Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 pm

vexion wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Does Ithaca get humid and if so in what months?

It's always humid, if not necessarily 100%. It's 51% today.

Now, hot and humid is a different story. That happens July and August, and about halfway through September. Most of winter is wet and humid (i.e., a frigid reverse hell that chills you to the core).


I don't believe Ithaca is hot and humid...unless you have been to central Florida in August. 90-100 degrees....You look like you ran a marathon when you step outside...and there's no breeze.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:30 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
vexion wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Does Ithaca get humid and if so in what months?

It's always humid, if not necessarily 100%. It's 51% today.

Now, hot and humid is a different story. That happens July and August, and about halfway through September. Most of winter is wet and humid (i.e., a frigid reverse hell that chills you to the core).


I don't believe Ithaca is hot and humid...unless you have been to central Florida in August. 90-100 degrees....You look like you ran a marathon when you step outside...and there's no breeze.


It's way more humid than any inland valley has being, but it's never gross. It gets a little hotter than you'd like but it's always pleasant by the evening.

User avatar
LogicalBaozi
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LogicalBaozi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 pm

sf88 wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:Does Cornell offer support for students looking to SA/eventually work in the Asian offices of New York-Based firms? NYU and Columbia both seem to have a number of programs for bilingual students (or just students with an interest in the area). What does Cornell offer?


I guess I should clarify: Do any of you guys know about the Suzhou thing? The only information was that it was cancelled in 2009; why would anyone even go, unless they couldn't get other legal-related work/SA for the summer?

Second, what does the Clarke Program do? It seems kind of odd, more like an academic exercise than anything related towards helping graduates work in related fields.

Lastly, are there any other similar programs, or does Cornell continue to primarily focus on its strength in placing students into NY?

Thanks!


Are you actually bilingual, or did you only study Chinese at the university level? From what I've heard, you need to have true native fluency to be competitive for placement in the Asian offices. My first language is Cantonese, but my reading and writing skills aren't great and I doubt I would have any chance at a HK office. This is what I understand from speaking with someone who works in an Asian office. TLS community wisdom may be different.

Edit for disclaimer: I'm a 0L and don't know anything besides what I've heard from my contact at an Asian office.


Skip this if you dislike things that may come off as arrogant/bragging:
Not a native speaker, but HSK 6 with honors (max level, didn't study for it). Most people can't tell I'm not a native speaker if they only speak to me over the phone, even if we're discussing economics/politics/that awesome new law that makes lawyers swear loyalty to the communist party and its leadership (though I tend to out myself after awhile, my accent wanders quite a bit). I read novels/dissertations in Chinese, but haven't really tackled Chinese legalese extensively (I tried translating some property law things into normal Chinese, the project stalled when I ran out of time). I did study it at the University level, tested through all undergraduate courses my sophomore year, would have gotten an MA alongside my BS/BA if it didn't require spending an extra year in China....

tl;dr I'm confident that if hiring is not restricted to native speakers only, I'd be in the running. Looking at several V100 firms with offices in Asia, there is a minority of associates with skin pigmentation rivaling my own deathly pallor. It is, however, a small minority, depending on the firm.

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Chucky21 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:47 am

Does anyone have any experience with negotiating merit-based aid? Do scholarship offers from lower ranked schools give any kind of leverage? Obviously not to match it but to get something.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Chucky21 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with negotiating merit-based aid? Do scholarship offers from lower ranked schools give any kind of leverage? Obviously not to match it but to get something.


The farther down the ladder...the less likely. If you have a substantial scholarship in the 15-17 range I think it would help. Possible a large scholarship from lower ranked school, but NY schools, might help too.

User avatar
sf88
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sf88 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:52 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:
sf88 wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:Does Cornell offer support for students looking to SA/eventually work in the Asian offices of New York-Based firms? NYU and Columbia both seem to have a number of programs for bilingual students (or just students with an interest in the area). What does Cornell offer?


I guess I should clarify: Do any of you guys know about the Suzhou thing? The only information was that it was cancelled in 2009; why would anyone even go, unless they couldn't get other legal-related work/SA for the summer?

Second, what does the Clarke Program do? It seems kind of odd, more like an academic exercise than anything related towards helping graduates work in related fields.

Lastly, are there any other similar programs, or does Cornell continue to primarily focus on its strength in placing students into NY?

Thanks!


Are you actually bilingual, or did you only study Chinese at the university level? From what I've heard, you need to have true native fluency to be competitive for placement in the Asian offices. My first language is Cantonese, but my reading and writing skills aren't great and I doubt I would have any chance at a HK office. This is what I understand from speaking with someone who works in an Asian office. TLS community wisdom may be different.

Edit for disclaimer: I'm a 0L and don't know anything besides what I've heard from my contact at an Asian office.


Skip this if you dislike things that may come off as arrogant/bragging:
Not a native speaker, but HSK 6 with honors (max level, didn't study for it). Most people can't tell I'm not a native speaker if they only speak to me over the phone, even if we're discussing economics/politics/that awesome new law that makes lawyers swear loyalty to the communist party and its leadership (though I tend to out myself after awhile, my accent wanders quite a bit). I read novels/dissertations in Chinese, but haven't really tackled Chinese legalese extensively (I tried translating some property law things into normal Chinese, the project stalled when I ran out of time). I did study it at the University level, tested through all undergraduate courses my sophomore year, would have gotten an MA alongside my BS/BA if it didn't require spending an extra year in China....

tl;dr I'm confident that if hiring is not restricted to native speakers only, I'd be in the running. Looking at several V100 firms with offices in Asia, there is a minority of associates with skin pigmentation rivaling my own deathly pallor. It is, however, a small minority, depending on the firm.


In that case you have a much better chance. Sorry for the skepticism - I've just encountered many Asian language majors who claim to be bilingual but could barely order food without sounding foolish. I think a lot of foreign hiring (in Asian offices) also depends on practice areas and specialties.

User avatar
LogicalBaozi
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LogicalBaozi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:18 pm

sf88 wrote:
In that case you have a much better chance. Sorry for the skepticism - I've just encountered many Asian language majors who claim to be bilingual but could barely order food without sounding foolish. I think a lot of foreign hiring (in Asian offices) also depends on practice areas and specialties.


Skepticism much deserved. Even many majors who have studied abroad just hung out with other students and expats, or the same group of locals who hang out with the foreign students year in and year out.

Most offices tend to be M&A/CM heavy, but plenty of lit firms have offices as well.

But yeah, before we continue our own conversation on the side a bit too much: Are there are programs at Cornell similar to what NYU/CLS offer for students interested in such work?

I also saw a CLSer mentioning that some Asian offices of firms show up directly to OCI there (separate interviews). Does that happen at Cornell, or nothing but NY offices?

User avatar
sf88
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sf88 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:
sf88 wrote:
In that case you have a much better chance. Sorry for the skepticism - I've just encountered many Asian language majors who claim to be bilingual but could barely order food without sounding foolish. I think a lot of foreign hiring (in Asian offices) also depends on practice areas and specialties.


Skepticism much deserved. Even many majors who have studied abroad just hung out with other students and expats, or the same group of locals who hang out with the foreign students year in and year out.

Most offices tend to be M&A/CM heavy, but plenty of lit firms have offices as well.

But yeah, before we continue our own conversation on the side a bit too much: Are there are programs at Cornell similar to what NYU/CLS offer for students interested in such work?

I also saw a CLSer mentioning that some Asian offices of firms show up directly to OCI there (separate interviews). Does that happen at Cornell, or nothing but NY offices?


There's the study abroad programs with partner schools in HK and mainland. The Clarke Program sounds interesting, but more academically focus. The admitted student handbook had some information about courses on East Asian law. Other than that, not sure how much active support there is for placement in Asia. I do know that Cornell is highly regarded by Asian offices. I'm actually pretty interested in your question as well, since I'd love to work in HK.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Any thoughts on why our class has set the langfan record? I signed up because I figured some worry free public speaking practice would be helpful, but I'm not sure how seriously everyone else is taking it.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 pm

FlanAl wrote:Any thoughts on why our class has set the langfan record? I signed up because I figured some worry free public speaking practice would be helpful, but I'm not sure how seriously everyone else is taking it.


I know multiple people who are only reading the packet and no cases. Few people are taking it that seriously.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 pm

FlanAl wrote:Any thoughts on why our class has set the langfan record? I signed up because I figured some worry free public speaking practice would be helpful, but I'm not sure how seriously everyone else is taking it.


On the other pole, I ran into one guy in the library reading the law review article mentioned in the packet like 4 hours after the problem came out. So there's that...

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:34 pm

PinkCow wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Any thoughts on why our class has set the langfan record? I signed up because I figured some worry free public speaking practice would be helpful, but I'm not sure how seriously everyone else is taking it.


On the other pole, I ran into one guy in the library reading the law review article mentioned in the packet like 4 hours after the problem came out. So there's that...


There's a law review article? Shit...

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby paulshortys10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Anyone know if there are any stipulations attached to the scholarships? All the PDF said was that we had to be "in good standing".

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:06 am

paulshortys10 wrote:Anyone know if there are any stipulations attached to the scholarships? All the PDF said was that we had to be "in good standing".


No stips. Pretty sure it says the grant is for 3 years.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:03 am

can anyone with t-mobile as their service provider attest to their signal quality and mobile internet quality (4g in particular) in ithaca? it's pretty terrible here in southern california, and if it's any worse there i'll probably need to change providers.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby horrorbusiness » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:29 am

any 1Ls in clermont's civ pro today with the admitted students? seems like a fairly funny/chill professor.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Killingly » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:03 am

horrorbusiness wrote:any 1Ls in clermont's civ pro today with the admitted students? seems like a fairly funny/chill professor.


Wasn't at ASD but sat in on this class during my visit. He definitely seems like a great prof.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:51 am

you dudes were in my class. as of now clermont is super chill but I've heard his exam kinda sucks

User avatar
Pato_09
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Pato_09 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:53 am

horrorbusiness wrote:any 1Ls in clermont's civ pro today with the admitted students? seems like a fairly funny/chill professor.


Fairly funny yes; chill not so much.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby KMaine » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:06 am

Pato_09 wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:any 1Ls in clermont's civ pro today with the admitted students? seems like a fairly funny/chill professor.


Fairly funny yes; chill not so much.


This. I am happy that I had him for a prof. He is good, and class is enjoyable. Exam is more quirky than it is difficult.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:16 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Any thoughts on why our class has set the langfan record? I signed up because I figured some worry free public speaking practice would be helpful, but I'm not sure how seriously everyone else is taking it.


On the other pole, I ran into one guy in the library reading the law review article mentioned in the packet like 4 hours after the problem came out. So there's that...


There's a law review article? Shit...


You lied to me.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Anyone live in Campus Hill apartments? Or are they undergrad USA

User avatar
oliverlovesyou
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby oliverlovesyou » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 pm

This filter for April fools day is horribly annoying. Reading that the average apartment in Ithaca is "mad scrilla+" is unhelpful. I do like calling l.oans ponies though.

ocuviper
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ocuviper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:46 am

Can anyone who is going to Cornell at sticker share their sentiments about paying so much money for their education?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:46 am

you can go under the total cost of attendance figure by a pretty serious amount. I'm not sure since I'm not paying sticker (and it worked out to be one of my least expensive options, TBF I didn't get "mad skrilla" from them either) but I'm pretty sure that if you are smart about it, it can end up being a lot cheaper than other t14s.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests