden in it though, if thats what your looking for. but if its just space to grill and throw horseshoes there are definitely places in college town that accommodate that

No, I don't want to garden haha. I am going to have a dog

MAapplicant
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby MAapplicant » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 pm

How hard/easy is it to get around by car when snow is involved? I wouldn't really mind living 5-10 mi from Cornell, however I am from SoCal so I have never really had to deal with harsh winters or driving in a lot of snow. I do plan on having a car, but am looking for places that are also near a bus route to the school, is local transit there pretty efficient?

Also I have seen a lot of places on Craigslist about places on or close to Cayuga Lake. Any thoughts about these types of areas? Are they too secluded, hard to get to, too far from school?

Lastly, when is most of the good housing gone by? I see a lot of stuff now, but most places want the lease to start in June/July. Is it worth it to pay a couple extra months of rent to snag a good spot, or will there be decent housing options come August when most people start to move back or to Ithaca?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 pm

sf88 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have a dog? or know any 2Ls or 3Ls who do?


I will have a dog with me. The 2L who gave my tour of Myron Taylor during ASW said she has a dog, and that the current #1 and #10 ranked students in her year (as I recall) have dogs as well.

edit: I keep confusing this thread and the class of 2015 thread for whatever reason... I'm a 0L. Sorry!


You're right it was the #1 and #10, I was in your tour group!

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:33 am

Does Cornell lean more to the right or left?

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 am

msblaw89 wrote:Does Cornell lean more to the right or left?


left

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:48 pm

I know we don't really have a choice as 1Ls but...
1. What professors are easier and you actually learn in their class
2. What professors are easy and you don't learn a thing
3. What professors are hard as hell but you learn alot
4. What professors are impossibly hard and you don't learn anything
5. Which professors are middle of the road

If you can also add what they teach

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:21 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I know we don't really have a choice as 1Ls but...
1. What professors are easier and you actually learn in their class
2. What professors are easy and you don't learn a thing
3. What professors are hard as hell but you learn alot
4. What professors are impossibly hard and you don't learn anything
5. Which professors are middle of the road

If you can also add what they teach


1. You don't get ANY choice, so don't worry about it.
2. You realize this is a curve right? As in, there is no "easy' professor?
3. See above, but Holden Smith
4. Clermont.
5. Do you really don't understand how a curve works.

User avatar
Ikki
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Ikki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I know we don't really have a choice as 1Ls but...
1. What professors are easier and you actually learn in their class
2. What professors are easy and you don't learn a thing
3. What professors are hard as hell but you learn alot
4. What professors are impossibly hard and you don't learn anything
5. Which professors are middle of the road

If you can also add what they teach


1. You don't get ANY choice, so don't worry about it.
2. You realize this is a curve right? As in, there is no "easy' professor?
3. See above, but Holden Smith
4. Clermont.
5. Do you really don't understand how a curve works.


I don't even know why you bothered answering.

User avatar
sf88
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sf88 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
sf88 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have a dog? or know any 2Ls or 3Ls who do?


I will have a dog with me. The 2L who gave my tour of Myron Taylor during ASW said she has a dog, and that the current #1 and #10 ranked students in her year (as I recall) have dogs as well.

edit: I keep confusing this thread and the class of 2015 thread for whatever reason... I'm a 0L. Sorry!


You're right it was the #1 and #10, I was in your tour group!


Awesome! Will you be attending Cornell, or have you not decided yet? If you remember what people looked like, I'm obviously the girl who kept asking about dogs...

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I know we don't really have a choice as 1Ls but...
1. What professors are easier and you actually learn in their class
2. What professors are easy and you don't learn a thing
3. What professors are hard as hell but you learn alot
4. What professors are impossibly hard and you don't learn anything
5. Which professors are middle of the road

If you can also add what they teach


1. You don't get ANY choice, so don't worry about it.
2. You realize this is a curve right? As in, there is no "easy' professor?
3. See above, but Holden Smith
4. Clermont.
5. Do you really don't understand how a curve works.



I realize I don't have a choice and there is a curve...but some professors have to be inherently better or easier than others

notchandlerbing
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby notchandlerbing » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:22 pm

If you want to bring a car, are there places to live where finding/having a parking spot isn't a problem?

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Chucky21 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:23 pm

sf88 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:
sf88 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have a dog? or know any 2Ls or 3Ls who do?


I will have a dog with me. The 2L who gave my tour of Myron Taylor during ASW said she has a dog, and that the current #1 and #10 ranked students in her year (as I recall) have dogs as well.

edit: I keep confusing this thread and the class of 2015 thread for whatever reason... I'm a 0L. Sorry!


You're right it was the #1 and #10, I was in your tour group!


Awesome! Will you be attending Cornell, or have you not decided yet? If you remember what people looked like, I'm obviously the girl who kept asking about dogs...


I sent in my deposit a couple of days ago! What about you? I do remember questions about dogs, can't quite remember faces. But I was definitely in your group haha!

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:26 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I know we don't really have a choice as 1Ls but...
1. What professors are easier and you actually learn in their class
2. What professors are easy and you don't learn a thing
3. What professors are hard as hell but you learn alot
4. What professors are impossibly hard and you don't learn anything
5. Which professors are middle of the road

If you can also add what they teach


1. You don't get ANY choice, so don't worry about it.
2. You realize this is a curve right? As in, there is no "easy' professor?
3. See above, but Holden Smith
4. Clermont.
5. Do you really don't understand how a curve works.



I realize I don't have a choice and there is a curve...but some professors have to be inherently better or easier than others



When you get your student ID, you'll get access to CLSevals, which is a student run professor-review site. It's anonymous and helpful.

All professors are good. In any given class of 100, there will be a handful of students that love the prof and a handful that hate him/her.

You'll likely have Hillman for 1st or 2nd semester contracts, who is an incredible dude. Super slow, monotone, goofy humor that I really enjoyed. Some people hated his delivery though.

You'll also possibly have Ohlin for criminal law, who I really love. Super passionate and incredibly smart. He's also really into the normative/philosophy side of crim law. Some people dig that, and other people who might find themselves more drawn to the analytically dry side of the law make angry sighs the entire class.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:28 pm

notchandlerbing wrote:If you want to bring a car, are there places to live where finding/having a parking spot isn't a problem?


Yes. The closer you get to campus, the more expensive it is. I live 4/5 a mile away from Cornell and pay ~$50/month for a single, off-street, uncovered spot. There is a parking garage in collegetown that I believe is over $100/month. It might actually be $200...

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Ikki wrote:
1. You don't get ANY choice, so don't worry about it.
2. You realize this is a curve right? As in, there is no "easy' professor?
3. See above, but Holden Smith
4. Clermont.
5. Do you really don't understand how a curve works.


I don't even know why you bothered answering.[/quote]

I mean, you know me- I can't seem to keep myself from answering questions.

notchandlerbing
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby notchandlerbing » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks! Also, do you think it's too late at this point to get Hughes? I'm thinking I'd prefer to be on campus the first year.

GokartMozart315
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby GokartMozart315 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 pm

How do I work the reserve list? How is it different from a traditional waitlist? How many people are usually admitted off of it?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:33 am

I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything, if I did it was probably a pretty bad LOCI. Depends on your numbers etc.. I was kind of a weird applicant so unfortunately I can't give the best advice but I'd say probably treat it like a wait list. Or if you're like I was, a special wait list for people who don't get wait listed, haha. if its any help I got admitted off of reserve, was never put on a wait list.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 am

Chucky21 wrote:
sf88 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Anyone have a dog? or know any 2Ls or 3Ls who do?


I will have a dog with me. The 2L who gave my tour of Myron Taylor during ASW said she has a dog, and that the current #1 and #10 ranked students in her year (as I recall) have dogs as well.

edit: I keep confusing this thread and the class of 2015 thread for whatever reason... I'm a 0L. Sorry!


You're right it was the #1 and #10, I was in your tour group!


Cornell only ranks the top 5 students, then top 5%. And that only happens after four semesters, so the 2Ls don't know who those students are as of yet. The 2Ls would only know the top 10% cutoff. In addition, any students on the Dean's list -- top 30% -- in each semester are told. (Either way, few students are cavalier about disclosing that sort of stuff.) Perhaps you misunderstood. Either that or that student was lying.

Holden-Smith is amazingly scary, but an amazing professor. Only half of you will have her for Civ Pro, though, since Rossi is back next year.

GokartMozart315
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby GokartMozart315 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 am

FlanAl wrote:I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything, if I did it was probably a pretty bad LOCI. Depends on your numbers etc.. I was kind of a weird applicant so unfortunately I can't give the best advice but I'd say probably treat it like a wait list. Or if you're like I was, a special wait list for people who don't get wait listed, haha. if its any help I got admitted off of reserve, was never put on a wait list.



haha thanks

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 pm

How much do you guys budget for food per month? And do you cook/eat out a lot, etc

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:How much do you guys budget for food per month? And do you cook/eat out a lot, etc


I don't cook nearly enough because I'm too tired / too hungry by the time I remember to eat.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:How much do you guys budget for food AND beer per week? And do you cook/eat out a lot, etc


If you eat out a lot, probably like $170 (most meals in Ithaca cost close to $10). If not then more like $70.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:32 pm

In Ithaca.... Is the traffic always bad near the school?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kaziende and 4 guests