Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PinkCow

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Gyms suck. The closest to the LS is Noyes. If you go on an off hour (read: super early or super late) it's not too bad. Any other time there's basically a line for everything and it's wall to wall people. Seriously. The gym itself is built really poorly with pillars all over the place, and so you're in everybody's way all of the time. Also, if you're into machines, there are basically none there (free weights and treadmills/bikes).

If you're willing to walk an extra 10 minutes, Teagle is the best (more free weights/platforms + a separate machine/treadmill room upstairs), but it's only slightly bigger and suffers from the same overcrowding problem as the other gyms.

For the money, it's not bad, but the space is very, very disappointing for a school this size. It's really a hassle.

EDIT: There are a couple other main gyms on campus: Helen Newman and Appel or something. Neither are really within walking distance to the LS. I've been to HN and it's OK. Maybe a tiny bigger than Noyes. It's also smack in the middle of all of the dorms, so it's also crowded all of the time. Also, no platforms.
There are also other gyms around town. Most of them are quite a bit pricier than the on-campus options. There is also a Planet Fitness in the mall (about a 10 minute drive from campus). If you're only into machines/treadmills, that might be a good option, but they don't have any benches or anything. I think you can get a pass for $9.99/mo.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:24 pm

PinkCow wrote:Gyms suck. The closest to the LS is Noyes. If you go on an off hour (read: super early or super late) it's not too bad. Any other time there's basically a line for everything and it's wall to wall people. Seriously. The gym itself is built really poorly with pillars all over the place, and so you're in everybody's way all of the time. Also, if you're into machines, there are basically none there (free weights and treadmills/bikes).

If you're willing to walk an extra 10 minutes, Teagle is the best (more free weights/platforms + a separate machine/treadmill room upstairs), but it's only slightly bigger and suffers from the same overcrowding problem as the other gyms.

For the money, it's not bad, but the space is very, very disappointing for a school this size. It's really a hassle.

EDIT: There are a couple other main gyms on campus: Helen Newman and Appel or something. Neither are really within walking distance to the LS. I've been to HN and it's OK. Maybe a tiny bigger than Noyes. It's also smack in the middle of all of the dorms, so it's also crowded all of the time. Also, no platforms.
There are also other gyms around town. Most of them are quite a bit pricier than the on-campus options. There is also a Planet Fitness in the mall (about a 10 minute drive from campus). If you're only into machines/treadmills, that might be a good option, but they don't have any benches or anything. I think you can get a pass for $9.99/mo.

Is the gym crowded b/c there is nothing else to do? UF is a fairly large school and we have one large gym and one smaller. If you go anywhere from 8-10 in the morning there is usually no one and I feel like I have the entire weight room to myself (Cardio room is separate on 1st/2nd floor). If Cornell has more gyms and less students I'm just wondering why the crowding issue?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:32 pm

people at cornell are just more built than the kids at UF...

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:37 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Gyms suck. The closest to the LS is Noyes. If you go on an off hour (read: super early or super late) it's not too bad. Any other time there's basically a line for everything and it's wall to wall people. Seriously. The gym itself is built really poorly with pillars all over the place, and so you're in everybody's way all of the time. Also, if you're into machines, there are basically none there (free weights and treadmills/bikes).

Is the gym crowded b/c there is nothing else to do? UF is a fairly large school and we have one large gym and one smaller. If you go anywhere from 8-10 in the morning there is usually no one and I feel like I have the entire weight room to myself (Cardio room is separate on 1st/2nd floor). If Cornell has more gyms and less students I'm just wondering why the crowding issue?

Maybe "large" is larger down south. I'm not a very good visualizer, but I estimate Noyes only has about 1000 sq ft. or less of usable space. Probably closer to 800.

And we are all built.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:43 pm

PinkCow wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Maybe "large" is larger down south. I'm not a very good visualizer, but I estimate Noyes only has about 1000 sq ft. or less of usable space. Probably closer to 800.

And we are all built.

Oh, okay. Well I guess UF is larger at about 46,000 sqft

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:23 am

Hey what dates are most of you working for this summer? I feel like it would be kinda nice to be done by AJF but I'm not positive what the usual time frame is. Do most people start like 6/1 and end 8/14 to get 10 weeks? Seems weird to have to fly out for AJF and then go back for like your last week of work. Any thoughts?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:52 am

FlanAl wrote:Hey what dates are most of you working for this summer? I feel like it would be kinda nice to be done by AJF but I'm not positive what the usual time frame is. Do most people start like 6/1 and end 8/14 to get 10 weeks? Seems weird to have to fly out for AJF and then go back for like your last week of work. Any thoughts?

I'm working 5/31-8/3

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Anyone know what Cornell considers a low EFC verses a high EFC? I sent in FAFSA and NeedsAccess and I am trying to figure out if I can get any $$

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on hughes? Is it worth it for a 1L?

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Chucky21 wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on hughes? Is it worth it for a 1L?

Read the thread.

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:03 am

I know this has been touched on a bit earlier, but how gunnerish/study crazy is Cornell relative to other schools? The Princeton Review consistently ranks Cornell as having students who study more than those at almost any other school in the country.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... iew-1.html

This seems like a huge red flag of misery to me. If anybody who has friends at Cornell but is familiar with environments at other schools that would be helpful.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 am

EdgarWinter wrote:I know this has been touched on a bit earlier, but how gunnerish/study crazy is Cornell relative to other schools? The Princeton Review consistently ranks Cornell as having students who study more than those at almost any other school in the country.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... iew-1.html

This seems like a huge red flag of misery to me. If anybody who has friends at Cornell but is familiar with environments at other schools that would be helpful.

This was LITERALLY answered on the previous page of the thread.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:21 am

Honestly neither Noyes nor Teagle are that bad. Only once have I showed up to Noyes and they asked us to wait 5 minutes because gym was over capacity. If you know enough exercises you'll always have something to do while waiting for machines/benches to open up. Also communication works. You'd be surprised how willing people would be to work in with you if you just ask.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:05 am

I have some questions for you 1L's.

1.How friendly is the atmosphere among the students? What I mean is....Is everyone trying to compete against each other, or are people really helpful and share outlines and such? How common are study groups?

2.Random question of the day:Are there crossfit gyms? Are there any MMA/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gyms? Obviously I probably won't be having the time to join one as a 1L, but I'd still like to know.

3.I know a variation of this question has been asked before. Out of the people that want to work in LA, how many actually find employment there?

Thanks!

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 pm

So living in collegetown definitely seems like the most convenient (albeit expensive) option. Does its proximity to campus mean that it's full of undergrads? Can anyone recommend an apartment complex that is primarily grad students?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:08 pm

crabcakes wrote:So living in collegetown definitely seems like the most convenient (albeit expensive) option. Does its proximity to campus mean that it's full of undergrads? Can anyone recommend an apartment complex that is primarily grad students?

would like to know this as well

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:10 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
crabcakes wrote:So living in collegetown definitely seems like the most convenient (albeit expensive) option. Does its proximity to campus mean that it's full of undergrads? Can anyone recommend an apartment complex that is primarily grad students?

+1. Going to visit next week.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:03 am

Killingly wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

+1. Going to visit next week.

There are only a few true apartment complexes in C-Town, and I'm pretty sure all of them have a bunch of undergrads. I think 312 college ave is the nicest/most expensive (http://www.312collegeave.com/.

http://www.ithacarenting.com/ct_plaza.php is another one of the main "complex" providers. All of them are expensive for the size and a bit dormy/hotely feeling.

The most common route is to go with an apartment unit in a shared house. There are quite a few landlords that do that and typically cater to grad students e.g., http://pjapartments.com/. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference as grad students can be noisy/horrible housemates too.

In other news, if any of y'all wanna grab a drink or something when you're visiting campus, feel free to PM me. I like to have excuses not to do work.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:18 am

I live in lower college town. It's super quiet, my apartment is giant and affordable and really nice, and the walk is steep but entirely doable.

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:31 am

Arbiter213 wrote:I live in lower college town. It's super quiet, my apartment is giant and affordable and really nice, and the walk is steep but entirely doable.

What's considered lower college town? Do you live in a 1bd?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 am

crabcakes wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I live in lower college town. It's super quiet, my apartment is giant and affordable and really nice, and the walk is steep but entirely doable.

What's considered lower college town? Do you live in a 1bd?

Lower college town is anywhere on the hill below Eddy Street before the commons. And no, I have a 2br

spiritniffler189

Postby spiritniffler189 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Do most 1L's live in studios/one bedroom apts?

How screwed would someone be to start looking for apts in late May? Don't think I'll be able to visit again before then.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:03 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:Do most 1L's live in studios/one bedroom apts?

How screwed would someone be to start looking for apts in late May? Don't think I'll be able to visit again before then.

Not entirely screwed, but things might be picked over. Pay off a current student to go look at places/ take photos for you, if you want to gun for a good apartment.

And not most- many share places after finding roommates through the facebook group.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:58 pm

i got my spot in july. i actually won't be renting it next year (my plan is to only be here first semester and extern for the second). pm me if you're interested.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:Do most 1L's live in studios/one bedroom apts?

Not entirely screwed, but things might be picked over. Pay off a current student to go look at places/ take photos for you, if you want to gun for a good apartment.

And not most- many share places after finding roommates through the facebook group.

Can you and other 1ls rattle off some more common apts and streets near Cornell or where 1ls live..I'm hearing a lot of "downtown" or "collegetown" but I have no idea apt names or street names. I see dryden road pop up quite a bit

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”