Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Killingly

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Killingly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:12 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Killingly wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Killingly wrote:Got into Cornell today, so it's Cornell vs Michigan now. It will probably come down to aid/feel of the school. Does anyone know when aid packages will be released? I assume it's sometime after the March 15 deadline. Also, is there any chance I might receive a small merit scholly or is merit aid determined at the time of admissions?

Also, I'm able to go to Michigan's ASW, but not to Cornell's ASD. I'll just be driving to Ithica to poke around by myself. Do you think I'd be doing Cornell a disservice by not attending a ASD or will I get the same idea just walking around/talking to people?

I contacted financial aid and they said they start sending stuff out the first week of March

Thanks! I guess I'll send my taxes over tomorrow, because the earlier the better?

Any idea on merit scholly stuff? I don't expect anything, but it'd sure make my decision easier.

All scholarship information should get lumped together. IMO, lawschoolnumbers might be a good idea of what kind of $ you could be looking at. Cornell says they only give need-based, but that's not really true. So, find similar stats and you might get an idea.

Also, regarding ASD, don't sweat it. A lot of it is just mingle time with people who (a) won't come or (b) you'll forget by the time fall starts. The cool stuff like tours and taking to staff can be arranged any time you visit. The admin staff is very friendly and helpful, and someone will be able to give you tours and the like if you prearrange it.

Thanks, very helpful!

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Chucky21 wrote:How quickly does Hughes fill up? I am leaning towards Cornell but still waiting on a couple of schools, do I need to think about sending my deposit in soon? Any idea on how much time I have if I want to stay in Hughes?

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:09 am

Chucky21 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:How quickly does Hughes fill up? I am leaning towards Cornell but still waiting on a couple of schools, do I need to think about sending my deposit in soon? Any idea on how much time I have if I want to stay in Hughes?

I'm not sure how fast it filled up, but aren't they converting Hughes to offices or something? It might not be until Fall 2013 though. Maybe some other students can weigh in on this.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:48 am

PinkCow wrote:
Killingly wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Killingly wrote:Got into Cornell today, so it's Cornell vs Michigan now. It will probably come down to aid/feel of the school. Does anyone know when aid packages will be released? I assume it's sometime after the March 15 deadline. Also, is there any chance I might receive a small merit scholly or is merit aid determined at the time of admissions?

Also, I'm able to go to Michigan's ASW, but not to Cornell's ASD. I'll just be driving to Ithica to poke around by myself. Do you think I'd be doing Cornell a disservice by not attending a ASD or will I get the same idea just walking around/talking to people?

I contacted financial aid and they said they start sending stuff out the first week of March

Thanks! I guess I'll send my taxes over tomorrow, because the earlier the better?

Any idea on merit scholly stuff? I don't expect anything, but it'd sure make my decision easier.

All scholarship information should get lumped together. IMO, lawschoolnumbers might be a good idea of what kind of $ you could be looking at. Cornell says they only give need-based, but that's not really true. So, find similar stats and you might get an idea.

Also, regarding ASD, don't sweat it. A lot of it is just mingle time with people who (a) won't come or (b) you'll forget by the time fall starts. The cool stuff like tours and taking to staff can be arranged any time you visit. The admin staff is very friendly and helpful, and someone will be able to give you tours and the like if you prearrange it.

This. I came the last day before spring break because I couldn't make any of the ASDs, and it was fine. Make sure that if you sit in on a class, that it is not Civ Pro. You will not have any idea what the fuck is going on.

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Arbiter213 wrote: This. I came the last day before spring break because I couldn't make any of the ASDs, and it was fine. Make sure that if you sit in on a class, that it is not Civ Pro. You will not have any idea what the fuck is going on.

i just scheduled a visit, and i'll be sitting in on civ pro... :|

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 pm

crabcakes wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote: This. I came the last day before spring break because I couldn't make any of the ASDs, and it was fine. Make sure that if you sit in on a class, that it is not Civ Pro. You will not have any idea what the fuck is going on.

Don't worry, no one else in the room has any idea what the fuck is going on, so you'll be in good company.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Lincoln wrote:
crabcakes wrote:

Don't worry, no one else in the room has any idea what the fuck is going on, so you'll be in good company.

:lol: :lol:

mths

Postby mths » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Lincoln wrote:
crabcakes wrote:

I still have no idea how I bullshitted through 1L

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:11 pm

I don't know if this has been answered already, but is it possible maintain some form of social life at Cornell, just to get your mind off the books for a while. I'm not talking about 'undergrad' partying or anything but just time to go out with friends/girl on the weekend. I don't have a gf right now but is it realistic to start and maintain a relationship in ls? I know this is a secondary concern to grades/job prospects, but it still is a concern.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Chucky21 wrote:I don't know if this has been answered already, but is it possible maintain some form of social life at Cornell, just to get your mind off the books for a while. I'm not talking about 'undergrad' partying or anything but just time to go out with friends/girl on the weekend. I don't have a gf right now but is it realistic to start and maintain a relationship in ls? I know this is a secondary concern to grades/job prospects, but it still is a concern.

very possible. Contrary to popular belief, you will still have enough time to go out and talk to girls.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm

clone22 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:I don't know if this has been answered already, but is it possible maintain some form of social life at Cornell, just to get your mind off the books for a while. I'm not talking about 'undergrad' partying or anything but just time to go out with friends/girl on the weekend. I don't have a gf right now but is it realistic to start and maintain a relationship in ls? I know this is a secondary concern to grades/job prospects, but it still is a concern.

very possible. Contrary to popular belief, you will still have enough time to go out and talk to girls.

And party like you're not a responsible adult who would rather not have his new peers remembering that one time you passed out in their kitchen after taking three shots of very bad whiskey in a row.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:27 pm

mths wrote:
clone22 wrote:

And party like you're not a responsible adult who would rather not have his new peers remembering that one time you passed out in their kitchen after taking three shots of very bad whiskey in a row.

Where do most people tend to live? College town? I don't like the idea of living in Hughes, but I also don't want to live somewhere super far/isolated. And suggestions of potential housing complexes to scope out? Grad housing on the site looks very expensive. Will probably be visiting in the next few weeks.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:51 pm

most people live around college town. the stuff like college town apartments, 312 etc is way overpriced in my opinion. I live up the road like a 10 minute walk from campus and pay about the same as the overpriced stuff BUT I secured a lease just for the academic year saving me a bundle AND its a lot bigger than their places. Look around while you're here for one bedrooms that are essentially in college town but a little way from the hubbub of it.

As far as dating goes Ithaca is great if you already have a girlfriend. The commons is really nice. It has a bunch of restaurants and a little indie movie theater. You can easily walk everywhere. There are really nice places for breakfast/brunch you know all the stuff girls love. Whenever my girlfriend comes into visit we have a good time.

As far as dating within the law school I really don't know. From my vantage point the single life here seems pretty awkward especially amongst the 1Ls. BUT I have seen some cool couples form between different years of law students.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:57 pm

FlanAl wrote:As far as dating within the law school I really don't know. From my vantage point the single life here seems pretty awkward especially amongst the 1Ls. BUT I have seen some cool couples form between different years of law students.

It's awkward amongst the 2Ls and 3Ls as well, rest assured.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:09 pm

haha i kinda figured. Fast Times at Myron Taylor High...

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 pm

mths wrote:It's awkward amongst the 2Ls and 3Ls as well, rest assured.

You make me feel awkward.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Ostrizr316 wrote:
mths wrote:It's awkward amongst the 2Ls and 3Ls as well, rest assured.

You make me feel awkward.

remember when I passed out in your kitchen?

sf88

Postby sf88 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm looking at some housing options and I found the following:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.villageaptsithaca.com/

Does anyone know anything about these apartments?

I'm trying to find places that meet the following criteria, in case anyone is familiar with other options:
-Allows dogs (german shepherd)
-QUIET 24/7 (my apartment this year is incredibly quiet, and I really don't want to live with loud neighbors ever again)
-Parking available at low or no cost
-Access to public transportation
-Under $850/month
-Fairly new and/or well kept building (I've had terrible experiences with bug infestations)
-Does not need to be close to campus

Thanks!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Those are probably all decent options for your criteria. The Cayuga one may be a bit noisy, mainly because it's right on the commons and you're gonna get traffic all day.

For that price though and pets, you're gonna be looking pretty far out of town. Pretty much all the places that cater to pets are old dumps though...

sf88

Postby sf88 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

PinkCow wrote:Those are probably all decent options for your criteria. The Cayuga one may be a bit noisy, mainly because it's right on the commons and you're gonna get traffic all day.

For that price though and pets, you're gonna be looking pretty far out of town. Pretty much all the places that cater to pets are old dumps though...

Do you know if the Cayuga apt is noisy in terms of partying/obnoxious people? Or just traffic? I can deal with traffic sounds. I don't mind being farther away if there's public transportation. I'm flexible on location, but I insist on a decently well kept place. I have a borderline debilitating fear of bugs...haha.

Thanks!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 pm

sf88 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Those are probably all decent options for your criteria. The Cayuga one may be a bit noisy, mainly because it's right on the commons and you're gonna get traffic all day.

Do you know if the Cayuga apt is noisy in terms of partying/obnoxious people? Or just traffic? I can deal with traffic sounds. I don't mind being farther away if there's public transportation. I'm flexible on location, but I insist on a decently well kept place. I have a borderline debilitating fear of bugs...haha.

Thanks!

Meh. I've never lived there, so I wouldn't know specifically what the tenants are like. You can get crappy/noisy tenants anywhere. I doubt you would have to deal with drunk undergrads as it's pretty far from campus. More than likely stoned hippies and townies. And I imagine there's a lot of foot traffic/loud drunks as you're pretty close to the Commons action (at least on the weekends).

And just from my experience, "well kept" is kind of nonexistent in Ithaca (or else my standards are unbelievably high). I haven't heard of any insect infestations though. Poorly maintained housing, though? That's almost universally a given.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:28 pm

I've read in previous threads that the gyms are overcrowded. Are they usually still super crowded if you go early in the morning?

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Reminder -- Don't live in Hughes. Worst decision of my 1st year.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:16 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Reminder -- Don't live in Hughes. Worst decision of my 1st year.

What issues are you having?

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Right now, I'm selecting between UVA and Cornell. Would appreciate input/feedback. Thanks! Background: Born and raised in SoCal, went to USC for undergrad, majored in PoliSci (really limits it down, eh)

1) What are the pros and cons of having one of the smallest class sizes amongst top law schools (less than 200 students, 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio)?
2) Could you speak to the level of Cornell’s “renown” in CA and NY?
3) How bad is the Ithaca winter?
4) In terms of proximity to the school and pricing, where is the best place to live?
5) Is it easy to get around Ithaca by feet? Also, how is the public transit system?
6) I read from the TLS profile that Cornell Law students were ranked as the “hardest working law students in the nation”. Can you comment on that?

Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”