Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
msblaw89

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
PinkCow wrote:I had a decent (I think a little more than 2/3) scholarship to WUSTL and failed. Wasn't really thinking it would work, but gave it a shot. It's not like they're going to deny your admission if you say "please sir can I have some more". Just be polite and somewhat realistic. (Don't try to wave around a full ride at Hofstra - even my plea was pushing it IMO).

Of course, that was back when WUSTL was # 18 :P

What did Cornell offer you to begin with?

Not much. 10K/yr (30 total)

Could you PM stats and whether you were needs based? Only if you are comfortable

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:18 pm

I don't like living in dorm settings but I think I probably should because I tend to procrastinate and get distracted easily if I'm living on my own. I think I will probably be more focused and motivated if I'm at hughes... haven't decided yet though

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 pm

while on the topic of financial aid - are any current students receiving a substantial amount of need-based aid? i know that need and merit-based aid are sometimes conflated. but perhaps someone with dire financial need and lower #'s can chime in. i'm wondering because i received the maximum need-based grant from UCLA - $20k/year.

people always say on here that need-based aid exists only at HYS, but clearly that's not true. is it likely that cornell will offer me a similar amount, or more (since their tuition is much higher)? my numbers don't really warrant any merit-based aid, to be sure: 3.37/167.

PS: yes, i already submitted all my financial aid paperwork to Cornell and am just waiting on their response. yes, i checked LSN already - it doesn't give a clear answer to my particular question.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Are you URM?

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:16 pm

PinkCow wrote:Are you URM?

si

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:24 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:

si

I have a feeling that my Cornell aid (10K/yr) was solely need-based, and my numbers may be close to the non-URM equivalent of yours. So maybe that.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Is there even Hugh's next year? I thought the school was just going to rent out a block of apartments or something. Anyways I would assume it would be less dormish than it has been before

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:31 pm

PinkCow wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:

si

I have a feeling that my Cornell aid (10K/yr) was solely need-based, and my numbers may be close to the non-URM equivalent of yours. So maybe that.

yikes. more, hopefully! i'll update here when i find out.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 am

i know it's been done ITT before, but browsing the last bunch of pages i couldn't find it.

can someone suggest hotels to stay in for the ASW? i'm looking for proximity to the law school and best value.

also, which are within walking distance of the school? say, ~2 miles?

PS: i'm researching this on my own already, but am interested in your guys' opinions and anecdotes.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:30 am

horrorbusiness wrote:i know it's been done ITT before, but browsing the last bunch of pages i couldn't find it.

can someone suggest hotels to stay in for the ASW? i'm looking for proximity to the law school and best value.

also, which are within walking distance of the school? say, ~2 miles?

PS: i'm researching this on my own already, but am interested in your guys' opinions and anecdotes.

I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn. Had to walk uphill to get to campus, but it was a nice place.

And to FlanAl: Yeah, they're still offering Hughes.

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Does Cornell offer support for students looking to SA/eventually work in the Asian offices of New York-Based firms? NYU and Columbia both seem to have a number of programs for bilingual students (or just students with an interest in the area). What does Cornell offer?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:49 am

Does any 1L have access (or know where I could find) employment data for the class of 2011? Does Cornell keep a record of where (what law firm, judge, government agency, etc.) each graduate got a job with? I've seen some schools the publish these details, but I can't find it just on the Cornell website

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Quite famously, Cornell published a list of where the Class of 2010 and 2011 worked as summer associates. After that list was leaked to Above the Law, they decided not to do the same for the class of 2012. Any 3L should have it. If you are interested in particular firms/judges, Career Services may be able to do something for you.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 pm

KMaine wrote:Quite famously, Cornell published a list of where the Class of 2010 and 2011 worked as summer associates. After that list was leaked to Above the Law, they decided not to do the same for the class of 2012. Any 3L should have it. If you are interested in particular firms/judges, Career Services may be able to do something for you.

Whatever asshole leaked that should be hung from the freedom tower.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 pm

KMaine wrote:Quite famously, Cornell published a list of where the Class of 2010 and 2011 worked as summer associates. After that list was leaked to Above the Law, they decided not to do the same for the class of 2012. Any 3L should have it. If you are interested in particular firms/judges, Career Services may be able to do something for you.

I found something like that...but I though it was what firms came to the job fair? It seemed to name just about every v30-50 firm

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 pm

The one that they sent us had names associated with it, so it may not be what you have seen. It was just law firms, not government agencies, etc. It was also only the students who agreed that [then 1Ls] could contact them.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Do you know how/where I could get in contact with a 3L?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:04 pm

If you want it without names, you can get it on the Above the Law website. I think they archive old posts. If you go to Cornell, I think most 3Ls would give you a copy. If not, I don't think they would want to risk getting hanged from the freedom tower.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

KMaine wrote:If you want it without names, you can get it on the Above the Law website. I think they archive old posts. If you go to Cornell, I think most 3Ls would give you a copy. If not, I don't think they would want to risk getting hanged from the freedom tower.

To be fair, the top floor is locked.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
KMaine wrote:If you want it without names, you can get it on the Above the Law website. I think they archive old posts. If you go to Cornell, I think most 3Ls would give you a copy. If not, I don't think they would want to risk getting hanged from the freedom tower.

To be fair, the top floor is locked.

This is true

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:57 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:Does Cornell offer support for students looking to SA/eventually work in the Asian offices of New York-Based firms? NYU and Columbia both seem to have a number of programs for bilingual students (or just students with an interest in the area). What does Cornell offer?

I guess I should clarify: Do any of you guys know about the Suzhou thing? The only information was that it was cancelled in 2009; why would anyone even go, unless they couldn't get other legal-related work/SA for the summer?

Second, what does the Clarke Program do? It seems kind of odd, more like an academic exercise than anything related towards helping graduates work in related fields.

Lastly, are there any other similar programs, or does Cornell continue to primarily focus on its strength in placing students into NY?

Thanks!

sf88

Postby sf88 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:Does Cornell offer support for students looking to SA/eventually work in the Asian offices of New York-Based firms? NYU and Columbia both seem to have a number of programs for bilingual students (or just students with an interest in the area). What does Cornell offer?

I guess I should clarify: Do any of you guys know about the Suzhou thing? The only information was that it was cancelled in 2009; why would anyone even go, unless they couldn't get other legal-related work/SA for the summer?

Second, what does the Clarke Program do? It seems kind of odd, more like an academic exercise than anything related towards helping graduates work in related fields.

Lastly, are there any other similar programs, or does Cornell continue to primarily focus on its strength in placing students into NY?

Thanks!

Are you actually bilingual, or did you only study Chinese at the university level? From what I've heard, you need to have true native fluency to be competitive for placement in the Asian offices. My first language is Cantonese, but my reading and writing skills aren't great and I doubt I would have any chance at a HK office. This is what I understand from speaking with someone who works in an Asian office. TLS community wisdom may be different.

Edit for disclaimer: I'm a 0L and don't know anything besides what I've heard from my contact at an Asian office.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Does Ithaca get humid and if so in what months?

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Does Ithaca get humid and if so in what months?

It's always humid, if not necessarily 100%. It's 51% today.

Now, hot and humid is a different story. That happens July and August, and about halfway through September. Most of winter is wet and humid (i.e., a frigid reverse hell that chills you to the core).

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:30 pm

vexion wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Does Ithaca get humid and if so in what months?

It's always humid, if not necessarily 100%. It's 51% today.

Now, hot and humid is a different story. That happens July and August, and about halfway through September. Most of winter is wet and humid (i.e., a frigid reverse hell that chills you to the core).

Summers are actually quite nice.

(I keep telling myself that's true).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”