Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Ikki
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Ikki » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:So who do I NOT want to have for Civil Procedure? Clermont?


Both are great, but one is somewhat terrifying. You, however, have no choice, and will likely get both.Anyone. Civil Procedure is like getting raped in the eye by a runcible spoon.


I've heard that Civ Pro is a NIGHTMARE from several people now... why? Just the course itself? Or because of the instructors?


The course is pretty tough itself. Clermont was a great professor but a horrible teacher (at this point very few professors are teachers), and Holden-Smith is such a boss. I don't know what people in the other half of the class were talking about when they said she would be terrify us, she's a very nice lady.

orderofthings
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby orderofthings » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:37 pm

I second this. It may be a product of being in my second semester, but I feel like I'm learning a lot with Holden-Smith, even if the material is difficult. She even laughed a few times today!

orderofthings
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby orderofthings » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 pm

MAapplicant wrote:Do the suites in Hughes Hall have a kitchen? Anyone having any opinions or reviews about living in Hughes Hall your first year?

Also for those people who do not live on campus, is it easy to find a place that allows large dog breeds? (i.e. Great Dane)


Also, I don't live in Hughes, but my understanding is that there are communal kitchens, which, if I remember correctly, are farely nice. My friends that live there haven't had many complaints. I can't imagine it is a bad place to live. My opinion on housing in Ithaca may be biased based on personal experience because I feel like there is a fairly normal price range students pay into and it's all gonna be pretty much the same. I can't speak in regards to dogs however.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:14 pm

Ikki wrote:
The course is pretty tough itself. Clermont was a great professor but a horrible teacher (at this point very few professors are teachers), and Holden-Smith is such a boss. I don't know what people in the other half of the class were talking about when they said she would be terrify us, she's a very nice lady.


Not everyone is as brave as you, Mr. "Shout at the greek girl"

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:23 pm

Were any of the 1L exams multiple choice or mainly written arguing both sides? Please don't laugh if that is a stupid question haha. I have some close friends who are at UF law now and had multiple choice... although, UF law is arguably a joke. They spoon feed you everything

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 pm

my contracts had a multiple choice part.

BHS is terrifying because she can cold call you on a footnote that you might have missed for the entire class. And she'll also mis-hear you and tell you that you're wrong (when you're right) and then stay on you for a good minute of awkward silence before she moves on to some gunner who just repeats what you said. She'll make a really disappointed/pissed face when someone isn't totally on point.

also the greek girl didn't say anything in class so I guess she got the hint...

kmh504
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kmh504 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:18 am

Any BLSA members on here?

scaredofdebt
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby scaredofdebt » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 pm

I was recently admitted. I am a bit intimidated by the size of this thread so excuse my laziness but i am going to fire some questions that prob have answers buried somewhere in the 109 pages.

I am not entirely sure what kind of law I want to practice but given cornell tuition and tuition to all schools really, it seems i will have to work in Biglaw for at least a few years. I understand the top %30-40 or whatever it is exactly get these legendary 160k positions, but my question is what happens to the rest of the class? I would love it if someone could attempt to break this down by %.

For example:
top 20% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
20-40% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
40-60% are looking at X prospects at graduationor soon thereafter?
60-80% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
80-100% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 pm

from what i can tell the employment stats on the schools website are pretty accurate. you could also look at NLJ stats. overall feel here is that things are pretty good and probably going to be better in years to come. also don't think that you have to do big law if you don't want to. cornell's lrap is pretty decent and there is always ibr if that suits you better.

User avatar
Pato_09
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Pato_09 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 pm

There are several people I know that are below median and have big law this summer.

It helps a lot if you have relevant work experience and/or a good interviewee etc.

So, if you are below the median, you still have a chance.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Okay, important question! recently engaged and planning my wedding...which will be in Florida. Considering having it in October during fall recess, but was wondering if a paper or project was due shortly after the break. If that is the case, the wedding will wait.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Nah. I think the closed memo was due before fall break, so there's nothing due after fall break. Some people will suggest outlining/starting finals prep during then, but it's certainly not required. I played video games and ate food. I think I put pants on twice.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:26 pm

orderofthings wrote:
MAapplicant wrote:Do the suites in Hughes Hall have a kitchen? Anyone having any opinions or reviews about living in Hughes Hall your first year?

Also for those people who do not live on campus, is it easy to find a place that allows large dog breeds? (i.e. Great Dane)


Also, I don't live in Hughes, but my understanding is that there are communal kitchens, which, if I remember correctly, are farely nice. My friends that live there haven't had many complaints. I can't imagine it is a bad place to live. My opinion on housing in Ithaca may be biased based on personal experience because I feel like there is a fairly normal price range students pay into and it's all gonna be pretty much the same. I can't speak in regards to dogs however.


What % of 1L's live in Hughes? Not sure I want to go back to living in dorms but I guess the convenience of it is attractive to me.

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby vexion » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:What % of 1L's live in Hughes? Not sure I want to go back to living in dorms but I guess the convenience of it is attractive to me.

There's something like 42 1Ls in Hughes and 200 or so in the class. So about 21%? Most people don't live in Hughes, don't feel like you have to by any means.

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby vexion » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:45 am

scaredofdebt wrote:I was recently admitted. I am a bit intimidated by the size of this thread so excuse my laziness but i am going to fire some questions that prob have answers buried somewhere in the 109 pages.

I am not entirely sure what kind of law I want to practice but given cornell tuition and tuition to all schools really, it seems i will have to work in Biglaw for at least a few years. I understand the top %30-40 or whatever it is exactly get these legendary 160k positions, but my question is what happens to the rest of the class? I would love it if someone could attempt to break this down by %.

For example:
top 20% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
20-40% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
40-60% are looking at X prospects at graduationor soon thereafter?
60-80% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
80-100% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?

I don't know if anyone but Career Services is qualified to break it down like that; we don't know anyone else's grades or employment status and what you do think you know is probably a lie.

That said, if all you're angling for is one of those "legendary 160k positions," that's like, what, any biglaw firm at all, NYC or Houston? I'd say you need to break median to be comfortable. Cornell is currently the second-biggest feeder to NLJ 250 firms. Last year, 58% of our graduates went to those firms, and word is that situation is only improving. So take that for what you will.

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:43 pm

How does OCI work at Cornell? Is it a lottery system or do firms select the people they want to interview? Do most people seeking firm jobs do so through OCI?

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:08 pm

vexion wrote:
scaredofdebt wrote:I was recently admitted. I am a bit intimidated by the size of this thread so excuse my laziness but i am going to fire some questions that prob have answers buried somewhere in the 109 pages.

I am not entirely sure what kind of law I want to practice but given cornell tuition and tuition to all schools really, it seems i will have to work in Biglaw for at least a few years. I understand the top %30-40 or whatever it is exactly get these legendary 160k positions, but my question is what happens to the rest of the class? I would love it if someone could attempt to break this down by %.

For example:
top 20% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
20-40% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
40-60% are looking at X prospects at graduationor soon thereafter?
60-80% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?
80-100% are looking at X prospects at graduation or soon thereafter?

I don't know if anyone but Career Services is qualified to break it down like that; we don't know anyone else's grades or employment status and what you do think you know is probably a lie.

That said, if all you're angling for is one of those "legendary 160k positions," that's like, what, any biglaw firm at all, NYC or Houston? I'd say you need to break median to be comfortable. Cornell is currently the second-biggest feeder to NLJ 250 firms. Last year, 58% of our graduates went to those firms, and word is that situation is only improving. So take that for what you will.


Too optimistic. Break median for a realistic shot. Top 10% to be comfortable.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Chucky21 wrote:How does OCI work at Cornell? Is it a lottery system or do firms select the people they want to interview? Do most people seeking firm jobs do so through OCI?


I don't know a lot about the process, but I do know that a big chunk of the hiring at big law (esp NYC) firms is done at the August Job Fair in NYC at the very beginning of August. Cornell also has its own OCI a few weeks later, but as I understand it, that's less NYC big firms and more local-ish firms.

User avatar
Pato_09
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Pato_09 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Chucky21 wrote:How does OCI work at Cornell? Is it a lottery system or do firms select the people they want to interview? Do most people seeking firm jobs do so through OCI?


Lottery system. Yes, people that want to work in NYC, DC, Boston do it through OCI. The few that want to work elsewhere, like Cleveland or Minnesota, for example, usually contact the firms before OCI.

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks, so is the August job fair more important if you want to work in NYC? Or is OCI by itself enough?

User avatar
Pato_09
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Pato_09 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:47 pm

Chucky21 wrote:Thanks, so is the August job fair more important if you want to work in NYC? Or is OCI by itself enough?


Yes, much more. At OCI, its more of Syracuse/Albany/Rochester firms, with very few NYC firms.

The August Job Fair is key for working in NYC as a SA.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Killingly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:54 pm

This may have been answered, but do you need a car in Ithica? Especially if I don't anticipate wanting to live in the dorms?

User avatar
Ikki
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Ikki » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Killingly wrote:This may have been answered, but do you need a car in Ithica? Especially if I don't anticipate wanting to live in the dorms?


Yes, you need nerves of steel around here though, too many dumbass pedestrians that don't look twice before crossing the street.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Killingly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Ah, that sucks. Was planning on selling mine.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Killingly wrote:This may have been answered, but do you need a car in Ithica? Especially if I don't anticipate wanting to live in the dorms?


You don't need a car. I know plenty of people (read: ~ 2/3 of my section) who don't have a car here. Bus service is quite good, and people are generally friendly enough to take you grocery shopping and such. Also, Ithaca has a car share program that some people use.
I personally have a car, but I am not one to give up comfort easily.

Besides, parking is OUTRAGEOUS. So you're gonna be walking to some degree anyway.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest