Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FlanAl

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby FlanAl » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Guess that was the other half of it not really sure who counts as an employer and who doesn't? These people are definitely not NALP listed as employing 1L's. Most are solo's/retired/work for small firms just thought it would be good to say whats up, you know keep my "network" in tact. Is it against NALP to talk to people who aren't going to be able to give you a job?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Cornell at sticker scares me. Can you speak of peers paying sticker at Cornell, and how they feel about it? Thanks

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:09 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Cornell at sticker scares me. Can you speak of peers paying sticker at Cornell, and how they feel about it? Thanks

I am paying near sticker. I am peeing my pants a little.

But hey...85% of us get BigLaw right? Right? Guys? :cry:

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 am

vexion wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Since we just had our meeting today would it be douchey to contact alums in the next few days?

The NALP guidelines absolutely forbid 1Ls from initiating contact with employers until December 1st. Contacting alumni ahead of that deadline to kiss ass for job offers could really be problematic. Don't do it.

And while I have all you 1Ls here, I want to suggest that you have your résumé edited, edited again, and edited again, your target summer employers picked out, and your cover letters ready to go on December 1st. The Career Services office will feed you some line about not stressing about it because of finals. This is bullshit. It's no stress: I had all my letters written, addressed and stamped in a couple of days. Summer internships are almost always unpaid, which means they're first-come, first-served. Employers aren't picky. I know a lot of people who were scrambling to get summer placements in March. If you send out a cover letter by December 1st, follow up within the week, and set up an interview over winter break, you'll have a job in hand before Christmas. That's not stressing.

</gunner>

You. I like you.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:05 am

PinkCow wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Cornell at sticker scares me. Can you speak of peers paying sticker at Cornell, and how they feel about it? Thanks

I am paying near sticker. I am peeing my pants a little.

But hey...85% of us get BigLaw right? Right? Guys? :cry:

Everyone at least makes jokes about how much debt they are in. The few people who have actually been candid about it have a little scholarship. Not knowing it seems like a lot of us are paying sticker. My feelings on it are that I had a degree that was not going to get me a decent job in the city I am from and want to work in. Even if I end up at bottom the end of the bi modal distribution (shitlaw 40k) I'll still be doing better than I would have been otherwise. So if that is the case for you then I'd say sticker is probably something you can handle, if there is actually an opportunity cost of you going to law school then sticker here probably isn't the best thing.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:38 am

I don't really see how sticker at Cornell is any scarier than sticker at anywhere but YHS. If you are comparing Cornell at sticker to no tuition at a t1, that is all about debt aversion. If you are talking about sticker at Cornell v. $$ at a t30, I think Cornell is actually the safer bet.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:28 pm

KMaine wrote:I don't really see how sticker at Cornell is any scarier than sticker at anywhere but YHS. If you are comparing Cornell at sticker to no tuition at a t1, that is all about debt aversion. If you are talking about sticker at Cornell v. $$ at a t30, I think Cornell is actually the safer bet.

i'm totally in agreement the guy just seemed to want some anecdotal how do you Cornellians feel about it so I gave hime one haha I'm sure I'd feet the same way at other schools too.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:35 pm

KMaine wrote:I don't really see how sticker at Cornell is any scarier than sticker at anywhere but YHS. If you are comparing Cornell at sticker to no tuition at a t1, that is all about debt aversion. If you are talking about sticker at Cornell v. $$ at a t30, I think Cornell is actually the safer bet.

I can see what you're saying. Have you seen any students honestly regretting their decision to take Cornell at or near sticker? I've been vacillating between UT in-state sticker vs. Cornell sticker. Cornell's prestige and job placement pulls me one way while UT's quality of life, cheaper tuition (about $55k after 3L) and Big 12 tradition pulls me the other.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:10 pm

If your goal is to practice in Texas that seems like a pretty obvious choice. I like it here but Ithaca is meh.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:49 pm

A friend (yes, a friend) had a meeting with DeRosa today and he asked him about the 85% figure. Apparently they are predicting that for us because that's the percentage of 2Ls this year that got an offer from OCI. I'm not sure if he meant 85% of all 2Ls or just those 2Ls that did OCI. DeRosa also said that aside from what was said on Tuesday, he personally believes we will be the first class to see pre-recession numbers.

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:19 pm

2L "paying sticker." I do have some support from money that I saved while working between Undergrad and Law school, and some money from family from college savings that were never spent because I went to Undergrad on a scholly.

Does it suck to know that I have a ton of debt? Sure. But when I look at the other opportunities I had (t25 with $$, in state pub with full ride) and what I've gotten from going to Cornell, I realize I made the right choice. The professors here have been fantastic. Career Services has a ton of resources and is very helpful. Not to mention the Cornell name got my foot in ways that other schools never could have for 1L internships.

Futhermore, Cornell has one of the best recruitment programs of its peer schools. Talking with my friends at other t-14s, Cornell's AJF, Regional Job Fairs, and OCIs gave me the same or more interviews as any other school. My friends at other schools were amazed that I landed 18 screener interviews just at our first job fair. Once all my callbacks were said and done, I had the very tough choice of summering at one of the Top firms in a large national market or the number one firm in the secondary market where I'm from.

If you're worried about debt, Cornell has a very liberal deferral policy. I decided to defer admission for a year and stay at my job, which allowed me to save about $25k that I put towards school.

Also, remember that Cornell Tuition + Cost of living is about the same as any other T-14's Cost of Attendance, sans UVA/Michigan/Berkley in state. Schools in NYC, Chicago, and DC have much higher cost of living, so once you calculate that in the Cost of Attendance is essentially a wash.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:19 am

Ostrizr316 wrote:

2L "paying sticker." I do have some support from money that I saved while working between Undergrad and Law school, and some money from family from college savings that were never spent because I went to Undergrad on a scholly.

Does it suck to know that I have a ton of debt? Sure. But when I look at the other opportunities I had (t25 with $$, in state pub with full ride) and what I've gotten from going to Cornell, I realize I made the right choice. The professors here have been fantastic. Career Services has a ton of resources and is very helpful. Not to mention the Cornell name got my foot in ways that other schools never could have for 1L internships.

Futhermore, Cornell has one of the best recruitment programs of its peer schools. Talking with my friends at other t-14s, Cornell's AJF, Regional Job Fairs, and OCIs gave me the same or more interviews as any other school. My friends at other schools were amazed that I landed 18 screener interviews just at our first job fair. Once all my callbacks were said and done, I had the very tough choice of summering at one of the Top firms in a large national market or the number one firm in the secondary market where I'm from.

If you're worried about debt, Cornell has a very liberal deferral policy. I decided to defer admission for a year and stay at my job, which allowed me to save about $25k that I put towards school.

Also, remember that Cornell Tuition + Cost of living is about the same as any other T-14's Cost of Attendance, sans UVA/Michigan/Berkley in state. Schools in NYC, Chicago, and DC have much higher cost of living, so once you calculate that in the Cost of Attendance is essentially a wash.

Berkeley.

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:56 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Berkeley.

Poor spelling is why I couldn't transfer out of Cornell.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:19 pm

This may already have been answered.. but.. approximately what percentage of 1Ls at Cornell get biglaw jobs during their summer?

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Schang1 wrote:This may already have been answered.. but.. approximately what percentage of 1Ls at Cornell get biglaw jobs during their summer?

Don't be inept and read a couple of the posts above.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:39 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

I can see what you're saying. Have you seen any students honestly regretting their decision to take Cornell at or near sticker? I've been vacillating between UT in-state sticker vs. Cornell sticker. Cornell's prestige and job placement pulls me one way while UT's quality of life, cheaper tuition (about $55k after 3L) and Big 12 tradition pulls me the other.

I am sure there are people who regret it. For most, I think it is working out fine. If I were you and I wanted to work in TX, I would go there, if you want to work anywhere else, I would buy a heavy coat, and enjoy Cornell.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:07 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Ostrizr316 wrote:

Berkeley.

We can't all go to Harvard.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Ikki wrote:A friend (yes, a friend) had a meeting with DeRosa today and he asked him about the 85% figure. Apparently they are predicting that for us because that's the percentage of 2Ls this year that got an offer from OCI. I'm not sure if he meant 85% of all 2Ls or just those 2Ls that did OCI. DeRosa also said that aside from what was said on Tuesday, he personally believes we will be the first class to see pre-recession numbers.

DeRosa is useless. Speak to anyone from the Forgotten Class of 2011 and you'll hear horror stories. Don't believe anything he says in re: employment unless he shows you actual numbers and the information supporting them.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:56 pm

fsohn wrote:
Ikki wrote:A friend (yes, a friend) had a meeting with DeRosa today and he asked him about the 85% figure. Apparently they are predicting that for us because that's the percentage of 2Ls this year that got an offer from OCI. I'm not sure if he meant 85% of all 2Ls or just those 2Ls that did OCI. DeRosa also said that aside from what was said on Tuesday, he personally believes we will be the first class to see pre-recession numbers.

DeRosa is useless. Speak to anyone from the Forgotten Class of 2011 and you'll hear horror stories. Don't believe anything he says in re: employment unless he shows you actual numbers and the information supporting them.

I didn't believe him honestly, I've hear some horror stories about awful advice from the OCS that didn't help the situation of some of the students of the 2010 class. I guess it will still be median or dropping out.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Ikki wrote:
fsohn wrote:

I didn't believe him honestly, I've hear some horror stories about awful advice from the OCS that didn't help the situation of some of the students of the 2010 class. I guess it will still be median or dropping out.

He basically told me I'll have no issue getting a judicial internship this summer, don't know what to make of that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Judicial internships are not as competitive as judicial clerkships.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:56 pm

Why are you guys even talking to DeRosa? Honestly I'm just focused on getting the grades.

Like talking to some faculty at school will lead to getting a job.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Why are you guys even talking to DeRosa? Honestly I'm just focused on getting the grades.

Like talking to some faculty at school will lead to getting a job.

So I know where to apply for 1L jobs? It's not like school's so hard that I don't have a half hour to spare for a meeting with him.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:49 pm

haven't talked to him myself but am going to talk to the PI people on thursday, why? Because 1L summer jobs get snatched up before you get grades AND I can probably take 20 minutes away from studying to get a better handle on this stuff. Obviously grades are the most important thing but I don't think taking a few minutes in between class is going to wreck your study time.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:13 pm

FlanAl wrote:haven't talked to him myself but am going to talk to the PI people on thursday, why? Because 1L summer jobs get snatched up before you get grades AND I can probably take 20 minutes away from studying to get a better handle on this stuff. Obviously grades are the most important thing but I don't think taking a few minutes in between class is going to wreck your study time.

Or taking a few minutes for TLS amirite?? :roll:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”