Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Right now, I'm selecting between UVA and Cornell. Would appreciate input/feedback. Thanks! Background: Born and raised in SoCal, went to USC for undergrad, majored in PoliSci (really limits it down, eh)

1) What are the pros and cons of having one of the smallest class sizes amongst top law schools (less than 200 students, 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio)?
2) Could you speak to the level of Cornell’s “renown” in CA and NY?
3) How bad is the Ithaca winter?
4) In terms of proximity to the school and pricing, where is the best place to live?
5) Is it easy to get around Ithaca by feet? Also, how is the public transit system?
6) I read from the TLS profile that Cornell Law students were ranked as the “hardest working law students in the nation”. Can you comment on that?

Thanks!
1. Pro: Classes are small and easy to gun in ask questions when you're genuinely confused. Con: Not as many people to meet/ befriend and people are up in people's business.
2. Cornell's prestige in NY is pretty much as strong as it can be without being Harvard or Yale. I think saying we compete on an even footing with NYU is completely fair- Columbia maybe a slight edge. Basically doesn't get much better. Certainly better than UVA. Cali it is good too, and probably about as good as UVA, but not as good as the obvious comparisons of UCLA and Cal.
3. This winter has been fine. It's really not that bad, though you might not like it. Just layer.
4. Proximity vs. Price, probably lower hill or Eddy street. The real thing ot remember is the third variable: quality. Cheap, nice, or close. Pick two.
5. It is easy to get around on foot... as long as you can deal with hills. There's a great bus system that you get unlimited access to as a 1L though.
6. We work hard.

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Reminder -- Don't live in Hughes. Worst decision of my 1st year.
What issues are you having?
I've heard that they're getting rid of Hughes, does anyone know when this is taking place?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Would anyone who has access to a solid outline for Penalver's property course mind PMing me?

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 pm

duckmoney wrote:Would anyone who has access to a solid outline for Penalver's property course mind PMing me?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Right now, I'm selecting between UVA and Cornell. Would appreciate input/feedback. Thanks! Background: Born and raised in SoCal, went to USC for undergrad, majored in PoliSci (really limits it down, eh)

1) What are the pros and cons of having one of the smallest class sizes amongst top law schools (less than 200 students, 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio)?
4) In terms of proximity to the school and pricing, where is the best place to live?
5) Is it easy to get around Ithaca by feet? Also, how is the public transit system?
6) I read from the TLS profile that Cornell Law students were ranked as the “hardest working law students in the nation”. Can you comment on that?

Thanks!
When I was looking at SA's in So Cal last year when I was applying UVA was killing it. As far as hard working I think that is mostly to do with the graded legal writing and 4 substantive classes every semester. I think most schools have P/F legal writing and only take 3 substantive classes. I ED'd Uva last year so I guess you know where I would have picked haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks!
1. I think it's overwhelmingly pro. Easy to get to know professors for recommendations, etc. Only con is there's no such thing as disappearing in the crowd. Everyone knows your gossip.
2. In NYC it's stellar. I was surprised at how well I did at OCI, tbh. Only T6 (arguably, only YH+Columbia, but that's a whole other debate) are better if you want NYC BigLaw. In CA Cornell's reputation is good, but the alumni community is small. I had offers on both coasts, and I know plenty of people going to CA.
3. This winter hasn't really been a winter. Last winter was brutal. But everything is close, and there are plenty of things to do close to the school/collegetown.
4. Arbiter21 is right. Pick two of cheap, nice, close. I picked the first two, which by Ithaca standards means I pay $500 and it takes me 15 mins to get to class by foot (uphill) or bus. I prefer to live closer to downtown for eating and nightlife, as I like to avoid the fratty hell that is Collegetown if I can. But you can also have a swag 1BR a block from the law school if you want to pay $1,500 for the pleasure.
5. You can walk pretty much anywhere (except to Wegman's, where everyone does their grocery shopping). The bus works fine if you live downtown, or if you need to go to the airport, or whatever. Buses to NYC leave every 2-3 hours from right by the law school. You'll know people with cars, too.
6. I def worked harder than my friends at other schools, but it was worth it when I knew twice the civ pro anyone else did at my 1L summer gig. Not everyone works that hard, though, and if you want to cruise, you can, with outline banks, E&Es and whatnot. But you're also paying money for the pleasure, so why not learn as much as you can and get the best grades you can? You can chill as a 3L.

Edited for terrible grammar and spelling.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Lincoln wrote:

Thanks!
1. I think it's overwhelmingly pro. Easy to get to know professors for recommendations, etc. Only con is there's no such thing as disappearing in the crowd. Everyone knows your gossip.
2. In NYC it's stellar. I was surprised at how well I did at OCI, tbh. Only T6 (arguably, only YH+Columbia, but that's a whole other debate) are better if you want NYC BigLaw. In CA Cornell's reputation is good, but the alumni community is small. I had offers on both coasts, and I know plenty of people going to CA.
3. This winter hasn't really been a winter. Last winter was brutal. But everything is close, and there are plenty of things to do close to the school/collegetown.
4. Arbiter21 is right. Pick two of cheap, nice, close. I picked the first two, which by Ithaca standards means I pay $500 and it takes me 15 mins to get to class by foot (uphill) or bus. I prefer to live closer to downtown for eating and nightlife, as I like to avoid the fratty hell that is Collegetown if I can. But you can also have a swag 1BR a block from the law school if you want to pay $1,500 for the pleasure.
5. You can walk pretty much anywhere (except to Wegman's, where everyone does their grocery shopping). The bus works fine if you live downtown, or if you need to go to the airport, or whatever. Buses to NYC leave every 2-3 hours from right by the law school. You'll know people with cars, too.
6. I def worked harder than my friends at other schools, but it was worth it when I knew twice the civ pro anyone else did at my 1L summer gig. Not everyone works that hard, though, and if you want to cruise, you can, with outline banks, E&Es and whatnot. But you're also paying money for the pleasure, so why not learn as much as you can and get the best grades you can? You can chill as a 3L.

Who are you?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 am

vexion wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Thanks!

Who are you?
I'm curious about this too. Though I don't know who you are either Vex.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

part of me thinks it would be cool to know everyone but the other part is happy that i can be a jackass on here with no one in reality the wiser. i'm sure we'd all get along though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 am

FlanAl wrote:part of me thinks it would be cool to know everyone but the other part is happy that i can be a jackass on here with no one in reality the wiser. i'm sure we'd all get along though
Dude, you've outed yourself a couple of times already.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:21 am

yeah but I thought I edited it out. i thought you were the only one who figured it out because of your sd know how. anyways i guess i'm not too anonymous haha. best stay nice on the thread anyways.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:31 am

FlanAl wrote:yeah but I thought I edited it out. i thought you were the only one who figured it out because of your sd know how. anyways i guess i'm not too anonymous haha. best stay nice on the thread anyways.
No one really cares really (watch out for PinkCow, johansantana, Arbiter, and myself!). I'm actually surprised that we have such a small base of Cornell 1L regulars on TLS, either that or there are some lurkers too paranoid to post.

god, I can find any shitty excuse to procrastinate writing this memo, 600 words in six hours!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 am

god, I can find any shitty excuse to procrastinate writing this memo, 600 words in six hours![/quote]

tell me about it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:43 am

Ikki wrote:
FlanAl wrote:yeah but I thought I edited it out. i thought you were the only one who figured it out because of your sd know how. anyways i guess i'm not too anonymous haha. best stay nice on the thread anyways.
No one really cares really (watch out for PinkCow, johansantana, Arbiter, and myself!). I'm actually surprised that we have such a small base of Cornell 1L regulars on TLS, either that or there are some lurkers too paranoid to post.

god, I can find any shitty excuse to procrastinate writing this memo, 600 words in six hours!
I only know who some of you are, but I know people know who I am.

I heard people thought real life me was johansantanna and I did not like that- I at least pretend not to be a dick on here.

Also, fuck this memo.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:45 am

the only person I've identified is Ikki, other than that I have no idea who anyone else is haha

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 am

FlanAl wrote:the only person I've identified is Ikki, other than that I have no idea who anyone else is haha
I have no idea who you are but know enough that I could figure it out. I figured out who johansantanna is. Wasn't worth the time, but was a good way to procrastinate.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 am

So I take it all of us TLS warriors are failing the brief?

*Checking in to the fail patrol
Last edited by PinkCow on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:00 am

Yup.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am

PinkCow wrote:So I take it all of us TLS warriors are failing the brief?

*Checking in to the fail patrol
Yup.

MAapplicant

New

Post by MAapplicant » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 am

Would you consider Ithaca to be runner friendly?

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:45 am

MAapplicant wrote:Would you consider Ithaca to be runner friendly?
I have spent a lot of time in Ithaca, and as a runner myself I would say it is very runner friendly. Some areas are better than others, but there are many places to go for a good run. There are some good trails in the woods, those are really nice. And in terms of urban running not all roads have sidewalks, but a lot around the campus do, and those that dont usually have a wide shoulder. A lot of runners and bikers in Ithaca, and also a lot of hills.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:58 am

gabewatch wrote:
I have spent a lot of time in Ithaca, and as a runner myself I would say it is very runner friendly. Some areas are better than others, but there are many places to go for a good run. There are some good trails in the woods, those are really nice. And in terms of urban running not all roads have sidewalks, but a lot around the campus do, and those that dont usually have a wide shoulder. A lot of runners and bikers in Ithaca, and also a lot of hills.

True. On the other hand, you could just be a typical Ithacan and RUN ABREAST RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. I can't tell you how many times I've come around a corner in Cayuga Heights and almost flattened a whole group of runners that choose to take up an entire street lane (while a perfectly good sidewalk is less than 10 feet away). :evil:

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 pm

I would say yes. Especially around the law school there was a nice circular path I would use that had some nice gradual hills and some steep climbs in it. I probably spent more time then I should have spring 1L year running outside when I should have been reading. But it gets really pretty on the paths come late spring.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:42 pm

There's lots of great running, especially if you're into trail running. The South Hill recreation way and buttermilk falls state park make for a nice 10+ mile loop with some significant elevation (1000+ ft) that's about 2/3 trails. From the law school around the plantations and Beebee lake back is about 5 miles with a few miles on trails. There are also lots of nice loops by stewart park and cass park, and up north of campus by the golf course. Sometimes I run to the mall, which is mostly roads, but little traffic and nice views of the lake.

The one caveat: when the winter is bad (like last year), it's hard to run. -5 and a foot of snow doesn't exactly constitute ideal running conditions.

MAapplicant

New

Post by MAapplicant » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks! I actually was wondering what the gym situation is like there. Any suggestions or reviews of gyms in the area? I am intent on not falling off my workout track as I think it will be one of things that will help keep my sanity during my first year. 8 :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”