Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FlanAl

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:25 pm

BHS FML

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Can we drop out after we get grades back for 1st sem and not pay tuition for 2nd sem?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:19 pm

the tuition bill comes on like the same day as grades. i'm not sure if the loan pays it then or what but i think they are kinda tricky about it so that you pay them and then grades come out.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:46 pm

FlanAl wrote:is that a yes to my tabs being ok? haha I'm not sure I've ever actually been this scared before in my life

I don't know. I didn't tab my rulebook, but then the proctor also doesn't check anyone's books. Just shoot BHS an email and ask.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:09 pm

too late haha but everyone's was tabbed out to the max so I'm assuming it was fine.

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Any 2L/3Ls out there that took the Evidence exam yesterday? ... Anybody else think it sucked?

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:56 am

Pato_09 wrote:Any 2L/3Ls out there that took the Evidence exam yesterday? ... Anybody else think it sucked?

I'm not in the class, but this is from a friend's Facebook wall:

A 2L friend wrote:"Today's evidence final was UTTER BULLSHIT. You want me to answer essentially 12 1-page hypos in two hours?!?! Are you fucking crazy? The Trust & Estates hypo (singular) was a page and a half and it took me 1.5 hours to finish.

Gratz, a 3 hour final to determine who the best typist is. FUCK that final and FUCK that class."

It has 6 likes and 9 comments. :)

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:07 am

Lol ... That makes me feel better

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 am

Pato_09 wrote:Lol ... That makes me feel better

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Colb's Criminal Procedure -- Investigations final was 33 multiple choice, and they weren't particularly difficult. A few sticking points, but it was pretty much the black-letter law in true-false form.

I'm willing to wager the difference between A-/B+ in there is going to be one question.

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:19 am

vexion wrote:
Pato_09 wrote:Lol ... That makes me feel better

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Colb's Criminal Procedure -- Investigations final was 33 multiple choice, and they weren't particularly difficult. A few sticking points, but it was pretty much the black-letter law in true-false form.

I'm willing to wager the difference between A-/B+ in there is going to be one question.

Wow, I should have taken Crim Pro, instead of Evidence.

The worst part about Evidence was that the professor specifically said in class that the exam was going to take us 2 hours, so that we could use the extra hour to review our answers.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:02 pm

anyone have any thoughts on a good treatise for civ pro? Clermont's hornbook and black letter outline really didn't help that much and I feel like we covered almost the whole E&E this semester. If anyone who had him second semester has any tips on good supplements that would be great!

vexion

Postby vexion » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:51 pm

FlanAl wrote:anyone have any thoughts on a good treatise for civ pro? Clermont's hornbook and black letter outline really didn't help that much and I feel like we covered almost the whole E&E this semester. If anyone who had him second semester has any tips on good supplements that would be great!

You already have the hornbook, the outline, and the E&E, and you want more supplements?

Just wait to take the damn class. That's more than enough.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Clermont's test is bullshit.

HTH.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Can any gym rats give me a decent description of what Cornell's gym is like?

edit: which of the 4 rec centers is the one with power racks/barbells and all that?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:53 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:Can any gym rats give me a decent description of what Cornell's gym is like?

edit: which of the 4 rec centers is the one with power racks/barbells and all that?

Incredibly disappointing. If they combined all of them, it would be a decent/average gym. But they're so small on their own that it just gets cramped with bros unless it's early in the morning. And no AC and fans that are NEVER ON.

Noyes
Closest to LS but by far the worst. Tiny tiny tiny. But it does have 2 OLY platforms, 1 rack, and a couple benches + dumbbell area. But there's almost always a line and the kids there are pretty pushy IMO.

Helen Newman
Slightly better than Noyes, but it's far away. No OLY platforms but 2 racks. It also has one of those cable stations for pulldowns and stuff. And again...so freaking hot. Even in December.

Teagle
By far the best gym on campus, and not terribly far from LS (~10 minute walk tops). 3 OLY platforms and 4 power racks + 4 benches and a cable station + some random iso stuff. Also, on the 2nd level they put all of the cardio/cybex stuff, so it generally keeps the bottom slightly less cluttered with bodies. But, go any time after 2 or so and it's wall-to-wall sweaty bros all up in your business.
Also, there's this girl on staff there who has got a thing for Taylor Swift/Justin Bieber and likes to crank that through the loudspeakers on max volume. And of course, the fans are never on. Good times.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:09 pm

So true. So many "Bros" at Cornell.

Higher concentration at gyms.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Yikes. The detailed descriptions are much appreciated though, thanks!

cornell2014

Postby cornell2014 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:12 am

FlanAl wrote:anyone have any thoughts on a good treatise for civ pro? Clermont's hornbook and black letter outline really didn't help that much and I feel like we covered almost the whole E&E this semester. If anyone who had him second semester has any tips on good supplements that would be great!

I don't know how I did yet, but I found Clermont's first semester test to be largely reflective of what he writes in the black letter outline. I think he puts his own unique spin on everything he teaches, and I felt like I understood his view better by studying how he makes sense of each topic in outline form. I read all of the BLS book the day before the test and I found it tremendously helpful to have it fresh in my mind. His test is sort of "hide the ball"-- but I think many of the answers can be found in the outline. Again, I don't know how I did, but it felt okay. I tried Glannon's multiple choice book, but it seemed way too straightforward to be helpful on Clermont's test.

cornell2014

Postby cornell2014 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:13 am

Noyes is terrible. Alwaaaays have to wait for a treadmill.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 am

I know it feels like you covered the whole E&E already, but you will realize next semester that there is a lot in there that you have not covered in detail yet. Second semester civ pro is a much more detailed look at some of the topics you only covered briefly. I thought the E&E was really helpful for Civ Pro second semester.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:32 pm

awesome thanks for the input. I really feel like holden smith's terrifying cold call method combined with his confusing casebook (people might just be humoring me but I'm pretty sure multiple people thought his case book was way more confusing than it needed to be) wasn't the most helpful way to learn.

also just going to throw this out there since I have no idea but are we the only school that does civ pro and contracts for a whole year?

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:02 pm

someone give me a frank answer, how cute/prevalent are the asian girls at cornell?

i don't expect this should be necessary, but *puts on flame suit just in case*

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:05 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:someone give me a frank answer, how cute/prevalent are the asian girls at cornell?

i don't expect this should be necessary, but *puts on flame suit just in case*

From the 1L class there's like 2 who are cute/pretty in the Asian sense, and 1 who is above average in a very slutty sense.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:30 pm

I can only speak to prevalence since i haven't really noticed any.

MAapplicant

Postby MAapplicant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Is there a visible LGBT community within the school and/or city?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”