Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vexion

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby vexion » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:48 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Thanks for the advice! It's a bit disconcerting seeing everyone with it done like...2 weeks ago. Oh well.

I wrote all my memos the night before they were due on all-night CTB binges.

I did not do well in Lawyering. ;)

mths

Postby mths » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm

vexion wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Thanks for the advice! It's a bit disconcerting seeing everyone with it done like...2 weeks ago. Oh well.

I wrote all my memos the night before they were due on all-night CTB binges.

I did not do well in Lawyering. ;)

I remember the carrels being full at 6 am when the brief was due at 9

lol 1L sucked

mths

Postby mths » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:

They're lying

No, we're not.

But PinkCow, you're fine.

pew pew pew

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Yo yo knowledgeable 2L/3Ls (I'm looking at you mths), grades: how do they work?

What I mean is this. I know the curve is a B+ for classes. However, looking at the grade distribution thingy, it's mostly B+, but also a lot of A- and A (so a lot more on the + side of the curve).

Initially I thought top 50% was just a B+ average in all classes, but now I'm confused as it looks like it's closer to A-.

Help?

Sorry I can't maths.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:56 pm

PinkCow wrote:Yo yo knowledgeable 2L/3Ls (I'm looking at you mths), grades: how do they work?

What I mean is this. I know the curve is a B+ for classes. However, looking at the grade distribution thingy, it's mostly B+, but also a lot of A- and A (so a lot more on the + side of the curve).

Initially I thought top 50% was just a B+ average in all classes, but now I'm confused as it looks like it's closer to A-.

Help?

Sorry I can't maths.

https://support.law.cornell.edu/students/forms/view_grading_explanation_June_2011.pdf

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Lincoln wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Yo yo knowledgeable 2L/3Ls (I'm looking at you mths), grades: how do they work?

Help?

Sorry I can't maths.

https://support.law.cornell.edu/students/forms/view_grading_explanation_June_2011.pdf

Must...earn... honors...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 pm

mths wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:

They're lying

No, we're not.

But PinkCow, you're fine.

pew pew pew

That's what you said when you met me, fyi.

(I don't think you know who I am).

mths

Postby mths » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:23 am

Arbiter213 wrote:

Was not aware that I met you :lol:

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:27 pm

mths wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Was not aware that I met you :lol:

I was only made aware that you are you after the fact.

wilhay

Postby wilhay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:19 am

Hey,

So Cornell is in the middle of pretty much open space, I've gathered from reading around. How do things like getting to the airport work, especially if you don't have a car?

Do you guys ever feel cut off? I remember visiting Vassar for undergrad and it was sooo far out and somewhat secluded. Is Cornell the same?

Also, are there many students form smaller lib-arts colleges? Or it's a lot more of the larger, more known schools in the class pop?

Thanks!

:)

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:29 am

The airport is pretty close so you can just ask for a ride from someone. Worst case you take a taxi which is between 15 and 20 dollars I think.

Granted I haven't been here even three months yet, but I haven't felt cut off and I've stayed almost exclusively in Ithaca the whole time. I think this is a question that depends on the person - there are ways to get out, people go to NYC, Syracuse, and Buffalo on the weekends sometimes. And if you really want to put in the effort, there are plenty of things to do in Ithaca.

Not so sure about undergrad distribution and not sure it matters. FWIW, you can't tell what type of undergrad somebody went to so I'm not sure how relevant that is, but I've seemed to notice a pretty healthy mix where it has come up in conversation.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:11 am

The bus also runs to the airport. If you're from a big city, you'll probably feel secluded. I prefer it though.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 am

Is there a feeling of heavy biglaw gunning from a large amount of peers? If so, is it disconcerting?

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Is there a feeling of heavy biglaw gunning from a large amount of peers? If so, is it disconcerting?

Seems most people would be content with simply being employed in the profession. Don't worry about what others are doing, just focus, do well and everything will fall into place (or so I've been told).

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Ikki wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Is there a feeling of heavy biglaw gunning from a large amount of peers? If so, is it disconcerting?

Seems most people would be content with simply being employed in the profession. Don't worry about what others are doing, just focus, do well and everything will fall into place (or so I've been told).

I'd be content with not getting sent to Academic Advising for failing my practice exam.

I kid I kid.

But seriously.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:23 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Ikki wrote:

I'd be content with not getting sent to Academic Advising for failing my practice exam.

I kid I kid.

But seriously.

Nonsense, we haven't gotten them back yet. I'm still expecting that call.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:14 pm

wilhay wrote:Hey,

So Cornell is in the middle of pretty much open space, I've gathered from reading around. How do things like getting to the airport work, especially if you don't have a car?

Do you guys ever feel cut off? I remember visiting Vassar for undergrad and it was sooo far out and somewhat secluded. Is Cornell the same?

Also, are there many students form smaller lib-arts colleges? Or it's a lot more of the larger, more known schools in the class pop?

Thanks!

So I've only been here for a little while but I tell you what I think:

Having a car would be really good but there are enough friendly people to get around without one. It does suck to not be able to go to the grocery store whenever you want.

It doesn't feel that secluded to me. I'm from a big city and went to undergrad in one. You are surrounded by 20,000 college age kids in a pretty vibrant college/vacation town.

My main issue is how expensive everything other than rent is. Maybe its just a New York state thing.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
Ikki wrote:

I kid I kid.

But seriously.

Nonsense, we haven't gotten them back yet. I'm still expecting that call.

If YOU get that call I have no idea what's happening to me. I'll probably be kicked out for bringing the law school to a new low.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:08 pm

FlanAl wrote:
wilhay wrote:Hey,

Thanks!

So I've only been here for a little while but I tell you what I think:

Having a car would be really good but there are enough friendly people to get around without one. It does suck to not be able to go to the grocery store whenever you want.

It doesn't feel that secluded to me. I'm from a big city and went to undergrad in one. You are surrounded by 20,000 college age kids in a pretty vibrant college/vacation town.

My main issue is how expensive everything other than rent is. Maybe its just a New York state thing.

You think things are expensive? I would say it's pretty comparable to prices in San Diego. Actually, I feel San Diego is more expensive.

And you do need a car, taking the bus around and getting rides is pretty TTT.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Ikki wrote:
If YOU get that call I have no idea what's happening to me. I'll probably be kicked out for bringing the law school to a new low.

It sounds like you know who I am... creepy.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Maybe I should clarify that I find college town expensive. Enteman's Donuts are way more at wilson farms than anywhere else. Sandwiches run you the price of a quality restaurant hamburger at CTB. Bars like the palms should be cheaper. Late night food options are also grossly over priced. Don't get me wrong I love it but its definitely hit my pocket book harder than I would have expected.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:44 pm

FlanAl wrote:Maybe I should clarify that I find college town expensive. Enteman's Donuts are way more at wilson farms than anywhere else. Sandwiches run you the price of a quality restaurant hamburger at CTB. Bars like the palms should be cheaper. Late night food options are also grossly over priced. Don't get me wrong I love it but its definitely hit my pocket book harder than I would have expected.

CTB is way overrated. Pitta Pit is not that bad, Subway costs the same everywhere. Also, cooking is the way to go if you want to save money.
Arbiter213 wrote:
Ikki wrote:

It sounds like you know who I am... creepy.

Don't flatter yourself, I just have a good memory.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:00 pm

cooking is always tcr but you have to agree that the late night options are way more expensive than sd, unless the commons is where its at. Also I went to the carriage house and it was good but you get the same thing for cheaper in sd for sure. probably in NYC too

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:07 pm

FlanAl wrote:cooking is always tcr but you have to agree that the late night options are way more expensive than sd, unless the commons is where its at. Also I went to the carriage house and it was good but you get the same thing for cheaper in sd for sure. probably in NYC too

Try Phoenix and Jacks.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:26 pm

I love jack's but its not exactly what I think of when I think quality burger (gotta be 1/2lb haha). Where's phoenix? I'm kinda bummed that when I search for burgers in Ithaca five guys is the first thing that pops up haha

edited since I wrote this post thinking about hamburgers I down played jacks. Jacks is rad and I'm definitely happy it is there. Kaboom sauce for sure!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”