Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PinkCow

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby PinkCow » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:11 pm

mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Non-academic contexts?

Going out to bars, just hanging out, etc. I mean, do people socialize in situations that don't involve some sort of academic work?

Bars? Hanging out?

Fo real tho, there's stuff going on all of the time. You're guaranteed to find a few wasted 1Ls on any given evening.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. The 1Ls are beyond lame this year. Our year went out and mixed in with the school so much more. I know like 5 1Ls and last year by this time I knew almost all the 2 and 3Ls.

But but but but but all that establishes is that there was 1 1L last year who knew almost all of the upperclassmen (and women).

I'm sorry we're not cool enough :oops: :oops: :oops:

mths

Postby mths » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:13 pm

PinkCow wrote:But but but but but all that establishes is that there was 1 1L last year who knew almost all of the upperclassmen (and women).

It was all the 1Ls. And it's ok.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:05 am

mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:But but but but but all that establishes is that there was 1 1L last year who knew almost all of the upperclassmen (and women).

It was all the 1Ls. And it's ok.

I make no apologies for my not being nearly cool enough.

Though I do have quite a few 2L friends.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:43 pm

i've heard a lot of hate on our class from the very beginning from the 2L's. I think the 2L class last year was probably an exception to the reputation Cornell has for being gunnerish and lame. Unfortunately my class seems to be living up to the reputation as best as it can haha. About 10% of my section is like done with their open memo and we've had the assignment for just over 1 week (it's not due for a while). The fact that a lot of 1L's didn't go to fall ball because they felt like they had too much work to do was pretty weird. Overall we're a decent group but it doesn't seem like we are as cohesive as the 2L class making it so you only see the odd 1L out instead of "knowing all of us".

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:24 pm

FlanAl wrote:About 10% of my section is like done with their open memo and we've had the assignment for just over 1 week (it's not due for a while).

Get the fuck out :shock:

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 pm

haha yeah a good portion of them were close to done with the closed memo two weeks before it was due as well. Maybe everyone will stop gunning so much now that dean DeRosa let us know that 85% will get biglaw SA's our 2L summer :roll:

seriously is career services going to be misleading like this the entire time or is it 2005 again?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:40 pm

FlanAl wrote:haha yeah a good portion of them were close to done with the closed memo two weeks before it was due as well. Maybe everyone will stop gunning so much now that dean DeRosa let us know that 85% will get biglaw SA's our 2L summer :roll:

seriously is career services going to be misleading like this the entire time or is it 2005 again?

It's not that unbelievable, once you throw in no-offers, clerkships, PI, and other opportunities that people might pass up biglaw for that would skew the number down post graduation. You guys would obviously know more than me though.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:45 pm

FlanAl wrote:haha yeah a good portion of them were close to done with the closed memo two weeks before it was due as well. Maybe everyone will stop gunning so much now that dean DeRosa let us know that 85% will get biglaw SA's our 2L summer :roll:

The closed memo was pretty straightforward, I finish that thing about a week before it was due. But trying to catch up with my outlining, finishing all the bluebook exercises and doing the practice exams for all the classes has left me with little time to go all-in with the memo yet.

I'm calling B.S. with DeRosa's statement, when did you hear that anyway? At the talk an hour ago? I couldn't make it to it.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:51 pm

yeah at the talk. He was trying to impress upon us that not having a 1L SA isn't a big deal since only 8% get those but a whopping 85% get 2L SAs.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Ikki wrote:
FlanAl wrote:About 10% of my section is like done with their open memo and we've had the assignment for just over 1 week (it's not due for a while).

Get the fuck out :shock:

I call bullshit. Being done that early doesn't mean crap. I mean I COULD have handed mine in that early, but it would've been even worse than the one I did hand in.

I finished my research today though.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:25 pm

well it either means that they are gunner enough to be done, or that they are gunner enough to claim that they are. either way it is lame. whats your take on that 85% 2L SA? And if any 2l's and 3L's want to chime in on this I'd really appreciate it.

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:29 pm

I was really surprised when he said that. I mean I guess they could have included ANY firm job, people who got an offer but chose to do something else. But 85% still seems like B.S. Guess we'll just have to wait till we get hard numbers...which is when?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:54 pm

FlanAl wrote:well it either means that they are gunner enough to be done, or that they are gunner enough to claim that they are. either way it is lame. whats your take on that 85% 2L SA? And if any 2l's and 3L's want to chime in on this I'd really appreciate it.

I have no idea what to make of it. It's certainly possible, and a bald-faced lie in that setting seems like you're asking for trouble, but I really can't see how that's possible. Maybe what the stat actually was, and we weren't paying enough attention, was 85% of those seeking firm jobs got 2L summer associateships?

ETA: Wait, I thought you were a 2L transfer; they make you take lawyering?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:09 pm

85% seems really high from my perspective as a 3L. Maybe this year's class did better. Maybe I am off.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:17 pm

KMaine wrote:85% seems really high from my perspective as a 3L. Maybe this year's class did better. Maybe I am off.

I call bullshit

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Would one of you be willing to ask for clarification?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 pm

I think you could ask Dean DaRosa yourself. He may be more willing to give the info. to someone who has more of a direct interest in the stat. Maybe something like, did you say 85% that seems really good. I will say that the C.S. office just did ask the 3Ls about their post-grad plans, they could be basing it partly on this. It could have something to do with considering who is looking for a firm job after the fact . . . many people may say they were not really looking if grades were low, etc. Most people here have a firm job as their first choice.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:15 pm

ETA: Wait, I thought you were a 2L transfer; they make you take lawyering?

nah just a normal 1L

clone22

Postby clone22 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Amount of socialization going on is a function of how far into the semester you are. The first month people could/were going out every other night if not every night. Now, there's just a lot less time as memos, outlines, catching up on reading/sleep start competing with drinking time.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Since we just had our meeting today would it be douchey to contact alums in the next few days? I already got in touch with a few before I came here and have been meaning to write a quick email to them. I feel like if I email them now they'll know about the Nov. 1st thing and think I'm being douchey. I have no intention of saying anything job specific (or trying to get jobs from them) I'm just wondering if they'll like see through my motives (no real motives) if I contact them now. Thanks for any input.

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:40 pm

minnbills wrote:Would one of you be willing to ask for clarification?

At the SLC meeting tonight (Student Leadership Counsel for those who don't know), DeRosa said that his 80-85% number was based on the entire 2L class, not just those seeking private sector jobs.

FlanAl wrote:I'm just wondering if they'll like see through my motives (no real motives) if I contact them now.

Yes they'll see through to your real motives. These people went through everything you did as a 1L. They're not stupid.

If you're aiming for a firm, check the 1L firm hiring list that career services compiled for opportunities in which ever markets you're interested, and see if you have any personal connections that can benefit you. Anything else at this point would be disingenuous. Also, be sure to participate in the winter alumni shadowing program and see if you can leverage the opportunity to meet with someone at a firm that you applied to.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:45 pm

SO now I'm in the dilemma of either just not getting ahold of these people again until like winter break? Only other thing to say is that they were mostly solos or at small firms so even if they are reading through my motives what motives could I have? haha Anyways I think your judgment is right but I don't know if I should just go radio silence on them until like next semester or something. (totally should have contacted them over fall break but blew it)

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 pm

If they're people you've already talked to, then go ahead and send a follow up. Just don't start cold emailing Cornell alums at whatever firms said they might take 1Ls because its November 1st.

If they're just solos and small firms, what questions do you have for them?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:00 am

yeah no specific questions for them today's meeting just reminded me about my "network" and how its probably good to send sporadic updates (TLS advice) to alums that you've spoken with previously.

thanks for your advice I feel less douchey now haha

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:07 pm

FlanAl wrote:Since we just had our meeting today would it be douchey to contact alums in the next few days?

The NALP guidelines absolutely forbid 1Ls from initiating contact with employers until December 1st. Contacting alumni ahead of that deadline to kiss ass for job offers could really be problematic. Don't do it.

And while I have all you 1Ls here, I want to suggest that you have your résumé edited, edited again, and edited again, your target summer employers picked out, and your cover letters ready to go on December 1st. The Career Services office will feed you some line about not stressing about it because of finals. This is bullshit. It's no stress: I had all my letters written, addressed and stamped in a couple of days. Summer internships are almost always unpaid, which means they're first-come, first-served. Employers aren't picky. I know a lot of people who were scrambling to get summer placements in March. If you send out a cover letter by December 1st, follow up within the week, and set up an interview over winter break, you'll have a job in hand before Christmas. That's not stressing.

</gunner>

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”